Lamps (light Fittings)

cyber_cynic

Anybody else having the same experience with lamps/bulbs having a very short lifespan?

I just had to replace 3 in my study - that is three lamps in one room! They all blew with 3 days of each other. 2 others in the house are also showing signs of being on their last legs. Every month we have a few that give up the ghost.

It is becoming a pricy exercise taking into accont they cost about 300 baht each.

It's probably due to line surges. Voltage & frequency rising and falling above the 50 HZ threshold. Your power utility is most likely to blame.

Yes, you are correct Boon albeit there are some inferior quality light bulbs on the market.

I jave heard that in the case of incandescent bulbs on-off cycles play a part in longivity although I have never been able to prove this but I do have night lights(6watt) in my home that are on 24/7 and several have lasted for more than two years.

Been here in the LOS for two decades and premature light bulb failure has never been an issue with me, good luck

Yes I have had the same problem with bulb failure and I have been here for ten years and lived in five houses.

I have tried every brand of bulb and thre are all bad quality.

Even the Philips bulbs seem to have time fuse that blows after 180 days.

I now just stock up on cheapo bulbs and keep replacing them.

Anybody else having the same experience with lamps/bulbs having a very short lifespan?

I just had to replace 3 in my study - that is three lamps in one room! They all blew with 3 days of each other. 2 others in the house are also showing signs of being on their last legs. Every month we have a few that give up the ghost.

It is becoming a pricy exercise taking into accont they cost about 300 baht each.

I don't know what your standards are for lighting but in the case of incandescent bulbs you can always buy a larger watt bullb than you normally buy and put a 220-120 stepdown transformer on the line and your 220 volt bulbs will last until Chat Naah(you're next life). :o

you can always buy a larger watt bullb than you normally buy and put a 220-120 stepdown transformer on the line and your 220 volt bulbs will last until Chat Naah(you're next life)

I would think that it would the current not the voltage that would cause the filament to fail. Assuming I am correct, then your theory would actually cause the bulbs to fail faster as lowering the voltage increases the current (Ohms Law I = W/V) causing more heat and therefore more expansion/contraction of the filament

But then again, I could be wrong; it has been more then a couple of years since I supposdly learned this stuff. :o

TH

you can always buy a larger watt bullb than you normally buy and put a 220-120 stepdown transformer on the line and your 220 volt bulbs will last until Chat Naah(you're next life)

I would think that it would the current not the voltage that would cause the filament to fail. Assuming I am correct, then your theory would actually cause the bulbs to fail faster as lowering the voltage increases the current (Ohms Law I = W/V) causing more heat and therefore more expansion/contraction of the filament

But then again, I could be wrong; it has been more then a couple of years since I supposdly learned this stuff. :o

TH

Maybe so but I took some 220/50Hz incandescent bulbs back to my home country in 1975 where 110/60Hz is employed and they are still alive today., My wife's Buddha house has a long string of lights on it, I was continuously replacing bulbs as she keeps these burning all day, shuts them off at night, I bought a 220/110 stepdown transformer two years ago and now it is rare when I have to replace a bulb.

We suffer the problem too. TiT.

I did live in a house in Aust that blew globes every couple of weeks, we had an earthing problem sorted out and then I got true life expectany out of the globes.

:o

It's probably due to line surges.  Voltage & frequency rising and falling above the 50 HZ threshold.  Your power utility is most likely to blame.

This probably correct - just wanted to know if it was peculiar to our building or not.

Unfortunately these are not incandescents - if only they were, they would be cheap to replace. Most of the bulbs are 11 Watt OSRAM Edison Screw fluorescents at 300 baht a pop.

he is not using incandescant is using 11 watt es fluro

He is also paying a lot for them. Most of these are now under 200 baht. And there are a lot of cheap imitation bulbs available that are useless - I would change your bulb/supply source first.

But you may have electric line crossing another live line when the wind blows giving you a lot more voltage than your normal 230v. If you have any incandescent lamps you will notice them get very bright if that is the cause.

I have more than 35 of these bulbs (not Osram) and none have failed in last year of use and some are used at least 15 hours a day.

The average incandescent bulb has a voltage capability of appoximately +20 and -100% and spike absorbtion of about 10 times it's rated voltage so voltage surges and 'brown-outs' are not a factor either.

If we were talking mili second surge (as we do with computers) it may not have much effect; but when it lasts longer than a few seconds or continues for a time it will cause early failure. And when the lamps are marginal it will not take long. Had a home where this happened and lamp life was about a week. This lasted for six months until we paid to have street wires fixed.

For brown outs you get a positive effect and lamps will last longer as they do not get as hot. As someone pointed out if you take some of these 220-240v bulbs and use on 120v they will last a very long time (but you don't get much light).

But original poster was not talking about incadencent lamps. :o