US authority indicates how to distinguish counterfeit currency

webfact

US authority indicates how to distinguish counterfeit currency

BANGKOK, 12 May 2016 (NNT) – A United States authority on currency has offered insight into spotting counterfeit bills to Thai authorities.

Director for the Federal Reserve Board's U.S. Currency Program, Michael Lambert, has pointed out 3 ways to distinguish counterfeit US currency. First, he explained that US money is made from cotton and linen and is slightly thicket than normal paper. Second, by tilting the currency its serial number should change from a copper color to green as well as appear 3 dimensional. Finally, exposure to UV light will reveal a watermark resembling the note.

Lambert indicated that is currently over 1.4 million US dollars in counterfeit US currency circulating in the world and asked for assistance in catching the copies.

He pointed out Thai currency is similarly distinguishable from counterfeits and has the same serial number effect and watermark as can be found on US money.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-12 footer_n.gif

I sold a car to a crazy Russian a few years back, he gave 10 k in US dollars, they were all bogus, some even had the same serial number, banked it at Kasikorn bank, they were none the wiser.

Free Pass.wai.gifthumbsup.gif

I'm sure Kasikorn Bank will appreciate your on-line confession of fraud. You better hope someone doesn't pass on your post to the bank and/or police.

Edited by HerbalEd

I sold a car to a crazy Russian a few years back, he gave 10 k in US dollars, they were all bogus, some even had the same serial number, banked it at Kasikorn bank, they were none the wiser.

Fine line between bravery and stupidity.

Business with Russians and admitted bank fraud.

...you decide.

In the states, stores used to have a nifty yellow iodine pen to mark larger bills. The ink changed color when run across a counterfeit bill. Apparently they are still in use but not 100% reliable.

Edited by kamahele

In the states, stores used to have a nifty yellow iodine pen to mark larger bills. The ink changed color when run across a counterfeit bill. Apparently they are still in use but not 100% reliable.

The pen is 100% unreliable if a counterfeiter deliberately wants to defeat it.

- Don't use paper

- Wash a legitimate small bill to make a larger denomination

- Use starch free cotton fiber paper

There are security markers in the bill that are easy to identify.

Note: There is no picture of a king on USA bills.

OMG ... $1.4 million (1,400,000) in counterfeit when several trillion dollars (1,000,000,000,000) in offshore bank accounts are used in criminal activity, money laundering and tax avoidance. Hardly worth worrying about in my opinion. Hell, a newbie US Congressman is worth that.

Fine line between bravery and stupidity.

Business with Russians and admitted bank fraud.

...you decide.

Stupid on both accounts

All paper money is technically counterfeit and has no true value...the value of fiat or paper currency is in the perceived value...value that the banks and governments can convince the people that it has value...

The only true value and store of wealth is in commodities...land, gold and silver, and so on...

I lived in the States for several years,and the way i used to check for fake dollars was to look closely at the note.If you look very carefully you can see small red and blue hairs in the linen.Maybe its changed now,but in the 80's, when i was there,it was the foolproof way.

I lived in the States for several years,and the way i used to check for fake dollars was to look closely at the note.If you look very carefully you can see small red and blue hairs in the linen.Maybe its changed now,but in the 80's, when i was there,it was the foolproof way.

No, you're not mistaken. The paper that US currency is printed on, is specially made for the BEP, or Bureau of Engraving and Printing by a private company under exclusive contract.

It's actually much closer to fabric if you will, than what most people think of in terms of paper. If you take normal paper and out it into a simple glass of water, in a reasonably short amount of time, the paper will begin to breakdown. The same paper currency will usually retain its integrity.

Just like how you can accidentally wash currency left in pants pockets and it usually comes out virtually the same, but a piece of common paper usually degrades in some amount. The ink too is special, but the hard part is the actual printing part because unlike normal printing where ink basically remains on the surface of the paper, with currency it's pressed into the very fibers of the paper at extremely high levels of pressure so that the ink is essentially in the middle layers and doesn't easily smudge, wear off/out and can't be easily altered.

Edited by new2here

Better also learn the Thai how to distinguish fake Euro's. They have no clue what they're doing and even don't have a blacklight.

I 'm tired of being treated like a criminal with my euro's. The real pro moneychangers don't make problems but the banks in the subs all do.

Strange, just today I heard about fake Thai bills for the first time. The wife says the local market is currently not accepting 500 and 1000 baht notes as the area is awash in counterfeit ones.

give us a clue,what area

Try using US dollars in Myanmar.......they go over them with the proverbial fine toothed comb at the airport forex counter.I was told they couldn't change a hundred dollar bill because it was the new one.

Pulled 100,00 Kyat from an ATM instead.

Went shopping at a mall and they have a machine at the money exchange booth there and changed them to Kyat no problem. Changed 200 bucks

Mind you ..try stuffing 330,000 Kyat in your wallet in 1000 Kyat notes.

Needed a hip replacement after that.

Edited by Mudcrab

Does this mean that all those $7 notes ( bills ) I've got in that shoebox in the wardrobe may not be genuine?

I mean, they had a portrait of President Clinton on them...

I'm sure Kasikorn Bank will appreciate your on-line confession of fraud. You better hope someone doesn't pass on your post to the bank and/or police.

People that rip off banks should be given a medal

Edited by LostTourist