My First Experience With New Bangkok Airport….

fffarang

My first experience with New Bangkok Airport….

was a negative one. I landed on Air Asia coming from Xiamen at 11.20 pm. On November 4. The taxiing of the plane and the bus transfer from the plane where much longer (about 3 times) then at Don Muang which is logical as the new airport is much bigger. There are several different spellings of the airport name (Suvanapoom, Suwannapum, Suwanabumi, and so on) which is typical for Thai language transcriptions but somehow one would expect they could handle this situation better.

The drop off area for passengers coming in by bus was very unwelcoming. It was a grey looking concrete hall with no decoration at all. There was an escalator leading up to the arrival hall. The first thing to be noted there was a confusing signage. For instance there was a sign saying “Immigration” pointing to the left and another sign saying “Immigration” pointing to the right. There were other instances of unclear guidance by the signage when I walked towards immigration.

The immigration area looked appealing and there were no queues. There is a new rule for the arrival visa waiver that says one can only stay 90 days in 6 months. The immigration officer used a green text marker to mark the entry stamp he put into my passport and wrote down a “running number”, in my case a “1” next to it. I thought that text marker procedure was ridiculous and gave a bad impression on the organization of Thai immigration. About two years ago they had introduced new immigration cards which were even bigger then the older ones and need to be folded. They are full of spelling and grammar errors as well. There is enough best practice examples around (Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia) that could have been used as orientation.

The luggage belts are right behind the immigration counters. The belts are not working well. Luggage is falling of the belts in the corners. There is no mechanism to detect if luggage is already on the belt so arriving pieces are falling on top of other pieces already on the belt.

The worst aspect of all was the mess right after the customs when one enters the public area (meeting point) where hotel representatives and guides are waiting for arriving guests. It was exactly as previous posts I have read on discussion boards. The area is designed far too small and therefore totally cramped. There are 5 or 6 such exits doors but only one was staffed by customs officers so everybody had to use that door.

I found there were more illegal taxi touts and also more aggressive official airport limousine touts lingering around that at the old airport. As usual I took the lift up to the departure level to catch a cab there. The area outside (curbside) was dirty and full of rubbish. The airport authority clearly failed to take the opening of the New Airport as a new start to cope with the security guard corruption problem. That is very disappointing. They still have “bad” taxi drivers allowed to park their empty cars there by paying money to the guards which they later try to get back by overcharging the passengers. As usual I wait for a taxi that actually brings in passengers as this gives the highest chance to get a “good” guy. The guards approach the taxi drives to ask for 20 Baht even if they do not stop to wait for new passengers. I normally prevent the tipping process by blaming the guard of corruption and starting to take pictures. In this particular case the taxi driver took the 20 Baht and threw it under his car for the guard to pick up after the taxi left.

Interesting, fffarang.

I'll be having my first experience with the airport this Saturday night. I'll be arriving on a Thai flight from Taipei at around 11 pm, I hope that will take care of the crowd problem.

We will only be bringing carry-on luggage, so that should also save a lot of trouble.

Around that time, we'll probably miss the bus into town but a cab should do. We're staying in the Thong Lor area (Suk Soi 50-something).

I am more worried about the trip back from the city to the airport on Monday afternoon though. Don't know what the traffic will be like. The airport should be a doozy after that.

Thank you, Kamui!

Now all I need is Dumbski to tell me whom he blames for whatever he considers wrong with the airport: the German architect, whom I might call the designer, or the Italian and Thai, who he says were the builders. I am genuinely interested in his wise and expert opinion.

---------------

Maestro

Thai TV channel 5 had a report on the new airport last night. They were interviewing an official of some sort.

I didn’t fully understand what was being said but the wife translated they were having big problems with theft from baggage due to criminal activity.

I thought this was strange as I haven’t seen problems with theft mentioned on the forum.

Has anyone had problems?

hmm, i just got here from chicago and everything seemed fine...the plane landed at 1030pm as planned...once i got off the plane, there was a guy holding a sign telling me which baggage belt i had to go to, which was belt number 7...i kept walking and got to the immigration area, which was fairly crowded, but the lines went fast...took around 3-4 minutes to get through...went over to belt number 7 and waited around 10 minutes to get my bags...went through the green customs hall...went up to the 4th floor and got a taxi to sukhumvit...

i was only bothered by one tout...and i'm not even sure if he was a tout...he seemed pretty nice..he smiled and asked if i needed a taxi, so i said no and he smiled and that was that...

it is true that the area after the customs is fairly small and crowded, but i had two huge rolling luggages and i got through fine...

ive been through don muang before...and i don't see much of a difference in how long it took from the plane landing to me getting in a taxi...

oh, by the way...a watch was stolen from my check in bag...im not sure if it was stolen at the thai airport or before that...it was probably the guys over in chicago...ah well, i guess that was my fault for not taking it on my carry on =/

Edited by krazyboi

Just popped Suvanapoom Cherry !!!

What a peice of s**T

I think this project had so much potential, but i dont have the connection to know wxactly what went wrong.

Just out right porly designed and built. I knew driving up to the airport not to be amazed by the outside (which driving up at night looks quite cool). Once inside saw the real picture. Bad lighting, bad choice of colour, bad room temp (everywhere) either too hot or too cold.

And I knew that once at immigration line up to depart, seeing the worn red duck tape for the cue line at immigration, this airport was opened way too fast. And only recofirmed it when I past immigration and saw little or no shops. And was absoulutely amazed that every washroom i went in had only 2 urinals. LOL,,, or maybe it was 4,,,,, lol

Just popped Suvanapoom Cherry !!!

What a peice of s**T

I think this project had so much potential, but i dont have the connection to know wxactly what went wrong.

It s far from BKK but if you are going to the airport every friday 5pm like me from the center... there is less traffic jam...

It's farer, so more expensive by Taxi

there are mot enough toilets

The domestic waiting hall is boring if yoy don't have any lounge membership card as there is no coffee or anything after the security check and before there is only one coffe shop.

I miss the "smoking Bar" at the domestic waiting hall from Don Muang :o ...

...this airport was opened way too fast. And only recofirmed it when I past immigration and saw little or no shops.

Now that's strange. Most complaints about the shops after immigration is that there are too many and thus make it hard to navigate. I think you're the first person I've seen who said there are too few shops.

The domestic waiting hall is boring if yoy don't have any lounge membership card as there is no coffee or anything after the security check and before there is only one coffe shop.

Which "one" coffee shop are you referring to? There is a Starbucks on Level 3, with a Black Canyon right next to it, and several other cafes as well on that level. There's also a restaurant upstairs on Level 5 that I'm sure you could get coffee at, though heard lots of negative comments about it. On opening day the food/drink choices were certainly limited, but many new places have opened up since then and it's actually not bad now. After you go through the security point, I agree you have very limited options, so best to get/do everything you need before the security point.

Which "one" coffee shop are you referring to? There is a Starbucks on Level 3, with a Black Canyon right next to it, and several other cafes as well on that level. There's also a restaurant upstairs on Level 5 that I'm sure you could get coffee at, though heard lots of negative comments about it. On opening day the food/drink choices were certainly limited, but many new places have opened up since then and it's actually not bad now. After you go through the security point, I agree you have very limited options, so best to get/do everything you need before the security point.

Do you mean the 3rd floor in the domestic area or in the international area. Then i didn't know that there was a Starbucks and a black canyon...

I ment the coffe (don't remember the name) when you go to the A and B aile in the domestic area. There is only one at the point where you have to split either on the left side for A aisle or right for B aisle. It's this green coffe entrance... Except this one i never saw any other.

I just came back from Singapore last week and the taxi lines were stupid. If the Thais can't even organise the taxis then forget the rest. I don't think us "farang" should be so patient with the Thai way and we should make some noise. I suggested to my bf that we go upstairs (departure), he said the taxis would not pick us up. Has anybody flagged down taxis upstairs?

I think I will park my car at Suvarnabhumi in future the extra parking fee will be stress free. Any car parking break ins there?

Ok, a bit of confusion there on my part as to what you meant. There's now a security checkpoint at the end of the domestic check-in row C, which was what I thought you meant by the security checkpoint. Then there is also a security check at the entrance to the waiting area at the gate. You are right that there's only one option for coffee at the intersection of concourses A and B. I'm referring to the public area before you even go through the initial checkpoint. Outside the departure hall (level 4) and down one floor to level 3 is where there's a good selection of coffee shops, etc. Also Level 1 has a Thai food court, and Level 5 has a restaurant. Definitely visit one of these places before you enter the first security checkpoint to get everything you need to eat/drink and forget about buying anything at the place at the intersection of concourses A and B.

Edited by Soju

I just came back from Singapore last week and the taxi lines were stupid. If the Thais can't even organise the taxis then forget the rest. I don't think us "farang" should be so patient with the Thai way and we should make some noise. I suggested to my bf that we go upstairs (departure), he said the taxis would not pick us up. Has anybody flagged down taxis upstairs?

I think I will park my car at Suvarnabhumi in future the extra parking fee will be stress free. Any car parking break ins there?

Ok, so what was stupid about the taxis lines? Too long or something else? Did you realize that there are three separate queues on level 1? If one of them is too long, look down at the other queues and see if they're any shorter. I've used BKK six times so far this month, including hitting the airport at quite busy times, and haven't seen any case where there wasn't at least one of the queue with 10 or fewer people.

I've tried to get a taxi on the departure area and was no problem. I was a little nervous though cause it was late aroud 1am, but then didn't have any problems...

Also tried the taxi line on the arrival area and didn't have to wait that long. However, we got a weird taxi driver who wouldn't let us talk (no conversation between me and my bf)in the cab. I asked him if we were talking too loud (which I know we weren't) but he said it bothers him.... It was quite a long drive from airport to Sukhumvit, so my bf and I couldn't help but talk to each other (since we haven't seen each other for almost 5months) but very softly... but it still bothered the driver so I tried to ask him again in my (best) Thai politely [even though i was pissed off already] how could I possible bother him?!? But he just refuse to explain and when we got off the cab, I paid him and didn't ask for the change but he got out of the cab and gave me the change looking so annoyed at me :o .... just an unpleasant taxi ride... :D

Ok, a bit of confusion there on my part as to what you meant. There's now a security checkpoint at the end of the domestic check-in row C, which was what I thought you meant by the security checkpoint. Then there is also a security check at the entrance to the waiting area at the gate. You are right that there's only one option for coffee at the intersection of concourses A and B. I'm referring to the public area before you even go through the initial checkpoint. Outside the departure hall (level 4) and down one floor to level 3 is where there's a good selection of coffee shops, etc. Also Level 1 has a Thai food court, and Level 5 has a restaurant. Definitely visit one of these places before you enter the first security checkpoint to get everything you need to eat/drink and forget about buying anything at the place at the intersection of concourses A and B.

No problem for the misunderstanding... i misuderstood myself too :o

yeah, deninitly the restaurant, coffe area before all the security check are great. Nothing to say about it.

I am traveling a lot, 4 times a month international and I have nothing to say about the international hall (duty free and so on, except for the toilets). And i am traveling every week end to Hat Yai... That means low cost... Air Aisa as the last plane is later than TG and better for me for the working hours... the problem is that air asia is a mystery. You never know if it is late 20 min or 2 hours... so better pass the 1st security check point... and than when you have a 2 hour delay and you know it just before departure and you are already in the waiting room..... AAARGGGGHH... if you don't have a computer with full battery or MP3 player or something. You can get quickly borred. especially if you are a smoker and there is no smoking room and the security doesn't let you back...

That's what i ment. :D

Edited by Amir

I've tried to get a taxi on the departure area and was no problem. I was a little nervous though cause it was late aroud 1am, but then didn't have any problems...

Also tried the taxi line on the arrival area and didn't have to wait that long. However, we got a weird taxi driver who wouldn't let us talk (no conversation between me and my bf)in the cab. I asked him if we were talking too loud (which I know we weren't) but he said it bothers him.... It was quite a long drive from airport to Sukhumvit, so my bf and I couldn't help but talk to each other (since we haven't seen each other for almost 5months) but very softly... but it still bothered the driver so I tried to ask him again in my (best) Thai politely [even though i was pissed off already] how could I possible bother him?!? But he just refuse to explain and when we got off the cab, I paid him and didn't ask for the change but he got out of the cab and gave me the change looking so annoyed at me :o .... just an unpleasant taxi ride... :D

Wot on earth??? First time I've heard of that one.

Was he meditating?

And i am traveling every week end to Hat Yai... That means low cost... Air Aisa

Oh, I pity you. I think I'd go crazy trying to do Air Asia every week. And the last flight of the day at that, which is usually the latest. I've read that the company actually likes their flights to be late and everyone trapped at the gate with no place to go so that everyone is there and ready to board once the plane arrives so that their planes can spend as little time as possible parked at the airports. It saves them money but is a real inconvenience to the passengers.

And i am traveling every week end to Hat Yai... That means low cost... Air Aisa

Oh, I pity you. I think I'd go crazy trying to do Air Asia every week. And the last flight of the day at that, which is usually the latest. I've read that the company actually likes their flights to be late and everyone trapped at the gate with no place to go so that everyone is there and ready to board once the plane arrives so that their planes can spend as little time as possible parked at the airports. It saves them money but is a real inconvenience to the passengers.

hehe... i thought they were waiting to fill the planes. I once took board on an Air Asia flight with only 42 passenger insight.

I tried to count the numbers of delay hours since the friday 13 january (since this time i'am flying every week-end to Hat Yai). I have over 53 hours delay. i stoped to count. Can you immagine... around 4 days in the waiting room. I asked once at their counter to print out all the flights i booked this year and send it to air asia...you can immagine the answer when i asked a little conpensation: "our politic is clear when you receive your booking confirmation per email. NO REFUND! they answered me that the delay is due to security reasons... Can you immagine, if there is every friday a security problem!!! and i don't mention the sundays on the way back... Take off planed a 9pm but usually starts 2 times out of 3 at 10.30pm.

Any way, i am kind of patient guy. But i only miss the cold beer i had during delays at the smocking bar at Don Muang domestic waiting hall.

And in 45 minutes, i will be taking the taxi... again... to the airport. Anyway, tomorrow i will be swimming at Songkhla beach so who cares... :o

i flew in and out international dont know about demestic, everything was fine .

Just one concern outside to get a taxi when busy you need a lot of patience but thats the same in any aiport .

Here is my first experience of the new airport in Thailand

1)air conditioning, never seen such a design, no ducting and hot, poor distribution

2)Signage for flights too small for the elderly to see the flight schedules, letters too small

3)internet too expensive 100 baht per 20 mins

4)restaurants at departure very expensive a simple meal for 1 person about 350 baht, air port prices expected to be expensive but it is too much for Thai or international std, later found another location at Mez between departure and arrival cheaper.

5)Taxis for departure a breeze when I arrived is OK

6)Seems like not enough shops and also cannot seem to find things

7)No Public address system not sure if there are any

8)Maybe too many "tourist" alot of thai people come to admire the airport so crowded.

9)Public telephones seems the one I tried to use not working although very high tech.

10)Toilet exist however must look for them

11)revolving doors ? how to push in the trolleys, not sure why this is designed for Winter coutries for this airport, doors will be damaged in no time

Generally can use this air port , however there is room for improvement for teething problems, possible too many people coming in to admire the new airport, I think this airport will improve in a few months time , hopefully.

Edited by terry74

Just landed domestic coming from Phitsanoluk on a TG 737

Gate B2

short walk to the domestic crossroad where I found one toilet with LONG queues. Went inside and there are only 2 toilets (one big enough for handicaped and 2 urinals !

Proceeded to walk the LONG way to baggage retreival where there is another toilet also queues (not as bad as the first one)

The toilet at the domestic crossroad serves both arrival and departure passengers.

Bags came after a 15 minutes wait

No complais onece they incfrease the number of toilets for general passengers.

Thai TV channel 5 had a report on the new airport last night. They were interviewing an official of some sort.

I didn’t fully understand what was being said but the wife translated they were having big problems with theft from baggage due to criminal activity.

I thought this was strange as I haven’t seen problems with theft mentioned on the forum.

Has anyone had problems?

Funny you should say that; but in 20 years of overseas travel my combination lock on my suitcase (I always set 000) was tampered with upon arrival at the new airport. Of course it could have been tampered with anywhere en-route, but I was surprised.

Also I heard a story in a bar (maybe not true); that a recent arrival had had pieces of clothing??? missing from an otherwise normal looking suitcase.

Wot on earth??? First time I've heard of that one.

Was he meditating?

A taxi driver that used to be a librarian....

post-9005-1163205416.gif

Just back from my fourth Suwannapoom visit.......too arsed to write it all here just now, but suffice to say it aint any better than the first......details in the am edition.

This was a Bangkok Air flight from Trat. Plane met by bus....this must now be par for the course for PG flights?....transfer to domestic arrivals takes about 15 minutes, then a short walk to baggage collection through a hugely uninspired tomb-like concourse. Flight baggage details already on the carousel sign and bags off within about 15 minutes. Then through to the arrivals and attempted to get to door 8 where my driver was waiting, (domestic arrives at 2-3), so I now know that arrangement was not a good one. Could not get through inside as the traffic of people too congested outside International arrivals, so had to go outside and then come back in at door 8. (It's hot and it's very very scruffy...and a big ashtray.)

All in all the experience is best described as "adequate", and that's pretty applicable to the whole airport. A shame really when we know how much it all cost.

The departure experience previously from domestic was also adequate. Check in at PG speedy, the long walk to the lounge and gate OK, even finding a lavatory on the way. New PG domestic lounge was designed by someone on E, but perfectly adequate. The departure hall for domestic is quite depressing...grey and prison-like. No monitors with flight details are working - not hooked up - but at least the priorities are right and the TVs working... and the "security" guard can watch the tiresome Thai channels. Very congested and difficult to escape. Signage to the gates (1B1, 1B2, 1B3....weird numbering) is in a hand written selotape affixed A4 sheets.

So my conclusion is that things work by and large, and that's all anyone who writes here seems to want. The design has a number of important shortcomings (arrivals congestion), it's inconvenient (having to go in and out to get through the main concourse), but hey it's Thailand, and we can't expect things to work logically, or necessarily to look good. I'm getting over my huge disappointment.