ID Card for farangs

No benefits that I know of but no doubt I will find out in the future Steven100.

Sirocco I just took my yellow Tabien Baan which they had done for me a couple of weeks previous.

JaiMaai I live near Bang Saphan Noi in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Apologies Lopburi3, what I meant was that the Deputy Governor wanted to make sure I was still living here permanently.

Ubonjoe, I was unsure whether to post the image or not which is why I masked the last numbers to prevent identity theft. Thanks anyway for your decision. I do not know how long they have been about for and I believe they had been waiting for the go-ahead to be able to issue as required.

• Like 1

Unless the card has somehow recorded the latest "Admitted Until" date stamped in your passport, I hardly see how it would be considered by the BIB and others as acceptable proof of ID in lieu of your passport.

And, in the unlikely event that it does record this date, you would, presumably, then need to trot along to your amphur for a fresh card after returning from each trip to (1) "Farangland" and (2) your local immigration office for an extension of stay.

Edited by OJAS

Unless the card has somehow recorded the latest "Admitted Until" date stamped in your passport, I hardly see how it would be considered by the BIB and others as acceptable proof of ID in lieu of your passport.

And, in the unlikely event that it does record this date, you would, presumably, then need to trot along to your amphur for a fresh card after returning from each trip to (1) "Farangland" and (2) your local immigration office for an extension of stay.

No, this date has not gone onto the card. Gives the same perks, maybe more, as having a Thai driving Licence I would have thought. It is an extra to the passport as such.

worrab, what colour is your ID card?

There is a copy of the ID card for Permanent Residents, ie the holders of an immigrant visa, shown here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/590057-Thai-(Non-Thai)-Id-Card-For-Permanent-Residents#entry6168381. I wonder if you were given something similar.

post-21260-0-47591500-1456476250_thumb.p

Edited by Maestro
fixed link
  • Like 2

Very interesting topic.

I was - as others - assuming that the pink card will only be issued to PR holders (citizen ID starting with 8).

It would be quite useful to have a card that connects the yellow house book to a photo ID.

Q: is there are reference on the card to the passport upon which the yellow book or pink card was issued?

The problems with yellow house book are: missing photo and no reference to your original name/passport ID.

So far I was lucky that it was accepted at the transport office (DLT) and at the revenue office (where they filed me just under my "Thai name") whilst my bank only files me under my original name.

Good that the cheque for tax reimburse was accepted.

yellow house book: of course connected through the citizen ID.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Well, I hold a Permanent Resident Certificate (initially blue, now white booklet) and admission stamps remain empty, i.e. without expiry.

Above included that I had to be entered onto the blue house registration within 14 days of having been granted the PR status; I do not know what the yellow house registration book is all about.

My ID number starts with "8" but I kept (purposely) my born nationality, i.e. I am not a Thai citizen and I shall not become a Thai citizen. That means that a PR holder's ID number seems to start with "8" - as shown on driving licenses.

Irrespective of all, an "alien" living here has - in most cases - a driver's license which is more than enough to identify yourself with the authorities, banks and officials.

any benefits come with the card ?

I consider my Passport as my official ID.

I, like yourself, consider my Passport to be my ID and used to carry a copy of it with me, leaving the original in a safe place at home. However, having read recently that the police/army have stopped farangs, demanding to see their original Passports, in both Pattaya and Chiang Mai with everywhere else on notice, it would seem to me that having an ID card would be beneficial if it allowed me the security of not having to carry my valued original Passport with me at all times. Edited by mankondang
  • Like 2

I have removed the image of your ID card. Although in Thai it contains a lot of personal info. Plataea edit it and and post again.

The ID card has been available for some time now but not all Amphoes will do them.

I think the Moderator has defined a lot here. If they are supposed to be issued then they should be. The fact that some Amphoe's wont directly implies they are acting on their own rules not the countries rules.

Edited by gandalf12
  • Like 2

I have removed the image of your ID card. Although in Thai it contains a lot of personal info. Plataea edit it and and post again.

The ID card has been available for some time now but not all Amphoes will do them.

I think the Moderator has defined a lot here. If they are supposed to be issued then they should be. The fact that some Amphoe's wont directly implies they are acting on their own rules not the countries rules.

I believe, from what I can understand, that the Amphoes have been waiting for authorisation from above to be allowed to issue these cards. This seems to have only very recently happened.

Edited by worrab

Amazing eh? I'm less than 20 klicks away from worrab, in the neighboring amphur. Here, they have no clue about anything relating to yellow tabien bahn or anything else related to farang, despite the fact that we do have a growing numbers of resident expatriates, and definitely more so than in Bang Saphan Noi.

Shit, 20 years ago, South Africa had better government relations for expats and better infrastructure than this banana republic has now....

• Like 1

If I can can get an government ID card and leave my passport in the safe, I'll be a happy camper. So the next step is the Yellow Tabien Baan. I just wonder how many bills that will require in the brown envelope for the local Amphur to issue that. After all, we had our house here for over 10 years, and been married for over 18.... and most of my wife's family is just down the road from us...

• Like 1

Here is a picture of my ID card with all personal details obscured.

KuhnBENQ, there is no link between your passport and this card.

Maestro, the rear of the card is the same as you have shown.

I am of the opinion that I was given the chance to get this card and have absolutely nothing to lose by having it and maybe something to gain in the future. Who knows?

thumbsup.gif Indeed, first time I see this pink card for a foreigner that does not have permanent residence (ID starting with digit "6").

And as the OP already disclosed, issued in Amphoe Bang Saphan Noi (geocode 7705), Prachuap Khiri Khan province.

Q:

Thai ID cards show the name in Thai script (original in this case) AND in roman script.

Does the pink card show your name in Thai AND roman script (original in this case)?

I am afraid not which limits its use (similar like yellow house book).

Edited by KhunBENQ