advantages of residence in Thailand vs O visa ?

I don't know how to ask this question as a person in Thailand living here under a O visa has no real status. he is not even a resident. (what is an authorisation to stay in this case? a stayer or a "stayrident" ? )

so what are the advantage of a resident in Thailand versus a stayer (guys of 50 yo or more)

all I can think is a resident don't have to report every 3 months to an immigration office. is that correct?

Moved to here.

It is possible to get permanent residency but you have to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 years before you can apply for it. There are several advantages to having it other than not doing 90 day reports. One is not needing to apply for extensions of stay every year and if retired not needing to meet the financial requirements to get them.

• Like 1

and what about filing tax? do a resident need to file tax?

Anybody who stays here more than 180 days in a year is liable for taxes and is considered a resident for tax purposes. The liability is basically for income earned from working either here or abroad if the money is brought into the country .

Anybody who stays here more than 180 days in a year is liable for taxes and is considered a resident for tax purposes. The liability is basically for income earned from working either here or abroad if the money is brought into the country .
if I m correct:

resident : must report their worldwide income

"O" visa : report only money in Thailand

that's intresting, how does one get a Thai I.D. card, and where.

It is that new non-Thai ID card.. PINK.... you need the yellow book for your house (with your name and address on it), marriage certificate (in my case).

In some tee wa gun amphur muang offices, since this is new, the program is not loaded, you need to find the Right person to process you.

Once all conditions are met, processing is quick, same day service, actually minutes, and.. FREE.

if I m correct:

pit01.jpg

Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

if I m correct:

No...its all relative to the number of days in Thailand not the visa or extension your on, and the fact of the matter is even if you are in Thailand for more than 180 days p.a. and dont work here, the Thai tax man doesnt really care

I get the feeling you are very confused as regards visas, extensions and residency

1. Permanent Resident is a legal resident in Thailand, in other words has legal right of unhindered abode, in other words its their right to live in Thailand

2. Non imm O, extensions, permit temporary residence on an annual basis, they have no legal right of abode, as you need to seek annual permission to stay and at an immigration officer can decline that right

3. Residency for tax purposes can be either 1 or 2, dependent on number of days in country ie the number is 180 days p.a.

Edited by Koosdedooes

that's intresting, how does one get a Thai I.D. card, and where.

It is that new non-Thai ID card.. PINK.... you need the yellow book for your house (with your name and address on it), marriage certificate (in my case).

In some tee wa gun amphur muang offices, since this is new, the program is not loaded, you need to find the Right person to process you.

Once all conditions are met, processing is quick, same day service, actually minutes, and.. FREE.

it can't be that new. my (future) laos mother in law living here in issan since 1970-something has had a pink id card for years.

it actually entitled her for free government hospital cancer treatment - she's been in and out of khon kaen uni hospital for months now.

i very much doubt you'd get that if you are here on visa.

I am in Thailand on Non-Imm O-A. I do not work here or abroad. My income is completely from pensions. I am in country over 180 days per year. Am I subject to taxation ... whether enforced or not?

Which country are you from ?

Thailand has "double taxation" agreements with many countries so if your income arises from and is taxed in your own country it is unlikely to be subject to taxation in Thailand.

I tried to edit my post above but got an error. While I have more than 800,000THB to qualify for Non-imm O-A I only bring enough money into the country to live on. The rest stays in the USA.

Also, my pensions are private and taxed by my home country.

I am in Thailand on Non-Imm O-A. I do not work here or abroad. My income is completely from pensions. I am in country over 180 days per year. Am I subject to taxation ... whether enforced or not?

Basically only income from working is liable for taxes and that has to income earned during the current year and brought into Thailand. Pensions are not considered to be earned income.

Are you resident for tax purposes ? Yes...thats the legal stand point, could they at some time in the future make people submit at tax return in Thailand for "residents"...yes, the provsions are in law, just thqt they dont enforce them...never say never

If your drawing a pension , currently the tax man will not be interested as they will assume your taxed at source

Basically only income from working is liable for taxes and that has to income earned during the current year and brought into Thailand. Pensions are not considered to be earned income.

Not strictly true there is tax on interest for money sitting in Thai bank accounts, this is considered income as well

Not strictly true there is tax on interest for money sitting in Thai bank accounts, this is considered income as well

He was asking about the money he brings into the country. Taxes paid on interest earned can be refunded unless it is greater than 150k baht a year or more dependent upon the number of deductions allowed,

Thanks for the answers. I thought I'd better ask as often times I think Thailand is LOS... Land Of Surprises.

I did know there are plenty of reciprocal agreements between the US and various countries. Some for taxation and some for social security and the like.

I pay taxes and maintain US banks accounts and address. The only thing I am claiming by living in Thailand is an exemption from The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) by being out of the USA more than 330 days per year.

• Like 1

I pay taxes and maintain US banks accounts and address. The only thing I am claiming by living in Thailand is an exemption from The Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) by being out of the USA more than 330 days per year.

I thought the US had an overseas allowance of USD 90k, earn less than that and you dont pay tax in the US

if I m correct:

No...its all relative to the number of days in Thailand not the visa or extension your on, and the fact of the matter is even if you are in Thailand for more than 180 days p.a. and dont work here, the Thai tax man doesnt really care

I get the feeling you are very confused as regards visas, extensions and residency

1. Permanent Resident is a legal resident in Thailand, in other words has legal right of unhindered abode, in other words its their right to live in Thailand

2. Non imm O, extensions, permit temporary residence on an annual basis, they have no legal right of abode, as you need to seek annual permission to stay and at an immigration officer can decline that right

3. Residency for tax purposes can be either 1 or 2, dependent on number of days in country ie the number is 180 days p.a.

So you mean that as long as you don't spend more 180 days / year in Thailand, you are not subject to taxation from overseas income in Thailand?

I don't know much about income taxes honestly.

I live in Thailand for many years. I am not working in Thailand but in neighbor country where actually I don't pay income taxes also. I am also originally from Europe where I never paid taxes (never worked in my own country). However my incomes are paid to my Thai bank account (in USD from Singapore). I never been questioned here in Thailand. I am on Non O visa (1 year multi entries). Do I have to worry?

I thought the US had an overseas allowance of USD 90k, earn less than that and you dont pay tax in the US

Yes the foreign earnings exclusion is currently $100,500 but it does not apply to income from pensions / retirement drawn in the USA. This is taxed. If it is under your exemption limit then you can claim the tax back in your annual IRS Tax return.

So you mean that as long as you don't spend more 180 days / year in Thailand, you are not subject to taxation from overseas income in Thailand?

I don't know much about income taxes honestly.

I live in Thailand for many years. I am not working in Thailand but in neighbor country where actually I don't pay income taxes also. I am also originally from Europe where I never paid taxes (never worked in my own country). However my incomes are paid to my Thai bank account (in USD from Singapore). I never been questioned here in Thailand. I am on Non O visa (1 year multi entries). Do I have to worry?

That is correct, If not in the country for 180 days you are only liable for income earned in Thailand. Nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

for the USA, I think there is no way to avoid paying or filing tax.

the exclusion of 90k is only for people who file tax in another recognized country by the IRS.

you can not just say that you make money from stocks and keep it quiet because you are exempted of 90k$

what I understand is a US citizen must file his tax with thailand and then he can claim a discount with the IRS because he has already paid his money to Thailand.

if he doesn't file with Thailand, he must pay the IRS as he is not exempt of 90k.

so it will be wiser to file with Thailand as tax is lower in Thailand.

my situation is different , I am from Europe and I have no residence at all. all my income come from Europe (stocks and bonds). as I don't spend a lot of money, I say nothing. worked for years. I have no children, no wife.. my country has no jurisdiction on me. they don't own me, I m a citizen but I m not their citizen. ... they send me nothing, I don't have to file anything. total freedom.

Edited by returnofthailand