improved beef at Classic Burger (moonmuang soi 9)

Awk

There's alot of walking traffic down there. The Thai restaurant on the corner's been there for years and maintains a good business. Plenty of motorbike bike parking, but yeah the tourist buses and cars will have to go somewhere else. If Classic gets through the first year and keeps improving he'll be all right.

You have lots of professional (sounding) advice, how much experience do you have in the restaurants business?

Even if it's as much as you (like to) sound are you privey to the financial situation of Classic Burgers? For instance is he capitalized with a year's running expenses?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's alot of walking traffic down there. The Thai restaurant on the corner's been there for years and maintains a good business. Plenty of motorbike bike parking, but yeah the tourist buses and cars will have to go somewhere else. If Classic gets through the first year and keeps improving he'll be all right.

You have lots of professional (sounding) advice, how much experience do you have in the restaurants business?

Even if it's as much as you (like to) sound are you privey to the financial situation of Classic Burgers? For instance is he capitalized with a year's running expenses?

JC this a quote from your experience at classic. it makes no difference if he a million Euro budget. If continue to run the restaurant like the following it will not succeed

We ate in the mess, trash and dirty dishes of the last three parties who ate in the same area, our simple order got messed up as I mentioned already and the staff didn't really understand the basics of being a waiter. For instance she was just standing there or taking pics with her phone after I asked for our drinks a few times. Nothing serious that ruined the meal and the ladies were quite pleasant.

I'm not in food service. I started two businesses and both times the first year involved a huge learning curve. The second year was much smoother. Seems to be the experience of other small biz starters, at least alot of the ones I've talked to. I don't know the Classic burger guy or anything about his money situation. Judging from what I've seen of his burger stand since Christmas he seems to be clued into learning from his mistakes and looks to me like he's trying to a make good go of it.

The real question is what is cmtg's interest in a business that he clearly doesn't like yet maintains an obsessive interest in what goes on there and how many customers are eating there at any given moment. Sounds like a bitter competitor to me.

I don't have any financial interest in it, but I glance up that soi at least once a week, and it's almost always empty, so is BB Burger, and so is Rider's Corner...talk about an uninviting place....but they have 4 TA Stars....but almost never as many customers. I studied business for four years at Uni, and have been self employed for decades...so it is interesting to see what works and what doesn't. It's also a good laugh to compare the hype here with the reality of a failing business. The Game's touts certainly set the brass standard for alienating, berating, attacking their potential customers here...seen some of the same stuff on TA...if you make any criticism, at all, it's because you're poor. Those places come and go like broken wind.

Rob thanks for your straight forward response, I'll admit I was playing a bit due to some of our banter.

But since it's been brought up I'd like to breach another topic of contention for me.

You wrote "he's new to the restaurant business and seems to be figuring things out" and other similar things.

This is not directed at you nor Classic Burgers but does anyone else not like that a business has to learn how to provide the service it's willing to charge you for.

In essence the customer is paying for their professional training.

I went to culinary school, payed out of my own pocket, and then worked in many restaurants before I opened a restaurant and charged people for the pleasure of eating my food.

I for one hate it when they make mistakes because they are not able, skilled, experienced etc. enough, to give me what I'm paying for.

But this doesn't seem to stop so many businesses here, not only food establishments. Some even expect you to pay for their mistakes unabashedly.

I don't have any financial interest in it, but I glance up that soi at least once a week, and it's almost always empty, so is BB Burger, and so is Rider's Corner...talk about an uninviting place....but they have 4 TA Stars....but almost never as many customers. I studied business for four years at Uni, and have been self employed for decades...so it is interesting to see what works and what doesn't. It's also a good laugh to compare the hype here with the reality of a failing business. The Game's touts certainly set the brass standard for alienating, berating, attacking their potential customers here...seen some of the same stuff on TA...if you make any criticism, at all, it's because you're poor. Those places come and go like broken wind.

Clearly JC is not the only member who objects to being a human guinea pig. This observation was from KKK pointed out the following about classic koenkenkowboy—"had to learn how to make hamburgers? not really a good sign

I'd like to nominate Classic burgers on moonmuang #9. They had some growing pains but I think that they will make it. A good burger at a reasonable price. cmtg1

This is what you posted about Classic on another thread a few days ago!

I cannot decide if you are unwell or just a <deleted>, I suspect probably both!

This is not directed at you nor Classic Burgers but does anyone else not like that a business has to learn how to provide the service it's willing to charge you for.

Depends on the service and how much they're a charging. A $5 burger isn't a big deal. A hiso restaurant with $50 a plate dinners I would mind. I've had plenty of bad meals and other services by people who claim to have years of experience.

Rob thanks for your straight forward response, I'll admit I was playing a bit due to some of our banter.

But since it's been brought up I'd like to breach another topic of contention for me.

You wrote "he's new to the restaurant business and seems to be figuring things out" and other similar things.

I went to culinary school, payed out of my own pocket, and then worked in many restaurants before I opened a restaurant and charged people for the pleasure of eating my food.

I for one hate it when they make mistakes because they are not able, skilled, experienced etc. enough, to give me what I'm paying for.

But this doesn't seem to stop so many businesses here, not only food establishments. Some even expect you to pay for their mistakes unabashedly.

I think you had some bad luck when you went to Classic, Junglechef. I've eaten there dozens of times now, and never experienced any of the problems you had (dirty dishes and wrong order). I think your "wrong order" experience was handled very badly, and if it happened to me on my first visit, I'd not want to come back either, but as it is, after 20-30 visits, I've yet to have a bad experience, so I think you had bad luck. Hopefully the owner is on TV and reads about your experience so it will not happen again.

I don't think the owner is aiming for the gourmet market though. It's a simple, well done burger and I don't feel I'm paying for anyones learning or mistakes.

I hope he figures out a way to improve the beef though, as after eating at Duke's, I have to say, the beef there is miles ahead of Classic. The rest of the burger is important too, and friendly staff is also nice, but the beef needs improving. If Duke's can sell a burger set in a shopping mall at a price I think is not overwhelmingly more expensive than Classic, there's got'a be a way for the Classic guy to improve his beef too.

As a prime example on how to handle a "wrong order", I'll share my experience at the Aussie boys burger (when they were still here). Ordered a double beef burger, but got only a single beef burger. The friendly girl working there apologised and asked if I wanted one more single beef burger? I said "yes, thank you". Shortly after that, while I was eating the first, single, beef burger, she came back and apologised again: they were out of beef. Could she give me a chicken burger instead, for free? "Yes, thank you". That's what I call great service.

Depends on the service and how much they're a charging. A $5 burger isn't a big deal. A hiso restaurant with $50 a plate dinners I would mind. I've had plenty of bad meals and other services by people who claim to have years of experience.

Of corse my expectations are in line with how much I'm paying.

But to quote myself " provide the service it's willing to charge you for."

So they set the price and if I agree to it by ordering the dish I expect it to be what they claim which included assuming they know what it is and how to make it.

I went to a very popular restaurant with the TV crowd and ordered American style hot dogs. They came out deep fried in a puddle of oil soaking up in the bun.

Yeah it was a simple relatively cheap hot dog but they should know to steam them so it was totally disgusting thus unacceptable.

I saw a sign over by Think Park advertising "American Burger: 320 THB." It's a shame that there is a whole sector over there catering to fishing for Chinese newbies. It's a big turn-off for the whole area. Like going into a pharmacy and they are charging 4x what you would pay on Suthep. 320 for a burger...that's what they charge on the DC-NYC Amtrack Train, and they are a legalized monopoly.

That's the other thing, in Thailand I have pretty low expectations for western food. The Thai guy down the road from me has a little restaurant and says he was a chef in Germany for 10 years and makes great western breakfast. I expected it to be pretty good.It was 2 over cooked fried eggs a half cooked thai hot dog and some white toast with instant coffee. I'd probably been better off had it been cooked by an American who was learning about running a breakfast shop than the Thai guy with 10 years experience. Pretty much in the end it comes down to how close your order comes to your expectations and less about the experience of the service provider. Alot of the American style food I get here I wouldn't put up with back home.

you were burning some bad karma with that deep fried hot dog biggrin.png

That's the other thing, in Thailand I have pretty low expectations for western food. The Thai guy down the road from me has a little restaurant and says he was a chef in Germany for 10 years and makes great western breakfast. I expected it to be pretty good.It was 2 overarrow-10x10.png cooked fried eggs a half cooked thai hot dog and some white toast with instant coffee. I'd probably been better off had it been cooked by an American who was learning about running a breakfast shop than the Thai guy with 10 years experience. Pretty much in the end it comes down to how close your order comes to your expectations and less about the experience of the service provider. Alot of the American style food I get here I wouldn't put up with back home.

EXACTLY!!

If you have read a bunch of my posts about my restaurant experiences you'd know what I always say I have bad restaurant karma!!

That's the other thing, in Thailand I have pretty low expectations for western food. The Thai guy down the road from me has a little restaurant and says he was a chef in Germany for 10 years and makes great western breakfast. I expected it to be pretty good.It was 2 over cooked fried eggs a half cooked thai hot dog and some white toast with instant coffee. I'd probably been better off had it been cooked by an American who was learning about running a breakfast shop than the Thai guy with 10 years experience. Pretty much in the end it comes down to how close your order comes to your expectations and less about the experience of the service provider. Alot of the American style food I get here I wouldn't put up with back home.

the hot dog and egg crisis has been going on longer than the warm beer epidemic. Both are clear examples of their tendency to refuse to learn from the farang, but instead, continually shoot themselves in the feet. I wonder if the white bread thing is actually part of their racist culture of white is always better.

That attitude promotes and perpetuates mediocrity. A $5 burger should be served and cooked with the same amount of attention to detail as a $50 lobster

I think you had some bad luck when you went to Classic, Junglechef. I've eaten there dozens of times now, and never experienced any of the problems you had (dirty dishes and wrong order). I think your "wrong order" experience was handled very badly, and if it happened to me on my first visit, I'd not want to come back either, but as it is, after 20-30 visits, I've yet to have a bad experience, so I think you had bad luck. Hopefully the owner is on TV and reads about your experience so it will not happen again.

I don't think the owner is aiming for the gourmet market though. It's a simple, well done burger and I don't feel I'm paying for anyones learning or mistakes.

I hope he figures out a way to improve the beef though, as after eating at Duke's, I have to say, the beef there is miles ahead of Classic. The rest of the burger is important too, and friendly staff is also nice, but the beef needs improving. If Duke's can sell a burger set in a shopping mall at a price I think is not overwhelmingly more expensive than Classic, there's got'a be a way for the Classic guy to improve his beef too.

As a prime example on how to handle a "wrong order", I'll share my experience at the Aussie boys burger (when they were still here). Ordered a double beef burger, but got only a single beef burger. The friendly girl working there apologised and asked if I wanted one more single beef burger? I said "yes, thank you". Shortly after that, while I was eating the first, single, beef burger, she came back and apologised again: they were out of beef. Could she give me a chicken burger instead, for free? "Yes, thank you". That's what I call great service.

Now i know why you've been back 30 times. you've been eating for free. The sign says if that's not the best burger you've ever eaten "it's free" clearly you have demonstrated that it is NOT the best burger you've ever eaten. clever--you've been getting free burgers all the time

awk—The beef (talking about duke’s) was comparable to that of the Aussie Boys burger, and considerably better than Classic.

awk— I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average

awk—A tastier burger is the Aussie Boys burger. It is flavourful with a strong, rather than mild taste.

I went to classic today because i wanted to be alone. I didn't want stranger saying "where are you from" or "do you live here" when i got there it looked like one of those fish nibbling shops where you put your feet in a glass aquarium and fish peck at your feet. It was completely wrapped in glass and I couldn't figure how to get in. ODD

I went to classic today because i wanted to be alone. I didn't want stranger saying "where are you from" or "do you live here" when i got there it looked like one of those fish nibbling shops where you put your feet in a glass aquarium and fish peck at your feet. It was completely wrapped in glass and I couldn't figure how to get in. ODD

They locked the door and everybody hid behind the counter til you left. Can't blame them.

Perhaps you were dis-oriented because your feet were not nibbled recently ? It's a very difficult habit to kick, I'm told.

attachicon.gifpost-254845-0-48928200-1459668402_thumb.jpgattachicon.gifpost-254845-0-48928200-1459668402_thumb.jpg

The now was taken at 12:15pm today. The other was taken months ago. The difference in the two photos if your not observant is the pigeon starved to death RIP

You seem a bit obsessed with that place. If you didn't like the burger that you had there, why not just move on?

attachicon.gifpost-254845-0-48928200-1459668402_thumb.jpgattachicon.gifpost-254845-0-48928200-1459668402_thumb.jpg

The now was taken at 12:15pm today. The other was taken months ago. The difference in the two photos if your not observant is the pigeon starved to death RIP

I went there the other day around 1pm to 2pm, 7 customers inside and 1 take away.

Perhaps they know your coming and hide.

Air con is certainly nice this time of year.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

so everybody who praised the quality and taste of classics burgers in the past not admits that it was rubbish compared to the new improved burger of today.

Naah, you got it all wrong again. I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average. Now the beef is better than average, I'd even say it's quite good as far as burger beef goes, and the rest of the burger is great, as before.

Great burger beef? Aussie Boys was pretty damn good, but last I looked at their fb page, they seemed to have relocated to Bangkok. The rest of the Aussie Boys burger was pretty meeh imo though, and the bun was horribly sweet, putting me off from eating there more than only now and then.

Both Classic and Aussie boys have very nice and friendly staff though, which is always nice. I think Aussie Boys and Classic are the only two places in Thailand that compensated me much more than I would ever have expected for a minor mistake (Aussie Boys) or unexpected delay (Classic). In fact, I think they might be the only two places in Thailand that have compensated me whatsoever, so agree with the other poster, the Classic Burger guy has choosen his staff well.

I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average

Neither Aussie Boys nor Classic Burger can hold a candle to the "mango burger" the short-lived White Plate cafe served though. If ever there was a prime example of why great quality food at a decent price is not enough to make a restaurant survive, White Plate was it.

"I thought everything about the Classic burger was great before, but the beef was only average" I've quoted you awk

. How could everything about classic be GREAT if the beef was only average. The beef is the burger, not the pickle not the salt JUST the beef.

It's clear that you and one or two others have a financial interest in classic burgers. Another poster said that he would have loved to have stopped for burger but the lines were too long. Come on that's rubbish. I pass there a number of times a day and it's like a deserted building.

Seems you have financial interest to keep customers away. 5 posts and they're all directed at bashing Classic Burgers.

It seems there are a couple of folks on here that have more interest in bringing axes than ground beef.

Stopped by today for a bacon cheese, all good.thumbsup.gif

AHHHH, but had you added beef to your cheese and bacon sandwich, you would be singing a very different tune.You were wise to omit the beef Rob According to the majority of the contributors to this topic, the beef has always been the weakest link.

Archived