Call for British expats to register for ‘Brexit’ EU Referendum

rooster59

Call for British expats to register for ‘Brexit’ EU Referendum

The Phuket News

post-247607-0-43180000-1463265567_thumb.

Britain will hold a referendum on Britain’s four-decade old membership of the Europe Union on June 23, Photo: AFP / Damien Meyer

PHUKET: The UK Electoral Commission is calling on all British expats in Phuket to register in order to make sure their votes count in the upcoming “Brexit” referendum on whether or not the United Kingdom should maintain its membership in the European Union.

The Commission is calling on expats to register to vote by Monday (May 16) if they want to vote by post in the EU Referendum, which will be held on June 23, said a release issued via the British Embassy in Bangkok this week.

The release said:

A survey of UK citizens living overseas carried out by the UK Electoral Commission has found that half of respondents don’t know that they can now register online to vote in the UK

To make sure that British expats are #ReferendumReady, the elections watchdog is reminding them that it’s possible to apply in just a few minutes at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

Before online registration became available in 2014, applicants had to complete a paper application and post it back to their local electoral office. It is now possible to complete an application online in five minutes with just a National Insurance number and passport to hand, which also removes the need for overseas voters to provide an attestation when these details are provided.

To register as an overseas voter, UK residents overseas must have previously been registered in a UK constituency within the last 15 years. Anyone who is unsure if they are registered to vote should contact their last UK local authority to check their status.

To this, the Commission is calling on expats to register to vote by Monday (May 16) if they want to vote by post in the EU Referendum.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/call-for-british-expats-to-register-for-brexit-eu-referendum-57432.php#OAp9j8UwTsq3llU9.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-15

The UK electoral roll is searchable, that might be a problem for some, especially in Thailand.

Why is it all UK expats can vote in this referendum, yet expat Scots were not allowed to vote in the Scotland Independence referendum?

I would have thought the many Brit expats living in Thailand would be voting to stay in the EU, particularly if living here on a GBP income stream, because the GBP would take a big hit if they were to exit.

Also, it's possible, if they exit, the UK could disintegrate, with some countries going to a referendum to leave the UK and remain in the EU.

The EU dictatorship is the biggest threat England has faced since the U-boat packs threatened England's existence.

Vote BREXIT !

And watch your Pound plummet coffee1.gif

It already has thanks to the EU. Thanks to the EU I have lost 25% of my euro savings by exchange to baht.

I would have thought the many Brit expats living in Thailand would be voting to stay in the EU, particularly if living here on a GBP income stream, because the GBP would take a big hit if they were to exit.

Also, it's possible, if they exit, the UK could disintegrate, with some countries going to a referendum to leave the UK and remain in the EU.

It may take a short term hit but that would be all. Don't forget it will have no effect on trading outside the EU. Probably only temporarily with the EU, people still need the goods and services.

In fact the Euro will probably take a larger hit, losing its second biggest economy.

As for the UK could disintegrate, possibly, but that would need further referenda, would take some time.

Would this really benefit the smaller nations in the UK?

Lastly it may have a knock on effect with other countries in the EU, several have mooted that they may take the same route, albeit not yet as policy.

Quite a few northern EU countries might actually be better off out of it.

Gives a feeling of how the colonies went to vote to get free of the British emporium.

Anyhow they will enjoy the long queues at custom and immigration when going to the mainland or to Gibraltar and welcome back home all the UK expats living and working in Europe.

The EU dictatorship is the biggest threat England has faced since the U-boat packs threatened England's existence.

Vote BREXIT !!

I really hope and pray that they vote to get out of the EU, they should never have been allowed to get in.

Also hope that BoJo will build a wall around the island (except Scotland) so that nobody can get out.

They would not likely be permitted to remain in the EU so that misdirection does not apply.

I don't believe British Expats living in Thailand have any specific reason to vote remain unless they envisaged leaving Thailand and relocating in say Southern Europe. The perceived hit on the currency is speculative.... the Euro has hardly been a roaring success story in the past and the UK benefited from having it's own currency and ability to control its economics.

I am in favour of an Brexit, more so now as I am in the UK and see the impact of being in Europe. There is a lot of scaremongering going on from the financial sector, but that is because they like cheap labour!

Independent countries can do well.

Gives a feeling of how the colonies went to vote to get free of the British emporium.

Anyhow they will enjoy the long queues at custom and immigration when going to the mainland or to Gibraltar and welcome back home all the UK expats living and working in Europe.

Emporium? Didn't know the British colonies left Harrods.

Do you really believe that all British expats will be kicked out of Europe and vice versa European expats from the UK?

I sincerely doubt that, could be disastrous for companies on both sides.

Also people were working in other countries before the EU free movement came in, why not now?

Probably just stricter rules.

Vote BREXIT !!

The EU dictatorship doesn't affect Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland then ?

It shouldn't be called BREXIT but ENGXIT if it only involves England.

The UK electoral roll is searchable, that might be a problem for some, especially in Thailand.

When you register there is a specific question asking if you wish your name to appear in the electoral roll or not.

I ticked no and only time will tell if the bureaucracy can be trusted.

They would not likely be permitted to remain in the EU so that misdirection does not apply.

I don't believe British Expats living in Thailand have any specific reason to vote remain unless they envisaged leaving Thailand and relocating in say Southern Europe. The perceived hit on the currency is speculative.... the Euro has hardly been a roaring success story in the past and the UK benefited from having it's own currency and ability to control its economics.

I am in favour of an Brexit, more so now as I am in the UK and see the impact of being in Europe. There is a lot of scaremongering going on from the financial sector, but that is because they like cheap labour!

"They would not likely be permitted to remain" - sure, but they could vote for independence and then apply.

"that is because they like cheap labour!" - and what happens to the price of EVERYTHING when labor is not "cheap?"

Edited by NamKangMan

If you lived in Thailand you might see some reason.

I can give you one very good reason, for the last 3 years I have traveled with my wife to the UK and Europe. As the spouse of an EU citizen she inherits the right of free movement, but of course you are quite happy to take that away.

We are all aware that the Brexit campaign see collateral damage quite acceptable as a means to an end.

More than a possibility. Scotland may well call for another referendum and if it went in favour they would then apply to become a member of the EU.

Gerry Adams was on TV a few days ago calling for the reunification of Ireland. Now I wonder which way that would go, the Republic into the UK or NI into the Republic and the EU?

It is depressing to hear repeated Murdoch sponsored drivel from 'Brexiters' not only here but in the pubs too. I had a pal's uncle whom I respect greatly prattle off some of the most unsubstantiated anti-EU drivel backing up his arguments that he'd 'read it in the Sun'....

It was the same when Murdoch gerrymandered Major into power by printing all manner of lies in his 'papers'.

The intelligence of the average Brit is worry when confronted by such nonsense in the press.

Thankfully I've just signed up for another 10 year 'stretch' in Thailand which (if I am lucky enough to extend again) should see me through to retirement (God willing), so will be a long way from the fall out.....

Gerry Adams was on TV a few days ago calling for the reunification of Ireland. Now I wonder which way that would go, the Republic into the UK or NI into the Republic and the EU?

He's been calling for it for a while now.....won't happen for another few generations yet. Too many wounds in recent memory which look like they're still being opened.....

Vote BREXIT !!

The EU dictatorship doesn't affect Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland then ?

It shouldn't be called BREXIT but ENGXIT if it only involves England.

All of the above kid. Should have said Great Britain. We foreigners always talk about England.

It is depressing to hear repeated Murdoch sponsored drivel from 'Brexiters' not only here but in the pubs too. I had a pal's uncle whom I respect greatly prattle off some of the most unsubstantiated anti-EU drivel backing up his arguments that he'd 'read it in the Sun'....

It was the same when Murdoch gerrymandered Major into power by printing all manner of lies in his 'papers'.

The intelligence of the average Brit is worry when confronted by such nonsense in the press.

Thankfully I've just signed up for another 10 year 'stretch' in Thailand which (if I am lucky enough to extend again) should see me through to retirement (God willing), so will be a long way from the fall out.....

He's been calling for it for a while now.....won't happen for another few generations yet. Too many wounds in recent memory which look like they're still being opened.....

Agree Murdoch sponsored drivel it is.

However doest say much for your Brexit mates if all they read is the Sun etc.

I have a lot of intelligent British friends who have looked at all sides of the argument, not one of them wants to stay in. Neither do I.

Also agree with the statement on Ireland, won't happen for a long time.

I can give you one very good reason, for the last 3 years I have traveled with my wife to the UK and Europe. As the spouse of an EU citizen she inherits the right of free movement, but of course you are quite happy to take that away.

We are all aware that the Brexit campaign see collateral damage quite acceptable as a means to an end.

Haha, Mr Know-all, I have lived in Thailand for 11 years.

If your wife has a UK passport she has the right to travel pretty much anywhere in the world irrespective of EU membership, that would not change, If she does not, she needs to apply for a UK visa and perhaps one of these Shengen visas, the latter one and the open borders policy being the reason Europe is in a mess, now undergoing a near invasion from the Middle East and Africa. Why would Brexit affect your wife's ability to apply for say a French Visa??

What collateral damage, simple scare-mongering, similar to business people with vested interest. There are more obvious and personal reasons, eg access to say French and Spanish health care for retired UK citizens. Although you should visit a UK hospital or school and see real collateral damage of mass immigration, as I have done recently. It is not all about you or Expats in Thailand! Far more.

Edited by jacko45k

"They would not likely be permitted to remain" - sure, but they could vote for independence and then apply.

"that is because they like cheap labour!" - and what happens to the price of EVERYTHING when labor is not "cheap?"

Perhaps a few of those on benefits could take up jobs and save the country money?

I am visiting the UK now, all my mothers carers bar only a few are non-UK and are here working purely because they are EU citizens. The few have the benefit of their salaries being kept low. Non membership of the EU would not prevent this, simply enable control of it. As of now, there is zero restriction. In this respect, Thailand cares for its own much better.

No they can't - that's what Sturgeon and Salmond before her spin. Only the UK PM and government can sanction a referendum. It's not legal for any group to claim UDI!

Even then, the referendum would not be binding on any government. It would have to go through parliamentary process.

I get sick and tired of the liar Sturgeon claiming and demanding this that and the other to gullible people who believe an un-deliverable dream the SNP can never deliver.

Any break up of the UK should be voted on by the whole UK population - not a tiny fraction in Scotland dictating what happens to the rest. And even if they did become independent Scotland would have to apply to the EU. Some members have already said they would oppose that. If that obstacle was overcome then Scotland would have to meet the strict criteria. Without it's own currency, central bank what they gonna do? Adopt the Euro?

The days when small countries could fiddle their finances to meet criteria are gone, Greece, and those others that have done that are being found out. Germany, who will control EU even more if Britain leaves, and will control the EU and European Central bank won't allow it anymore.

Britain and the EU need reforming. No reason they both can't be.

No they can't - that's what Sturgeon and Salmond before her spin. Only the UK PM and government can sanction a referendum. It's not legal for any group to claim UDI!

Even then, the referendum would not be binding on any government. It would have to go through parliamentary process.

I get sick and tired of the liar Sturgeon claiming and demanding this that and the other to gullible people who believe an un-deliverable dream the SNP can never deliver.

Any break up of the UK should be voted on by the whole UK population - not a tiny fraction in Scotland dictating what happens to the rest. And even if they did become independent Scotland would have to apply to the EU. Some members have already said they would oppose that. If that obstacle was overcome then Scotland would have to meet the strict criteria. Without it's own currency, central bank what they gonna do? Adopt the Euro?

The days when small countries could fiddle their finances to meet criteria are gone, Greece, and those others that have done that are being found out. Germany, who will control EU even more if Britain leaves, and will control the EU and European Central bank won't allow it anymore.

Britain and the EU need reforming. No reason they both can't be.

How are you going to reform a dictatorship?

Haha, Mr Know-all, I have lived in Thailand for 11 years.

If your wife has a UK passport she has the right to travel pretty much anywhere in the world irrespective of EU membership, that would not change, If she does not, she needs to apply for a UK visa and perhaps one of these Shengen visas, the latter one and the open borders policy being the reason Europe is in a mess, now undergoing a near invasion from the Middle East and Africa. Why would Brexit affect your wife's ability to apply for say a French Visa??

What collateral damage, simple scare-mongering, similar to business people with vested interest. There are more obvious and personal reasons, eg access to say French and Spanish health care for retired UK citizens. Although you should visit a UK hospital or school and see real collateral damage of mass immigration, as I have done recently. It is not all about you or Expats in Thailand! Far more.

You really need to do some homework.

Perhaps a few of those on benefits could take up jobs and save the country money?

I am visiting the UK now, all my mothers carers bar only a few are non-UK and are here working purely because they are EU citizens. The few have the benefit of their salaries being kept low. Non membership of the EU would not prevent this, simply enable control of it. As of now, there is zero restriction. In this respect, Thailand cares for its own much better.

"In this respect, Thailand cares for its own much better." - really? Perhaps you have failed to notice the hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of women working in the sex trade here.

I think you are confusing "migration" with "economics."