Sex tourism: Thai trade boosted by 'repressed' tourists in Pattaya

webfact

Sex tourism: Thai trade boosted by 'repressed' tourists in Pattaya
By freelance correspondent Matthew Clayfield in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- In Pattaya's Arab quarter, off the Thai sex capital's famous Walking Street, a Kuwaiti man climbed down from the bar where he had been dancing for 10 minutes and rejoined his friends at their table.

They were drinking Chivas Regal by the bottle and each was accompanied by a Thai "date". He immediately pulled his companion onto his lap.

When asked why so many young Middle Eastern men chose Pattaya for their overseas vacations, Fahad, 29, grabbed his crotch with both hands, shook vigorously, and laughed.

"Thailand is very different to Kuwait," he said.

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-15/thai-sex-trade-propped-up-by-sexually-repressed-tourists/7413762

-- ABC News 2016-05-16

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When asked why so many young Middle Eastern men chose Pattaya for their overseas vacations, Fahad, 29, grabbed his crotch with both hands, shook vigorously, and laughed.

And the more experienced older foreigners can marry them, he said.

The article seems primarily to be aimed at creating an image of the Arabs in Thailand - although it does give a nod to other aspects of prostitution , just to cover arse...as t were.

Truth remains that Thailand is a county that relies on prostitution for a substantial part of it's economy, both as a part of the tourist trade and as a larger part catering to the home market.

It seems that a country that sees of the exploitation of women as an integral part of its economy will continue to do so so long as those in power refuse to accept that their own use of women in this way is unacceptable. so long as leaders view women as "wrapped candy" I can't see a fundamental change happening soon

Edited by cumgranosalum

When I read stories like these, I am saddened by how I spend my time.

The topic is uncalled for if thai visa wants to be a leading neutral news agency. This is something that some drunks would describe in a pub or a closed group of similar interests at home....I hope the editorship maintains a high standard in content, privacy and journalistic ethics. Why highlight a Kuwaiti....even if it be true. What is the purpose to scorn ..... I am trying to understand the angle. I do in most of my posts try to hit home the need to educate locals and to bring them to being responsible. Thai visa should be a beacon light with the privilages of the platform it has in the eyes of locals and foreigners. I agree with Puukao... We the expat community is looking for authentic content where we can interact with one another to the betterment of our envioroment and society. Not the gossip column for those negatively inclined to get over a chip that they have on their shoulder.

Arab men have been coming to Pattaya and other areas in Thailand for decades now,

with the free flowing of sex, both male and female and the tranny they love so much,

the booze, the drug, the cheap costs, and most important, away from all those fierce

looking moral police, that if caught in their countries, they will be flogged, shamed and

jail for many years....

cumgranosalum, on 16 May 2016 - 07:29, said:

so this is going to turn into a Muslim-bashing thread?

e.g. "When I use a prostitute it's OK, but when a "Arab" guy does it's not"?

No, this is not going to turn into a Muslim bashing thread. And those that do, and post off topic comments, will be put on posting holidays. Please abide by forum rules:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

When I read stories like this I am saddened by how so-called journalists spend their time.

As well as how the usual crowd of supposedly morally superior posters spend their time drooling over the chance to bash mindlessly away .

Edited by Suradit69

The topic is uncalled for if thai visa wants to be a leading neutral news agency. This is something that some drunks would describe in a pub or a closed group of similar interests at home....I hope the editorship maintains a high standard in content, privacy and journalistic ethics. Why highlight a Kuwaiti....even if it be true. What is the purpose to scorn ..... I am trying to understand the angle. I do in most of my posts try to hit home the need to educate locals and to bring them to being responsible. Thai visa should be a beacon light with the privilages of the platform it has in the eyes of locals and foreigners. I agree with Puukao... We the expat community is looking for authentic content where we can interact with one another to the betterment of our envioroment and society. Not the gossip column for those negatively inclined to get over a chip that they have on their shoulder.

Glad to see there is a (small) movement that questions the ethics of the "news" on here.

However criticism is not accepted on here, and, as usual these post will be labelled "troll" and disappear like a Pinochet dissident.

Care to point me to a couple of nice girlie bars in Yemen where I can enjoy an ice cold Heineken and the pleasures of a nubile wench.

that's obviously a rhetoric question because you would never think of enjoying the pleasures of a nubile wench.

The article seems primarily to be aimed at creating an image of the Arabs in Thailand - although it does give a nod to other aspects of prostitution , just to cover arse...as t were.

Truth remains that Thailand is a county that relies on prostitution for a substantial part of it's economy, both as a part of the tourist trade and as a larger part catering to the home market.

It seems that a country that sees of the exploitation of women as an integral part of its economy will continue to do so so long as those in power refuse to accept that their own use of women in this way is unacceptable. so long as leaders view women as "wrapped candy" I can't see a fundamental change happening soon

"It seems that a country that sees of the exploitation of women as an integral part of its economy will continue to do so so long as those in power refuse to accept that their own use of women in this way is unacceptable. so long as leaders view women as "wrapped candy" I can't see a fundamental change happening soon"

Seems like a little middle class moralising going on here (sex can't be recreational, sex can't be part of a business transaction, etc.). What leads you assume that a sex industry is synonymous with the exploitation of women? Certainly, there are women in the industry who are exploited and abused, and everything possible must be done to combat this. But some women have no qualms about 'selling sex' and some men have no qualms about purchasing it, and where such consent exists, we shouldn't patronisingly suggest that the activity is exploitative. A woman using her body to make money is nor more exploitative than an athlete, male model, or coal miner using his. People like yourself believe that you'd be doing women a favour by shutting down the sex industry (does sound patronising, right?), but I don't think you'd find much support among the women themselves ... and I doubt that many would consider themselves 'exploited'. [Of course, the retort would be that they need to be 'educated' or have their 'consciousness raised' .... more than a little insulting].

The title said repressed tourists,I started to read thinking ir was about Canadian and US men coming here. The way feminist nazi's step all over the men in Canada and the us,you could probably rewrite this article and make it about the Us and Canada men who come here.

An interesting and insightful post, perhaps the editorial policies are catering for the more salacious attitudes of the viewers/members? My observations are that this type of content appears to gather most interest and comment so I must consider myself partly responsible for this?

Arab men have been coming to Pattaya and other areas in Thailand for decades now,

with the free flowing of sex, both male and female and the tranny they love so much,

the booze, the drug, the cheap costs, and most important, away from all those fierce

looking moral police, that if caught in their countries, they will be flogged, shamed and

jail for many years....

"Arab men have been coming to Pattaya and other areas in Thailand for decades now ..."

Keep in mind that the Disneyland of booze and sex got its biggest kick-start from western troops exhausted from laying waste to Vietnam.

And when I was working in the Middle East, the vast majority of people on board each flight I took to Bangkok were westerners (apparently) on holiday from their (presumably well-paid) employment in those same countries so many posters in this thread are eager to put down. Presumably some of the bashing here is coming from those westerners who accept minimum-wage jobs in Thailand (unqualified for better employment elsewhere) in order to experience the same sort of thing they could never afford otherwise. Envy and jealousy make some people quite nasty.

The Russian women said; her employees were not sex workers and were prohibited from going home with customers, but admitted they were free to do what they liked outside of working hours. Classic, this is one way to get around the law by not admitting you`re running a brothel.

Here we go..Muslims and Arab bashing by some ignorant racist plonkers.The article seems to advertise Thailand to middle eastern youngsters as if they don't know it.Sad to publish Thailand in that sense Prostitution and more...very unhealthy

You try having a drink in Kuwait and see what happens. They should be banned from the country in an effort to help them be good Muslims

Not sure about Kuwait, but I lived in the UAE for 10 years and alcohol was available from state-owned shops and in hotels. Technically is was not to be consumed by Muslims, but that was never an insurmountable hurdle.

Here we go..Muslims and Arab bashing by some ignorant racist plonkers.The article seems to advertise Thailand to middle eastern youngsters as if they don't know it.Sad to publish Thailand in that sense Prostitution and more...very unhealthy

Because they purport to hate Western values and culture, and yet take to it like ducks to water when given the chance. I would suggest offering free holidays to Pattaya for the Isis crowd, might get them to lighten up a bit.

Perhaps the topic title should have referred to 'oppressed' rather than 'repressed' tourists. smile.png Many readers will interpret 'repressed' in its psychological sense. This is the idea that the problem lies in the individual in that he feels guilt and discomfort about his sexual urges: he is sexually repressed. 'Oppressed' more clearly means that some outside force/authority is preventing you from living your life as you wish. This is probably the more accurate term for these Middle Eastern men .... many of them will be little different from their western cousins in terms of their urges and interests, but they live in societies where they are prevented from acting them. One could argue that this is a form of oppression, or at least that there are oppressive elements in these societies. I'm not so sure they should be called 'repressed'...

From the original article:

"

A stroll up Walking Street, or the equally famous Soi 6, gives one the impression that those areas exist almost exclusively to cater for foreign demand.

In Lawrence Osborne's Bangkok Days, the British author's 2009 memoir about living in Thailand, this impression is addressed head-on.

"If I have to listen to one more NGO type droning on about fat, white, middle-aged perverts I think it will have to be violence," one of the author's drinking companions said at one point.

"I always point out that farangs [foreigners] are less than 5 per cent of the customers in Bangkok."

According to a Thai survey of sexual behaviour, at least 450,000 Thai men visited sex workers every day.

The same survey said 97 per cent of military conscripts undertaking their two years of compulsory service regularly visited sex workers and that 73 per cent of those men lost their virginity to one.

"Get furious about that 5 per cent if you want," the memoir said.

"It says more about you than them."

The report sounds pretty close to the truth of what Pattaya is about. But if it makes you feel better just close your eyes then and keep telling everyone that you're in Thailand for culture Edited by Time Traveller