Thai driver's license no longer good for "Thai price"

Trujillo

Botanical garden in mae rim offers 50% off with drivers license ... night safari 60% ... is there a list somewhere of places that offer discounts ?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Last year I got into the CM zoo at the Thai price showing my Thai DL.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got them fooled. At these dule priced attractions I often get the high price and wife and kids get the Thai price. But my wife and kids are not Thai. Hahaha... Purely discrimination based on skin color.

Hahaha... Purely discrimination based on skin color.

Totally agree, some place wouldn't care less what sort of documentation you will provide to prove you are entitled, if you look as a "foreigner", nothing it's going to work, you can even be born here, speak the language, have citizenship or having lived for a 100 years straight in the same place....welcome to Thailand!

Another example of Thais just barely tolerating foreigners...just enough to take their money.

I think your example of being a stepdad is a very valid one. The fact that you are "Dad" and support your kids in the right ways counts for nothing here. At least as far as enjoying a natural sight or national park.

I have no problem with tourists or non-residents being charged more. But expats that actually live in Thailand, i.e., have a Thai drivers license or work permit, should be charged the same as Thai citizens. This is not right.

Not sure how it is now, but used to be minimum salary for a non Thai to obtain a work permit 30,000 THB for Asians and 50,000 THB for Europeans / westerners. The average Thai person doesn't earn that much. Just a couple of examples:

4 friends what are doing their masters degree at the moment - 2 earn 15,000 THB each, 1 just changed from a job paying 12,000 to a job paying 20,000 THB (all 3 work very far from their homes and basically stay at their work place 6 days a week and sometimes much longer as in get to go home once a month or so). The 4th person had a job as a lecturer's research assistant for 3,000 THB / month.

I know there are Thais who make much more money than most expats, but still, the majority of Thais don't and the prices at national parks is calculated according to the majority. And no, the idea to collect entry prices according to the car they arrive in or ask for payslip is not a better idea than collecting according to nationality ie Thai / non Thai.

Not a problem - just don't go.

Most of them aren't worth the Thai price of admission anyway.

Bit of a wide ranging statement.

Muang Boran is well worth a visit, even at the foreigners price. This statement appears in the price list and they will accept yellow book.

** Foreign nationals who are residents of Thailand must demonstrate proof of residency at admission counter to receive the local resident rate of the admission fee by the following terms and conditions of our Muangboran The Ancient City, Samutprakan. The documentation/evidence can be used to proof of residency for the person who is the owner of the document/evidence only.

I went to China not long ago and attractions there were normally 250 Yuan (Approx 1350 Baht).

Muang Boran is privately owned. So they have come up with a decent policy that recognises resident expats. Good for them. Bad on the government. Even with permanent residence which is so hard to get and so expensive, the government is very mean with privileges.

...don't you know....it seems like: that is the real reflection of things....

...wow....I guess the only way 'we' are tolerated is if the 'odds' are 10 to 1...in 'their' favor.....

...the irony is: the likes of them...rendering all non-Thais ....sub-human......therefore...anything goes.....

Edited by SOTIRIOS

It's only a problem for those who feel discriminated against,mainly those who stay long term on extensions of stay for retirement purposes or the like and those that work for example.

What you must remember is that is the way it works here,irrespective of your immigration or work status your still not Thai nor are you entitled to anything like your hosts.

To be honest I think it's perfectly fair for them to charge foreigners more it's clear that they don't won't expats to be like their own,I mean Thai nationals don't tell immigration their address every 90 days do they.

you are not being coherent .....

Muang Boran is well worth a visit, even at the foreigners price. This statement appears in the price list and they will accept yellow book.

** Foreign nationals who are residents of Thailand must demonstrate proof of residency at admission counter to receive the local resident rate of the admission fee by the following terms and conditions of our Muangboran The Ancient City, Samutprakan. The documentation/evidence can be used to proof of residency for the person who is the owner of the document/evidence only.

I went to China not long ago and attractions there were normally 250 Yuan (Approx 1350 Baht).

And I went to niagra falls and it was free, so what's your point? The price means nothing if the "attraction" is not good. And most Thai national parks fall in that category of not good. In fact pathetic trash dumps is probably a better way to describe the average Thai national park

Muang Boran is privately owned. So they have come up with a decent policy that recognises resident expats. Good for them. Bad on the government. Even with permanent residence which is so hard to get and so expensive, the government is very mean with privileges.

Hey no online criticizing the government.You could get jailed for that.

What is everyone moaning about spending a few dollars? Cheap Charlies.

The farangs pay the standard price, the local Thais get a discount.

We are richer than them, we can afford to. We don't need the discount. If you can afford the plane ticket to get here, you can afford the extra twenty baht.

Can a Thai go to your country without a visa? And be let in for thirty days? No. Is it because "the farangs barely tolerate" the Thais?

I remember going to Disneyland and they offered 1/2 price for California residents. Along with me were two buddies from Arizona. I paid 12 dollars and they paid 24 dollars. We all joked and I ribbed them a little bit.

I remember when I went to Jr Collage. Santa Monica Jr Collage was free for residents but did have to pay for books. My fellow students who were from other States of counties did not have this privilege.

Not saying I enjoy or will pay many times the gong rate to enter a Thai National park now, in fact I don't think I will. Been to many already and felt great going in paying the "Thai price" showing my Thai drives license. I will not get that warm welcome feeling now and will vote with my feet and not go to any more.

Edited by sendbaht

I remember going to Disneyland and they offered 1/2 price for California residents. Along with me were two buddies from Arizona. I paid 12 dollars and they paid 24 dollars. We all joked and I ribbed them a little bit.

I remember when I went to Jr Collage. Santa Monica Jr Collage was free for residents but did have to pay for books. My fellow students who were from other States of counties did not have this privilege.

Not saying I enjoy or will pay many times the gong rate to enter a Thai National park now, in fact I don't think I will. Been to many already and felt great going in paying the "Thai price" showing my Thai drives license. I will not get that warm welcome feeling now and will vote with my feet and not go to any more.

The local discount being offered at Disneyland and other attractions is different than what Thailand is doing. You don't have to be a U.S. citizen to be considered a resident or local. International students can obtain a state I.D. or divers license for example and use it to get a discount to a local park. Thailand rules are based in citizenship or as others have pointed out, the color of your skin.

Thailand rules are based in citizenship or as others have pointed out, the color of your skin.

BS. Totally absurd.

There are a lot of non-Thai citizens with the same color skin as Thais, particularly in the neighboring countries.

There are a lot of Thais with a variety of skin colors which which are the same as those found in non-Thais.

I know there are Thais who make much more money than most expats, but still, the majority of Thais don't and the prices at national parks is calculated according to the majority.

If that's true, fine. So apply the calculated fee evenly without regard to race or color.

Yay, another Thai Visa thread with desperately sad people moaning about the occasional 50 baht price difference. "It's the principle"; they cry. What they mean is; "I'm cheap and that's the principle but I am never, ever going to admit that so I have to pretend it's a stand against racism instead." You might try examining the hoops that the average Thai has to jump through just to get a visa to your own country (and the additional cost and effort compared to the Westerner entering Thailand) and see that a tiny fee here and there is nothing at all to get upset about. But you're cheap, so you won't.

Yay, another Thai Visa thread with desperately sad people moaning about the occasional 50 baht price difference. "It's the principle"; they cry. What they mean is; "I'm cheap and that's the principle but I am never, ever going to admit that so I have to pretend it's a stand against racism instead." You might try examining the hoops that the average Thai has to jump through just to get a visa to your own country (and the additional cost and effort compared to the Westerner entering Thailand) and see that a tiny fee here and there is nothing at all to get upset about. But you're cheap, so you won't.

I normally agree with your posts but this is a tad off the mark. You cannot compare the benefits of temporary entrant to Thailand (as permanent is not an option for most) verses permanent migration to most western countries.

If a Thai enters most Western countries they can obtain permanent residence, citizenship, work unrestricted, sponsor family to migrate, obtain access to social security benefits after qualifying period, purchase a residence, eventually vote in an election, access universal health care (in some countries).

Given permanent migration there is a higher costs than coming to Thailand for such things as a comprehensive pre migration health assessment, law enforcement and background checks, and in some countries/visa language testing.

Having said that more than agreed that we are generally on a very good deal here. And the Thai price argument for me and any righteous indignation I display to my wife is directly related to which members, and how many, of her extended clan are attending a function/facilitie/park rather than cause friction with my diminishing tolerance of the gaggle of darlings, Farank "kee nok" is easier for her to understand and defend and have a laugh with the tribe.

Got out of Huay Tung Tao today smile.png

Oops ...back to the aircon, beer, and utter tranquility that an empty house brings.

Edited by mamborobert

What about "Thai ID" card that is pink color and foreigners can obtain by applying in the local Amphur with the passport and yellow book ?

Anyone tried to get the discount by showing that one ?

It is my understanding that pink, non Thai national, ID cards are only available for people from Lao, Myanmar and Cambodia.

If this is incorrect I would be interested in more info or confirmation from a farang who has one

Thanks

Another example of Thais just barely tolerating foreigners...just enough to take their money.

I think your example of being a stepdad is a very valid one. The fact that you are "Dad" and support your kids in the right ways counts for nothing here. At least as far as enjoying a natural sight or national park.

You already 'support' some Thai nationals why not the whole country. giggle.gif

Thailand rules are based in citizenship or as others have pointed out, the color of your skin.

BS. Totally absurd.

There are a lot of non-Thai citizens with the same color skin as Thais, particularly in the neighboring countries.

There are a lot of Thais with a variety of skin colors which which are the same as those found in non-Thais.

Okay....If your a farang then.

Edited by prism

BS. Totally absurd.

Oh so it does not include non-farangs who are not Thai citizens? Non-farangs like citizens of other Asian, African or South American countries for example?

Keep working on it, but be careful, you would not want to be racist.

Oh so it does not include non-farangs who are not Thai citizens? Non-farangs like citizens of other Asian, African or South American countries for example?

Keep working on it, but be careful, you would not want to be racist.

Okay...never mind the farang thing then. Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

Nothing worry. Thai Elite Visa lets you live in Thailand like a Thai.

And enter attractions at the cheaper Thai price? That would be ironic.

I have had many days out with the nephew and my wife, appears his Thai family don't take him many places, so when he visited us in Pattaya (school holidays) he enjoyed them. A foreigner bringing Thai kids should be given some discount and regard. Being a bit of a grump I would likely sit in the truck now rather than pay full tourist whack!

Victor Meldrew would feel right at home here amongst the WOFs of Thaivisa!

In fact they could make him their spiritual leader and sit at his feet chanting 'we don't believe it', toasting him with Chang, keyboards at the ready, wallowing in their bitterness..............smile.png

Edited by somchai jones

What is everyone moaning about spending a few dollars? Cheap Charlies.

The farangs pay the standard price, the local Thais get a discount.

We are richer than them, we can afford to. We don't need the discount. If you can afford the plane ticket to get here, you can afford the extra twenty baht.

Can a Thai go to your country without a visa? And be let in for thirty days? No. Is it because "the farangs barely tolerate" the Thais?

Can't quite work out if you have a great sense of humour or no self respect

" hey look at me, I'm such a great guy, I'm not cheap cos I'm quite happy to get ripped off just cos I look different"

It might be interesting to know the actual numbers for attendance in popular national parks around the nation as to whether most are foreigners or Thais. My guess is that the majority would be Thai. So in a sense it's more than just profiteering, it's not-so-subtle attempt to say, "Actually, we'd rather you not come here, but if you are willing to pony up two to four times the normal rate, we will tolerate you."

If indeed the Thais do make up the lion's share of entrants to national parks, that means most of the income in fees is generated from locals, which reinforces the notion that the authorities are not trying to make a killing charging foreigners more, they'd just rather not have us be there.

Give it a rest mate.

Let your paranoia be your guide and vote with your feet.

Airfares are the same for Thai's and Farangs.

You will be overjoyed with the lack of discrimination at Swampy.