Installing LED headlights on previous model of PCX?

ndee

• 3 weeks later...

I've also got a 'non led' PCX (Dec 2013), I actually much prefer the look of it to the newer model but do agree the lights seem inadequate.

I personally don't think its worth the hassle and (huge?) cost to change the headlamp unit and have decided to add 2 small led cree spot lights instead. Not only are these much brighter than the new PCX lights I reckon they will further enhance the look of the bike. All for around 800 baht :-) Link below if anyone is interested...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/30W-Cree-LED-Lamp-Driving-Fog-Work-Light-Spot-Car-Motorcycle-Truck-ATV-Boat-SUV/400801738889?_trksid=p5713.c100043.m2062&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20140502134130%26meid%3Dd9c5adf7bb964ee79c78dc00a9cc63fd%26pid%3D100043%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D400801738889

• 3 weeks later...

I would never put an after market headlight in a moving vehicle as the primary light source.

I see those Fino/Scoopy hacks and the inner plastic shroud is all melted.

Besides the small risk of fire I would be more concerned the light cuts out at night when you most need it.

You could probably add the newer OEM lights but you would probably have to redo all the front bodywork too.

The light buckets aren't the same shape so the body panels won't be also.

Hi Heynow, no problem at all.

I mounted then myself to the mudguard for 3 reasons, so they don't dazzle other road users, they turn with the front wheel (a big plus when at low speed in a dark area) and the wiring is simple and vitually hidden. A local garage wired them for me for only 200 baht, took about 20 minutes and they work great. All for under 1000 baht smile.png

Just a couple of points that may help you, as I see it the only other viable mounting place for them is higher up on the side panels but I decided against this for all the above reasons plus I reckoned they would be too vulnerable to being knocked and damaged by others in tight parking places (some folk are not too careful when pulling their bikes out of a space).

The other point is I found it much easier to remove the mudguard first (only 4 bolts but a bit fiddly) and necessary to make a 'spacer' for each side due to the shape of the mudguard, I made these spacers from round pieces of black solid plastic about 12mm diameter and 16mm long, drilled through the centre for the bolt to pass through, then cut the spacer in half at an angle...this is essential as it enables the adjustment of the lights necessary. All a bit fiddly but very do-able.

You might need to experiment a bit first with spacers to get the correct angle but I reckon about 5 degrees. The end result for me was that the lights were very close to the mudguard (about 1mm clearance) and the lights did not foul on full lock. I can post more 'close pics' of the light positioning, bolts and spacers if you want.

Cheers, Ray.

p.s. I had to buy 2 x 2.5 inch ss bolts to replace the the short ones supplied.

post-63511-0-89500400-1465953791_thumb.j

Looks good; I put some lights in a similar spot on my Tricity.

Mine don't actually help light the road but I figure the car in front of me will see my weird light pattern before I pass.