TOT Fibre Option.

Generalchaos

Anyone have much experience with the TOT Fibre option available this month for a pretty reasonable fee?

We just had a letter from TOT offering fibre internet. It is 20Mb/ 10Mb for 700 Baht per month, plus it looks like installation and a 4 port wifi router for only 299 Baht.

I currently have TOT 10Mb /512Kb ADSL for 590 Baht + 100 per month that includes the telephone. (obviously calls are extra)

My local TOT office closed down months ago so it is not easy to just go down and talk to them, so does anyone know if the fibre connection includes a landline for the telephone or is it purely internet? I notice that FTTC Broadband is still tied to copper in some ways, is that the system TOT use? Would that still allow me to use my phone.

(I don't want to pay for a telephone connection that I basically use to only receive calls - on top of the 700 Baht per month for the fibre)

I guess if only internet it would be worth buying a number for Skype.

Cheers.

Edited by Generalchaos

We have TOT FTTH.

No phone, but we were offered a router with a phone port and number. Since we both have mobiles we declined so I'm afraid I have no idea of the cost.

Cheers Crossy, I was curious as if they use FTTC it looks like fibre goes to their box and then copper comes from their box to the home. I need to dig out more info, i don't want two bills if you know what i mean.

Edit - I just looked in more detail at their flyer, it is indeed FTTH and not FTTC, so we probably need to call them and see what is available.

Cheers though!

Edited by Generalchaos

Ours is fibre right to my desk, no copper in sight smile.png

Thanks Crossy,

once the fibre is in the home can you hook up standard routers and wi fi to them?

I use a Linksys EA6700 to distribute the internet and media servers around the house.

I was hoping I could possibly do the same with fibre.

Just use the fibre router in bridge mode to do the connection and then use the Linksys to distribute everything else.

What is the router they gave you for the fibre? What was the set up like? ( I used to manufacture satellite front ends that used fibre and they were extremely sensitive and difficult to get set up correctly if not done in extremely almost clean room situations)

I just worry that maybe TOT techs might not be up to it and it will be more hassle than it is worth - A friend of mine had TOT install the satellite internet from them a few years ago and it was worse than a mobile phone used as a modem and cost a fortune.

They were totally clueless about setting up the dish and "peaking it" their equipment was junk, really basic sat level meters etc.

The router is a Forth GPO-5900W, four gigabit ports and crappy single-band WiFi.

I've taken the antennas off and disabled the WiFi, my old WRT54GL with Tomato works better run as an access point.

The Forth router seems OK apart from the WiFi. It will apparently run in bridge-mode but I've not tried it, what I have works for me.

I wasn't home when the TOT chaps did the install but the little box with the mux to single fibre to the router looks OK inside.

I do not have TOT but True FTTH router includes a phone line (and TV if bought with it) and yes it is easy to add normal wifi modem routers as access (have wifi turned off on True router) and run two old TP-Link models linked by LAN with DHCP turned off to provide good house coverage.

Cheers Crossy and Lopburi3, guess between you you have answered 99% of my questions. Thanks a lot. I will probably upgrade to the fibre. ( And yes Lopburi3, TOT are offering TV for another few baht for this package - I will probably give that a miss as the Thai TV shows are just too intellectually engrossing for me, the screeching and bitch slapping is just to much to handle, all hi brow entertainment. A bit like Likkey, something like eating broken glass washed down with burning petrol and a glass of dog urine.

I have to wait one year for tot fibre , I got a price list month ago the highest packages avalible was 50 mbit down and 20 up for 2590 a year the cheapest one for nearly 1000 have 20 mbit all information I hope I remember corectly

I have to wait one year for tot fibre , I got a price list month ago the highest packages avalible was 50 mbit down and 20 up for 2590 a year the cheapest one for nearly 1000 have 20 mbit all information I hope I remember corectly

Not going to be per year Sandy :(

By the way where have you been ... missed you ..

Cheers Crossy and Lopburi3, guess between you you have answered 99% of my questions. Thanks a lot. I will probably upgrade to the fibre. ( And yes Lopburi3, TOT are offering TV for another few baht for this package - I will probably give that a miss as the Thai TV shows are just too intellectually engrossing for me, the screeching and bitch slapping is just to much to handle, all hi brow entertainment. A bit like Likkey, something like eating broken glass washed down with burning petrol and a glass of dog urine.

I've got the 20/10 package since eight months and I'm more than happy about the speed.

Please see more than 10 MB upload speed. The attached photo shows my router, the one on the left.

The wireless is also very fast and equal to a LAN connection. I don't have the TV package and I'm also not using a phone.

Your biggest mistake would be not to say yes.

I had to pay 650 baht ( promotion price for the router that's normally about 5 K.

Can't make a mistake by signing up, I had to sign a document that I'll at least use it for one year, otherwise I'd have to pay the full price of the router.

The technicians were professional and I told them where i wanted to have my router. Four people needed three hours to connect me.

Thumbs up. thumbsup.gif

post-158336-0-50373300-1463758219_thumb.

post-158336-0-29191400-1463758309_thumb.

Edited by lostinisaan

I've got the 20/10 package since eight months and I'm more than happy about the speed.

I have the same package and the same "modem-router" since six month.

The "modem-router" is utter crap, internal network between LAN devices, seems to be disabled, so no home network.

Setting the device into "bridge-mode" didn't work, I could never get a valid public IP from the connected ASUS WRT.

However, since two-three weeks, my UPLOAD dropped down to zero at daytime. (Download still 20 Mbits)

Most websites won't open because of time-outs, and ToT doesn't seem to be able, to fix that...

02f232455814cf0f4e04805a829c3c5c.png

428bb8a6a04c7a07e6446a839c10cc65.png

Edited by Turkleton

TOT's customer service is so pathetic I'm going to give them back their modem and router after 2 months of their 20/10 fibre optic service. If the connection goes down in the middle of the day and I call customer service, all they do is log the problem and tell me someone will call back. On the 4 or 5 occasions I have had to call them, it has taken them nearly 24 hours to respond each time. For me, Internet is almost as important as running water and electricity and I simply can't live with a service where they take 24 hours to respond. On one occasion they never called back and claimed to have no record of my original complaint. The trouble is, all you can do is log your complaint again, and wait another 24 hours, so that could go on forever. Like most call centres in Thailand, the operators claim to have no supervisors if you ask to escalate the call.

Also, the router they supplied kicks everybody off the wireless network about once a week and refuses to let you reconnect unless you either reboot the router or change the wireless password. Sometimes, even this doesn't work and you just have to keep trying. They promised to replace this router about a month ago but have yet to do so.

By far the worst customer service I have experienced from a Thai ISP.

Edited by Mark123456

Before you cancel Mark, get the number of your local tech. Call him direct and if he visits give him a small amount for 'lunch', service in future will be excellent :)

after having TOT for 7yrs.we are about to kick them into touch.our internet is only on half of the day.

to change to fibre optic they want 800bht.for the cable and over a 1,000bht for fixing. go and f---- yourselves.

we already have a land line with tot,and a true tv.package,so its give true a go.

After 3B dropped it's speed every day between 15:00 - 20:00h to almost zero, we opted for the fibre from tot. That's almost e year ago now. Around 750thb. No landline included. Speed is great and always the same. With the offer also came a free tot-sim with 1gb data/month as long as you keep the contract. I use the sim as my private nr and added some talk minutes on it, but can use these day whatsapp or line for data calls for almost anyone.

Service with tot is not as good but doable once you know the phone nr of your tech from your area