Importing A Kangaroo

saraburioz

I am always reluctant to cry "liar" but in this case it is very tempting.

We managed to get 10 roos. now we have 28 and need to sell them. Two of them are preggers too. Does anyone need a kangaroo or two? Price negotiable.

Essentially, I'd like to know that there's not really anyone so (fill in your own adjective) out there.

Do you have photos, saraburioz?

Where are you located ?

Are these 20020509_daily2_b.jpg quokkas better deep fried or grilled? :D

They make great crayfish bait... so I'm told... :o

Could you ask your "source" how they run the fish hook through them? Through the eyes?

*laugingly picked out the cutest, gosh-darn-it-sweetest-looking, most huggable-looking, most innocent-looking quokka pic I could have found*

No use them as cray bait. They have been tenderised by the school leavers playing quokka soccer about this time of year, and the cray season is about to open. You will get more eating off the crays than the quokka. The good meat comes from the larger roos (tastes better too :D ), not the things the Dutch confused for rats a couple of centuries ago.

ahh ... ok, thanks for the additional tips...

:D

now, since we're on the subject of Australian meat products, how about wombat? Any good pointers or recipes for them?

Wombats are tough buggers, the truck drivers avoid the adults if they see one on the road. The driver that has made the mistake of running one over has some major repairs to do to the front-end and steering only to see the wombat disappear into the bush. Lots of explaining to the insurance company and the boss. :D

Recipes: Wombats are nocturnal vegetarian animals that live in holes in the ground they dig very efficiently. If you get near one do not try to pat them they bite and have very sharp, strong claws. If you manage to end up with a dead wombat try this.

Cut with chain saw, put into big pot, add veges, some spices and a boot or 2.

Boil for a day or three to tenderise.

Take out wombat and eat the boot, it will be easier to digest.

unappetizingwombat.jpg

It is one thing to bring some roos in, even a quokka or two, but just make sure you all do your best to keep those bloody drop bears out of Thailand, they're the last thing we need.

This thread has been fascinatingly educational. Much appreciative to the Aussies on the board and I agree, I wouldn't want these in the neighborhood here:

Dropbear.jpg

Drop Bear

Description.

The Drop Bear is described as an arboreal, (tree dwelling) carnivorous marsupial of Australia, Phascolarctus Hodgsonii, growing to around 4 feet in height. Believed to have evolved from a similar line to koalas, Drop Bears vary from 3 to 5 feet in height, but are extremely strong. They are covered in a dense fur, which can range from almost black to the Alpine Drop Bear's snowy white coat. They have broad shoulders and razor sharp claws on all four limbs. They are able to walk for short distances on two legs, but are much faster on all four, being capable of bursts of speed approaching 60 km/h at full gallop. Their heads are similar to those of koalas, but with enlarged canine teeth, not unlike those of bears or other carnivorous animals.

Thanks for the updating of this thread.

Have any success getting Quokka or Wombat imported? I think that there could be a big demand for them in the supermarkets here.

As for Drop Bear, I feel it's better if they are best left in Oz...

Edited by sriracha john

Wow 18 Roo babies in under 15 months, must be some kind of kangaroo breeding record, how do you tell that they are pregnant!!, it takes a female roo a minimum of 12 months to get the baby to leave the pouch only when it stops embryo in suckling will the fertilised dormant embryo in the womb start to form!!10 days later she gives birth to the next baby which when it crawls into the pouch is only as big as a baby ferret, if food is scarce the female roo will abort this foetus, methinks the smell of Bullshit is getting very strong mate, problem in selling them though, they make excellent dog food, and falconers all over the world use roo leather for jesses and hoods :o Nignoy

It is one thing to bring some roos in, even a quokka or two, but just make sure you all do your best to keep those bloody drop bears out of Thailand, they're the last thing we need.

This thread has been fascinatingly educational. Much appreciative to the Aussies on the board and I agree, I wouldn't want these in the neighborhood here:

Dropbear.jpg

Drop Bear

Description.

The Drop Bear is described as an arboreal, (tree dwelling) carnivorous marsupial of Australia, Phascolarctus Hodgsonii, growing to around 4 feet in height. Believed to have evolved from a similar line to koalas, Drop Bears vary from 3 to 5 feet in height, but are extremely strong. They are covered in a dense fur, which can range from almost black to the Alpine Drop Bear's snowy white coat. They have broad shoulders and razor sharp claws on all four limbs. They are able to walk for short distances on two legs, but are much faster on all four, being capable of bursts of speed approaching 60 km/h at full gallop. Their heads are similar to those of koalas, but with enlarged canine teeth, not unlike those of bears or other carnivorous animals.

yeah a mate of mine spent two months touring Oz and refused ever to park under a tree for fear of drop bears.....but no worries there's and expedition from Townsville this December going Haggis Hunting in the highlands!

I want, or rather my wife wants, to import a kangaroo or two. Has anyone any experience in doing this, or can offer any advice?

We own nearly 5,000 rai of land in various parts of the country and she is thinking of setting up a zoo on one of the estates.

:o:D:D:D

they make excellent dog food, and falconers all over the world use roo leather for jesses and hoods :o Nignoy

My dad was a professional 'roo shooter, but only for about 4 weeks a year in his holidays from his other job... he always bought back big slabs of meat for the dogs and also our Mexican Walking Fish (aka Axolotl, Salamander)... other than that he was paid per head by farmers, sold the skins to a tannery, and the carcass was just left where it fell...

The back seat of our valiant just had these hard kangaroo hides covering the seat to prevent us kids burning ourselves on the seat and the buckles... (any Aussie older than 30 knows the pain of a burning hot seatbelt buckle on soft legs)...

"What's that Skip, you would like to donate your hide to stop kid's suffering third degree burns after a day at the beach, hold on, I'll just get my Swiss Army Knife"...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Ha ha... Someone probably already has done this. Saw Wallabies at the Weekend market many years ago. They were rather small. Now if you want to import reds.... that might be a big more difficult.

Are you planning on making those coin purses? heh heh...

I want, or rather my wife wants, to import a kangaroo or two. Has anyone any experience in doing this, or can offer any advice?

We own nearly 5,000 rai of land in various parts of the country and she is thinking of setting up a zoo on one of the estates.

:o

• 8 months later...

post-21302-1213079687_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the help, especially the private messages.

We managed to get our roo - here's a photo if anyone is interested.

His name is Roger and he''s become a great friend of my family, especially the kids.

He even sleeps inside our house when it's raining as he gets scared with the noise on his corrugated iron roof of his kennel.

As a novelty food for the ex-pat market - yes, sure, but would one be able to sustain it as a business venture, and get the Thai's to climb on board as well.

They dont cost much to breed do they - Ah lar natural even supply there own baby cots.

I mean this is an animal which will live off the bush won't it?

ever heard the saying eat you out of house and home with this cuddly little pest include COUNTRY as well.

Would it be as simple as a large fenced off area, which one can just drive around in on slaughter day?

Yes just make sure you have plenty of FUEL - do you have any idea of the size of the Australian propertiers that these pests terrorise? they make Bin Laden look like an amateur

I simply dont know, but if the costs are low, why not - one wouldnt be risking too much would they? That is true only life and limb :o

Tim

:o:D:D:D

For Mark 100 :D ,A Cherry Beret Knuckledragger who can Read :D or just a Wannabee :D Nignoy

A tall tail if ever there was one :D:D:D

roy gsd

:D

Just grab one of the many stray dogs walking around. Shave him/her, stick a couple of springs on his/her hind legs, put an apron on it (apron will have a pouch) and your,re laughing. fannys your antie. :D

Is this a pucking fiss take? Two kangaroos = One zoo. Don't worry about providing a big parking lot or lots of refreshment stalls you won't be needing them.

:o maybe with 2 kangaroos on all that land it can be a sort of african/thai/aussie safari where you can drive around for hours ( maybe in a modified camoflaged 4wd tuk tuk) hoping for a glimpse of the elusive roo. I think the annual qokka soccor match would be hit, maybe chuck in a few tassie devils for good measure?

If this is not a wind up, no problems buying roo,s or wallabies,provided you can get a valid import licence, any of the reputable exotic animal traders can get them for you and providing everything is legal will deliver to your door.Nignoy

Went to Chatuchak Market many years ago and saw two Wallabies!!!