Father of a Thai child

A close friend of mine (UK) has a child with his ex Thai wife. They have been divorced for many years and the child is now 11 years old. Last week the child came to live with his father. The child holds both a Thai and UK passport and the father is listed on the birth certificate as the father but it has not been registered with the courts in Thailand.

Being as he is divorced from the mother and the birth has not been registered with the courts is he still able to receive a visa based on being the father of the child now that the child is living with him.

The financial requirement is not an issue.

If he has valid, current UK and Thai passports he needs no visas. Aged 11 he should have a Thai ID card.

If you looked closer and actually read my post you would have seen that I was referring to the father being able to get a visa based on being the father of the child and not the child getting a visa.

If he has valid, current UK and Thai passports he needs no visas. Aged 11 he should have a Thai ID card.

If you looked closer and actually read my post you would have seen that I was referring to the father being able to get a visa based on being the father of the child and not the child getting a visa.

If the father is mentioned in the birth certificate he could get a one year Multi-O.

There is no requirement to have the birth registered with the courts. Amphoes do birth registrations.

Where was the child born?

Where was the marriage and divorce done? Does he have custody of his child from the divorce?

Since they were married he is the legal father of his child

It may be possible for him to obtain an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. He would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income.

There is no requirement to have the birth registered with the courts. Amphoes do birth registrations.

Where was the marriage and divorce done? Does he have custody of his child from the divorce?

It may be possible for him to obtain an extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. He would need 400k baht in a Thai bank or proof of 40k baht income.

Child was registered at the Amphoe

Child was born in Thailand

Marriage and divorce in Thailand

Does not have custody of the child from the divorce

• If he can show 400K in the bank (on the day of application) or 40K pm income he could get either a 1 year extension of stay from immigration or a 1 year multiple entry non 'O' visa from the Thai Consulate in Penang, Malaysia.

The non 'O' visa should be easy to get.

Custody of the child might be an issue for obtaining an extension of stay at some offices, and he would be best advised to ask at his local immigration office about their criteria.

Edited by elviajero

He can get a single entry Non O visa with only a copy of birth cert and copy of childs house book which is good for 5 months at a time.

Child was registered at the Amphoe
Child was born in Thailand
Marriage and divorce in Thailand
Does not have custody of the child from the divorce

• 1 month later...

If he can show 400K in the bank (on the day of application) or 40K pm income he could get either a 1 year extension of stay from immigration or a 1 year multiple entry non 'O' visa from the Thai Consulate in Penang, Malaysia

What's the best way of doing this since, by air at least, it's impossible to get to the consulate in time to apply on the same day if you update your bank book at a branch?

By this, I mean that, if I update my bank book on a Monday and fly out to Penang the same day, I won't arrive at the consulate in time to apply.

I could apply on Tuesday the next day but, by then, the updated bank book will only have Monday's figure in it.

Is there another method of proof of 400K they will accept?

If he can show 400K in the bank (on the day of application) or 40K pm income he could get either a 1 year extension of stay from immigration or a 1 year multiple entry non 'O' visa from the Thai Consulate in Penang, Malaysia

What's the best way of doing this since, by air at least, it's impossible to get to the consulate in time to apply on the same day if you update your bank book at a branch?

By this, I mean that, if I update my bank book on a Monday and fly out to Penang the same day, I won't arrive at the consulate in time to apply.

I could apply on Tuesday the next day but, by then, the updated bank book will only have Monday's figure in it.

Is there another method of proof of 400K they will accept?

You don't need to update the passbook on the day when applying for a visa. That requirement is only for applying for an extension of stay.