Thai Weddings

Inspire

Thai Weddings

Gerry Carter

post-245411-0-76058900-1463238743_thumb.

There are always great stories to tell at any wedding – and Thai weddings with all the usual trappings of tradition and intrigue are fundamentally no different to any nuptials the world over.

But the juxtaposition of the rich and poor, the foreign and local and the official and unofficial ceremonies of the kingdom, not to mention the dowries that are usually paid, make for some interesting stories.

Just this week there was the wedding of a gay English businessman and his Thai male partner in Prajinburi where a 5 million baht dowry was laid out as the happy couple posed in their pink outfits in front of the somewhat confused looking Thai mum and dad.

Then came news of a top celebrity plastic surgeon who got engaged to a lady whose face he had previously worked on at his Bangkok clinic. The dowry this time was a little larger, well over 100 million to be reasonably precise!

Earlier in the year was the “marriage” of two twins barely out of nappies in the far south attended by hundreds of villagers. The reason was to assuage the bad luck and ill health that had been suffered over many years by the parents, whose lives, of course, were then miraculously turned around.

Ahead of the birth of my fourth child I was contemplating this week on the two very different marriages that I have had in Thailand.

I originally married my first wife in 1990. I had diligently prepared all necessary papers and translations ahead of our visit to the registry office in Pahonyothin in northern Bangkok. When myself and my wife to be arrived by motorbike at the office – going in the right hand door that said marriage and not the left hand one that said divorce – we were to be disappointed however. The registrar said they did not marry foreigners and Thais at that office.

What to do I asked and the registrar thought for a moment before whispering, and I translate, “You might try the borough of love!”

He was of course referring to Bang Rak district in central Bangkok which on Valentine’s Day is besieged by couples wanting to tie the knot in a place named after love. As it turned out they were indeed familiar with the paperwork needed for foreigners to marry Thais.

This was just a day in July but off we went on the bike to Bang Rak where we were met with smiles. However, it was already late in the morning and there was a big queue ahead of us and we were advised to go for some lunch first.

After a bowl of noodles we waited and waited in the hot office as the clock slowly ticked towards four pm when a sign announced that time would be up for that day. At four pm we were told that we would have to come back the next day.

As all the other couples left over streamed out I asked if there was some way we could help with the staff’s overtime and for a small helping hand, 500 baht, we were allowed to stay on and be ‘processed’. The normal fee was just 20 baht but even 500 seemed a small price to pay for a lifetime of wedded bliss…..

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/thai-weddings/

inspire-pattaya1.jpg
-- Inspire Pattaya 2016-05-14

Biggest difference I have noticed is that western weddings it is all about the "brides special day". She wants everything perfect for herself.

The Thai weddings I have been to usually have live music with sexy dancing girls and seems to be more about making sure the people in the village and guests have a good time.

I don't think to many western brides would be keen on sexy dancers upstaging them at their weddings.

Thai wedding receptions are more laid back, more social and more fun IMO.

Only downsides to a Thai wedding is that they start to early (the monks part of it) and that my knees don't hold up that well sitting on the floor ( being conscience not to angle my feet in an offensive way).

Fun, easy going people these Thais.

As I would happen we have just returned from a wedding party. Exellent as usual everybody helping everybody else brides mum and dad put on a great feast plenty of beer and soft drinks too.temple first 6am then back for the wedding. Well attended and fun. Diffrence to western weddings your not in your little cliques here all talk to everyone. As for dowry that's been done to death we all have our views on it we all do diffrent things but 5 million and pink suits (oh get you sir)!!!!!

Biggest difference I have noticed is that western weddings it is all about the "brides special day". She wants everything perfect for herself.

The Thai weddings I have been to usually have live music with sexy dancing girls and seems to be more about making sure the people in the village and guests have a good time.

I don't think to many western brides would be keen on sexy dancers upstaging them at their weddings.

Only downsides to a Thai wedding is that they start to early (the monks part of it) and that my knees don't hold up that well sitting on the floor ( being conscience not to angle my feet in an offensive way).

Sexy dancing girls Ahahaha never seen that and didn't have that at my wedding..

Well my wife chose what made her happiest in our wedding exactly same as western female would do.. As for monks and sitting, you could have chosen a chair, I know of one farang who did so !

Great stories? gays being ripped off, babies getting 'married' and the inevitable divorce, more like depressing than great,

Don't forget the family members murdering the husband or hitman being hire or the transfer or land deeds ,,

Ah, Thai weddings. In the 15 years I've been visiting Thailand(5-6 months at a time) ,every wedding, and I've been to a lot of them, have been a very festive affair. The Thai people really know how to have a good time. Plenty of food,drinks,and yes sexy girls singing and dancing.

Ah, Thai weddings. In the 15 years I've been visiting Thailand(5-6 months at a time) ,every wedding, and I've been to a lot of them, have been a very festive affair. The Thai people really know how to have a good time. Plenty of food,drinks,and yes sexy girls singing and dancing.

I have never been to a Thai wedding....but maybe one day.

Meantime I like how the Thais near always include some sexy girls entertainment and dancing in so many of their celebrations and festivities.

And no one ever thinks badly about some sexy young girls entertaining everyone.

Part of the many reasons we all enjoy living here....lol

Cheers

Sexy dancing girls Ahahaha never seen that and didn't have that at my wedding..

Well my wife chose what made her happiest in our wedding exactly same as western female would do.. As for monks and sitting, you could have chosen a chair, I know of one farang who did so !

The sexy dancers are very common at celebrations here in Thailand, I have even seen them for a guy going into the monks. They had the food and dancing girls at the house before making the way to the temple. The dancing girls were in the lead pickup followed by the band but the girls pickup disappeared as we approached the temple.

You are right about the chair, I sat in a chair for the monks service at my wedding and they always get me a chair when we go to the temple. It is quite common to see old Thais doing the same.