Bad experience on Bus back from Bangkok

craigt3365

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a few problems over the years on the Pattaya.Bangkok, visa versa service. But nothing that would stop me from using it.

Worse was the A/C being to cold. When I got off the bus it took me about 20 minutes standing outside Tesco Lotus at On Nut to stop shivering. People must have thought I'd been on a totally different type of trip.

Go with the flow. One thing you must have learnt after living in Thailand for a few years is never take to much notice of the timings.

Had a few problems over the years on the Pattaya.Bangkok, visa versa service. But nothing that would stop me from using it.

Worse was the A/C being to cold. When I got off the bus it took me about 20 minutes standing outside Tesco Lotus at On Nut to stop shivering. People must have thought I'd been on a totally different type of trip.

Go with the flow. One thing you must have learnt after living in Thailand for a few years is never take to much notice of the timings.

I have come to expect that a/c on too high in lots of busses .You need to bring a light jacket .

There is no direct bus between Ekemai and North Pattaya.

On the way TO Bangkok it will stop at Central Bangna, HomePro BangNa, BTS UdomSuk (if needed)

On the way FROM Bangkok they often stop at Roong Ruang busstation Bang Na, Laem Chabang, Nong Yai and the intersections at Banglamung and a temple along Sukhumvit before making the U-turn back to the station.

The stop at the gas-station is not regular, but it happens.....unfortunately.

Bad aircon? Probably bus 48-1.

Last December l took a bus from North Pattaya direct to Ekemai, no stops (Baht 115).

The airconditioner was not ok though- it was absolutely freezing cold.

l noticed that someone before me had tried to block the vents with cardboard to stop the cold air.

l was so glad to get off that bus!

Been doing the same nua to ekamai trip regularly for months now. Never happened once until last trip a week or so ago both trips out and back stopped at that exact same gas station.

My guess is paid off with cheap fuel to force passengers into the shop. Made a long enough journey even worse, will be looking into alternatives from now on.

I saw some buses in the back, so might be part of the company? I was worried about a scam as the store was packed with people buying all sorts of stuff. But I saw the drivers pay for their own coffee, etc. So don't think it's a scam.

I've been doing this route for years. Never had them stop for gas. Yes, they sometimes detour towards Harbor Mall for drop offs. But never fuel.

My wife has tried to call the number on the bus ticket. No one answers! LOL

I think I'll drive to the airport and take the train in from there.

I left from the North pattaya station. Returned with the same company. Via Ekamai. Lady at the counter at Ekamai said it was a direct bus. No stops. LOL

Had to go near the US Embassy. So the airport bus would not have been as convenient.

I've done this many times over the years. Never stopped for fuel!

Must have been a utterly terrible experience for you. Hope you recovered well Craig.

I think I'll drive to the airport and take the train in from there.

If you have decided to go via the airport anyway I would definitely consider using the Jomtien airport bus.

Hourly, direct (really!), bookable, reliable, cheap. Dragon ladies to keep the rabble in order. Hard to fault it really. Combined with the airport train it's about as good as it gets, assuming that the Jomtien terminal is convenient also.

I left from the North pattaya station. Returned with the same company. Via Ekamai. Lady at the counter at Ekamai said it was a direct bus. No stops. LOL

Had to go near the US Embassy. So the airport bus would not have been as convenient.

Must have been a utterly terrible experience for you. Hope you recovered well Craig.

Thanks. I didn't put this in, but I got some food on the way there and it was obviously not good. I was sick as a dog on the way to Bangkok. Barely able to keep from puking! Same on the way back, even after a trip to the pharmacy. Not good with little AC, and the extra stop in the middle of nowhere. LOL

I was on the Ekamai to Pattaya bus on Thursday.....fell asleep at On Nit and when I woke up we were out near Suvarnavhumi Aiport and headed to the motor way.....???? Went through Laem Chabang and the whole trip took close to 4 hours.....in my 12+ years taking this bus trip have never taken the same route twice.....sometimes it is like a taxi cab....dropping folks off at all spots on the map......there has to be a better way.....please...?

I was on one that arrived at Hwy 36/Sukhumvit junction, then took a right turn instead of left and headed into Laem Chabang and went well past the Harbor Mall to drop some 'friends' off. Seems like they are in no hurry to get horny farangs to their destination.

If you purchase a ticket from the window at Ekemai bus station, there should be no problem ( except stopping along the way to drop a few people along the bus route). I have taken the bus from the bus terminal on Pattaya north & never had a problem. - Tske a nap & hop of at Udom Suk Skytrain station & all set!! Also returning. I prefer this transportation than hopping in a taxi. I never can predict what the driver will be like

I now avoid taking the bus from north pattaya station.

the airport bus is most convenient for me when I got to bangkok because I take the airport link from the airport to reach the city - no jams - usually getting off at makkasan.

from makkasan, the US Embassy is easy to reach.

The problem with the bus from the airport to Pattaya is, that the average waiting-time can be up to 2.5 hours, but will be at least 1 hour. At least, that's my experience.

you can buy tickets for up to 24h in advance AFAIK, that's really good for a daytrip to BKK

I now avoid taking the bus from north pattaya station.

the airport bus is most convenient for me when I got to bangkok because I take the airport link from the airport to reach the city - no jams - usually getting off at makkasan.

from makkasan, the US Embassy is easy to reach.

Sorry to go off topic, but since I'm the OP. LOL. I looked into this. I'm not going to the US embassy, but the Uzbekistan embassy. A bit towards Suk from the US embassy.

The skytrain takes me within a few hundred meters of there. Easy and short walk. Makkasan seems quite a bit further. Either taxi or a switch to the skytrain.

I get off at Udom Suk station. Before Ekamai. Hardly any traffic to that point. So it's a short trip to Ploen Chit. What do you think????? I'm open to options! I have to go again on Wednesday. Ugh.

I would still take the bus in Jomtien.

Buy a ticket for the way back when you are at the airport, then take the Rail Link until Phaya Thai, and from there the Skytrain until Ploen Chit.

I think this is the most comnfortable way to get to Ploen Chit. There are shorter ways, but they include more walking and heat.

A taxi is worth considering, especially if there is more than one person. Around 1400 baht, including highway tolls. In Pattaya there are street booths to book them. I have twice used the booth opposite the Dynasty Hotel and all was fine.

Sometimes the so called direct buses do make some alternate routes , I also experienced one time a fuel stop and dropping passengers off in Chonburi , we were delayed at least 30 minutes.

Been doing the same nua to ekamai trip regularly for months now. Never happened once until last trip a week or so ago both trips out and back stopped at that exact same gas station.

My guess is paid off with cheap fuel to force passengers into the shop. Made a long enough journey even worse, will be looking into alternatives from now on.

My guess is that buses aren't leaving with a full tank anymore; if they ever did. They have the minimum in the tank for an un-delayed trip but when they invariably get stuck in traffic, they need to top-up to get to the destination. Sounds unlikely? This is standard for all those private-hire minibuses that used to be busy when visa runs were big business. Also applies to any Bangkok or airport taxi waiting for a return hire. They are sitting with maybe 50 bahts worth of fuel and if someone hires it, they have to stop and fill up some time during the trip. The Thai economy is a basket case and I would not be surprised if some bus fleet operators that have slim-to-non profit margins are resorting to penny pinching like this.

My guess is that buses aren't leaving with a full tank anymore; if they ever did. They have the minimum in the tank for an un-delayed trip but when they invariably get stuck in traffic, they need to top-up to get to the destination. Sounds unlikely? This is standard for all those private-hire minibuses that used to be busy when visa runs were big business. Also applies to any Bangkok or airport taxi waiting for a return hire. They are sitting with maybe 50 bahts worth of fuel and if someone hires it, they have to stop and fill up some time during the trip. The Thai economy is a basket case and I would not be surprised if some bus fleet operators that have slim-to-non profit margins are resorting to penny pinching like this.

You theory breaks down because the buses run to a 'time table' and will run almost empty. I have been on one that had less than 10 passengers.

If they don't run then they don't get to Pattaya to pick up the people waiting there. In all my years of taking the bus it has never stopped for fuel, so I think the OP was just unlucky.

exactly the same thing happened to me tonight (Sunday) as the OP, though i picked up the Ekkamai bus at Bangna. The funny thing was that i had a 5pm ticket, but there was a spare seat on the 4.40pm bus (an old clunker). As we did the u-turn on Suk to go the back way through North Pattaya, the 5pm bus was in front. So i lost about 30 seconds by getting the 20 minute earlier bus. laugh.pngfacepalm.gif

Beforehand i had just had a 4 hour mini-van ride, so by the time we stopped at the NGV station i was already in Zen mode. wai2.gif

my issue is not so much with the waits but with the u-turns across busy fast moving traffic that these type of bus regularly do to get to the gas stations

That's an insane u-turn they do. Really unsafe.

I used to take the bus regularly from Chonburi down to Pattaya and that happened to me a few times, natural gas rather than petrol, and that takes about half an hour. Pain in the xxxx.

I have also been on the Rayong bus and been kicked off at the 36 because the driver decided against the Sattahip route. This was before the road works and a bigger pain than stopping for fuel. It was a baht bus to Naklua and then another to Pattaya.

The buses are a lot fewer now than they were but a much better option than the minibus.

A taxi is worth considering, especially if there is more than one person. Around 1400 baht, including highway tolls. In Pattaya there are street booths to book them. I have twice used the booth opposite the Dynasty Hotel and all was fine.

The highway tolls from Chonburi to Pattaya are well on the way to completion . Most now have the booths in place and some have the lights working. I suspect that due to the extensive road works the one at the end of the Chonburi bypass is the furthest behind so probably become the main indicator.

We used to pay 30 baht from Phanat Nikhom to Lat Krabang but that jumped to 45 baht a couple of week ago. It is not out of the question that Lat Krabang to Pattaya could end up at over 100 baht.

I used to take the bus regularly from Chonburi down to Pattaya and that happened to me a few times, natural gas rather than petrol, and that takes about half an hour. Pain in the xxxx.

I have also been on the Rayong bus and been kicked off at the 36 because the driver decided against the Sattahip route. This was before the road works and a bigger pain than stopping for fuel. It was a baht bus to Naklua and then another to Pattaya.

The buses are a lot fewer now than they were but a much better option than the minibus.

I happened to notice a bunch of buses at their station near BangNa. Never seen that many before. All just sitting there, like in storage. Maybe fewer buses, fewer tourists?

I don't like minibuses. Just can't do that. I've got to do the trip again Wednesday. I'll report back how it goes.

MrT taxi is B1100 Pats to BKK

An inside source told me a couple of months ago the bus company is having a tough time to get and to keep drivers. I have seen many times in Bangkok the bus arriving, unloading, then pulling right into the bus bay for another run. By the way, they get a base salary and "bonus" for every run they do.

I happened to notice a bunch of buses at their station near BangNa. Never seen that many before. All just sitting there, like in storage. Maybe fewer buses, fewer tourists?

I don't like minibuses. Just can't do that. I've got to do the trip again Wednesday. I'll report back how it goes.

No its the minibuses that have forced them off the road. One time I made the mistake of getting into a minibus that was only half full. Quarter an hour later he joined the queue at Bang Saen. There was about 7 or 8 minibuses in the queue so it was over half an hour before we carried on.

obviously fewer buses; usually every 20 minutes a bus from North Pattaya to Bangkok........waiting time atm 1.5 hour (17-5-16 10:18 am)

Archived