Anyone in Pattaya play European board games or Warhammer Fantasy / KoW

adinobro

Hi,

I'm moving to Pattaya in August and want to know if anyone else on this forum is interested in catching up for some Dominion, Settles of Catan or other European board game. I also play Warhammer & King of War but I expect it will be harder to find a local group that plays either of these games.

I guess we just have a different definition of growing up.

European board games are not chance games like Monopoly that you probably grew up with. Most of them come from Germany, are really well designed and require a lot of thinking. More like Cheese than anything else I can think of right now.

That being said if this kind of post is not welcome tell me and I'll delete the post and leave. I figured I should ask here because there was a similar post back in 2013.

All bar girls play a game where only people with a very high IQ can follow. Five in a row.

Would you've looked for a chess partner, it would be a completely different ballgame.

But to find people in Pattaya who play Monopoly with you and lose Naklua road and their Condos is almost impossible.

Was cheese invented by Germany, too?

best of luck !! wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

There used to be a few old timers play backgammon, Scrabble, Chess/Cheese etc outside one of the mini marts up on Nern Plab Wan.

As far as I can guess they'd still be there as it looked like none of them had moved in years last time I saw them.....

Good luck. I'd say your best chance may be some younger Russian 'expat' kids as I'd say Pattaya is very much the wrong demographic for such things......

Who knows maybe you could teach some of the old timers some new games!

Edited by Merylhighground

Thanks for the information Merylhighground & stoneyboy.

Just in case anyone else finds this post via a search engine there is a Facebook group called "Pattaya Gamers". Roughly 20 members. As of 2016 a number of them have moved to Bangkok or left Thailand but there is still a small group that meet.

For those of you that think this is the wrong sort of town ... gamers are everywhere biggrin.png

Feel free to PM me if you are interested in playing a game. This was obviously the wrong forum to ask this question whistling.gif

Anyway my parents live in Pattaya 5 years ago and I've been here a number of times. I'm coming here with my family and I am aware of what I am getting myself into. Like any town there is more than just one aspect to it.

What I am actually looking forward to the most is normal internet. I have lived in China for 7 years so I'm looking forward to not using a VPN to check email or search the internet. It's the little things in life that make life easier.