Sadao Border Crossing

Back and forth for what reason ?

If you are seeking a visa exempt entry you may have a problem depending on what your passport already contains.

Reports in the past have suggested the problem comes with the lack of something in your passport (i.e. a banknote). I have no personal recent experience.

I just did a run to Penang for a visa. At the airport in Hat Yai, I ran into someone else who did the same, but he crossed at Sadao, and I crossed at Pedang Besar. We both had new Thai Tourist-Visas from Penang in our passports. He was asked to show 20,000 Baht in cash at Sadao and had to taxi back into Malaysia and pull cash from two cards to obtain the requisite sum to show. I was not asked to show anything but my passport with visa at Pedang Besar.

I would think they would accept travelers checks, a much safer alternative for that much, which is what I carry (10,000 denominated in Thai Baht and the rest in USD) to meet this possible demand, but I have not been asked to "show money," so have not tested this.

• Like 1

I just did a run to Penang for a visa. At the airport in Hat Yai, I ran into someone else who did the same, but he crossed at Sadao, and I crossed at Pedang Besar. We both had new Thai Tourist-Visas from Penang in our passports. He was asked to show 20,000 Baht in cash at Sadao and had to taxi back into Malaysia and pull cash from two cards to obtain the requisite sum to show. I was not asked to show anything but my passport with visa at Pedang Besar.

I would think they would accept travelers checks, a much safer alternative for that much, which is what I carry (10,000 denominated in Thai Baht and the rest in USD) to meet this possible demand, but I have not been asked to "show money," so have not tested this.

------------------------------------------

I have done 60 day tourist visas from Penang before.

When you go up to apply for a visa you will see a sign on the wall at Penang which advises you in English that you should have the sum of 20,000 Baht in Cash on your person when entering into Thailand by a land border from Malaysia in case you are asked to show that amount.

That sign has been there for over a year for all applying for a visa to see.

------------------------------------------

I have done 60 day tourist visas from Penang before.

When you go up to apply for a visa you will see a sign on the wall at Penang which advises you in English that you should have the sum of 20,000 Baht in Cash on your person when entering into Thailand by a land border from Malaysia in case you are asked to show that amount.

That sign has been there for over a year for all applying for a visa to see.

I used an agent, so never went to the Thai Consulate. I am aware of the need for 20K from reading this forum. As per the fellow I met at the airport, this may be requested at Sadao.

Perhaps on a Visa Exempt this is also requested at Pedang Besar, but was not asked of me with a valid Tourist Visa at that entry-point.

I am not sure how many visa-exempts, and/or if they are back-to-back, and/or how long a person is out before returning, might cause a problem at either of these entry-points. But it has been reported that if a person has 6 or more exempts, the IO's screen suggests additional questions / screening for entry.

Edited by JackThompson

At Sadao you need to place 2RM in your passport when handing over your passport to IO not sure if you need to do same at Padang Besar

How much in Thai baht?

20 baht

I use the visa exempt entry so I am not sure if they expect it with a visa

If you worry, there is a group of guys at the malaysian side, just after the immigration, you will see them in thai registered cars and bikes, talk to them, they ferry myanmars, cambodians, laotians etc across at a price and guarantee a smooth passage. They can also arrange smooth travel to malaysia as well. Most of the bar girls in malaysia use them.

What country's passport did you and your friend use?

Pedang besar shouldnt ask for any cash regardless of visa type. No minimum stay time (can do immediate Out-In). Use this border if in doubt.

Sadao i've never been asked for any cash and neither my friend. But we were using non-imm Os. I have heard that for visa-exempt stamps, they were not allowing same-day Out-In. But should be no problem for non-imm visa (no money, no Out-In minimum wait time).

Tourist Visa seems to be hit/miss. Sometimes they ask for 20k or something is expected in passport. I dont know how often this or what triggers it (specific passports, too many recent entries or tourist visas, etc)

visa exempt entry, be prepared with 20k and possibility of having to stay overnight in Malay side (no immediate out-in)

• Like 1

visa exempt entry, be prepared with 20k and possibility of having to stay overnight in Malay side (no immediate out-in)

Where on Malay side can you stay?

Has anyone here recently been made to stay overnight on visa exempt?

Where on Malay side can you stay?

Has anyone here recently been made to stay overnight on visa exempt?

ChangLun is the closest city with any public transportation, motel, etc onwards. About 20km away with only a gas station, rest stop (with money exchanger) and police checkpoint in between. You have to use a taxi, which is appx 20RM.

You could attempt the Out-In and see what happens. You have nothing to lose really.