Rolling Stones surprise super fan at retrospective gallery

webfact

Rolling Stones surprise super fan at retrospective gallery
BY ERIC RENNER BROWN

LONDON: -- One longtime Rolling Stones fan got some serious satisfaction recently when the legendary British rock ‘n’ roll band surprised him on his visit to their new career-spanning exhibit. New Yorker Alex Emanuel won a trip to London to explore Exhibitionism, the retrospective held at the Saatchi Gallery, but was caught unaware when Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, and Ronnie Wood crept up behind him.

“It’s going to sound silly, but for a moment I thought I was a member of the Rolling Stones,” Emanuel said after the encounter. “Alright, I suppose I can die now. It’s not every day you get to meet your idols.” Emanuel also described an encounter with Richards any Stones fan would dream of: “I said to Keith, ‘I’m a bass player — let’s jam?’ And Keith said, in his rasping voice, ‘Well, alright, let’s jam.’ I really think Keith was ready to play!”

Full story: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/16/rolling-stones-super-fan-retrospective-gallery

-- EW 2016-05-18

Goddamit, I can't think of anything more cool that that! What an experience.

I saw the original Stones (with Brian Jones) in 1964 at Royal Albert Hall in London. In fact they recorded their first live album that night. Oct 31st. Since I've followed them through the years attending at least 40 live concerts around the globe.

I won a free all expense trip to see them preform in their first concert in Moscow, "The Rock N Roll Summit" in 1999. Back stage pass, after concert private party....the whole works. All set to leave Seattle, sitting at the airport when I was informed the concert was cancelled as the Ruskies bailed out on letting them play. What a huge bummer for me.

Maybe someday I'll get lucky.

I saw the original Stones (with Brian Jones) in 1964 at Royal Albert Hall in London. In fact they recorded their first live album that night. Oct 31st. Since I've followed them through the years attending at least 40 live concerts around the globe.

I won a free all expense trip to see them preform in their first concert in Moscow, "The Rock N Roll Summit" in 1999. Back stage pass, after concert private party....the whole works. All set to leave Seattle, sitting at the airport when I was informed the concert was cancelled as the Ruskies bailed out on letting them play. What a huge bummer for me.

Well, their Bangkok concert was cancelled, too; seemed the band members weren't all in the same place, and nor were their instruments.

I just watched a docu about Keith. I always liked him, but seeing him up close like that, interacting, jamming, joking, ....get me liking him even more. Did you know he wrote "Let's Spend the Night Together" on piano? Here's another tidbit: Keith was alone in a backstage room and saw Chuck Berry's guitar sitting on the floor in an open case. Keith bent over to touch the neck. Just then, the door opened. Chuck saw Keith handling his guitar and slapped Keith hard in the face.

I had tickets. Band arrived but plane with all their equipment broke down in India - so concert cancelled and they played tourist. Got to see them a couple of years ago in Abu Dhabi however

Well, their Bangkok concert was cancelled, too; seemed the band members weren't all in the same place, and nor were their instruments.