Girlfriend Visa Help

Hi there, new to this forum.

Just looking for some opinions please.

So I have been with my gf since Feb last year, I have visited twice last June and Xmas 4 weeks each.

I am going to see her in June for 3 weeks. we have not applied for a visa yet, but that is the plan.

we are both 24 we have been thinking about trying for a baby in June.

Dont get me wrong we are not trying for a baby just to gain the visa, but will this harm or increase our chances of getting her a visa?

I have asked these questions before an another web site and been shot out the water.

thanks in advance

What country are you trying to get her a visa for? And are you a national of that country?

Edit: What type of visa is she trying to get?

this is what we are trying to decide, what visa would be best? would it be better to marry in Thailand? etc etc etc

There are few very knowlegable UK members that will be along shortly to advise you on your best visa option. This is unrelated to visa, however you are both very young. Why not hold back on the baby plan a bit. At 24 you most likely both need to live and work in UK at least for some time. She may hate uk , miss family and Thailand way too much. I know farang from your age up to much older, forced to live in their own country and support Thai wife and baby in los. Often ends in disaster. Good luck son. As they say in los....take your time.

• Like 1

You would need to marry, best in Thailand for her family (Sinsord, etc.)

Are you working in the UK? Can you prove the amount of finances involved to get her a settlement visa to the UK, can she speak English, has she done the language course. Look at the pinned topic and read through before making the next step or decision.

thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate it.

so we will put the baby plans on hold, we will go the visitor visa route i think.

everything is there for the visa like our relationship is genuine etc.

just have one thing holding us back "reason to return to Thailand"

she does not work, lives with parents

thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate it.

so we will put the baby plans on hold, we will go the visitor visa route i think.

everything is there for the visa like our relationship is genuine etc.

just have one thing holding us back "reason to return to Thailand"

she does not work, lives with parents

Our first visit visa was applied for after we had been together for four months and we had a few flight bookings, boarding cards and hotel bookings along with many, many photos that we had been taking all over Thailand and with her family. The main thing that probably swayed it was the letter we had from her employer in the hotel where she was working when we met. Very well written on hotel headed notepaper (and stamped) with a letter from her boss explaining that she had a months unpaid leave.

For the second visit visa I explained that I was supporting her. Is she having to look after her parents?

I have hotel receipts with her name on, we are flying to Kuala Lumpur so thats flight tickets.

she lives at home with her parents so yes you could say she looks after them. I do earn enough to qualify for the settlement visa, but should i not apply for the tourist visa first?

Thanks again everyone

A settlement visa (M) means that you will have to get married in the UK within the six month period of the visa before applying for Further leave to remain. Big money if things don't work out or she hates it here. And she can't work in the six months she is here.

Surely it would be better to bring your girlfriend over for a holiday or two to find out if she likes it here?

A 6 month visit visa will allow her to do that. The difficulty will be showing that she will go home to Thailand.

She has no job to return to so you can’t get a letter from her boss.

A settlement visa (M) means that you will have to get married in the UK within the six month period of the visa before applying for Further leave to remain. Big money if things don't work out or she hates it here. And she can't work in the six months she is here.

Surely it would be better to bring your girlfriend over for a holiday or two to find out if she likes it here?

A 6 month visit visa will allow her to do that. The difficulty will be showing that she will go home to Thailand.

She has no job to return to so you can’t get a letter from her boss.

personally I think the only problem we have is the "reason to return"

And that is a very serious issue and many Thai obtaining visas do not return - so the burden of proof is on her and is indeed very difficult to prove when there is not serious family money/business/education/employment/conference type proof available. If she has a history of travel it would help but this does not appear to be the case. Perhaps the biggest issue, is Thai feel a loss of face if refused something after making application so it might be even more than the visa fee if not successful. But only you and she can determine if tourist option is viable. You are now aware it can be iffy.

• Like 1

Rather than your GF coming here in June maybe it would be better if she finds a job to start building "credit" towards a better case for the reason to return and you visit her again.

If she owns property it's a plus. If she isn’t working because she is looking after sick parents that could be a reason why she is not working. How is she surviving without money or does she have an income from something else?

Just a few ideas for you. Don't think about lying on the application. If you are subsequently found out she can be banned from applying again. Up to ten years if I remember.

Just remember it needs to be her that applies for a tourist visa - you can be involved in other types but for tourist it should be her alone as you just make the reason to return even less clear. I do not know if UK laws are like USA but that would almost guarantee decline of visa if they knew there was romantic attachment with a UK national living in UK (but in USA there is a shortcut process to stay once inside country that may not be available in UK). So perhaps I have been too negative due to that and don't want you to miss something because of chance. Cost of tourist visa application should not be that great and you have much to gain if it is approved - but please let her know if there are issues it is not her fault and you will not feel that it is. Good luck.

And that is a very serious issue and many Thai obtaining visas do not return - so the burden of proof is on her and is indeed very difficult to prove when there is not serious family money/business/education/employment/conference type proof available. If she has a history of travel it would help but this does not appear to be the case. Perhaps the biggest issue, is Thai feel a loss of face if refused something after making application so it might be even more than the visa fee if not successful. But only you and she can determine if tourist option is viable. You are now aware it can be iffy.

'Many Thai obtaining visas do not return'

Where do you get this idea from? Government figures show 31 Thai removals and voluntary departures in 2014 and 21 removals and voluntary departures in 2015. This does not suggest 'many' to me. Total for all countries about 12000 in 2015.

I accept these may be the tip of the iceberg and not all over stayers will be recorded but it suggests that only a small number of Thais fail to return.

A very sweeping suggestion based on little evidence. Of those entering the UK on visas, I suspect very few overstay. Those 'trafficked' into the UK probably swamp the few that misuse their visas.

Very few properly prepared visas are rejected but it is true that the burden of proof is on the applicant and it can be difficult to demonstrate reasons to return to the satisfaction of an ECO. It is not necessary (or possible) to prove an applicant will return which is why the ECO has to work to the civil standard of balance of probabilities!

Edit: a visit visa cannot be converted to a settlement visa within the UK.

Edited by bobrussell

I am talking in general terms above (not specific to UK) but stand by my statement - that is the reason such a close check is made of Thai (and other) applicants - but indeed that close check should make the totals small if it works. In posters case there is much more concern that intent would be to remain with the relationship issue.

Edit: but if conversion to stay is not an option in UK this relationship issue may not be as big a factor as it would be with US application.

Edited by lopburi3

Edit: but if conversion to stay is not an option in UK this relationship issue may not be as big a factor as it would be with US application.

It isn't. On a visit visa to the UK you can’t work, you can’t get married and if I remember you can study for a very limited period. If you want to do any of those things you need to appropriate visa type.

seems like such a nightmare, if only you could be accepted for a visa by proving our relationship is genuine.

Sadly not but you will need to be her sponsor for GF's visa showing you have enough money for her trip, cost of flights, place to live etc. It's that reason to return that is the difficult one. And having kids makes no real difference as so many Thai women work away for their families to support them.

'Many Thai obtaining visas do not return'

Where do you get this idea from? Government figures show 31 Thai removals and voluntary departures in 2014 and 21 removals and voluntary departures in 2015. This does not suggest 'many' to me. Total for all countries about 12000 in 2015.

I accept these may be the tip of the iceberg and not all over stayers will be recorded but it suggests that only a small number of Thais fail to return.

A very sweeping suggestion based on little evidence. Of those entering the UK on visas, I suspect very few overstay. Those 'trafficked' into the UK probably swamp the few that misuse their visas.

Bob, the reason that they don't show up in the 'statistics' is that they go 'Black' ... go 'underground'.

We have a friend of in the US doing that right now.

Ditto the UK.

Speaking, informally to a few countries Embassies, is that they are happy to issue the 'Visit Visa' (equivalent there of), they just want to have some confidence that the applicant will return home before the Visa expires.

And adhere to the terms of same.

But many do not. Men disappear into labouring/construction.

Woman often into Thai restaurants or massage shops.

Not all, some ... enough to be a concern.

They don't 'appear' in the statistics maybe because they often return voluntarily, overstaying their visa, knowing they have little chance of returning, but having made enough money to support the Family in Thailand.

Such is life.

Just remember it needs to be her that applies for a tourist visa - you can be involved in other types but for tourist it should be her alone as you just make the reason to return even less clear. I do not know if UK laws are like USA but that would almost guarantee decline of visa if they knew there was romantic attachment with a UK national living in UK (but in USA there is a shortcut process to stay once inside country that may not be available in UK). So perhaps I have been too negative due to that and don't want you to miss something because of chance. Cost of tourist visa application should not be that great and you have much to gain if it is approved - but please let her know if there are issues it is not her fault and you will not feel that it is. Good luck.

It is correct that it will be her application.

However, as far as the UK is concerned there is no reason why a visitor cannot be sponsored by their boyfriend, girlfriend, partner or even spouse who lives in the UK.

Indeed, if the OP is paying for the visit and providing accomodation for her while she is in the Uk then he will have to be involved and explain why he is so doing, i.e. their relationship, as well as providing evidence of his ability to so do.

Georgelfc19, there are many couples in your position who have successfully obtained a UK visit visa; even when the applicant has no concrete reason to return. If the Entry Clearance Officer is satisfied that your relationship is genuine then there is a good chance they will believe that your girlfriend would not jeopardise any future settlement application by overstaying a visit.

You may find UK visit visa basics helpful, it needs some updating, especially the links, but the essentials haven't changed.

See also Standard visitor visa from UKVI.

It is correct that it will be her application.

However, as far as the UK is concerned there is no reason why a visitor cannot be sponsored by their boyfriend, girlfriend, partner or even spouse who lives in the UK.

Indeed, if the OP is paying for the visit and providing accomodation for her while she is in the Uk then he will have to be involved and explain why he is so doing, i.e. their relationship, as well as providing evidence of his ability to so do.

Georgelfc19, there are many couples in your position who have successfully obtained a UK visit visa; even when the applicant has no concrete reason to return. If the Entry Clearance Officer is satisfied that your relationship is genuine then there is a good chance they will believe that your girlfriend would not jeopardise any future settlement application by overstaying a visit.

You may find UK visit visa basics helpful, it needs some updating, especially the links, but the essentials haven't changed.

See also Standard visitor visa from UKVI.

Cheers mate, this has given me a bit of hope. I am very confident we can prove our relationship is genuine

I've not been active for a long time so I'm sure my knowledge of visas is not what it was, but I'm not sure that statement is correct (not that anyone has quoted or commented on this so I don't suppose it really matters unless someone applies for the wrong visa as a result of reading that and not researching properly)...

The fiance visa is the one that lasts 6 months during which time you must get married in the UK. Don't hold me to this because I could be wrong, but I think you might be able to apply for a settlement visa once you're married and before the fiance visa expires without leaving the UK (if the fiance visa expires she should already be back in Thailand, married or not). That might be classed as 'leave to remain'. 'Further leave to remain (or FLR)' cannot be applied for until she's been in the UK for 30 months, following which the next step is 'Indefinite leave to remain (or ILR)'. I believe she cannot work whilst here on a fiance visa, but once she's on a settlement visa she can work.

If your field of work enables you to work in the EU for (at least) 3 months then an easier way to get ILR in the UK is the Surinder Singh route...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surinder_Singh_route

The Surinder Singh route is a method for British citizens to secure UK immigration rights for their non-European spouses, who are unable to join their partners because of several changes in UK immigration law aimed at reducing net migration. Through EU Regulations on Free Movement of Peoples, it provides a window of opportunity to reunite UK citizens with their spouses in the increasing number of cases where the new rules on income and other additional measures mean that such spouses of UK citizens would otherwise be separated by the requirements of increasingly strict visa controls

Edited by JB300

The fiance visa is the one that lasts 6 months during which time you must get married in the UK. Don't hold me to this because I could be wrong, but I think you might be able to apply for a settlement visa once you're married and before the fiance visa expires without leaving the UK (if the fiance visa expires she should already be back in Thailand, married or not). That might be classed as 'leave to remain'. 'Further leave to remain (or FLR)' cannot be applied for until she's been in the UK for 30 months, following which the next step is 'Indefinite leave to remain (or ILR)'.

The Settlement visa the GF has is the fiancee visa. Six months to get married in UK then an FLR application within the UK.

I believe she cannot work whilst here on a fiance visa, but once she's on a settlement visa she can work.

That's right.