Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Top of the league and home to stay! :)

Chelsea 3 - 0 Birmingham

Chelsea stormed back to the top of the Premier League with another superb home performance as they ended Birmingham's 15-match unbeaten run in fine style.

Florent Malouda got the ball rolling with the simplest of headers after some good work down the right by Joe Cole.

And Frank Lampard grabbed the second with a typically pin-point 20-yarder.

Birmingham had only two shots on goal, Petr Cech saving the best from Keith Fahey, and Lampard slammed in a third late on to wrap up a comprehensive win.

The results means the Londoners, thanks in part to rivals Arsenal's failure to beat Aston Villa at Villa Park, return to the top of the table after falling off the number one spot last

weekend for the first time in three months.

And with key striker Didier Drogba due to return to the squad this weekend following the Ivory Coast's exit from the Africa Cup of Nations, the Blues' title rivals could not possibly underestimate the challenge Chelsea pose in such apparently irrepressible form.

Not that Chelsea have missed the frontman's presence, as they have scored 17 goals in the four matches they have played without him.

This, too, was a performance full of intent from the hosts, and against one of the most in-form sides in the Premier League.

Had they held out against Carlo Ancelotti's side, Birmingham would have equalled Nottingham Forest's record of of 13 matches unbeaten for a newly-promoted side in the top flight - set in 1994-95 season.

But resisting a Chelsea outfit that has won 31 out of 33 points available at Stamford Bridge this season, including a 7-2 rout of Sunderland last time out, was always going to be a difficult proposition.

The visitors simply had no answer to Chelsea's passing and movement. With Deco the fulcrum, Lampard typically effervescent, and Joe Cole always inventive, Birmingham were given barely a glimpse of the football all night.

Joe Cole, in arguably his best performance since his return from a knee injury, created it, beating Lee Bowyer for pace down the right and then crossing to present Malouda with the easiest task of heading home unmarked from six yards out.

Cameron Jerome saw his shot deflected narrowly over the Chelsea crossbar off his strike partner Chucho Benitez at the other end, but the hosts' dominance was otherwise complete.

Joe Cole twice went close with long range efforts, Ballack stung the palms of keeper Joe Hart, and Ricardo Carvalho slammed a header against the post from a Malouda corner as the Londoners toyed with Birmingham at times.

So it was no surprise when Chelsea doubled their lead, Lampard finding plenty of room on the edge of the box, taking a touch, and then slamming precisely into the far corner.

It prompted a slight relaxation in the hosts' approach, allowing Birmingham a rare spell in possession, but Ancelotti's men were back on their mettle at the start of the second half and Ballack, twice, threatened a third.

First he brought a smart stop from Hart with a neat header from Ashley Cole's cross and then his clever flick from Malouda's corner drifted narrowly over.

Birmingham, though, have been nothing if not resolute this season, and twice in a couple of minutes they forged chances out of nothing with the minutes ticking down.

James McFadden should have done better when he dragged wide of Cech's goal from inside the box, before substitute Fahey brought a flying save from the Czech keeper moments later when his toe-poke looked to be heading into the top corner.

It was an admirable, albeit brief, rally from the visitors but it served only in focusing the Chelsea players as they entered the closing stages.

And few could argue that Chelsea did not deserve the third when it came, Lampard striding on to Malouda's pass and firing low past Hart with barely a minute left on the clock.

It means Birmingham stay eighth in the table, though they need feel no shame in succumbing to a superb Chelsea performance.

As for the hosts, an 11th clean sheet of the season only added to a fine night at Stamford Bridge as they march forward in their attempts to win the league title for the first time since 2006

Ooooooh John what have you been upto!! :)

Judge Lifts Gag Order On Terry Affair Claims

A judge has lifted a gagging order which stopped allegations about John Terry and a former team-mate's girlfriend being published.

The England and Chelsea captain had sought a "super-injunction" preventing details of an alleged affair with Wayne Bridge's girlfriend appearing in a newspaper.

But his identity was revealed after Mr Justice Tugendhat ordered that the order, originally granted at a private hearing on January 22, should be lifted.

The News of the World had wanted to publish a story last Sunday about Terry and French model Vanessa Perroncel, who is believed to have separated from Bridge last year.

Perroncel's website shows a sequence of her modelling shots, including one straddling Ali G's neck in a men's magazine photo-shoot.

On court papers Terry was identified simply as "LNS" but the judgment made clear that the allegations were already known to a number of people.

The judge said: "I accept that the information sought to be protected is not in the public domain in the sense that there is nothing left to be protected.

"But the evidence is that there has been wide circulation amongst those involved in the sport in question, including agents and others, and not just amongst those directly engaged in the sport."

Because the allegations had become widely available to so many people, it meant that an injunction was less necessary or proportionate than would otherwise be the case.

The News of the World welcomed the decision as "a long overdue breath of fresh air and common sense".

"Hopefully today's victory by the News of the World will lead to a fundamental reassessment of our draconian privacy laws," the paper's legal manager Tom Crone said.

"The British public's right to know has been the victim of this legal process. Hopefully that will now change."

The judge added it was likely that the core complaint was the protection of his business reputation, and not of Terry's private life, as in the evidence there was no mention of any personal distress.

"Further, if - as I think likely - the real concern of the applicant in this case is the effect of publication upon the sponsorship business, then damages would be an adequate remedy if LNS succeeds at trial."

"It does not seem likely to me that the concern expressed on LNS's behalf for the private lives of the other person and the interested persons is altruistic," the judge said.

"This claim is essentially a business matter for LNS."

Terry was ordered to pay £20,000 towards legal costs for the publishers of the News of the World - and the paper has promised to reveal more allegations this weekend.

Both Terry and Bridge are expected to play in the World Cup finals this summer, amid claims of a rift in the team because of the allegations.

Terry, who is married to childhood sweetheart Toni Poole, the mother of his twins, was named Dad of the Year last year in a Daddies Sauce survey.

The judge also said newspapers must behave responsibly but added they have a right to report news, even if it is considered critical.

"Freedom to live as one chooses is one of the most valuable freedoms," he said.

"But so is the freedom to criticise - within the limits of the law - the conduct of other members of society as being socially harmful, or wrong."

Carlo hails captain Terry

Carlo Ancelotti insisted the Chelsea captaincy was not an issue following the 2-1 victory over Burnley.

Newspaper allegations about John Terry'sprivate life meant the spotlight was firmly on the defender at Turf Moor.

He responded by scoring the winning goal to help the Blues move four points clear at the top of the Premier League.

Ancelotti had no doubts about selecting Terry against the Clarets and does not see why he would consider handing the armband to someone else.

"There is no discussion about this (the captaincy). I don't know why you ask me this. The players will never lose their trust in him," said the manager.

"It was a good moment for Terry on the pitch today. But he also played well against Birmingham in midweek.

"I did not speak with him. It wasn't necessary because he did well in training yesterday. It was not in my mind he wouldn't play.

"I do not want to talk about his personal life. He is doing his job very well, every day, every training session. For this (reason) I am not worried."

Ancelotti, however, refused to discuss whether Terry should remain skipper of the national team.

"I am manager of Chelsea and that is my focus, not England " he said.

Ancelotti insists that Terry is helping improve the club's profile, not tarnishing it.

He said: "The professionalism of John Terry improves the image of the club. I am a manager and only want to speak about his work. He is a fantastic professional.

"All the club, the players, management and staff are supporting him and his family at this time."

Ancelotti was happy to put some daylight between Chelsea and Manchester United but accepted Burnley had tested his side.

He said: "It was a difficult game, especially in the second half. We were not able to play the way we liked and they equalised.

"We then put more pressure on them and deserved to win. We are four points ahead of Manchester United and that is good."

Where's the Old Git gone? :D

Worry ye not,Ossie old chap. :) I paid a lightning visit to England for a month but now I'm back in the fold.

Ooooooh and what happened to that beer geezer? :D

Guilty as charged,Sea',I was so busy I didn't have time to wipe my a**e! (metaphorically, ofcourse).

I haven't been able to see much Premier League action lately except for a highlight here and there but,from wiping the floor with Sunderland and Birmingham,it appears that we are conjuring up yet another way to bring Man. Utd. and Arsenal back into the mix.The tabloids revelations of off-the-field 'activities' by Terry (and the return of the Africans although that is just a coincidence,isn't it?) saw us put in dodgy performances against Burnley and Hull.I did see the JT winner at Burnley and concluded that he wasn't exactly bursting with pride with the celebrations.He looked a bit tearful probably because he's as guilty as <deleted> and got found out.If he runs away and hides,he'll be no better than that media conscious tosser, Tiger Woods, and the rest of the 'aint life wonderful' spaced out faces on the US Professional golfing circuit.

This Sunday's match against Arsenal will, I hope,take us back to our best form unless,ofcourse, there are more skeletons in the Chelsea cupboard to uncover!

I haven't been able to see much Premier League action lately except for a highlight here and there but,from wiping the floor with Sunderland and Birmingham,it appears that we are conjuring up yet another way to bring Man. Utd. and Arsenal back into the mix.The tabloids revelations of off-the-field 'activities' by Terry (and the return of the Africans although that is just a coincidence,isn't it?) saw us put in dodgy performances against Burnley and Hull.I did see the JT winner at Burnley and concluded that he wasn't exactly bursting with pride with the celebrations.He looked a bit tearful probably because he's as guilty as <deleted> and got found out.If he runs away and hides,he'll be no better than that media conscious tosser, Tiger Woods, and the rest of the 'aint life wonderful' spaced out faces on the US Professional golfing circuit.

This Sunday's match against Arsenal will, I hope,take us back to our best form unless,ofcourse, there are more skeletons in the Chelsea cupboard to uncover!

It's ok Git, tell us how you really feel about Terry, we can handle it.

ge

What about 3-1 to Arsenal ,W Bridge would be happy :)

BT :D

Nice little earner for Fifa me thinks! :)

Court lifts Chelsea transfer ban over Kakuta signing

Chelsea have had their transfer ban lifted by the Court of Arbitration for Sport after reaching an agreement with Lens over the signing of Gael Kakuta.

A statement on the Cas website said that the two clubs and the player had accepted the player's contract with the French side was not valid.

Thus Kakuta could not have terminated it prematurely, so Chelsea could not be liable for inducing it to be breached.

The Cas said all parties agreed the proceedings would remain confidential.

In September 2009, Fifa's Dispute Resolution Chamber imposed a four-month ban on the player and banned Chelsea from registering any new players in the next two transfer windows over the case.

A statement on the club website from chairman Bruce Buck said Chelsea were glad to have resolved the matter amicably.

"It was always our intention to work together with Lens to reach this end, and both clubs have strengthened their relationship as a result of resolving this case to everyone's satisfaction," he said.

"In an act of good faith and with a view to the possibility of future collaboration with Lens, and without recognising any liability, Chelsea has agreed to pay compensation costs for the training given to the player while at Lens, as mandated by Fifa in its original ruling."

Kakuta joined Chelsea in 2007 and finished his first season at the club as the youth team's top scorer, winning the academy's player of the year award.

In his second season, he broke into the youth and reserve teams before suffering a double fracture of his ankle in February 2009.

Chelsea lodged an appeal against the original Fifa ruling, allowing Kakuta to make his first-team debut in the 4-0 win over Wolves at the end of November.

The position is,Jimbo,considering his upbringing, he doesn't realise how lucky he is.He's reached the top of his profession and,naturally there comes with it the glare of publicity.So all he's got to do is keep his nose clean and don't give them the ammunition to bring you down.....and he can't even do that.If he thinks HE'S hard done by,he wants to reflect on those poor buggers still entombed under the rubble in Haiti.

The position is,Jimbo,considering his upbringing, he doesn't realise how lucky he is.He's reached the top of his profession and,naturally there comes with it the glare of publicity.So all he's got to do is keep his nose clean and don't give them the ammunition to bring you down.....and he can't even do that.If he thinks HE'S hard done by,he wants to reflect on those poor buggers still entombed under the rubble in Haiti.

agreed 100%

ge

What about 3-1 to Arsenal ,W Bridge would be happy :)

I will give you 100-1 that score will not be happening camel toe! :D

ge

What about 3-1 to Arsenal ,W Bridge would be happy :D

I will give you 100-1 that score will not be happening camel toe! :D

:):D:D Your on, a quid on it - I am that sure :D even though this was NOT my prediction this week - Not that my predictions are any good this year anyway. :D

PS where is the Camel toe from ? the Bridge ?

BT :cheesy:

Hello (blue) rusky glory hunters,

Liverpool did it last night, Man utd wiped the board last night.

Come on the GOONERS, Oldgit

Ps go to central forum

Khirimat 2 (Still two missing) :):D

Steady on,kelboy,at the rate you're going you'll progress from a 'newbie' to a 'moderater' in double quick time and where will that leave us lowly subscribers? In the grip of a tyrant!

A terrific result and unexpected as far as I was concerned because I thought the John Terry saga would affect the team's morale.Arsenal still haven't learned that,against the top teams,you can't leave yourself exposed to the swift counter attack.Lampard was given far to much space in midfield for the second goal but,even then, Drogba had it all to do.The bloke can be a wally at times but this was a finish from the top drawer.Our home form has been superb this season but we need to carry the sort of resilience and clinical finishing,we showed yesterday, on our travels.

Chelsea's win ends difficult week - Didier Drogba

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba admitted the claims about John Terry's private life had made it a "difficult week" before Sunday's win over Arsenal.

But Drogba, who scored both goals in the 2-0 victory, said Chelsea's captain had full backing from his team-mates.

"We offered him as much support as we can, and the best thing for him is to play," said the Ivorian.

"We tried to stay together and focus on the game. The most important thing is we are top of the league."

Terry, 29, was sacked as England skipper on Friday following a week of allegations that he had an affair with Vanessa Perroncel, the ex-girlfriend of former Blues colleague Wayne Bridge.

"It is a matter of time but we will stick together and keep looking forward," added Drogba, who has now scored 12 goals in 12 matches against Arsenal.

Terry's performance against the Gunners delighted his manager Carlo Ancelotti, who described him as "the perfect captain" for Chelsea.

Terry, who was given a standing ovation by the Chelsea fans after Sunday's victory, set up Drogba's first goal, and Ancelotti said: "I wanted to hug him at the end to thank him for his performance.

"For the team it is important to have this leadership. He is always in control of the game and really he has a strong mentality."

He added: "The England captaincy was not my decision and I do not want to judge this decision."

Ancelotti's Arsenal counterpart, Arsene Wenger, said he was "proud" of his players' performance despite losing the Stamford Bridge encounter. The Frenchman also insisted that his side could still claim the Premier League title.

"I feel that we are not in the best position, but we will not give up," said Wenger. "It's difficult to swallow a defeat like that when we felt we were the better team.

"They scored from their first corner, when we're not focused, and again from a counter-attack. But apart from that I am very proud of our performance.

"We tried very hard but Chelsea defended very well until the last minute so you have got to give them some credit."

The Gunners boss added that his team's chances of winning the title were not over.

"We are outsiders but we will fight until the last day of the season," said Wenger. "Let's come back and win our next game first and then see where we stand."

Arsenal's next fixture is a Premier League home tie against Liverpool on Wednesday.

Ankle fracture rules Ashley Cole out for three months

Chelsea will be without Ashley Cole for around three months after the England defender fractured his left ankle in Wednesday's 2-1 defeat by Everton.

The 29-year-old left-back limped off in the second half after a challenge by Everton's Landon Donovan.

It leaves him with a fight to regain his fitness in time for this summer's World Cup, with England's first match against the United States on 12 June.

Cole has been in superb form for Chelsea this season and his absence will be a blow to Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti, who saw his side's lead at the top of the Premier League cut to one point after their defeat at Goodison Park.

Yuri Zhirkov could deputise at left-back although Paulo Ferreira, predominantly a right-back, is versatile enough to play anywhere across the backline.

Cole could be back in action by mid-May but it leaves him only a handful of games before the finals in South Africa get under way.

And he will definitely miss England's only scheduled friendly before the World Cup, against Egypt at Wembley on 3 March, although there are plans to arrange another game against Mexico ahead of the finals.

That means Manchester City's left-back Wayne Bridge, who was caught up in the scandal that led to John Terry being stripped of the England captaincy last week, is likely to come into the reckoning.

Terry has been given time off by Chelsea and will miss Saturday's FA Cup tie against Cardiff after flying to Dubai to visit his wife.

He is alleged to have had an affair with Bridge's ex-girlfriend Vanessa Perroncel, and Bridge has yet to indicate whether he is prepared to play alongside his former Chelsea team-mate for England.

Chelsea 4 - 1 Cardiff

Chelsea cruise into last eight

Updated: February 13, 2010, 8:15 AM UK

Holders Chelsea reached the FA Cup quarter-finals with a 4-1 victory after Cardiff had briefly threatened to cause a major shock.

• Wilkins not worried about Cole

• Palmer: Chelsea cash in

• FA Cup Gallery

Didier Drogba put Chelsea in front in the second minute but Michael Chopra stunned the home side with an equaliser before half-time.

But second-half goals from Michael Ballack, Daniel Sturridge and substitute Salomon Kalou put Carlo Ancelotti's side into the last eight.

Chelsea got off to a great start when John Obi Mikel's long ball put Drogba in the clear and the striker ran on to fire past the static David Marshall. It was Drogba's fourth goal in three games since his return from the African Nations Cup and his 23rd of the season.

Cardiff almost equalised when Peter Whittingham's free-kick was sent towards the top corner by Anthony Gerrard but with City ready to celebrate an equaliser, Hilario somehow managed to get across and tip the ball over the bar.

In the 25th minute, Drogba was unlucky with an overhead kick from six yards when a cross from Ballack had found him ahead of his marker. Fortunately for Marshall in the City goal, Drogba's effort went straight to him.

Chelsea remained in control of the game with Cardiff restricted to rare counter-attacks but one of them paid off in stunning fashion in the 34th minute when they equalised through Chopra.

Chopra got his 17th goal of the season when he got clear of Alex to head Chris Burke's cross into the net beyond the helpless Hilario, to the delight of the 6,000 travelling City fans.

The Cardiff equaliser had certainly livened the game up but Chelsea gradually managed to get on top once more.

Sturridge, who has scored in the last two rounds, was a yard wide with a 25-yard shot in the 43rd minute.

Chelsea's passing began to go astray as the half wore on and Cardiff were able to end the first half on level terms.

Chelsea replaced the ineffective Joe Cole with Kalou at half-time.

Drogba, the only Chelsea player really on his game, found Marshall alert when he tried to send a 25-yard free-kick inside the near post just seconds after the restart.

But Chelsea were back in front in the 51st minute when Drogba's pass evaded Mark Kennedy to put Michael Ballack through on goal. Ballack kept his cool to volley the ball over Marshall and make it 2-1.

Chelsea defender Alex was unlucky to see a header cleared by the Cardiff rearguard on the hour as the home side pressed for a third goal.

The home side were again in control with Drogba at the heart of all their best moves, and he was unlucky not to get on the end of a through-ball from Paulo Ferreira while Sturridge shot well wide from 20 yards in the 67th minute.

Chelsea finally got a third in the 69th minute when a scrappy build-up allowed the ball to run loose to Sturridge, who slipped it beyond Marshall.

It was his fourth goal in the competition - and his last contribution before being replaced by Florent Malouda.

Cardiff continued to make sporadic forays into the Chelsea half and on one such attack, Kevin McNaughton was a yard wide with a 20-yard angled drive.

Whittingham then brought a fine save out of Hilario with a low drive from 25 yards as Chelsea rested on their two-goal lead.

However, Kalou made it 4-1 in the 86th minute when he superbly headed home a cross from Ferreira, twisting his body in mid-air to send the header over Marshall's reach and into the top corner of the net.

Malouda was way off target in the 90th minute when he tried his luck from the edge of the penalty area - but Chelsea had done enough to go through to the last eight.

Wilkins not worried about Cole

Chelsea assistant manager Ray Wilkins insists Chelsea are happy with Joe Cole's form after he was taken off at half-time during their win over Cardiff.

"Joe wasn't injured, it was just a tactical thing," he said. "We have a squad full of quality and therefore the manager will change things if he sees fit.

"We are very fortunate as far as that is concerned. I am not concerned about his form. When you have had a long lay-off like Joe, it really is a shock to the system, but it does take a bit of time to get back into your tip-top form.

"That will come with Joe. He is working extremely hard day-by-day, so we don't see any problems there at all."

However, Wilkins did admit Cardiff posed them plenty of problems in the opening half.

"It was tougher than we thought," he said. "We anticipated having a hard game. Cardiff played exceptionally well and gave us a lot of problems in the first half.

"But thankfully we managed to up the tempo in the second half and it became a tad easier for us. But we have got to give Cardiff credit as well. For an hour they gave us a tough old game.

"Our team was changed but we took quality out and quality came back in. It is the professionalism of our players that shines through.

"Some people might have thought this was going to be a bit of an easy game for us but those guys took it by the throat and pulled us through when we were not playing particularly well. I would include Frank Lampard in that as well. Full credit to those guys."

Cardiff boss David Jones paid tribute to his players after they threatened to pull off a major cup upset.

"It is hard on them because the scoreline looks like it has been a bit of a drubbing," Jones said. "That bit of quality has come through for them. Certainly for over an hour we gave a good account of ourselves and showed great character after going a goal down after a couple of minutes.

"I decided to come here and have a go. Every player today deserved a lot of plaudits because they worked their socks off but you get undone by the little bit of quality their guys have.

"We regrouped after conceding an early goal and stuck to our game-plan when they were in possession. We grew in confidence and their keeper pulled off some fantastic saves, but as the game went on they imposed their quality.

"It gives us some credit that Ancelotti brought on his big guns. Great credit to our lads though. Chelsea is the best club in their division at the moment but, when you look at the players they have got, it was a great achievement from our players.

"I cannot fault them in anything they have done, they were magnificent. It looks like a drubbing but it was far from that. This result is done and dusted now it is back to the bread and butter on Tuesday."

Terry accepts fault for Everton defeat

By Soccernet staff

February 13, 2010

Comment

Email

Print

John Terry has accepted responsibility for the goals that saw Chelsea lose 2-1 at Everton on Wednesday night.

GettyImages

Terry feels Chelsea have to improve away from home

Terry, currently with his wife in Dubai following recent allegations over his private life, suffered a disappointing night at Goodison Park and many feel he was at fault for both goals.

He wrote in Chelsea's matchday programme: "We went to Everton and suffered a bad defeat. On a personal note, both Everton goals were my fault. I'm big enough to take responsibility for that.

"Also, I know no-one went over to our fans on the far side of the ground so, on behalf of everyone there, I apologise for that. From now on, we'll make sure players come over to you, whatever the score. Once again, we are really sorry."

The result was a big boost for Manchester United and Arsenal and Terry admits they cannot afford to keep dropping points away from home if they are to reclaim the title.

"At home, we've been great but, if we want to go on and win the league, our form away from Stamford Bridge needs to improve," he said. "Three or four times this year, when Manchester United have had tough games, we've failed to extend our lead at the top.

"There's another tough period coming up for both teams and Arsenal still haven't quite gone away. We are in the lead and we need to, and can, keep it that way.

Wolves 0 - 2 Chelsea

Didier Drogba struck twice to take his season's total to 25 as Chelsea sunk Wolves to extend their lead at the top of the Premier League to four points.

The Ivory Coast frontman made the most of two rare chances in an unconvincing away display, sliding home his first from Yuri Zhirkov's pinpoint cross.

Drogba then latched on to Petr Cech's long kick for his second to wrap it up.

But Wolves will feel hard done by, with Cech twice denying Adlene Guedioura to render a brave home display fruitless.

And while the hosts should certainly take heart from a performance that once again proves they can live with the best sides at the Molineux on their day, another defeat means they remain perilously close to the drop zone.

For Chelsea, though, victory will be just what boss Carlo Ancelotti will have wanted after another week of front-page allegations and controversy surrounding the Stamford Bridge outfit.

The win also serves to reignite their title charge after a decidedly patchy run of form, especially on the back of rivals Manchester United's defeat by Everton earlier in the day.

Not that many observers will look back on this match as a particularly convincing Chelsea victory by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyone who witnessed Wolves' displays in their draws with Liverpool and Aston Villa, or their win over Tottenham, at the Molineux this season will have been less than surprised by their approach.

Packed across midfield and deep in defence, Wolves hassled and harried, suffocating Chelsea's creative players and denying the front-runners space and time to manoeuvre in attack.

And for much of the first half, the hosts' game plan worked to perfection. With Chelsea looking increasingly bereft of ideas, it was Mick McCarthy's men looking the more threatening on the odd occasion they sprung a counter-attack.

Kevin Doyle, in particular, was a threat and he twice stung the palms of Blues keeper Cech, once with a low effort after a decent run across the box and then again with a snap-shot that the Czech Republic international did well to turn around his near post.

Perhaps unsurprisingly for a side boasting the second lowest tally in the league, though, Wolves failed to turn their half chances into goals - and when Chelsea finally put together a move of real incision and class they were made to pay for their lack of a cutting edge.

The impressive Zhirkov was the creator, exchanging a neat one-two with Michael Ballack on the edge of the box before crossing low for Drogba to complete the simplest of tap-ins at the far post in the 40th minute.

It was a rare moment of cohesion going forward for Chelsea, who have certainly lost an element of sparkle in recent weeks with only one win away from home in six league matches.

However, the opening goal failed to fire the visitors to greater heights at the start of the second half and only the commanding presence of Cech kept them ahead.

First a cross from Matt Jarvis floated to the onrushing and unmarked Guedioura at the back post, only for the midfielder's crashing volley to be beaten away by Cech.

And then Kevin Foley brought an even better stop from the Blues keeper when he latched on to an error from John Terry to fire goalwards, his shot smothered bravely by Cech, Guedioura seeing his follow-up cleared.

Chelsea skipper Terry, of course, has been at the heart of the stories splashed across the tabloids in recent weeks.

But while Ashley Cole was spared the ignominy of the Molineux taunts by injury, there was no such respite for Terry - and it was another less than convincing performance from the former England captain.

As with in the first half, though, Chelsea proved their most dangerous when on the back foot.

However, if the first goal was all about 'total' football, the second was far more direct - and how that, in itself, underlines the Blues' all-round threat this season.

Drogba was again the dagger in the Wolves defenders' hearts, latching on to Cech's booming goal kick, nodding round home keeper Marcus Hahnemann with his first touch and tapping in with his second.

The hosts continued to battle valiantly thereafter but, in truth, their spirit had been broken.

Doyle curled harmlessly wide and Terry cleared Greg Halford's long throw off the line - though, as it was direct from the throw, it would not have counted anyway - but the remaining 20 minutes were comfortable for Chelsea.

And so the Londoners made it four Premier League wins over Wolves in four matches to make the most of Manchester United's earlier slip-up and ensure they remain in pole position in the title race.

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy:

"I've just had a right chew at the lads in the dressing-room because we've lost a game that we shouldn't have.

We've let Chelsea off the hook today and that's what has annoyed me. We had them in that second half, we had them. We created chances, didn't take them, and then conceded a

sloppy second goal that has killed us.

"Chelsea are the champions-elect and we've matched them in all departments today except putting the ball in the back of the net."

It's good to see that Cech is finally getting back to the form he showed when he was being touted as the best keeper around.However,its never been his shot stopping that has been brought into question,rather his bravery and decision making when the crosses have been lofted into the six yard box.

Zhirkov is filling Ashley Cole's shoes very nicely and is improving with every game.A very important three points under the circumstances.

It's good to see that Cech is finally getting back to the form he showed when he was being touted as the best keeper around.However,its never been his shot stopping that has been brought into question,rather his bravery and decision making when the crosses have been lofted into the six yard box.

Zhirkov is filling Ashley Cole's shoes very nicely and is improving with every game.A very important three points under the circumstances.

Tough one last night OG. Penalty? Now Cech out for how long?

Tough one last night OG. Penalty? Now Cech out for how long?

As far as I'm concerned,it should have been a penalty but the referee doesn't have the all round visual facilities that we have.Kalou didn't help himself by going down a bit theatrically but the referee was well behind the play at the time and didn't have a good view. I'd like to see the immediate aftermath of the 'trip' again when Julio Cesar and Kalou were tangled up on the floor and scrambling for the loose ball.It looked like that could have been a decent shout for a penalty.

They are talking about three months for Cech to be out if it is a torn muscle.I'm not a big fan of Cech,anyway,so I don't see it as a problem as I think Hilario is a decent keeper.

The match,itself,highlighted what a very good passing side we are.We dominated the midfield and it was strange to see good players like Snejder resorting to scrambling around and putting in desperate tackles.However,when Inter did get the ball,they always looked dangerous going forward with Milito and Eto looking to expose our lack of pace at the back,hence the first goal.I thought that Mikel and Malouda were our best players.Malouda,playing at left back,was a constant threat going forward and Mikel is improving with every game.

Lucio was their dominant player,marshalling their defence.He's got everything including pace and kept Drogba quiet for most of the game.I wish we had him!

I didn't see the game yesterday as I was at a birthday party but,according to reports,it was a comedy of errors that lead to City's first goal and a catalogue of joke defending and indiscipline that rendered the second half a laughing stock.So,for a team that prides itself on it's strength of character,what went wrong?Well, a performance like this has been on the horizon ever since the Terry and Asley Cole stories have broke, and the club has dealt with these episodes with the sensitivity of a sledge hammer.

British footballers are,by and large,from working class stock and definitely low down in the intelligence department,so, when individuals like these are able to piss up the wall in a minute what most of us earn in a month,then,temptations abound. So,when Ashley Cole drags a bit of skirt back to his hotel room during the pre season tour of the U.S.A and gets a fine of 400 grand while Terry knocks up Wayne Bridge's bird and the mother of his son and gets the full support of the club by allowing him time off to mend his marriage. Before which,he was involved in shady behind-the-scenes tours of the training ground for a fee which,he said,was for charity.Why keep it a secret then,John? Result?No disciplinary action forthcoming from the club.Double standards? Undoubtedly,when you consider that paragon of innocence,Roman Abramovich,is now shacked up with a 25 year old model after leaving his second wife and mother of his five kids.How is he in a position to take the moral high ground? Why disclose the Cole tryst NOW when we are three quarters of the way through the season and he was in the form of his life? Talk about shoot yourself in the foot!

Now the culmination of all this is <deleted> is starting to effect the squad and,more notably,Terry's form.He's a liability now and my opinion is that we should get shot of him in the summer and form a new,pacier central defensive partnership.As far as this season goes,the club and the players will have to pick up the pieces of a season that had promised so much.They have let the fans down by their actions in consistently dragging in controversy when it looked like we were in the ascendency.

I didn't see the game yesterday as I was at a birthday party but,according to reports,it was a comedy of errors that lead to City's first goal and a catalogue of joke defending and indiscipline that rendered the second half a laughing stock.So,for a team that prides itself on it's strength of character,what went wrong?Well, a performance like this has been on the horizon ever since the Terry and Asley Cole stories have broke, and the club has dealt with these episodes with the sensitivity of a sledge hammer.

British footballers are,by and large,from working class stock and definitely low down in the intelligence department,so, when individuals like these are able to piss up the wall in a minute what most of us earn in a month,then,temptations abound. So,when Ashley Cole drags a bit of skirt back to his hotel room during the pre season tour of the U.S.A and gets a fine of 400 grand while Terry knocks up Wayne Bridge's bird and the mother of his son and gets the full support of the club by allowing him time off to mend his marriage. Before which,he was involved in shady behind-the-scenes tours of the training ground for a fee which,he said,was for charity.Why keep it a secret then,John? Result?No disciplinary action forthcoming from the club.Double standards? Undoubtedly,when you consider that paragon of innocence,Roman Abramovich,is now shacked up with a 25 year old model after leaving his second wife and mother of his five kids.How is he in a position to take the moral high ground? Why disclose the Cole tryst NOW when we are three quarters of the way through the season and he was in the form of his life? Talk about shoot yourself in the foot!

Now the culmination of all this is <deleted> is starting to effect the squad and,more notably,Terry's form.He's a liability now and my opinion is that we should get shot of him in the summer and form a new,pacier central defensive partnership.As far as this season goes,the club and the players will have to pick up the pieces of a season that had promised so much.They have let the fans down by their actions in consistently dragging in controversy when it looked like we were in the ascendency.

Spot on observations git

An absolutely refreshingly honest Post Uncle Albert, you're spot on with it & fiar play for Posting it..

Just because it's your Team & your Players, it doesn't mean they're right ALL of the time, soemthing that man Football Fans don't seem to understand.

& you're right, all the nonsense that's going on was bound to have an effect somewhere along the lines..

City took their chances yesterday, that was the difference & a couple of those chances you presented to them in all honesty.

Add to that you commited suicide by the lack of indiscipline ( Ballack ) & individual errors ( Beletti/Mikel ).

I know i go on about it but it's because i feel strongly, no wonder Terry is such an arrogant <deleted> with what that Crowd allow him to get away with & i'm one of the few that don't even think his Football allows him to be first choice England Center Back let alone at a Club who aspire to be the best in the World..

See Everton away for evidence of it, i've said it for Years but he REGULARY gets caughtly badly out of position & under the ball which is criminal for a Centre Half at that level, especially one who is about as quick as the Slug i have crawling up my Front Steps at the moment..