Sex tourism: Thai trade boosted by 'repressed' tourists in Pattaya

webfact

The article seems primarily to be aimed at creating an image of the Arabs in Thailand - although it does give a nod to other aspects of prostitution , just to cover arse...as t were.

Truth remains that Thailand is a county that relies on prostitution for a substantial part of it's economy, both as a part of the tourist trade and as a larger part catering to the home market.

It seems that a country that sees of the exploitation of women as an integral part of its economy will continue to do so so long as those in power refuse to accept that their own use of women in this way is unacceptable. so long as leaders view women as "wrapped candy" I can't see a fundamental change happening soon

I note that you just talk about "prostitution" and don't differentiate between the farang and the Thai scenes, but given that this thread is about Arabs in Pattaya any discussion should be about the farang scene.

Anyone that claims the women that work in the farang scene are "exploited" clearly does not know much about that scene at all.

NB. Any female working the farang scene is free to quit anytime and go to work in a sweat shop or the rice fields for 300

baht a day. Not surprisingly, few do so.

IMO there is little point saying that the prostitution scene is bad and they should end it without suggesting what would replace it as employment. It's not as though there is a shortage of hairdressers.

I will stop there as I think more specific discussion would be against forum rules.

You say only a few are willing to forgo the stigma of being a prostitute by working in a sweat shop or in the rice rice fields. Would you not call that a bit of an exaggeration?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The article seems primarily to be aimed at creating an image of the Arabs in Thailand - although it does give a nod to other aspects of prostitution , just to cover arse...as t were.

Truth remains that Thailand is a county that relies on prostitution for a substantial part of it's economy, both as a part of the tourist trade and as a larger part catering to the home market.

It seems that a country that sees of the exploitation of women as an integral part of its economy will continue to do so so long as those in power refuse to accept that their own use of women in this way is unacceptable. so long as leaders view women as "wrapped candy" I can't see a fundamental change happening soon

I note that you just talk about "prostitution" and don't differentiate between the farang and the Thai scenes, but given that this thread is about Arabs in Pattaya any discussion should be about the farang scene.

Anyone that claims the women that work in the farang scene are "exploited" clearly does not know much about that scene at all.

NB. Any female working the farang scene is free to quit anytime and go to work in a sweat shop or the rice fields for 300

baht a day. Not surprisingly, few do so.

IMO there is little point saying that the prostitution scene is bad and they should end it without suggesting what would replace it as employment. It's not as though there is a shortage of hairdressers.

I will stop there as I think more specific discussion would be against forum rules.

You say only a few are willing to forgo the stigma of being a prostitute by working in a sweat shop or in the rice rice fields. Would you not call that a bit of an exaggeration?

No. I have known some that opted out of the scene to go work as a maid or on a building site, but they soon came back to the easier life.

I don't know many that consider being a bargirl the same as being a prostitute ( hence no stigma ). To them, that is being chained to a bed in a brothel. They consider themselves more as service girls that "go out" with men, and the sex is incidental ( regardless of what the men may think ).

However, I always wonder where those that quit the scene once they get too old and unattractive do go. I suppose they find someone to marry them, which is to my mind merely prostitution with a piece of paper, given that marriage seems to be mainly about money, and not much love, in my experience. But, that is a discussion for a different forum.

@Thaibeachlover

"While I appreciate your point of view, I disagree that any of them "had" to be bargirls. Easily proven by the fact that there are MILLIONS of women in Thailand, many of whom are in the same "poverty", but choose NOT to become bar girls. Bar girls are a small minority of poor women in Thailand. They do it because it's easy money, and a party lifestyle. Most work at menial jobs, for little money.

I have known hundreds ( not in a relationship, but in the bars at which I was a regular ) that were DDG and could easily have found themselves a sugar daddy or a farang "boyfriend" and left the scene, but chose to stay and mint it while they were good looking enough. Few would be expecting to do it for more than a few years".

If you look again you will see that I already put had in quotation marks. Of course nobody needs to take up that profession but many are forced into it. Just like the girl that I was with for a few months. Her gambling and drinking mother and useless boyfriend forced her and her sister into it because they had made 100's of k's of debt. A job at 7/11 would never cover that kind of debt. This is a very common case in Isaan. Some even give their daughters as a deposit to moneylenders. These girls are so loyal to their scamming and loveless family members that they would indeed do anything to take care of them. I know it sounds mad but don't forget that TiT.
I also mentioned the girls who like doing it because it's easy money. There are rotten apples everywhere

Quality tourists from Kuwait. TAT must love them. Thailand is and remains the biggest brothel of the world. All other from TAT is a big lie.

i have a question and i dont attend talking about prostitution, price or location.

My question is, do you feel there is less or more prositutes in pattaya in these recent years?

Without trawling through hundreds of bars from Naklua to Bali Hi that is impossible to answer. I doubt anyone knows, or has ever known how many there are.

An easier question would be as to whether there are more or less bars now, and I would say less, as the Beach Rd ones are pushed out to Buakhao.

thanks for your answer but i am sure the pattaya resident know the answer.

They can tell us, if you compare to 10 years ago, if there is more bar girl, or only half.

When asked why so many young Middle Eastern men chose Pattaya for their overseas vacations, Fahad, 29, grabbed his crotch with both hands, shook vigorously, and laughed.

And the more experienced older foreigners can marry them, he said.

wow , i was that older fat farang , she married , wivey spoke perfaect Arabic , keebabs delicous , thx

Edited by elliss

When asked why so many young Middle Eastern men chose Pattaya for their overseas vacations, Fahad, 29, grabbed his crotch with both hands, shook vigorously, and laughed.

And the more experienced older foreigners can marry them, he said.

Well said Fahad , crotch on both hands ,, those were the days , my friend ,555

, I had a crotch till i reached 50 . then things started to dissapear , now i have a crutch @65 ...and my Ford angla clutch is fkd .

If i was in the nicks of young / middle aged thai lady, i would far prefer to have a young virile , handsome tanned sex partner ,

. as opposed to the senile fat old fart farang , white hunter , ex civil service ,dry riser , we still have in the untamed Issan regions .coffee1.gif

Pattaya , is a melting pot , males and females of all religion ,many castes , can enjoy what comes naturally to them ,

without the fear of fanatical religous police, which they have been brought up under fear off.

I think this integration of multi cultural sex tourists , will ,, make the World a better and safer place.

Thank you Thailand , for your understanding of, the failings of the so called ,,,civilised World

Edited by elliss

You try having a drink in Kuwait and see what happens. They should be banned from the country in an effort to help them be good Muslims

Not sure about Kuwait, but I lived in the UAE for 10 years and alcohol was available from state-owned shops and in hotels. Technically is was not to be consumed by Muslims, but that was never an insurmountable hurdle.

No alcohol is totally banned in Kuwait. It is not the same as Qatar and UAE .

As a note Kuwait Airways is a dry airline also

exploitation is the art of making people WILLING to do things they ordinarily wouldn't do.

Quite right , i would not normally have sex with a female , half my age ,

however when in thailand , do as the Thais do, enjoy.

Being judgemental is a freedom of opinion ?, or maybe a burden of conscience of the so called, civilised World .

IMHO , live and let live .coffee1.gif

@Thaibeachlover

"While I appreciate your point of view, I disagree that any of them "had" to be bargirls. Easily proven by the fact that there are MILLIONS of women in Thailand, many of whom are in the same "poverty", but choose NOT to become bar girls. Bar girls are a small minority of poor women in Thailand. They do it because it's easy money, and a party lifestyle. Most work at menial jobs, for little money.

I have known hundreds ( not in a relationship, but in the bars at which I was a regular ) that were DDG and could easily have found themselves a sugar daddy or a farang "boyfriend" and left the scene, but chose to stay and mint it while they were good looking enough. Few would be expecting to do it for more than a few years".

If you look again you will see that I already put had in quotation marks. Of course nobody needs to take up that profession but many are forced into it. Just like the girl that I was with for a few months. Her gambling and drinking mother and useless boyfriend forced her and her sister into it because they had made 100's of k's of debt. A job at 7/11 would never cover that kind of debt. This is a very common case in Isaan. Some even give their daughters as a deposit to moneylenders. These girls are so loyal to their scamming and loveless family members that they would indeed do anything to take care of them. I know it sounds mad but don't forget that TiT.

I also mentioned the girls who like doing it because it's easy money. There are rotten apples everywhere

There are rotten apples everywhere

Why so negative? Even prostitutes are people. Some of the nicest women I have ever met have been prostitutes. Some of the worst women I ever met would probably never have sex if their lives depended on it.

Yes, you touch on Thai women's sense of responsibility to their parents, which sadly is so often exploited.

BTW, I doubt any women in the farang scene are forced into it as money lender collateral.

exploitation is the art of making people WILLING to do things they ordinarily wouldn't do.

Quite right , i would not normally have sex with a female , half my age ,

however when in thailand , do as the Thais do, enjoy.

Being judgemental is a freedom of opinion ?, or maybe a burden of conscience of the so called, civilised World .

IMHO , live and let live .coffee1.gif

Had I never found Thailand I would never have married a woman many years younger than myself. Either I would never have married ( more likely ) or married someone that looked like a granny ( because she would be ). Neither option would be very great.

What you and a lot of other people don't seem to realize is that the foreigner oriented prosititution scene is dwarfed by the amount of prostitution that caters to the locals. Everyone (including some Thais) like to point at the bad foreigners as being to blame for all the prostitution. The truth is that it's only a small part of all the prostitution that goes on in the country.

Edited by lapd

I watched a documentary recently on IPlayer. Think it was called sex in strange places with that Stacey Dooley. Long story short it was about the sex trade in Turkey and I was shocked to see how many guys, young guys at that were up for getting down with a tranny.

I think there is an element of guys coming to Thailand to live out their fantasies as they cannot do this back home. As long as they are respectful of the customs and locals then I don't see any issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You try having a drink in Kuwait and see what happens. They should be banned from the country in an effort to help them be good Muslims

Not sure about Kuwait, but I lived in the UAE for 10 years and alcohol was available from state-owned shops and in hotels. Technically is was not to be consumed by Muslims, but that was never an insurmountable hurdle.

Kuwait is dry but some of the Emirates and Bahrain have booze and birds. Hookers of the world are in Dubai but mainly Chinese, Thai and Ethiopian in Bahrain. Edited by alofthailand

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The report sounds pretty close to the truth of what Pattaya is about. But if it makes you feel better just close your eyes then and keep telling everyone that you're in Thailand for culture

I go for the food & beer.

The next thing I know I'm drunk back in my room with several women, so it must be a little culture !

@Thaibeachlover

exploiting loyalty is not the same as "forcing" anyone.

but in the end the discussion is pointless, because some people will always deny others the right to decide for themselves when they feel the choice has been manipulated or doesn't make sense from their point of view.

This is a very arrogant attitude and leads to disrespecting results of referendums and advocating homosexuals be "cured".

They were drinking Chivas Regal by the bottle and each was accompanied by a Thai "date". He immediately pulled his companion onto his lap and said:

" These girls are way different to our donkeys at home." Can't wait to be back and meet them all......he added and rushed to the airport.facepalm.gif

• 3 weeks later...

What you and a lot of other people don't seem to realize is that the foreigner oriented prosititution scene is dwarfed by the amount of prostitution that caters to the locals. Everyone (including some Thais) like to point at the bad foreigners as being to blame for all the prostitution. The truth is that it's only a small part of all the prostitution that goes on in the country.

Did you actually read the post you are quoting?

This is an indication of the double standard of Muslims . The numbers in Pattaya increase during the fasting and religious season of Ramadan.

Funny, I run into a lot of Christians there too.

Edited by pegman

• 3 weeks later...