Thai driver's license no longer good for "Thai price"

Trujillo

Not a problem - just don't go.

Most of them aren't worth the Thai price of admission anyway.

Bit of a wide ranging statement.

Muang Boran is well worth a visit, even at the foreigners price. This statement appears in the price list and they will accept yellow book.

** Foreign nationals who are residents of Thailand must demonstrate proof of residency at admission counter to receive the local resident rate of the admission fee by the following terms and conditions of our Muangboran The Ancient City, Samutprakan. The documentation/evidence can be used to proof of residency for the person who is the owner of the document/evidence only.

I went to China not long ago and attractions there were normally 250 Yuan (Approx 1350 Baht).

And I went to niagra falls and it was free, so what's your point? The price means nothing if the "attraction" is not good. And most Thai national parks fall in that category of not good. In fact pathetic trash dumps is probably a better way to describe the average Thai national park

Can only assume you didn't bother to read the post, just thought you read it.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..take a book..sit in the car with the air on...about time discrimination was outlawed here.

Discrimination based on origin is outlawed in the constitution, but it is not enforced. Even the Thai government break their own laws as it suits them.

They charge me half price on the Bangkok metro - age discrimination.

Yay, another Thai Visa thread with desperately sad people moaning about the occasional 50 baht price difference. "It's the principle"; they cry. What they mean is; "I'm cheap and that's the principle but I am never, ever going to admit that so I have to pretend it's a stand against racism instead." You might try examining the hoops that the average Thai has to jump through just to get a visa to your own country (and the additional cost and effort compared to the Westerner entering Thailand) and see that a tiny fee here and there is nothing at all to get upset about. But you're cheap, so you won't.

Really!!!

This is about a 50 baht price difference?

I've never been there.

Just the farang pays 50 baht more? Assuming the answer is yes..

What's the problem?

I know the "Principle of the Matter" is used often, and agree, using that term in this case would be nonsense..

Pulling the race card is even more foolish..

So, those that think they're entitled to Thai prices..

You're not!! You can just bitch and moan how terrible Thailand is.

And all I can say to those individuals..

Go home where life is safer with no drunk Thai's and apparently less expensive now.

Dual pricing... Makes more sense..

Yes, other countries don't have a separate tourist and resident price listed for all to see..

They have one price!

The highest possible price, to make the largest profit, from tourist.

In the U.S., they do give out massive discounts to just about every U.S companies/ organizations/schools and so on..

And for sure, it's a discount much larger that $1.75 or 50 baht, the residents of the U.S. are getting and not the tourist..

If you live in Thailand for years, and you believe you should pay Thai prices for everything..

Keep believing...

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a wide ranging statement.

Muang Boran is well worth a visit, even at the foreigners price. This statement appears in the price list and they will accept yellow book.

** Foreign nationals who are residents of Thailand must demonstrate proof of residency at admission counter to receive the local resident rate of the admission fee by the following terms and conditions of our Muangboran The Ancient City, Samutprakan. The documentation/evidence can be used to proof of residency for the person who is the owner of the document/evidence only.

I went to China not long ago and attractions there were normally 250 Yuan (Approx 1350 Baht).

Your Thai residence is shown on the back of your Driving Licence and used to be accepted at Muang Boran and then you can get in at Thai price. If you book on line you should book as a Thai and show your residence permit or driving licence if challenged. Only problem I have had is at the Grand Palace however when we take a party of Thai School Children around it, we get in free.

Worst venue I've encountered is the big acquariam until Siam Paragon.

Haven't been there for many years, Thai son showed my permanent residence book and Thai drivers license, cashier girl called her supervisor who was instantly obnoxious: 'are these fake'

We didn't respond, just walked out. A couple of Thais quickly berated the supervisor, she made it obvious she didn't care.

Plenty of other activities to explore for free.

Botanical garden in mae rim offers 50% off with drivers license ... night safari 60% ... is there a list somewhere of places that offer discounts ?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Show Thai PR card and it's free at the gardens.

There is no possible logical justification: if I work here, pay taxes here, am a resident here, I should be charged like the Thais.

If one really wants to introduce a two-tier system for residents, it should be based on the tax return form and not on the nationality.

There is no possible logical justification: if I work here, pay taxes here, am a resident here, I should be charged like the Thais.

If one really wants to introduce a two-tier system for residents, it should be based on the tax return form and not on the nationality.

Good thinking. By that logic the money we bring into Thailand have already had the tax paid on. Therefore, isn't it accurate to say that we paid the tax for the foreign earned income as well? Especially considering we then pay VAT on everything we buy too.

Thai driving license doesn't work for me anymore. Yellow book, work permit or pink ID card also.

But thai teacher license works for me all the time.

If you are foreigner working at school here, you can ask your school to obtain it for you.

There is justification.

YOU'RE NOT THAI!!

Plus, you most likely make more $$ than the average Thai does..

Compare what the average Thai makes in a day, to what you do..

I'm assuming you have a decent paying job, if you're a farang working in Thailand?

Anyway...

If you still feel like you should pay Thai prices..

Then quit your Thailand job!

It's on obviously not a good paying job, if you're whining about paying a few baht more than a Thai does..

And the ridiculous part about farangs complaining about paying more than a Thai...

This is done only at a few places... Where you hardly or would never go in the first place..

"A Happy Farang, is one that bitches about everything Thai"...

There is justification.

YOU'RE NOT THAI!!

Plus, you most likely make more $$ than the average Thai does..

Compare what the average Thai makes in a day, to what you do..

I'm assuming you have a decent paying job, if you're a farang working in Thailand?

Anyway...

If you still feel like you should pay Thai prices..

Then quit your Thailand job!

It's on obviously not a good paying job, if you're whining about paying a few baht more than a Thai does..

And the ridiculous part about farangs complaining about paying more than a Thai...

This is done only at a few places... Where you hardly or would never go in the first place..

"A Happy Farang, is one that bitches about everything Thai"...

By your logic ,rich Thai should pay more than poor Thai .Anyway i think all Parks should be free to everyone .

Edited by anto

• 4 months later...

This dual pricing is a thorny issue for those of us who live here and pay taxes here. On the one hand there are many Thais who earn more than I do so why should I pay more than them to visit an attraction; on the other hand I am a foreigner and will always be a foreigner here so if I dont like it I can clear off right? As I almost always visit parks and attractions with my wife and son I always show my driving licence: sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If it doesn't, I add up my Farang price and wife and child's Thai prices and then divide by three. If the resultant price seems reasonable we go in, if not we don't.  

Incidentally, the driving licence worked on Tuesday at the Fish Cave, Pangmapha. It was a quiet day and they needed the business!