improved beef at Classic Burger (moonmuang soi 9)

Awk

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The use of top cuts of beef does serve one purpose, to sound fancy.

And to those who actually understand, to sound like whomever is writing the menu doesn't also understand.

My experience was they brought me a cheese burger when I wrote down a hamburger and read to them my order twice.

When I showed them they took it back, scrapped off most of the cheese and returned my burger which was cold by then.

As they kept say "NO CHARGE NO CHARGE" I figured like the poster above:

(I think Aussie Boys and Classic are the only two places in Thailand that compensated me much more than I would ever have expected for a minor mistake (Aussie Boys) or unexpected delay (Classic). In fact, I think they might be the only two places in Thailand that have compensated me whatsoever, so agree with the other poster, the Classic Burger guy has choosen his staff well.)

That it was on the house, as it would be in the West if they didn't bother to make a new one.

Well the fuss they were making was for 10 bht off for the cheese, the cheese I didn't order, didn't eat and in the end didn't even get!

So let's see what we have here. Classic Burgers excel at apologising and choosing the wrong cuts of beef to prepare their burgers as well as having a great staff.

Their weak points seems to be producing an edible hamburger. Two locally famous chefs (jungle chef and Dave from Dukes) have not given a a five star review of their dinning experience or even a 4,3,2 star review.

Often times the amateurs and those who are undercapitalised are the first to get washed out inslow times.

So cmtg, seven posts, since you gave up on your last incarnation, and six of them are Classic burger bashing.

Got a chip?

For your info Heston recommends several cuts of beef for his burgers, including Chuck.

The How To Cook Like Heston book recommends using Sirloin

In Search of Perfection uses 50% Shortrib, 25% Chuck and 25% Brisket. So 50% is Shortrib

As you are so well informed you will of course know that Shortrib ( American cuts ) is called the Sirloin ( British cuts ) and that the Sirloin/Shortrib sections of a beef carcas are where the Rib Eye comes from.

I don't even like beefburgers but you are being particularly vindictive to someone who is obviously trying their best to improve their product and seems to be listening to what their customers are saying.

post-115613-0-65840400-1463738962_thumb.

post-115613-0-04531400-1463738982_thumb.

So cmtg, seven posts, since you gave up on your last incarnation, and six of them are Classic burger bashing.

Got a chip?

For your info Heston recommends several cuts of beef for his burgers, including Chuck.

The How To Cook Like Heston book recommends using Sirloin

In Search of Perfection uses 50% Shortrib, 25% Chuck and 25% Brisket. So 50% is Shortrib

As you are so well informed you will of course know that Shortrib ( American cuts ) is called the Sirloin ( British cuts ) and that the Sirloin/Shortrib sections of a beef carcas are where the Rib Eye comes from.

I don't even like beefburgers but you are being particularly vindictive to someone who is obviously trying their best to improve their product and seems to be listening to what their customers are saying.

Umm... categorically sirloin is not rib-eye. It's prime rib. There's a big difference between the two.

http://www.shortlist.com/food-drink/the-ultimate-steak-manual

Where you will find rib-eye and prime rib - with sirloin being the latter not the former.

Sorry missed the bit where I said Sirloin was Rib Eye, I believe I wrote that Rib eye came from the same section of a beef caracas, which it does as it is located at the front of the Sirloin nearest the head, as your helpful link confirms.

The use of top cuts of beef does serve one purpose, to sound fancy.

And to those who actually understand, to sound like whomever is writing the menu doesn't also understand.

My experience was they brought me a cheese burger when I wrote down a hamburger and read to them my order twice.

When I showed them they took it back, scrapped off most of the cheese and returned my burger which was cold by then.

As they kept say "NO CHARGE NO CHARGE" I figured like the poster above:

(I think Aussie Boys and Classic are the only two places in Thailand that compensated me much more than I would ever have expected for a minor mistake (Aussie Boys) or unexpected delay (Classic). In fact, I think they might be the only two places in Thailand that have compensated me whatsoever, so agree with the other poster, the Classic Burger guy has choosen his staff well.)

That it was on the house, as it would be in the West if they didn't bother to make a new one.

Well the fuss they were making was for 10 bht off for the cheese, the cheese I didn't order, didn't eat and in the end didn't even get!

So let's see what we have here. Classic Burgers excel at apologising and choosing the wrong cuts of beef to prepare their burgers as well as having a great staff.

Their weak points seems to be producing an edible hamburger. Two locally famous chefs (jungle chef and Dave from Dukes) have not given a a five star review of their dinning experience or even a 4,3,2 star review.

Often times the amateurs and those who are undercapitalised are the first to get washed out inslow times.

Never said they apologized, but they just seemed to realized they should do something, which wasn't enough in my opinion for the reason of why should I have to suffer (relative term smile.png ) eating a cold burger for the price of a fresh one when they made the mistake.

Their pride was actually comical with the way they repeated "no charge, no charge" and I found out that in fact they were just not going to overcharged me.

As for the cut of beef, I find I'm often told the wrong term for the cut of beef I'm served here never the less considering the confusion displayed in the above posts on the subject.

But I don't really care where it comes from on the cow as long as they don't sell it as a particular cut and it works as in taste, texture etc are good.

(but it should be 100% beef not mixed with pork if they are going to call it a hamburger esp. if it's a Western run place, unless noted on menu)

I don't give stars as they are meaningless without some sort of standard nor I am in the biz of selling burgers.

Actually I didn't even "review" the place, just shared an antidote of my experience in the discussion of them compensating for mistakes.

I wouldn't expect 5 star product from a place like that esp. for what they charge.

I will say it was a fine meal, my kids liked it of course, and I really have nothing bad or more to say.

Ok, yeah it's JC, I always have more to say smile.png

The service was typical Thai, I only want to point that out as so many raved about it and I didn't feel the same.

We ate in the mess, trash and dirty dishes of the last three parties who ate in the same area, our simple order got messed up as I mentioned already and the staff didn't really understand the basics of being a waiter. For instance she was just standing there or taking pics with her phone after I asked for our drinks a few times. Nothing serious that ruined the meal and the ladies were quite pleasant.

It's just another burger place to me, I wish them all the best, and from the way it looked they cared enough to succeed.

(I'm back to edit in an addition, it's always easy to find fault especially when one's expectations are high. If I just walked in off the street I probably would have been impressed, them fries were pretty tasty!!)

Edited by junglechef

I was feeling lazy last night so Mr K picked up a couple of burgers with chips because we'd been reading about it on here. Nice big serve of chips, which is a bit unusual here, but as for the burger - I couldn't say that I didn't like it, but we won't be going back. Either the bun was too big or the patty to small, and to me it seemed a little bit on the dry side. Also, if there were any seasoning or herbs in there they were too subtle for me to taste. It was OK, but not great. The salad, onions and bacon were very nice though.

(I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, the only burgers I particularly like apart from home made ones are Burger King. Most people think that makes me a pleb, so be it. I really do like them).

JC also mentioned another pet peeve of mine, that has a solution that couldn't be more simple. That is them not busing the tables in a timely manner, it should be within two minutes, five would be OK, if they were real busy, but if you haven't seen dirty plates sit for an hour; you haven't been here long. Yet, another reason not to patronize the pretentious, it seems oftentimes that they can't deliver, at any price.

The guy must be doing something right to stir up so much conversation about his little burger place.

that certainly is one possibility, the other is that he does so much wrong that people feel compelled to share their negative experience with this little burger place. The common thread from the majority of the posters is "I won't be back"

The guy must be doing something right to stir up so much conversation about his little burger place.

that certainly is one possibility, the other is that he does so much wrong that people feel compelled to share their negative experience with this little burger place. The common thread from the majority of the posters is "I won't be back"

wrong again, as usual, a common occurrence for you it seems, ONE poster says they wont be back, most of the comments, except every single one of yours, are actually quite positive.

You must be on a different forum then. Seems most people here think it's OK and the place has good service. There is agreement that the buns are too big for the patty though.

Don't forget that the ThaiVisa forum population is miniscule compared to the general population. The vast majority have never even heard of this place.

Don't forget that the ThaiVisa forum population is miniscule compared to the general population. The vast majority have never even heard of this place.

What are you talkinng about; Goldman Sachs has it on their Top 10 Buy List.

I was feeling lazy last night so Mr K picked up a couple of burgers with chips because we'd been reading about it on here. Nice big serve of chips, which is a bit unusual here, but as for the burger - I couldn't say that I didn't like it, but we won't be going back. Either the bun was too big or the patty to small, and to me it seemed a little bit on the dry side. Also, if there were any seasoning or herbs in there they were too subtle for me to taste. It was OK, but not great. The salad, onions and bacon were very nice though.

(I'm not a connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination, the only burgers I particularly like apart from home made ones are Burger King. Most people think that makes me a pleb, so be it. I really do like them).

I totally agree with this. I went once and won't go back, not because the food is bad, but because, in my opinion, there are much better alternatives around in the same price range. If the owner had started out with a very competitive price to build up a customer base I think the business would have been more successful than it appears to be.

Also bringing the post back over and over again is somewhat off putting. I don't think the customer base is going to grow from the exposure it is getting here.

I totally agree with this. I went once and won't go back, not because the food is bad, but because, in my opinion, there are much better alternatives around in the same price range. If the owner had started out with a very competitive price to build up a customer base I think the business would have been more successful than it appears to be.

Also bringing the post back over and over again is somewhat off putting. I don't think the customer base is going to grow from the exposure it is getting here.

The owner did do that. The price before, when you could only order a burger "set" (a set with the burger, fries, and something to drink), was quite low, though I don't remember exactly what. It's the only reason I know how great the fries at Classic are, as I for health reason never order fries otherwise.

Anyway, yesterday I for the first time tried a burger at Duke's, and even though I don't like Duke's much and have not been there for many years, I have to admit the burger was pretty damn good. The beef was comparable to that of the Aussie Boys burger, and considerably better than Classic. A bit more expensive, but it included a salad too, and taking into account Duke's is a regular restaurant, I was surprised the price difference was not bigger.

Unfortunately, Duke's is far away from my regular route.

I rode by a little while ago, looked like a tourist bus must have stopped there. Never seen it so crowded.

Rob 13 is exactly right. I seems to be on a Chinese tour bus itinerary filled with tourists seeking "the American route 66 experience" I couldn't get near the place, there had to be 40 Chinese tourists waiting in line. I'm glad that they have found their niche.

I'll give it a few months to calm down and will certainly try them again

I rode by a little while ago, looked like a tourist bus must have stopped there. Never seen it so crowded.

Rob 13 is exactly right. I seems to be on a Chinese tour bus itinerary filled with tourists seeking "the American route 66 experience" I couldn't get near the place, there had to be 40 Chinese tourists waiting in line. I'm glad that they have found their niche.

Except they were all white people from the ones I could see. Doubt the Chinese are big burger eaters. Going to Thailand for a Route 66 experience would be kinda like going to Niagara Falls to experience the Sahara. You're on a roll. saai.gif

Except they were all white people from the ones I could see. Doubt the Chinese are big burger eaters. Going to Thailand for a Route 66 experience would be kinda like going to Niagara Falls to experience the Sahara. You're on a roll. saai.gif

It's funny but when I first lived in China the only "burger" of any description was to be found in McD's and those McD's were generally permanently empty. Then Burger King opened... and the queues for a BK were often all the way down the street. Burger King really took off in Shenzhen and I think it's fair to say the Chinese will eat burgers if they like them. I doubt, however, that they're lining the streets for an obscure burger joint in Chiang Mai - part of the "cachet" of Western food in China is the "aspirational branding" of it. That's why Starbucks thrives there even though it is more expensive than anywhere in the rest of the region (including Hong Kong) and why KFC (after a massive entry into China) is now struggling because KFC is now perceived as "ordinary" and thus not worth the extra pennies any more.

I'm not suggesting that we saw the same tour bus and who cares if they were white or black. Both our points were that the lines were so long that the wait would have been counter productive for both of us to wait for a burger

I'm not suggesting that we saw the same tour bus and who cares if they were white or black. Both our points were that the lines were so long that the wait would have been counter productive for both of us to wait for a burger

In the past few days you've gone from Classic Burger never has any customers when you ride by, to there being too many customers. The owner needs to sell his methods on how to turn a dying business in to an overwhelming success. Good on him.

Edited by Rob13

I went today

1. Arrived around 430, no customers

2. They now have glass around the front (perhaps mentioned already) So its closed in and cool inside

3. Fries were fantastic as always

4. Burger was good, perhaps a bit over cooked but I didnt state how i wanted it but still good

5. Toppings fresh

6. Service good, with lots of smiles

Still a good place to grab a burger in my opinion, busy or not:)

(but it should be 100% beef not mixed with pork if they are going to call it a hamburger esp. if it's a Western run place, unless noted on menu)

Wouldn't 100% beef be a beefburger and one mixed with pork a hamburger?

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant

I went today

2. They now have glass around the front (perhaps mentioned already) So its closed in and cool inside

4. Burger was good, perhaps a bit over cooked but I didnt state how i wanted it but still good

5. Toppings fresh

There are two situations where many people feel awkward being alone. One is walking into a cinema and saying ticket for one please. The other is walking into a restaurant and eating alone. You play with your phone or scrutinise the menu . You can almost guarantee that eating in Classic burgers will be a solitary experience as you and many others have pointed out

I went today

5. Toppings fresh

There are two situations where many people feel awkward being alone. One is walking into a cinema and saying ticket for one please. The other is walking into a restaurant and eating alone. You play with your phone or scrutinise the menu . You can almost guarantee that eating in Classic burgers will be a solitary experience as you and many others have pointed out

So the long lines are gone and Classic is back to having no customers? The boom and bust cycle runs fast down there.

I went today

5. Toppings fresh

So the long lines are gone and Classic is back to having no customers? The boom and bust cycle runs fast down there.

yes it does--Rob13—Classic burger's got a parking problem. I went once when they first opened and wasn't impressed. Better places around with easier access . I don't know about there breakfast though.

Many restaurants have "boom or bust cycle"s.

Often refereed to as the lunch rush, the slow period in the afternoon and the dinner rush.

Also there are busier and slower days such as Monday night is generally notoriously slow in the industry.

There's alot of walking traffic down there. The Thai restaurant on the corner's been there for years and maintains a good business. Plenty of motorbike bike parking, but yeah the tourist buses and cars will have to go somewhere else. If Classic gets through the first year and keeps improving he'll be all right.