Yingluck stands trial for rice scheme in Supreme Court

webfact

She will be found guilty sentenced to 2 years, ask if she can go on a shopping trip to buy a new handbag in Paris and run away and live with big bruv in the land of camel herders

Nope - She will be banned for 5 years in politics and of course found guilty. She certainly will not be jailed. Thaksin surely is a crook but if the Junta jails her, you can be for sure he will release a big list of who pocketed how much including all the army and police generals. At the moment is is just keeping a low profile but this will change when they jail her sister.

No hi so's are going to jail in Thailand and Yingluck would be the first.

When Chuan Lekpai's brother cheated over 10 million USD from Thai Farmers Bank (Now Kassikorn) his brother was able to stay in Thai on his Thai passport and he only returned to Thailand after the statute of limitation had expired.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can tell how serious this all is.The question that will tell you is 'Have you asked Ms Shinawatara to surrender her passport?'

If not then there is no point in getting all worked up,because she will be gone in next to no time after her brown envelopes have gone to the relevant parties.This will solve all problems.It will save face because she has absconded but she is still a wanted criminal.In absentia.

It will save any further action being carried out by the authorities.

The old man Shin will bare the blame that he coerced her

No one will have be responsible for her imprisonment should Our friend Thaksin should ever return,to inflict reprisals.

Win win situation all round.

Oh come on yellowboat.

'hatred' ? You don't like the truth about the mishandling of the RPPS or you don't agree with given Ms. Yingluck a chance to defend herself?

As for the usual distraction., Ms. Yingluck referred to a dying democracy in relation to having been asked to show accountability. Some posters seem to agree that she's too nice to need to be accountable.

This is where your bind hatred gets you into trouble. The truth is the RPPS should have never even been discussed let alone executed. Governments should not get in the way of a free market. She and her government did exactly that. Your mentioning that it was "mishandled" only lends credibility to the RPPS and that you favor such schemes. It should have never even come to be.

The question is where does her guilt lay and will that will she be judged fairly ?

She needs to be held accountable to the failed scheme, but she will be held accountable by a government that is and never will be accountable. That alone casts dubious shadows on her's and others plight at this time.

Your famous tirades against Yingluck will no longer be entertained. You are confused and need a more worthy cause to apply your energies.

I admit I don't adore Ms. Yingluck to the level shown by some Lanna guys, but that doesn't mean I hate her. If you bother to check you'll see that whenever the topic arises I speak in favour of Ms. Yingluck getting the opportunity to explain her RPPS in court.

By the way you do come up with some novel reasoning. Me calling the RPPS mishandled and a scam lends it credibility and show I favour the scam? That's new to me. What I've said a few times is that a Rice Price Pledge Subsidy with a hundred or so billion Baht reservation in the National Budget could be explained and would not have caused Ms. Yingluck the headache she has today. As some here alwayslike to point out all know that 'subsidies' lose money. Very unfortunate Ms. Yingluck positioned her RPPS as 'self-financing', her hand-picked cabinet came with reasoning why it would be 'self-financing' and now the court wants to know why the scam was allowed to continue and why that shouldn't mean Ms. Yingluck was somewhat negligent.

As for 'my famous tirades', that's really entertaining. Had I known I would have put a copyright on them. Mind you, I had no idea my rather straight and logical posts would be seen as 'tirades'.

Are courts preparing preemptive indictments for governments proposed palm oil pledging scheme? And what became of the rubber support program? Guess that is okay because not corrupt redshirts but rather impeccable Suthep and other junta fans.

Let's not forget the 11 wealthy family's he gave away land to instead of the POOR famers, what's nothing to answer for? you junta fan boy's love to let that one slide but the big one you just play three wise monkeys is suthep admitted that he and the military planed the coup long before it came about.

So you see you few fan boys have back liars and corrupt cheats when the truth is found, NOTHING,,, if you had any integrity at all you would be calling for these blokes that are court out just as hard as you bay for the blood of the Shiz, and when you defend and protest for them you show your true colors.

Try being honest and balanced, you have read dozens of posts on these threads from the 'junta fan boys' as you like to call them, indicating that all wrong doers should be investigated tried and if found guilty punished appropriately.

In discussions like this, there appears to me to be a complete lack of focus on the initial purpose of the rice scheme.
There is rarely just one single reason or purpose for a particular policy. In the case of the rice scheme, there were a number of 'hoped for' benefits.
(1) The rice farmers would benefit from the higher price paid to them.
(2) The rice farmers, and those in related activities and economies, would appreciate the Yingluck government's policy and would help vote the government back in power. Nothing wrong with that.
(3) The cost of the scheme would be paid for, as a result of generally higher, world-wide prices for rice, since Thailand is a major exporter of rice, and the shortage of supply would drive up prices according to the general economic principle of 'supply and demand'.
The third reason for this scheme is the one which was flawed. Attempting to help a particular group gain greater wealth by artificially raising prices, is not sound economics. I'm reminded of the Oil Cartel of Saudi Arabia, who restricted the supply of oil in order to raise prices.
The Yingluck government appears to have used this as a model. She, and her advisers, should have realised that such a tactic would result in rice growers in other countries increasing production, as a result of any shortage and increase in price.
Failing to take into account this natural, economic response to a higher rice price, as a result of her policy, is her major fault. Isn't she supposed to have a degree in economics?
The main question for me is, how could such a person with a degree in economics, not understand the economic consequences of her rice scheme, considering that we have a 'world economy'?

I think the worst aspect of the policy, the excessive price paid by the government for rice, was the direct result of a sort of bidding war in the national political campaign. PTP outbid the opposition, but bid way too much.

Today’s hearing saw two state witnesses testifying the court about her in the rice scheme which inflicted damages of over 500 billion baht to the state.

no bias built into that reporting... whistling.gif

Exactly.

It is an article of faith for many that there have been damages to the State of 500, 600, 800 billion baht.

On several occasions, I have asked for links to any sort of accounting for those very large numbers; perhaps it is just my wishful thinking that the prosecution of Yingluck would have figured out the basis for the number before proceeding with the case. Alas, the numbers appear to be magically preordained. Having been reported by NACC as a gross figure, they must be right.

I have done my own calculations. I can trace a loss of 200 to 250 billion to the market fluctuation that occurred during the program period, in which India nicely flooded the market with rice, and Thailand was literally left holding a very large bag of overpriced rice.

I suppose the simple definition of loss is (money out) - (money in).

This ignores the stimulative effect of the money which found its way to farmers or the widely mentioned middle men. We can assume most of this money got circulated in the economy somehow, rather than being stashed in coffee cans somewhere. So clearly there was a stimulative spending benefit for Thailand (with typical multipliers in the range of 0.5 to 1.5, this figure could be very large). And the current regime obviously believes in that same stimulative effect, given their multiple programs for rice and rubber farmers. So an accounting of the rice scheme should at least have a footnote about that.

I guess balance sheet thinking will not be permitted. Supreme Court Justice, with no avenue for appeal, must be served, and before the next general election.

populist policies from our opponents; bad, in fact, criminal.

populist policies from us: not only good, but not called "populist"...

cheesy.gif

The usual deflection from a 'self-financing' scheme gone wrong.

Balance sheet? Pheu thai stated to have paid 870,018 million baht directly to 1.4m rice farming families after they had stated that their wonderfull scam aimed at 3.7 million rice farming families which represented 23% of the Thai population. No one can tell how many %% those 1.4m reached represent. No balance sheet, only conflicting figures from Pheu Thai and Ms. Yingluck's government.

It takes a court case to try to get to the details and it takes a court case to get Shinawatra defenders into a frenzy again with dis-information.

Your last sentence really surprised me.

I would hope, based on NACC conducting an investigation, and the prosecutor agreeing to move forward in a division of the Supreme Court, that most of the important "details" would be known going into the trial. Do you agree? Or are you thinking this trial is a "fishing expedition"?

probably not, but he could always give it another go.

but maybe next time he can figure out the facts, a government subsidy is not stealing from the Thai people. In fact, the economy in Isaan got a boast from the program and tanked after it. It may not have been well run, but it did help the economy here, ... which was one of the goals as I recall.

So it should have been allowed to continue, then. As long as you and your mates in Isaan are doing all right, who cares about the rest of the country, or how it will be financed, or what to do with the mountains of rice. Have I got the local sentiment right?

Funny you should say that, as the shoe has been on the other foot for decades. I have no problem with Isaan getting something now and then.

cheesy.gif

Balance sheet? Pheu thai stated to have paid 870,018 million baht directly to 1.4m rice farming families after they had stated that their wonderfull scam aimed at 3.7 million rice farming families which represented 23% of the Thai population. No one can tell how many %% those 1.4m reached represent. No balance sheet, only conflicting figures from Pheu Thai and Ms. Yingluck's government.

It takes a court case to try to get to the details and it takes a court case to get Shinawatra defenders into a frenzy again with dis-information.

I would hope, based on NACC conducting an investigation, and the prosecutor agreeing to move forward in a division of the Supreme Court, that most of the important "details" would be known going into the trial. Do you agree? Or are you thinking this trial is a "fishing expedition"?

What about the accused being given the opportunity to defend herself? Don't you think that important?

BTW Ms. Yingluck's legal team got a cupboard full of documentation the prosecutor deposited as part of the charge. The team has asked for hundreds of witnesses to be called up. It would seem even Ms. Yingluck's legal team doesn't think all is known yet.

Are courts preparing preemptive indictments for governments proposed palm oil pledging scheme? And what became of the rubber support program? Guess that is okay because not corrupt redshirts but rather impeccable Suthep and other junta fans.

Let's not forget the 11 wealthy family's he gave away land to instead of the POOR famers, what's nothing to answer for? you junta fan boy's love to let that one slide but the big one you just play three wise monkeys is suthep admitted that he and the military planed the coup long before it came about.

So you see you few fan boys have back liars and corrupt cheats when the truth is found, NOTHING,,, if you had any integrity at all you would be calling for these blokes that are court out just as hard as you bay for the blood of the Shiz, and when you defend and protest for them you show your true colors.

I suppose that you understand that this is about Yingluck Shinawatra and HER court case which has nothing to do with Suthep at all. If it is an attempt the divert the subject as you quite often try to do, it failed.

Can you PLEASE stick to the topic in hand.

If you wish to slag off Suthep then either find the original thread about it or start a new thread yourself.

I suppose that you understand that this is about Yingluck Shinawatra and HER court case which has nothing to do with Suthep at all. If it is an attempt the divert the subject as you quite often try to do, it failed.

If you wish to slag off Suthep then either find the original thread about it or start a new thread yourself.

Oh, this is quite normal on this forum, especially the but Thaksin posts. In line of that I find this one quite refreshing and original, it cannot counterbalance the but Thaksin of course (not by a long shot), it is however on topic, as it indicates Justice in Thailand isn't equal for all.

A point that must be made, also because the government du jour has awarded themselves amnesty for past and future crimes.

Oh, this is quite normal on this forum, especially the but Thaksin posts. In line of that I find this one quite refreshing and original, it cannot counterbalance the but Thaksin of course (not by a long shot), it is however on topic, as it indicates Justice in Thailand isn't equal for all.

A point that must be made, also because the government du jour has awarded themselves amnesty for past and future crimes.

but at least Ms. Yinlguck gets a chance to explain her RPPS in court.

Not a great idea, but one wonders if she will get a fair trial.

Fair or foul - as long as they bring down the Shinawatra clan.

This corrupt family has been a plague on Thailand.

Yes, if they get rid of the Shins all corruption and nepotism will end!

No, but it´s a start!

As long as the same courtesy is extended to the current government I'm all in. I would like them to explain the coup, the human rights abuses and the corruption they execute as I write this.

At least Yingluck did have a mandate..

cheesy.gif

What about the accused being given the opportunity to defend herself? Don't you think that important?

BTW Ms. Yingluck's legal team got a cupboard full of documentation the prosecutor deposited as part of the charge. The team has asked for hundreds of witnesses to be called up. It would seem even Ms. Yingluck's legal team doesn't think all is known yet.

As usual, you can't even respond to a simple question.

I don't know what Yingluck legal team "thinks", and neither do you.

In addition, I was not talking about the defense strategy; I was commenting on the prosecution readiness to go to trial. These two things are not the same.

Fair or foul - as long as they bring down the Shinawatra clan.

This corrupt family has been a plague on Thailand.

Yes, if they get rid of the Shins all corruption and nepotism will end!

No, but it´s a start!

It's not a start of anything, it's just a power struggle. Do you really think the junta has started rooting out corruption?cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

As long as the same courtesy is extended to the current government I'm all in. I would like them to explain the coup, the human rights abuses and the corruption they execute as I write this.

Yes she did have mandate of sorts but failed to the level of dereliction of her duties and her responsibilities to fulfill any of it.

The big problem with politics all around the world is .....................................

many people are unhappy with the people in power .....................................

but the alternative choice is in many cases ------no better.

Look at USA, Australia, UK, Germany just to name a few.

Yes she did have mandate of sorts but failed to the level of dereliction of her duties and her responsibilities to fulfill any of it.

No that is what she is accused off, to the best of my knowledge she hasn't been convicted yet.

I am sure she will be convicted, even if the evidence is not sufficient, in true Thai Justice style...

I think it is fair to criticize both the previous elected government and the current Junta when it comes to reform, and stopping corruption.

Neither regime introduced systemic changes to create better conditions for detecting and prosecuting corrupt practices (NACC, for example, was introduced way before the Yingluck government.)

The Junta has Section 44 at its disposal, and has used it to reassign some officials. I just reviewed a list of Section 44 orders (in an article published outside of Thailand), and it is not terribly impressive. Also, one could be excused for being a bit suspect of some of the actions, there being no official explanation for the alleged transgressions. It's possible the Junta is simply putting some more loyal officials in place.

At any rate, the national Reform Steering Assembly continues to muddle along, and the potential for lasting reform slips away.

coffee1.gif

A fair trial in Thailand? You got to be joking with the military now allowed to fire and hire whatever judges they require to reach a predetermined outcome. Fair that nobody is "allowed" to discuss, debate or comment in public on one of the most important national decisions they might ever have to make: A new charter which is "theorically" supposed to lead the country towards more democracy with an "appointed" Senate? Laugh that one off!

Many countries in the world have appointed upper houses, UK,and Ireland for starters.

PTP blocked the election of provisional governors preferring that they appointed them. So much for their democracy.

Those don't have the amount of power that the proposed senate in Thailand will have, next.

So what? The point, as you very well know, is that PTP only like democracy and elections when it suits them. The ability to place cronies in governor positions is something they wanted to retain,

As usual, you can't even respond to a simple question.

I don't know what Yingluck legal team "thinks", and neither do you.

In addition, I was not talking about the defense strategy; I was commenting on the prosecution readiness to go to trial. These two things are not the same.

It would seem the prosecution had sufficient information to allow it to start the proceedings. The charge being 'negligence'. What with both Ms. Yingluck and her cabinet frequently going on record to 'explain' their wonderful self-financing scheme till in 2013 even they had to admit to 'no more than 200 something billion Baht losses in less than two years, the prosecution should have an easy job.

Furthermore Ms. Yingluck went on record to be in charge and only she at that (even as late as November 2013 during the last censure debate).

Of course personally I don't see a case of 'negligence' but only one of criminally deceiving the public to defraud the state of billions of funds to finance the Pheu Thai coffers, but that's my personal opinion. BTW I'm not saying here that I believe Ms. Yingluck profited financially herself, she had no need for that. She may have profited indirectly though through a financially strengthened political apparatus.

Response to MZurf post #106.

The future will tell, but I think they are trying and I am sure they will do better than this group did.

If they really wanted to root out corruption they would have let people research their wealth, because unless the people at the top are clean the whole thing is just a charade.

And we all know what happened when journalists started asking questions about the "PM's" unusual wealth, right?

No.. It confirms what we already know... The majority of Thai people are extremely poor and worry about food on the table TODAY... How I'm going to pay for it I will maybe worry about next week...

Few Thai people can comprehend the sum the was stolen by this one individual... So it's irrelevant to them...

And this RPP 500 billion is just another drop in the ocean...

Like them or not... Justice must be seen to be done...

Justice ? Justice isn't being done in Thailand. Never has and never will. Meanwhile, the current rulers, who don't have any legitimacy and came to power by the thread of violence, have an amnesty for past and future crimes.

The 500 billion "loss' will amount to nothing what the current rulers are throwing away, and other then Yingluck, they do not have a mandate from the Thai electorate.

Yingluck lost her mandate the day she was removed from office by a court for abuse of power and nepotism.

No.. It confirms what we already know... The majority of Thai people are extremely poor and worry about food on the table TODAY... How I'm going to pay for it I will maybe worry about next week...

Few Thai people can comprehend the sum the was stolen by this one individual... So it's irrelevant to them...

And this RPP 500 billion is just another drop in the ocean...

Like them or not... Justice must be seen to be done...

Justice ? Justice isn't being done in Thailand. Never has and never will. Meanwhile, the current rulers, who don't have any legitimacy and came to power by the thread of violence, have an amnesty for past and future crimes.

The 500 billion "loss' will amount to nothing what the current rulers are throwing away, and other then Yingluck, they do not have a mandate from the Thai electorate.

Yingluck lost her mandate the day she was removed from office by a court for abuse of power and nepotism.

probably not, but he could always give it another go.

but maybe next time he can figure out the facts, a government subsidy is not stealing from the Thai people. In fact, the economy in Isaan got a boast from the program and tanked after it. It may not have been well run, but it did help the economy here, ... which was one of the goals as I recall.

But it wasn't a government subsidy, budgeted for properly, with audited accounts showing where exactly the money went.

Now was it?

It might have helped the economy but it helped some individuals a damn sit more - and they certainly weren't poor, farmers, or particularly honest.

Response to MZurf post #106.

The future will tell, but I think they are trying and I am sure they will do better than this group did.

If they really wanted to root out corruption they would have let people research their wealth, because unless the people at the top are clean the whole thing is just a charade.

And we all know what happened when journalists started asking questions about the "PM's" unusual wealth, right?

So we should wait until some perfectly clean and honest persons work their way to the top of a corrupt system before there is any attempt to prosecute the blatantly guilty?

BTW which PM/journalists were you asking about?

Today’s hearing saw two state witnesses testifying the court about her in the rice scheme which inflicted damages of over 500 billion baht to the state.

no bias built into that reporting... whistling.gif

Exactly.

It is an article of faith for many that there have been damages to the State of 500, 600, 800 billion baht.

On several occasions, I have asked for links to any sort of accounting for those very large numbers; perhaps it is just my wishful thinking that the prosecution of Yingluck would have figured out the basis for the number before proceeding with the case. Alas, the numbers appear to be magically preordained. Having been reported by NACC as a gross figure, they must be right.

I have done my own calculations. I can trace a loss of 200 to 250 billion to the market fluctuation that occurred during the program period, in which India nicely flooded the market with rice, and Thailand was literally left holding a very large bag of overpriced rice.

I suppose the simple definition of loss is (money out) - (money in).

This ignores the stimulative effect of the money which found its way to farmers or the widely mentioned middle men. We can assume most of this money got circulated in the economy somehow, rather than being stashed in coffee cans somewhere. So clearly there was a stimulative spending benefit for Thailand (with typical multipliers in the range of 0.5 to 1.5, this figure could be very large). And the current regime obviously believes in that same stimulative effect, given their multiple programs for rice and rubber farmers. So an accounting of the rice scheme should at least have a footnote about that.

I guess balance sheet thinking will not be permitted. Supreme Court Justice, with no avenue for appeal, must be served, and before the next general election.

Have you seen any accounts? No, no one has. PTP have never released anything except a series of changing and different figures from the Commerce and Finance ministries.

Do you know how much of the money went to the farmers, how much was spent on "operational" costs and what if any appears to be unaccounted for?

But hey, you carry on making up figures to show the Shins in a good light if it pleasures you. Keep going and you'll be claiming a profit soon. Don't forget Yingluck said you have to remember the social benefits it provided when she forgot it was an off budget self financing scheme for a minute.

Oh come on yellowboat.

'hatred' ? You don't like the truth about the mishandling of the RPPS or you don't agree with given Ms. Yingluck a chance to defend herself?

As for the usual distraction., Ms. Yingluck referred to a dying democracy in relation to having been asked to show accountability. Some posters seem to agree that she's too nice to need to be accountable.

This is where your bind hatred gets you into trouble. The truth is the RPPS should have never even been discussed let alone executed. Governments should not get in the way of a free market. She and her government did exactly that. Your mentioning that it was "mishandled" only lends credibility to the RPPS and that you favor such schemes. It should have never even come to be.

The question is where does her guilt lay and will that will she be judged fairly ?

She needs to be held accountable to the failed scheme, but she will be held accountable by a government that is and never will be accountable. That alone casts dubious shadows on her's and others plight at this time.

Your famous tirades against Yingluck will no longer be entertained. You are confused and need a more worthy cause to apply your energies.

Stop attacking the poster to pretend his comments aren't pertinent. Doesn't work and is transparent.

Instead please explain how being the self appointed Chair of the rice scheme, never bothering to attend meetings, ignoring warnings from internal and external sources, glibly pronouncing all was well in the scheme and confirming repeatedly that she was in charge and therefore responsible and accountable can be defended?

That is what she is charged with, being negligent.