Safe crackers rob home of Swedish expats in Hua Hin then celebrate with a bottle of their wine

webfact

" Khomsan the cleaner said that the CCTV system outside their property was a fake set up that didn't actually work."

my finger of suspicion points directly at " Khomsan the cleaner "

it doesnt take columbo to work this one out.....rolleyes.gif

Thats no safe, just a strong box. If you can lift it or chisel it open, don't put anything too valuable in it.

Best used as a decoy with a real safe where no-one will ever find it.

Yep, that is how you do it !!

Well it was obviously somebody the Swedish couple knew or somebody the 'house carer' knew..... You don't burgle a property and sit around drinking and eating in the kitchen unless you know you have time

Loose lips would do it.

Don't tell me their ship has sunk now, and I thought I was having a bad day!

A few Nest cameras in the house with wifi left on would have captured the entry and alerted the owners at home in Sweden and stored images of the thieves in a cloud. Their security plan of giving a local the keys to the house and exact dates of travel differ from mine a little bit. Combine limited income and opportunity and you have a recipe for theft. Theft is like water. If there is a crack, theft will find it and eventually seep through it. As far as the burglars entering the fridge, this is actually not uncommon. I was aware of one notorious burglar who woud urinate into the open orange juice containers in victims homes. It is a good practice to discard all open foods after a burglar visits you. Or perhaps (in this case) leave your own urine in an expensive wine bottle in your fridge next to the rat poisoned chocolates.

I have a nest camera too (Dropcam, older model). And it's good. EMails me when it sees any motion, or goes offline. It's more complicated than it has to be (software on computer), I feel, and more expensive. But good. And I have a feeling I might see any ne'er do wells on camera, before they come to actually do some ne'er do welling. So I will have some idea of the culprits even if they come at night or when cam is offline or whatever.

Ummm about the urine and rat poison, I know your comment was mostly in humor, although thieves have occasionally gotten the better of me, so I dream of causing them pain. But just for others who like the idea: during my time in Oz, I worked in a hospital, I heard about a case where someone died as the result of a family member deciding to store cleaning fluid in a juice container. That container wound up in the frig where another family member got to it, with disastrous consequences.

I like the idea! But if you're delayed during your trip away, etc., some other family member or friend might pay a price.

Well it was obviously somebody the Swedish couple knew or somebody the 'house carer' knew..... You don't burgle a property and sit around drinking and eating in the kitchen unless you know you have time

Loose lips would do it.

Loose lips and empty pockets; the prerequisite to many acts of scourge.

Decidedly, HH, this becomes problematic.

It is true that the cameras are often lures and security does not exist.

We entered it a few years ago, at home, in daylight. Computer, money, paper, soared.

The camera was not connected, otherwise, we could find 2 Thais thieves.

Very presumptuous....or 2 falang thieves... Edited by elektrified

The only way to punish the Thai system heavily is to boycott tourism collectively by the international communities but this is not going to happen.

I think you might find they have break and enters all over the world, this is hardly news worthy.

Inside job, loot wasn't there as was promised so to keep traditions alive getting drunk and leave.whole they still could

arrests expected when they siber up.

Edited by hgma

Inside job?

The thieves apparently were not concerned with the owners returning--they sat down for wine and chocolates. Who knew they were gone--the Thai house-sitter, but so did the neighbors.

Surely this should never have happened. They obviously informed the local RTP of their dates away and the local police promised to take care of things while they were away???

A few Nest cameras in the house with wifi left on would have captured the entry and alerted the owners at home in Sweden and stored images of the thieves in a cloud. Their security plan of giving a local the keys to the house and exact dates of travel differ from mine a little bit. Combine limited income and opportunity and you have a recipe for theft. Theft is like water. If there is a crack, theft will find it and eventually seep through it. As far as the burglars entering the fridge, this is actually not uncommon. I was aware of one notorious burglar who woud urinate into the open orange juice containers in victims homes. It is a good practice to discard all open foods after a burglar visits you. Or perhaps (in this case) leave your own urine in an expensive wine bottle in your fridge next to the rat poisoned chocolates.

I have a nest camera too (Dropcam, older model). And it's good. EMails me when it sees any motion, or goes offline. It's more complicated than it has to be (software on computer), I feel, and more expensive. But good. And I have a feeling I might see any ne'er do wells on camera, before they come to actually do some ne'er do welling. So I will have some idea of the culprits even if they come at night or when cam is offline or whatever.

Ummm about the urine and rat poison, I know your comment was mostly in humor, although thieves have occasionally gotten the better of me, so I dream of causing them pain. But just for others who like the idea: during my time in Oz, I worked in a hospital, I heard about a case where someone died as the result of a family member deciding to store cleaning fluid in a juice container. That container wound up in the frig where another family member got to it, with disastrous consequences.

I like the idea! But if you're delayed during your trip away, etc., some other family member or friend might pay a price.

If the camera is offline - how will you have any idea who the culprits may be?

What??? they had wine???how decadent! They deserved to be robbed,every penny.Now,i ask myself.What wine goes well with robbery? i would have chosen a robust,saucy,claret.Just for its sheer impertinence.Or,on the other hand a fresh,cool Pinot Gregio,for its bravery and refreshing after taste.What a load of shit! this is about as inside as Houdini's straight jacket.

Going away for months and leaving your house with a safe in it,in the care of a local.More fool them.

I'm sorry for them but have no sympathy,it was always gonna happen.