UK Notary Advice for a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

I'm totally confused at the moment, so I'm hoping some members out there can help me complete my process.

I've now got my Police Certificate, Medical certificate and a 3 Month Bank statement showing sufficient funds, but I am still confused by the notary details. I've read some member's resposnes here through old comments, but I am still unclear what's really required. I really want to get my O-A visa next week, so any information from members who have gone through the UK route would be most welcome.

Firstly, I've made contact with quite a number of notaries in the Hampshire (England) area and none seem to have any experience of providing a notary for the Thai Embassy. As soon as I speak of the Thai Embassy they all mention the Foreign and Commonwealth Office apostille extra fees as if this is a requirement. Some here have said that the documents don't need to be legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office apostille. Is this true? Also, a lot of notaries I've spoken to no longer provide the red wax seal - it's just a stamp and signature. Some of the qoutes have been quite eye-watering, and some more reasonable than others.

Obviously, this is UK specific, but can anyone tell me if they have gone to the Thai Embassy in London with their copied documents stamped rather than red waxed, and found no problems. Also, can you tell me whether they were satisfied with the documents without being legalised by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office apostille, as I read elsewhere that someone had problems when the Thai London Embassy and was told: How can we be sure that's an authentic notary? How indeed? Was this just an Embassy worker having a bad day, or do they really need extra proof that the notary is authentic?

I feel I'm almost there but don't want to waste any more time getting it wrong. Can anyone help clear up my confusion?

• Like 1

Well, I'm still no clearer on the matter of whether the Notary needs authenticating beyond having my 2 documents notfied. As I pointed out in my previous post, when one applicant was questioned about the authenticity of the Notary at the London Thai Embassy he was dumbfounded. I've waded through ancient posts on this site and some here claim that that wasn't required when they went along for an O-A Visa, or it wasn't stated. I'm hoping that is still the case, but I am slightly worried I might be confronted with the same question at the Embassy.

One website says this:

In some cases, the document will require the Notary’s signature and seal to be legalised. This process means that the document signed and sealed by the Notary is submitted to and a further certificate is affixed to the document by the state in which the Notary practices; in the UK, it is the Foreign & Commonwealth Office which fulfils this role. This further certificate will be a document called an “Apostille” that is attached to your document and bears the imprint of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. This certificate confirms the authenticity of the Notary’s signature and seal and therefore their qualifications. It is attached under the terms of the Hague Convention 1961.

Now, I don't know whether this is more about sending documents abroad rather than having them processed here in the UK.

I'm also confused with what the Notary has to do. Does he copy my original documents and bind the copies, and it's these copies I take to the Thai Embassy (and I keep my original documents) OR does he bind and notify the orginal documents and it's the orginal documents that I take to the Embassy? Does anyone know?

I just want to add, I spoke with Ashtons from the link provided on the Thai Embassy website, and they charge £5 per copy. The whole process will only take 10 minutes. They're based at 90 Long Acre, Covent Garden, London having moved from Gloucester Road. They said anyone charging more than £5 a copy is breaking the law. So there you have it, ignore the Notaries who were qouting me obscene amounts of money. Go straight to Ashtons.

Thank you, ubonjoe, for advising me to click on the Solicitors link provided on the Thai website.For some strange reason I thought they would be expensive when in actual fact they're incredibly cheap. I can now get my documents notified by them and then go straight to the Thai Embassy afterwards. Brilliant!!

• Like 1

I completed both mine and my English wife's non immigration O-A retirement Visa at the Thai Embassy in London 2 years ago.

You only need to get the copies signed by a solicitor, I thought it was best to ask at the Thai embassy if they could "recommend" a solicitor and guess what they pulled out all the stops to get us to the solicitor's office and back to the front of the queue with everything completed straight away.

Obviously have a connection with the solicitors but if it means getting the Visa then so be it. Probably good experience before coming over here to live!!

Hope everything works out for you.

Thank you for your reply, guys.

I trust the Thai Embassy took you to Ashtons Solictors, the one one their website link? They have moved from the previous address which was only a couple of streets away from the Thai Embassy in Gloucester Road and are now in Convent Garden. Needless to say they told me they can turn it around in 10 minutes tops, and there's no need for extra ID as the documents themselves will suffice. But I was gobsmacked at £5 per document. Some Notary's out here in Hampshire are trying to charge £95 per document and then muddy the water with Apostilles in hope they can screw even more money out of me!!

And thanks, ketherin. I hope all goes well, too. Cheers, mate. Have a good day.

Just had mine done by richard meere, notaire in rugley, staffs. Had no problems at thai embassy. Look him up on the internet.

Did he notarise (i.e. authenticate the documents) or did he simply certify that they were true copies of the originals?

It would be interesting to know how much he charged you although If you prefer not to say, no worries.

I think the confusion arises from the fact that the Thai Embassy website says that the documents need to be 'certified' and that this can be done by either a Notary or solicitor. However, Notarisation and Certification are, I believe, completely different things. Notarisation is expensive as it requires the notary to potentially contact the document issuing organisation to authenticate it. I think the Thai Embassy are saying that the types of people who can do the certification are either a Notary Public or a Solicitor and they are not saying that the documents need to be notarised.

It seems that the real requirement here for the Thai Embassy for the O-A visa application is only for certification, therefore this can be done by a solicitor (cheap) or a notary (normally expensive). Therefore no need to use a Notary.

I agree, Roy111, it is confusing. I think I might have made the mistake in asking the Notaries to "notarize" my documents rather than "certificate" them. As you point out, these are two seperate things. And as ubonjoe also pointed out, solicitors are proving to be cheaper than going to a notary - as I just found out by talking with Ashtons Solictors.

After some confusion with the helpful thai embassy, i had my documents notarised at a cost of £250. Not a small sum but better to be safe than sorry. Already had to travel to london and stay over, i didn't fancy doing it twice. Not sure in the price difference but its all done and dusted, O A visa got and im on my way in two weeks.

After some confusion with the helpful thai embassy, i had my documents notarised at a cost of £250. Not a small sum but better to be safe than sorry. Already had to travel to london and stay over, i didn't fancy doing it twice. Not sure in the price difference but its all done and dusted, O A visa got and im on my way in two weeks.

£ 250 ?

Ouch !

Anyway pleased you have your visa smile.png

Pleased you have your visa. One more area of slight confusion for me that you may be able to help with.

What exactly are they looking for in the letter they require from your bank? i.e. from their website: 'In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.'

If I ask my bank for a statement, i just get the statement no letter - what should this letter say?

Also what period does it need to cover and how recent does it need to be?

Any help appreciated - thanks

Pleased you have your visa. One more area of slight confusion for me that you may be able to help with.

What exactly are they looking for in the letter they require from your bank? i.e. from their website: 'In case attached copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.'

If I ask my bank for a statement, i just get the statement no letter - what should this letter say?

Also what period does it need to cover and how recent does it need to be?

Any help appreciated - thanks

All the letter needs to confirm is that you have an account at the bank and your balance.

I read that the only reason you would need a covering letter was if your bank statement didn't have the bank's address and your address on the same piece of paper. I bank with Natwest and their statements have both on the first page as well as the desposited amount in my current account. Basically all the information they need is on one statement sheet of paper. My statement covers 3 months. I'm also taking the previous statement that covers the previous 3 months just as back-up. But my understanding is the last 3 months should suffice for the solicitor (or notary).

I read that the only reason you would need a covering letter was if your bank statement didn't have the bank's address and your address on the same piece of paper. I bank with Natwest and their statements have both on the first page as well as the desposited amount in my current account. Basically all the information they need is on one statement sheet of paper. My statement covers 3 months. I'm also taking the previous statement that covers the previous 3 months just as back-up. But my understanding is the last 3 months should suffice for the solicitor (or notary).

Possibly the letter might be required if the bank operates only online and hence the statements provided are print outs and ensures that this will prove them as being authentic.

I just want to add, I spoke with Ashtons from the link provided on the Thai Embassy website, and they charge £5 per copy. The whole process will only take 10 minutes. They're based at 90 Long Acre, Covent Garden, London having moved from Gloucester Road. They said anyone charging more than £5 a copy is breaking the law. So there you have it, ignore the Notaries who were qouting me obscene amounts of money. Go straight to Ashtons.

Thank you, ubonjoe, for advising me to click on the Solicitors link provided on the Thai website.For some strange reason I thought they would be expensive when in actual fact they're incredibly cheap. I can now get my documents notified by them and then go straight to the Thai Embassy afterwards. Brilliant!!

Good feedback Senior Player

I came back to UK a few weeks ago after 6 years in Thailand and now need to get a new Visa to go back - I have in the past considered the O-A, but since the new rules change it seemed simpler to get the multi entry tourist Visa (METV) - Simply because of the Notary and the issues involved with this process - The confusion and the wild variations in the quotes. The quotes ranged from £99 (plus other vague ancillary costs) to £390 and I was never convinced that any of the people I spoke with actually had done this before or even knew what a Visa application notary process required. The Medical and the police reports are fairly straight forward and with the costs around £100 for both meant that this is much easier to action and understand

You mention that by using Ashtons you got the costs down to £5 / document, but you don't mention how many documents they signed at that rate and hence the total costs you ended up paying?

Also it would be useful to understand what documents are actually required to get a notary signature? It was not clear to me if the bank statements required a signature from the notary since the letter from the bank meant that the bank had acted as a notary and hence probably did not require to be certified - So then you only need to have the police and medical reports then certified by the notary - what was your experience?

Edited by spambot

I'm actually still in the process of obtainig my O-A Visa, spambot. I've made my appointment at Ashtons on Tuesday morning with the intention of going straight over to the Thai Embassy afterwards. I'm still unclear myself on whether my bank statement will only need the first page with all the information on, including balance, or whether there will be a need for the history of transactions, withdrawls and paid in details found on the other A-5 pages that come with the opening page statement. My assumption is that the opening page with the balance, details, will suffice. I'm taking along extra as a back-up just in case.

I found the Police Check quite easy. I paid for the 2-day £80 option. They processed it really quickly (plus they didn't bother contacting my referee in a certain profession) so I had it within 2 days of filling out the form online and posted through my door. Very fast.

The Medical Check was another matter. I've just moved house and my new GP, who I had only registered to one week earlier, refused to do it. That was after a week of their surgery telling me they would for the sum of £30. So that was another week wasted. I happened to find a place in Harley Street in London that does these medicals quickly. Of course it cost more than £100, closer to £300, but it was done and I have my form filled out by a Harley Street doctor with a stamp on it.

As soon as I have further information on the Ashtons requirements and my morning at the Embassy, I will give you guys more feedback.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info. Senior Player - Look forward to your feedback after your Tuesday visit.

Be good if we could establish how recent the bank statement needs to be to complete the picture. Thanks again

• Like 1

Will do, Roy111. I will add that my statement is now 3 weeks old due to all the fuffing around inbetween me getting the medical and police check, thinking my medical certificate would be sorted out quickly. It also takes 8 working days to get an official bank statement sent out from my bank, so I had to factor that in aswell. So my bank statement is from the end of January to the end of April, when I first started this unholy process.

I think, and this is only my thinking and from some others that have provided me with valuable information on this site, that the important thing is that they can see that the money in the account is liquid (not invested in a savings account, etc) and is 'aged' or seasoned (has been in the account) for 2 or 3 months before application.

But I will give you my feedback from Tuesday onwards.

Well, I'm still no clearer on the matter of whether the Notary needs authenticating beyond having my 2 documents notfied. As I pointed out in my previous post, when one applicant was questioned about the authenticity of the Notary at the London Thai Embassy he was dumbfounded. I've waded through ancient posts on this site and some here claim that that wasn't required when they went along for an O-A Visa, or it wasn't stated. I'm hoping that is still the case, but I am slightly worried I might be confronted with the same question at the Embassy.

One website says this:

In some cases, the document will require the Notary’s signature and seal to be legalised. This process means that the document signed and sealed by the Notary is submitted to and a further certificate is affixed to the document by the state in which the Notary practices; in the UK, it is the Foreign & Commonwealth Office which fulfils this role. This further certificate will be a document called an “Apostille” that is attached to your document and bears the imprint of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. This certificate confirms the authenticity of the Notary’s signature and seal and therefore their qualifications. It is attached under the terms of the Hague Convention 1961.

Now, I don't know whether this is more about sending documents abroad rather than having them processed here in the UK.

I'm also confused with what the Notary has to do. Does he copy my original documents and bind the copies, and it's these copies I take to the Thai Embassy (and I keep my original documents) OR does he bind and notify the orginal documents and it's the orginal documents that I take to the Embassy? Does anyone know?

How much deposited in Thai Bank required before applying for this long stay visa? 2. Recently my SCB bank was closed to to inactivity. At attempting to re-open the bank asked for a work Visa (tourist would not suffice to open an account). If this is the case now how could anyone with a tourist Visa apply to extend to a Long Stay Visa? Must I apply for a work Visa first?

apologies slightly off topic.

How much deposited in Thai Bank required before applying for this long stay visa? 2. Recently my SCB bank was closed to to inactivity. At attempting to re-open the bank asked for a work Visa (tourist would not suffice to open an account). If this is the case now how could anyone with a tourist Visa apply to extend to a Long Stay Visa? Must I apply for a work Visa first?

apologies slightly off topic.

Long stay visas cannot be obtained in Thailand ----if you are looking for an O/A visa you must apply for it in your home country.

The O/A visa requires the equivalent of 800K Bht to be variable in bank in your home country.

Opening a bank account is a matter of persistence, a work permit is not required but you may have to visit several banks before being successful. Large bank branches are usually more helpful.

johnatong is correct - The last 3 different bank accounts that I eventually opened - Every one of the banks initially said no and wanted a work permit - I always told the person dealing with my enquiry that they were wrong about their policy and that they did accept new applications if the purpose was to deposit 800k for an application (If necessary you might be a little more convincing and quote fictitious friends that have opened an account on the same basis) - Most do not really know what the actual rules are and if you raise some doubts in their mind they (at least in my experience) seek further info from different dept and then you usually get your application accepted.

Edited by spambot

Ok, guys. Went to Ashtons Solicitors and then on to the Thai London Embassy afterwards. The cost of the certification of 3 documents was only £15. It took about 10 minutes. The solictior, who is called Muhammad, said I only needed to supply the first sheet of my A5 Natwest bank statement, not all the additional transaction pages. He said, he's never had anyone be rejected that's gone through him before. He's a really nice chap. Had a little chinwag with him before I departed. By the way, he just copied the original documents, wrote some words of clarrification on them, dated them and signed them. There was no stamp, no fancy binding. It was all simple.

Happy with my £15 charge, I then got a tube train from Covent Garden straight to Gloucester Road Underground Station and then walked to the Thai Embassy. It's a lot closer than it looks on the map. Walked down the steps into the basement, took a ticket, and was seen straight away. I thought I would be interviewed, but it's just 2 girls stood behind a bank teller glass screen that take your documents and money. She obviously has an eagle-eye because she rejected a Thai girl who was in front of me and told her to do her forms again. Anyway, I was next, though she was quick with mine. She said, I'd filled everything out properly and then asked me for my £125. (Note: I didn't fill out my outward travel details on the form, nor my monthly income or any flight details; just my bank balance and other stuff). You have to wait about 10 minutes for your receipt after her disappearing with your forms and money. The other girl called out my name and gave me my receipt with my O-A Visa details, passport number and name on it. I have to go back tomorrow to collect it between 11 and 12. Hopefully, nothing can go wrong inbetween now and tomorrow? Surely, having the receipt and the girl saying everything was ok on my forms, etc, is all good, right?. I won't count my chickens, but hopefully tomorrow I'll have my O-A Visa. I hope my feedback helps.

• Like 2

Oh, by the way. The whole process from walking through the solicitors front door and then obtaining my O-A Visa receipt from the Thai Emabssy, including traveling by tube and walking to the Embassy, took exactly 1 hour! So everything can be done in one single morning. Just make sure you get to Ashtons at around 10.00am to 10.30am and you'll be ok to pop over to the Embassy afterwards.