3BB Fiber 100/10 Lan & WIFI Comparison ?

moonseeker

Hi experts

I understand LAN cable connection gets better & more stable speeds then WIFI, which is influenced by many factors.

Until recently I had Fiber 30/5 and consistently got 35/6 via LAN and a max. 5% less (33/5) via WIFI on the same fast computer.

I now have 100/10 and get 120/15 easily on LAN, but only 35/5 via WIFI. The technician told me this is normal and everybody

has the same problem...???

Seems a bit fishy, maybe the router's WIFI not suitable for those speeds?

Any ideas or explanation or personal experience in same case much appreciated. MS>

I

Sounds like that is the max speed for the WIFI of that particular router or the computer, either can be the bottleneck. You can check the WIFI data speed online for the router and as the tech is saying same for everyone that sounds like the first candidate to look at.

If it is the router being on fibre may make it harder to find another router that is suitable. The other way is to buy an access point and plug that into the router on a cable and turn off the wifi of the router. Something like http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/wireless-networking/linksys/lapn600-wireless-n600-dual-band-access-point-with-poe-p018965/ should give you plenty of speed and dual channel 2.4/5Ghz Wifi.

Cheers

Just had 3BB fiber installed into a house I move into in a few days. I'll be interested to run to see if there is any difference. I wouldn't expect that big a difference Lan vs Wifi, but good news.

I got fibre from 3bb a couple of weeks ago. I did a speed test on a tablet and got a message that 24Mbps was the maximum capable download speed on WiFi. On a LAN connection I was getting up to about 50Mbps. That was to USA and Europe. To Bangkok as you'd expect it was just under 100Mbps. I'm really pleased with it I have to say.

Hard to believe they would be installing WiFi routers that weren't either 802.11n or 802.11ac, but previous generations (802.11g and 80211.a) maxed out at 54 Mbps. A throughput of 35 Mbps maximum sounds about right for a 54 Mbps device when you allow for signal overhead.

Another slight possibility is WiFi signal congestion in the area. If you can verify you have a 802.11n or ac router, do you get faster speed by manually choosing a different channel which might not overlap so much with your neighbors?

I just had 3BB fiber installed in my home in BKK, and the Huawei router that 3BB provided is an N version, not G version.

I get 100+ Mbps on local servers via Ethernet. But on the Huawei router and my wifi N laptop via wifi in an adjoining room, I get around 30 Mbps down locally, which I think is pretty normal for a wifi N connection at distance. InSSIDer shows the strength/quality of the wifi connection as about medium.

post-58284-0-81755100-1463080881_thumb.j

BTW, I have other wifi radios in my area that I can read on my laptop at lower strength levels, but have set the Huawei router to use the freer channels among those available.

Also, I believe the maximum bandwidth possible with the wifi receiver in my laptop is 144 Mbps, but that's just a rating, not real world performance.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Sounds like you have just maxed out your Wifi connection. Keep in mind the Wifi data throughput/bandwidth will be much less than a LAN connection. For example, the older 802.11b/g (a.k.a., 54G) standard still in wide sue today will "not" have actual 54Mb throughput capability. That 54Mb throughput capability only occurs in laboratory/perfect world conditions with just the right test signal...it's the theoretical maximum speed. In the real word when all the "control bits and bytes, real world signals" are used your data throughput will be around 25 to 30Mb max on a 54G router. And for a 802.11n setup you'll probably get around 60Mb best case/typically.

Also keep in mind the Wifi speed depends on the Wifi router and the Wifi chip in your computer. You could have the fastest, latest and great Wifi router on Earth but it will not be able to move data any faster than the Wifi chip in your computer can deal with.

Real Life Speed of Wifi Routers

post-55970-0-30305400-1463111069_thumb.j

Just a real world example:

I had my 3BB Wifi router sitting on a box right behind my PC monitor in the living room, at a height where the tops of the router antennas were just about the same height as the top of the monitor screen. In other words, the monitor was physically obstructing the antennas' line of sight into my main bedroom where my connecting wifi laptop is located (also with a wall and solid wood door in between)

So just now, I raised the height of the Huawei router so its antennas are now fully above the PC monitor in front of them, and changed the directional angle of its two antennas from being kind of V shaped to being aligned more straight up at a 90-degree angle.

The strength of connection readings on my bedroom laptop, as measured by inSSIDer, went from orange colored (medium) with a RSSI score of 65-66 to green colored (good connection) with an RSSI score of 54-55. Just by making those two small changes, and nothing else. [in that rating, the lower the number means the stronger the signal.]

post-58284-0-00023400-1463113027_thumb.j

post-58284-0-35976600-1463113041_thumb.j

And then, I just re-ran the same speedtest I ran last night (albeit at a different time of day), 3 tests in succession just now, and got 37 Mbps down consistently on each result, vs 30 Mbps last night with the weaker wifi configuration before this morning's changes.

post-58284-0-38567100-1463113437_thumb.j

Also, if you compare the download wave/signal patterns of last night vs this morning on the speed test graph, this morning's result also seems to show a much more stable, consistent bandwidth.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I connected a TP-Link Archer C5 router to the 3BB router and disable WiFi on 3BB router. Now I get full speed download and uploads over WiFi on my mobile that supports 802.11ac standard (when in the same room as the router). Also get much better WiFi coverage throughout the house.

post-105784-0-00944200-1463115828_thumb.

Edited by dcoy

I have 3bb fiber as well.

But found the supplied routers WiFi to be really bad. To get around that problem I put it in bridge mode and use another router connected ( to internet with PPPoe (have the username and password supplied by 3bb ready if you do this)).

Big improvement. Used a Linksys ea6200 (with 2.4 and 5 GHz band), but still was not happy with the wireless signal to my android tv box (for iptv) .

Some days ago I bought a Asus rt-ac5300, and set that one up. A lot better WiFi (8 external antennas). Now my android box is getting a strong 5 GHz WiFi signal.

In our house, there are several phones, tablets and computers connected. That will also affect the routers ability to handle data over WiFi (simultaneous in/out transfers).

I would check your figures the 100/10 is the router speed which normally wont give you more than 54 for the download speed. You say you speed is greater than 100 which is highly suspect. The speed specified as 100 is the maximum the router can provide, it will not go over that. If it is Gbps then yes it will of course but 100/10 is way below Gbps.

Wi-Fi is affected by many things. Rain for example give high attenuation over 300MHz which the Wi-Fi exceeds so you may get drops from time too time. The hard wired cable should be consistent provided the interconnection boxes are properly sealed against water ingress and the terminations are of good quality - these are not always provided in Thailand but mostly are.

Edited by gandalf12

What happens when you run the same test, using your mobile away from the router in a different room of the house, such as, separated by a wall/door?

I get 48 Mbps when testing from the first floor living room, router is on the second floor. How much it drops depends on the wall thickness, material, distance etc.. so not a good indicator. Having said that still is a big improvement over the 3BB router.

I would check your figures the 100/10 is the router speed which normally wont give you more than 54 for the download speed. You say you speed is greater than 100 which is highly suspect. The speed specified as 100 is the maximum the router can provide, it will not go over that. If it is Gbps then yes it will of course but 100/10 is way below Gbps.

Wi-Fi is affected by many things. Rain for example give high attenuation over 300MHz which the Wi-Fi exceeds so you may get drops from time too time. The hard wired cable should be consistent provided the interconnection boxes are properly sealed against water ingress and the terminations are of good quality - these are not always provided in Thailand but mostly are.

100/10 Mbps is the 3BB fiber connection speed. They upgraded it recently from 30/3 Mbps. WiFi speeds of the router I am using (theoretical max) are 300 Mbps in 2.4Ghz + 867 Mbps in 5Ghz

Walls in Thailand are pretty Thin (no winter). Wifi signal noise is expected. If you want full 100 mbit, you need powerline AV600/1200 adapters that'll extend ethernet cable via power plugs.

Or, get another access point / router with 802.11AC protocol (2x2, 867 mbit for ac minimum, usually sold under name of AC1200 router) and if your device supports AC, you'll get full 100mbit over 5ghz band.

What happens when you run the same test, using your mobile away from the router in a different room of the house, such as, separated by a wall/door?

I get 48 Mbps when testing from the first floor living room, router is on the second floor. How much it drops depends on the wall thickness, material, distance etc.. so not a good indicator. Having said that still is a big improvement over the 3BB router.

Yes, I was trying to get a feel for how a wifi N router and receiver, such as mine, is impacted by interior walls vs. an AC router and receiver such as yours.

My home, built long ago, has thick solid walls, and my 100+ Mbps 3BB FTTH Ethernet connection drops to, after having made the placement adjustments this morning, about 37 Mbps via N wifi in an adjoining room.

Your dropoff seems to be less, but hard to know if that's a function of the different router band (AC) or things like building construction. In theory, N on 2.4 Ghz is supposed to penetrate walls better than AC on 5 Ghz.

• 1 month later...

Anyone who wants to solve their wifi issues.. feel free to contact me. We can make sure you get your full ethernet speed over wifi, and also solve all other home/office networking issues.

Aman

BangkokMac Connected Solutions

www.bangkokmac.net

We can make sure you get your full ethernet speed over wifi,

That's an interesting promise.

I'm not any kind of networking expert. But, my understanding has been that there always is going to be some drop-off in speed when making wifi connections vs a cabled ethernet connection, particularly when there's walls or other obstructions between the wifi router and the reception point, even when using the best wifi equipment.

And of course, the newer 5 GHz AC band can be considerably faster than its 2.4 GHz N predecessor, but also more prone to distance and obstruction drop-off, at least from my understanding.