Thai driver's license no longer good for "Thai price"

Trujillo

Nor will a work permit suffice.

Thai passport or ID card. Period.

I was presented this document at Monthathan Waterfall near Doi Suthep.

*Removed*

It's seven months old, but this is the first I have heard of it.

Edited by Scott
Thai language

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the clampdowns that happened after Junta takeover.. National parks boss made it clear national parks rules did not allow discounts for resident farangs.

Soon after that guidelines seem to have been pushed out to the parks and the actual people on the frontline.. Many seem apologetic about it, but the rules are clear and almost always enforced now.

Not a problem - just don't go.

Most of them aren't worth the Thai price of admission anyway.

It's only a problem for those who feel discriminated against,mainly those who stay long term on extensions of stay for retirement purposes or the like and those that work for example.

What you must remember is that is the way it works here,irrespective of your immigration or work status your still not Thai nor are you entitled to anything like your hosts.

To be honest I think it's perfectly fair for them to charge foreigners more it's clear that they don't won't expats to be like their own,I mean Thai nationals don't tell immigration their address every 90 days do they.

Another example of Thais just barely tolerating foreigners...just enough to take their money.

I think your example of being a stepdad is a very valid one. The fact that you are "Dad" and support your kids in the right ways counts for nothing here. At least as far as enjoying a natural sight or national park.

Bit of a wide ranging statement.

Muang Boran is well worth a visit, even at the foreigners price. This statement appears in the price list and they will accept yellow book.

** Foreign nationals who are residents of Thailand must demonstrate proof of residency at admission counter to receive the local resident rate of the admission fee by the following terms and conditions of our Muangboran The Ancient City, Samutprakan. The documentation/evidence can be used to proof of residency for the person who is the owner of the document/evidence only.

I went to China not long ago and attractions there were normally 250 Yuan (Approx 1350 Baht).

Another example of Thais just barely tolerating foreigners...just enough to take their money.

I think your example of being a stepdad is a very valid one. The fact that you are "Dad" and support your kids in the right ways counts for nothing here. At least as far as enjoying a natural sight or national park.

I have no problem with tourists or non-residents being charged more. But expats that actually live in Thailand, i.e., have a Thai drivers license or work permit, should be charged the same as Thai citizens. This is not right.

I have no problem with tourists or non-residents being charged more. But expats that actually live in Thailand, i.e., have a Thai drivers license or work permit, should be charged the same as Thai citizens. This is not right.

Why is it not right ?

Everyone knows that living in Thailand as a retiree or extended tourist being married to a Thai national or having Thai children affords very little recourse if any to public funds for health,social security nor are you afforded any special visa arrangements,why would you expect anything remotely the same as Thai nationals.

It has to be one of the hardest countries in the world to actually raise a family as a foreigner or work unless you work for a multi national on an expat package.

I am/was more offended by having to disclose my whereabouts every 90 days rather than being charged more to enter a national park.

Muang Boran is well worth a visit, even at the foreigners price. This statement appears in the price list and they will accept yellow book.

** Foreign nationals who are residents of Thailand must demonstrate proof of residency at admission counter to receive the local resident rate of the admission fee by the following terms and conditions of our Muangboran The Ancient City, Samutprakan. The documentation/evidence can be used to proof of residency for the person who is the owner of the document/evidence only.

I went to China not long ago and attractions there were normally 250 Yuan (Approx 1350 Baht).

Back in the day, Muang Boran didn't have the farang price. The founder didn't believe in treating people differently or trying to squeeze every last baht out of people. When he passed on, the family took over, introduced farang prices and took a more commercial approach, which I'm sure is doing very nicely for them.

re

Back in the day, Muang Boran didn't have the farang price. The founder didn't believe in treating people differently or trying to squeeze every last baht out of people. When he passed on, the family took over, introduced farang prices and took a more commercial approach, which I'm sure is doing very nicely for them.

your right !

i went to see it a few weeks ago and tried to get a discount with my 5 year

thai driving licence but it was a no no

they charged me 700 baht and it was well worth seeing even at that price

as it was another one off my bangkok ... must see .. bucket list

dave2

next stop ... the train museum near chatuchak park

post-42592-0-34348000-1463067593_thumb.j

post-42592-0-88858800-1463067618_thumb.j

The first time I went there was no entrance fee but as some of us realise,nothing stays the same. That's life.

..take a book..sit in the car with the air on...about time discrimination was outlawed here.

Nothing worry. Thai Elite Visa lets you live in Thailand like a Thai.

I can not imagine a group of expats who are more distant from living in Thailand like a Thai than the Thai elite members.

Your Thai residence is shown on the back of your Driving Licence and used to be accepted at Muang Boran and then you can get in at Thai price. If you book on line you should book as a Thai and show your residence permit or driving licence if challenged. Only problem I have had is at the Grand Palace however when we take a party of Thai School Children around it, we get in free.

Edited by Estrada

It might be interesting to know the actual numbers for attendance in popular national parks around the nation as to whether most are foreigners or Thais. My guess is that the majority would be Thai. So in a sense it's more than just profiteering, it's not-so-subtle attempt to say, "Actually, we'd rather you not come here, but if you are willing to pony up two to four times the normal rate, we will tolerate you."

If indeed the Thais do make up the lion's share of entrants to national parks, that means most of the income in fees is generated from locals, which reinforces the notion that the authorities are not trying to make a killing charging foreigners more, they'd just rather not have us be there.

Not sure what is going on at Koh Samet but just came back from there and they weren't charging anyone to enter the park. There is still a big sign hanging up for the fralng prices.