Is a **copy** of your passport sufficient for the police, or do you need the real thing?

....does the OP possess a valid Tai driver's license?

That is paramount. If you HAVE a Tai driver's license----they know you possess a passport.

Comprehendo?

A THAI driving licence provides no information about a person having a legitimate presence in the country.

Only an examination of the passport will reveal the existence of a valid visa, a permission to stay or an extension of stay.

Comprende?

Depends on the license.A life time license has ID number and address.

That is paramount. If you HAVE a Tai driver's license----they know you possess a passport.

Comprehendo?

A THAI driving licence provides no information about a person having a legitimate presence in the country.

Only an examination of the passport will reveal the existence of a valid visa, a permission to stay or an extension of stay.

Comprende?

What is a lifetime license?

Both the 2 year and 5 year thai DL has your passport number and address on it

Hi,

I only moved to BKK this week, so I am not yet too familiar with regards to what is a good/safe place to get a copy of my passport and get it laminated at the same time so that I can carry it in my wallet. Any recommendations? I am living close to Terminal 21.

Thank you!

DUS

Comprehendo?

Comprende?

What is a lifetime license?

Both the 2 year and 5 year thai DL has your passport number and address on it

It's a Thai DL issued for a lifetime.I don't think they are issued anymore but most long term residents will have them.

Hi,

I only moved to BKK this week, so I am not yet too familiar with regards to what is a good/safe place to get a copy of my passport and get it laminated at the same time so that I can carry it in my wallet. Any recommendations? I am living close to Terminal 21.

Thank you!

DUS

All of this messing about with laminated copies etc.

Just photocopy the passport name/photo page and current entry stamp/permission to stay and put it in your wallet.

Some people make things too hard.

• Like 1

Comprehendo?

Comprende?

How do you obtain a TDL without a passport? Never been asked for anything else in 37 years.

Just curious. My Thai (5 year) driving licence contains my Passport number as my ID number plus my address in Thailand. Since I last renewed it I have acquired a yellow book which gives me a Thai ID number. When I renew my driving licence next year will they continue using my passport number on the licence as my ID number or will they change it to my ID number in the yellow book?

Just to add, I've been coming to Thailand for over twenty years and lived here for about twelve years and have never been asked for my passport. My driving licence has always been sufficient. I have however scanned all pages in my passport and emailed them to myself so I have them stored in my phone. I've never carried my passport with me.

Edited by sumrit

I got asked once for my passport when I was in a car with a thai girl (she was driving) at a police check point - I said I didnt have it on me, and that was pretty much the end of the conversation.... not figured that one out yet.

to those who carry photocopies of passports (I dont) do you go to the copy shop every time you get a new stamp in the passport? for example, if I go and do a 90 days report, id get a new stamp? so then I have to get a new photocopy of my stamp to show the police / whoever... anyway, I dont bother, just a thai drivers license for me.

As a previous poster commented, 90 day reports do not get stamped in your passport. What many people do, and it is acceptable to most Immigration Offices, is to photocopy the header page of your passport and on the reverse a copy of your latest permission to stay stamp. Laminated to fit in your wallet, no problem.

If you do get stopped and they request I.D., if they accept your Thai drivers license, all well and good.

You get a slip stapled to passport for 90 day but u very much doubt any police officer unless in the immigration part of the police would even bother looking at it let alone understand it. I personaly never carry passport or photo copies or pictures on phone of passport. I have never been asked for it in any police stop situation. Which for me is Purley whilst driving, and come to that I have never been asked for driving licence either (a bit of tea money yes lots of times).

Just curious. My Thai (5 year) driving licence contains my Passport number as my ID number plus my address in Thailand. Since I last renewed it I have acquired a yellow book which gives me a Thai ID number. When I renew my driving licence next year will they continue using my passport number on the licence as my ID number or will they change it to my ID number in the yellow book?

Just to add, I've been coming to Thailand for over twenty years and lived here for about twelve years and have never been asked for my passport. My driving licence has always been sufficient. I have however scanned all pages in my passport and emailed them to myself so I have them stored in my phone. I've never carried my passport with me.

ID in yellow book when you renew if you take the yellow book of course.

I was in BKK during the troubles and my wife was working close to Siam so I was regularly stopped by the military at various times, they only would ask what I was up to by never want to see a pp.

I have been stopped at many road check points in and outside off BKK and again not been asked for ID.

In all cases my Thai wife has been with me, I think that counts for something.

But, things have changed since the war on the bad guys was declared, and I would expect to be more challenged, I have a copy of my pp in the car and in my wallet, who knows if this is enough, it will depend on what the circumstances are if your stopped and importantly how you interact with whoever stops you.

• Like 1

I have a five year drivers license plus carry in my phone: passport, prior work permits from bkks better schools, original visa, extension to 2017.

Funny story. Went to foreign section of central police station around Siam to get fingerprinted. Came from school, only had the above. Forgot my pp. Older guy asks for pp which I don't have, he gets all dramatic. So, I'm apologizing, smiling, wai'ing him once solly solly. The younger guy takes my licence, copies it tells me to go have a seat. Note I'm dressed in slacks and tie. I get printed then the guy giving me the cards sits down and has a lovely chat with me (not the first old guy). In less than an hour I'm on my way. So, in the belly of the beast and left with a smile and a wave. Getting caught out on lower Suk drunk late at night or looking dodgy my hunch things will be different.

No pp, no idea. No one has. Up to them but my hunch is if you look like trouble, they will give it to you.

I go down south a lot, police check bus looking for Burmese but collect all ID. Usually they just glance at my pp. Despite going to a bungalow on a beach, I still bring the pp. It's a long way to go back home for wife while I sit in jail for my pp. These are natl police. I'd never not bring my pp down with me. Pure folly.

If I were down in nana-cowboy scum pit, which I never would br, I would have my pp. But in day time I venture without it.

Edited by 1phish2phish