Non International Schools

ArranP

in new zealand you can go to a public school and not be disadvantaged in any way. think it is different in australia.

Why do you think Australians are disadvantaged in their public school system?

my sister teaches in australia. from my understanding the private schools get a higher proportion of government funding so the level of education in the public schools is not very good. most people i know in australia do what they can to send their kids to private schools where as in new zealand it is not seen as being so important. i need to google the percentages of kids in private education between nz and oz.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know you are looking for a non international school, however, a friend of mine just recommended me "international school phuket". much more reasonable in terms of school fees vs say head start and uses cambridge curriculum as well. fyi - im not financially involved with this school

thank you, but I need a non-international school, I am looking for my children to grow up and live in Thailand.

ArranP. i have to ask why you want to limit your kids to thailand? send them to a thai curriculum in an international school then they can decide where they live.

i know you are looking for a non international school, however, a friend of mine just recommended me "international school phuket". much more reasonable in terms of school fees vs say head start and uses cambridge curriculum as well. fyi - im not financially involved with this school

thank you, but I need a non-international school, I am looking for my children to grow up and live in Thailand.

May I ask why you are confining your children to Thailand when, with a foreign passport, they have so many more opportunities that will be available to them, if also given the appropriate education?

I know the UK and I know Thailand, in my opinion quality of life is better in Thailand.

May I ask why you are confining your children to Thailand when, with a foreign passport, they have so many more opportunities that will be available to them, if also given the appropriate education?

I know the UK and I know Thailand, in my opinion quality of life is better in Thailand.

What about the quality of education????

@ ArranP

Why not give the children the education that allows them to decide where they want to live and work in the future?

It depend where you want to live. If you see yourself going back to America or UK, choose an international school.

If you see yourself living in Thailand, choose a Thai school.

@ ArranP

Why not give the children the education that allows them to decide where they want to live and work in the future?

It depend where you want to live. If you see yourself going back to America or UK, choose an international school.

Why are you removing the option of allowing your children to chose where they wish to live in the future?

With an education from an international school, they will have the option of university and lucrative employment in the west, not so with attending a regular Thai school.

With an education from an international school, at 18 years of age, your kids can leave Thailand for further education and / or work. You don't have to leave.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ ArranP

Why are you removing the option of allowing your children to chose where they wish to live in the future?

With an education from an international school, they will have the option of university and lucrative employment in the west, not so with attending a regular Thai school.

With an education from an international school, at 18 years of age, your kids can leave Thailand for further education and / or work. You don't have to leave.

everything you are saying I know and have contemplated alot about already and arrived at my conclusion.

it depend where you want to live, a thai school is more beneficial than an international school for children who will grow up and live and work in thailand.

An interesting thread.

The only observation I would make is that I am pleased my parents did not, when I was younger, restrict my educational opportunities. I am grateful because I have been able, as a result of my Western based education, to work in many different countries around the world. Very few Thais will ever have the same options as I did and the few will, almost by definition, have been educated within International Schools.

An interesting thread.

The only observation I would make is that I am pleased my parents did not, when I was younger, restrict my educational opportunities. I am grateful because I have been able, as a result of my Western based education, to work in many different countries around the world. Very few Thais will ever have the same options as I did and the few will, almost by definition, have been educated within International Schools.

which city/town do you work now ?

An interesting thread.

Following university graduation I have worked in England, Scotland , Isle of Man, Switzerland, Germany , The Middle East, Cambodia, India, New Zealand and Africa.

I have now retired.

@ ArranP

everything you are saying I know and have contemplated alot about already and arrived at my conclusion.

it depend where you want to live, a thai school is more beneficial than an international school for children who will grow up and live and work in thailand.

sorry but this is completely wrong. your kids would be far better off in the thai curriculum in an international school, even if your plan is for them to continue to live in thailand after finishing their education. a superior education, easier access to universities in thailand, possibility of studying abroad. better networking. is it the expense of the better school that is the issue? then i could understand, in which case your kids are probably better off in your home country. i have spent years thinking about what is best for my kids. for now i am paying fees for private pre school education and may do the same for primary school here as well. as much as i hate to leave thailand they will have to go to high school in new zealand to give them the best chance at university if that is what they want to do.

An interesting thread.

Following university graduation I have worked in England, Scotland , Isle of Man, Switzerland, Germany , The Middle East, Cambodia, India, New Zealand and Africa.

I have now retired.

which country was your western based education?

An interesting thread.

I have now retired.

which country was your western based education?

UK via State Education + Russel Group university.

from my understanding the private schools get a higher proportion of government funding so the level of education in the public schools is not very good. most people i know in australia do what they can to send their kids to private schools where as in new zealand it is not seen as being so important. i need to google the percentages of kids in private education between nz and oz.

I went to private in Oz but have loads of mates that were in state schools and have done very well.

Not sure about your government funding comment, thought the state schools would get more.

please consider moving back to your country if you dont send them to darasamuth

They should come ahead of your desires

Please do not want to turn this thread into a debate about education and which country to live!

Suffice to say I would like them to grow up, live and work in Thailand. As adults, they will be competing for employment with other Thais so they need to read and write and speak Thai.

I now need to start a new thread as this has digressed too far. May I ask please do not post on the new thread as it is not intended to be a debate on about education, simply looking for a list of recommendations for non-internationals schools. Thank you in advance.

I now un-follow this thread.

from my understanding the private schools get a higher proportion of government funding so the level of education in the public schools is not very good. most people i know in australia do what they can to send their kids to private schools where as in new zealand it is not seen as being so important. i need to google the percentages of kids in private education between nz and oz.

I went to private in Oz but have loads of mates that were in state schools and have done very well.

Not sure about your government funding comment, thought the state schools would get more.

couldnt find a good answer for the funding between public and private schools. my sister who teaches in a private school in melbourne might know. australia is a great country and with alot of opportunity. you can still go to public schools and through hard work can do very well in life, much harder for those who go to public school in thailand.

did your successful friends from private schools do well in professional employment and those from public schools do well in the trades?

WHAT ?

They'll still get a Thai education speak read and write Thai in an international school

WHAT ?

They'll still get a Thai education speak read and write Thai in an international school

Yes, but the level of Thai will be much lower than on a Thai school.

WHAT ?

you can chose english programme which is only subjects taught in english or thai programme which is a mix of english and thai.

still trying to get my head around some actually wanting to send their kids to a public thai school.

I'm quite curious to hear your definition of the quality of education.

Lets hear your definition, before moving forward.

Please, do include the specifics, how you measure the quality of education.

A very complex question !

In the link two American academics set out some thoughts on the subject.

In my (simplistic !) view "education" should allow individuals to maximise their potential.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2013/10/30/10schneider.h33.html

Edited by johnatong

As another member states, it is a complex question. Whilst I have my own opinions on the subject, I think it best to stick to the specifics, as you suggest, so let's look to the numbers.

Below is a list of the top 1000 universities in the world. This website was found by a quick Google search. I can not vouch for the accuracy of this website.

http://cwur.org/2015/

Below is a list of the top Thailand universities in the list of 1000 global universities.

http://cwur.org/2015/thailand.html

You will see Chulalongkorn University is rated as Thailand's top university by some margin, coming in at 311, globally. The next best Thai university being Mahidol University, coming in at 532, globally.

Below is their website. You will see it caters to international students as well.

http://www.chula.ac.th/en/

Unfortunately, the statistics that are not known is from which high schools in Thailand many of the students of Thailand's top university come from. I'm sure they would have some students from Phuket, but I would be surprised if those Phuket students were from a regular Thai school.

Also, Thailand being so corrupt, I have no doubt many families have paid to have their children admitted, rather than them gaining admission on their merit, which would effect the accuracy of statistics, but little can be done about this.

To add opinion to my post, and discussing tertiary education, not on the job training etc, I would be looking at the high school history of the students in Thailand's top universities to see which schools are providing quality education, thus allowing students to realize their full potential, and to qualify them for tertiary education in Thailand's top universities.

This would tend to show which schools, public, private or international, that have the most successful students, by historical data. It would be my opinion that the vast majority of students in Thailand's top universities would not have come through regular Thai high schools.

What's your definition of a quality education, oilinki?

Edited by NamKangMan

^

So one of our high profile members wades in on a subject that is unlikely to impact him as as he no plan to start a family in Thailand, indeed has no long term plan to stay in Phuket, yet spouts off about education in Phuket. Give us all a break NKM.

Edited by LivinginKata

^

So one of our high profile members wades in on a subject that is unlikely to impact him as as he no plan to start a family in Thailand, indeed has no long term plan to stay in Phuket, yet spouts off about education in Phuket. Give us all a break NKM.

Do you have children going to school on Phuket, LIK?

Would you care to address my post, rather than personally attack me?

Instead of wasting everyone's time with your dribble, feel free to PM your personal attacks from now on. biggrin.png

My personal life choices in Thailand do not effect my ability to comment on this thread.

Edited by NamKangMan

<snip>

My personal life choices in Thailand do not effect my ability to comment on this thread.

But you have no personal input (as in local life experience) to the original post. That's why I did not offer any advice to the OP.

These were the questions put to me by oilinki:

"I'm quite curious to hear your definition of the quality of education."

"Lets hear your definition, before moving forward."

"Please, do include the specifics, how you measure the quality of education."

I was asked these questions, and I answered, using "specifics" in the form of university rankings etc.

Note, the questions are not Thailand specific, although i related my answers to Thailand, for the benefit of the thread.

Nowhere did oilinki ask about my personal experience sending children to school on Phuket.

LIK, how about you play the post, not the poster.

<snip>

But you have no personal input (as in local life experience) to the original post. That's why I did not offer any advice to the OP.

These were the questions put to me by oilinki:

"I'm quite curious to hear your definition of the quality of education."

"Lets hear your definition, before moving forward."

"Please, do include the specifics, how you measure the quality of education."

I was asked these questions, and I answered, using "specifics" in the form of university rankings etc.

Note, the questions are not Thailand specific, although i related my answers to Thailand, for the benefit of the thread.

Nowhere did oilinki ask about my personal experience sending children to school on Phuket.

LIK, how about you play the post, not the poster.

No, you did not answer his questions but were skirting around the subject.