Great Breakfast Buffet that's not in a hotel

NancyL

I was thinking about updating this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/825995-best-hotel-breakfast-buffet/?hl=%2Bbreakfast+%2Bbuffet, but realized it was about breakfast buffets in hotels. So, I decided "Naw, I'll start a new thread" about a great breakfast buffet that happens twice a month.

It's at River Market Restaurant on the first and third Friday morning of the month, from 9:30 - 11:30 am. Next breakfast buffet is this Friday, 20th May. Remember, River Market is run by the same people who own Dukes, so it's really more a Duke's breakfast buffet that just happens to be at River Market restaurant because that restaurant can accomodate a large group, with plenty of space for a huge selection of food.

There's a buffet line with prepared food, a cook-to-order station for eggs and waffles, ham carvery station, fruit and salads on ice (love the potato salad), a section with breads and pastries (the cinnamon rolls taste like they came from a certain well-known U.S. chain that makes 'em fresh in airports) plus Thai food. You really can turn this into either breakfast or an early lunch.

Cost is just 300 baht with a 50 baht discount for members of the CM Expats Club.

If you haven't been to this breakfast in a while, it's worth it to come back. The quality and selection of the food has increased bigly (as a certain U.S. politician would say) and the CEC has a special committee to welcome and chat with newcomers. Or if you just want to come to eat the food and be left alone, hey -- it's a big restaurant and no one will bother you if you sit in the south wing. There's free wifi and you can post your comments here on ThaiVisa while you go thru the buffet line multiple times.

Check out these photos of recent gatherings: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/breakfast-club-river-market-10/

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/breakfast-club-at-river-market-9/

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/breakfast-club-at-river-market-8/

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nancy. But if 'in a hotel' is ok, then you won't need to travel all the way to Riverside. Simply trot over, 6.30 am, to the Orchid Hotel, next to KSK shopping mall. And 40 baht less than Riverside. Unlimited coffee and food of many kinds.

And frankly, who in her right mind could do justice to an 'all you can eat' buffet in this climate. No wonder the Asians are so lean. Eating and digesting takes too much effort under current heat conditions.

Nancy. But if 'in a hotel' is ok, then you won't need to travel all the way to Riverside. Simply trot over, 6.30 am, to the Orchid Hotel, next to KSK shopping mall. And 40 baht less than Riverside. Unlimited coffee and food of many kinds.

I'll have to check that out. Incidentally, the buffet I'm talking about isn't at Riverside restaurant -- it's at River Market Restaurant. on the west side of the Ping River, at the foot of the Iron Bridge. http://therivermarket.com/

And frankly, who in her right mind could do justice to an 'all you can eat' buffet in this climate. No wonder the Asians are so lean. Eating and digesting takes too much effort under current heat conditions.

John? Nancy was talking about a great breakfast buffet.. John, stop on by, see some of the people you love..

Looks good ,but i like to eat breakfast in peace and quiet .Not with a load of loud mouth Americans slurping at the trough .The Chinese can be far worse and maybe i can find that famous video .Take a minute or two . https://youtu.be/xOV670_5tyY

I agree with some points. I eat a light breakfast and I like to read a newspaper or listen to the radio while doing so. I like to take my time and start the day slowly. Personally, I can't think of anything worse than having to get ready, make my way across town in the heat of the morning and then stuff myself to the gills, whilst as you say listen to a load of people babbling on, mainly about their stocks and shares.

Nothing at all against the venue for an evening meal and certainly nothing against Dave's food. I just can't understand the necessity for over gorging yourself at breakfast, among a crowd of noisy people in the heat.

Well, here are a couple of people who haven't been to the breakfast recently!

Admittedly, this isn't something I'd want to do every day (get up early and come across town), but it's a nice treat twice a month to come to this lovely setting where there's a nice breeze and view from the river and an excellent selection of food. You don't have to stuff yourself. Many lighter offerings.

As for the conversation -- well, it's a big place and some people come with their Kindle or other device (like an old fashion book) and sit in a quiet section and just enjoy their own company, the food and the view. Up-to-you as they say.

But, personally, I enjoy seeing old friends and especially meeting new people. It's so refreshing to meet people new to Chiang Mai and see the place thru their eyes. Makes you appreciate it all over again.

I have been going for the last 8 months

I have helped newcomers and have helped introduce others if they have a need fro information

I have read all of the above posts

I find most of the people i meet very friendly

There the occasional loud people

I have never seen people like the Chinese eating like Pigs

So instead of whining

Go give it a try

from what i have been told

The new engagement of the Expats Club do things different to the previous man that was running it

i find it good as a outing

To meet friends and other people

i cycle to the venue it is close but that does not bother me this is my choice

Some people arrive in A/c vehicles that is there choice

Had an enjoyable breakfast there this morning. I think Jobin might for some have a point about eating in the heat. But he fails to understand this is only a twice a month 12 months of the year event.

I don't blame any one for not going to the riverside for breakfast. But the twice a month River Market is in a class of it's own.

As for is the food like the Dukes? No it is mainly breakfast food.

As for the man who runs it. That would be the same from start to finish. Dave and he has learned on the way as the one today was far and away better than his first one which was a good one any how.

I am upset Don't know how many times uptheos has been there but I have been there about 75% of the time and not got any discussion about the stock market.

All in all a great western breakfast with some Thai dishes in a great setting. It has no program just come in and sit in a chair that is not being used and meet some in my experience very nice people.

You really don't need an excuse not to come it is just being offered as a nice alternative to other ideas.

Edited by northernjohn

The attraction is the food. It is brunch in the American style, to be sure. Choices are too many to eat. I can't or don't eat big brunches but happily there is a 'light offering' that is not simply breads, not at all; it has a lower price which I've forgotten, sorry. Best potato salad I've ever tasted. Coffee's good - none of your 3-in-1 junk. It's all good.

Nancy's suggestion (one with which I agree, as usual) is that those interested in food for itself might come to see how good this is. Sure, it's not for me in my 'Cheap Charlie' uniform, but it is certainly a treat, and a bargain considering its merits, assuming that one enjoys this sort of brunch. I was a'feered of the rains today and missed it, and my home cooking is v. good - but Duke's is better. Much, actually. Consider it - Duke's for b'fast. Yum, sez I.

Edited by CMX

Had an enjoyable breakfast there this morning. I think Jobin might for some have a point about eating in the heat. But he fails to understand this is only a twice a month 12 months of the year event.

I don't blame any one for not going to the riverside for breakfast. But the twice a month River Market is in a class of it's own.

As for the man who runs it. That would be the same from start to finish. Dave and he has learned on the way as the one today was far and away better than his first one which was a good one any how.

I am upset Don't know how many times uptheos has been there but I have been there about 75% of the time and not got any discussion about the stock market.

All in all a great western breakfast with some Thai dishes in a great setting. It has no program just come in and sit in a chair that is not being used and meet some in my experience very nice people.

You really don't need an excuse not to come it is just being offered as a nice alternative to other ideas.

I have been there twice in the evening and liked it very much.

Buffet breakfast's are just not my scene, that's all, nothing more.

As for the man who runs it.I would expect he is refering to the Ex CEC guru the revered Alan Hall who left Chiang Mai a couple of years ago.

I have been there twice in the evening and liked it very much.

Buffet breakfast's are just not my scene, that's all, nothing more.

I have no problem with your post except for the

"listen to a load of people babbling on, mainly about their stocks and shares."

As I said I have been there about 75% of the time and never heard a word about it. I agree about stuffing one's self. I personally only go to the Ex Pat twice a month. I stay away from the others. If it was not for the quality and type of food being offered I wouldn't go there either.

As I said earlier it is just an alternative that is not offered in any other place that I am aware of.

Lots and lots of buffet's but none of them that heavily weighted towards the western foods and the social side just come in and sit with people you don't know and just share information or chit chat.

Besides that I need a break from cereal. They no longer carry the brand I like. It was Organic not that it makes a difference but I really liked it.sad.png

Edited by northernjohn

Here are the photos from today. One hundred people enjoying some great food and conversation. A lovely morning:

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/social-pics/cec-breakfast-club-river-market-7/

Definitely for the social animals .''and whats your name ?and how long you have been in C.M ? What and how much pension you have ? What medical conditions do you have ?How many heart by -passes ? You can cook at home or you have home help ? How is the Alzheimer s coming along ....lol

I have nothing against my fallow Americans, nothing against slurpers, but, my inner-Orang can smell even one person talking about stocks in a room, and I will spare you by not telling you what that smells like.

cheers, ~o:37

I never hear anyone talking about stocks at the breakfasts, except maybe chicken stock when talking about food.

I wonder why people have to make up stories that are not true as an excuse. I suspect some of them are afraid of people and don't want others to know that so they make up an excuse when they don't even have to reply. Kind of like the guy who rides around on a horse pushing immigration agents.whistling.gif

Tonight i went to an Aussie owned bar in my suburb about 10 km out of town ..Live music was on .There were equal amounts of Thai and farang .Everyone had a good time as far as i could see .No talk about hospitals ,pensions ,i have more than you , Just people from i guess at least 8 nationalities enjoying the music and fun .

I never hear anyone talking about stocks at the breakfasts, except maybe chicken stock when talking about food.

You miss the point completely my dear .

I also missed the point, I am perplexed why you would make multiple posts about an event you have no interest in attending and yet you are certain of the the conversational subjects and can draw so much info from a few photos. i wonder at your motives , you come across as a sad case needing to trash others to bolster your own self esteem. I do not like buffets and do not need to be in an expat club but the photos show people enjoying themselves, I like that.

And there were people of at least eight nationalities there enjoying themselves. Let me see what can I remember, what countries were represented? It was a fun day, esp. since it was a holiday and we saw people who aren't able to come often and some brought their kids & grandkids who had the day off from school (that was fun watching them run around on the lawn near the river). There were people from Thailand, Singapore, India, Burma, Indonesia, Philippines, Australia (many Aussies!), New Zealand, England, Scotland, Wales (we tried to encourage one guy to join the Expat Chorus because he claimed all Welch men can sing very well), Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, Brussels, France, Sweden, some other European countries I'm sorry I'm leaving out, Canada and the U.S. Contrary to what people who have never been there think, it is not a majority American event and, if anything, more of the new joiners are from Australia not the U.S.

have just spent the last few days, in, c/mai centre assisting a couple of good cobbers (first timers in c/mai) around c/mai

we had several nosebags(lunch and dinner) at the KHUALEK cafe and restaurant, directly opposite the RIVER MARKET

my cobbers could,nt help but noticing and commenting that patronage at the KHUALEK was numerous fold then the R.M.( both sittings)

perhaps the b/f buffett, from looking at the nice pics,could be a extra source of revenue to make up from the lunchtime,evening time attendance on a daily basis with so many C.E.C. farungs in town these days??

also E/S, had time, to take off his blinkers, plus put down his lge heinken(95 baht) and noticed a building presently under construction ,right next to R/M, looks as if further competition is coming in that area on the river

great news for the everyday punter(thai/farung) if it is along the same business model as the KHUALEKbiggrin.png

a top of a morning to allsmile.png

And there were people of at least eight nationalities there enjoying themselves. Let me see what can I remember, what countries were represented? It was a fun day, esp. since it was a holiday and we saw people who aren't able to come often and some brought their kids & grandkids who had the day off from school (that was fun watching them run around on the lawn near the river). There were people from Thailand, Singapore, India, Burma, Indonesia, Philippines, Australia (many Aussies!), New Zealand, England, Scotland, Wales (we tried to encourage one guy to join the Expat Chorus because he claimed all Welch men can sing very well), Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, Brussels, France, Sweden, some other European countries I'm sorry I'm leaving out, Canada and the U.S. Contrary to what people who have never been there think, it is not a majority American event and, if anything, more of the new joiners are from Australia not the U.S.

I was in until I read Scotland.

I was in until I read Scotland.

Hah, it's a big place and easy to avoid the one or two people from Scotland.

As the person who started the hotel thread and being a Brit, the most important menu item for me is proper english bacon and secondly hash browns. i prefer the shredded crispy American hash brown home style hash browns as opposed to the McDonalds style. Good coffee and tea is an obvious must.

If its a buffet or a large breakfast that meet this criteria with good bread, not the sweet stuff. i prefer granary though will accept white if aforementioned items are good then thats enough to float my boat. Does the buffet the OP recommended meet this criteria or else can other members recommend alternatives. I apologise for the slight digression.