My early ownership comments on the Yamaha R3

JAFO

Good to hear. I was really wanting this or the naked MT03, but ended up with the CB300F due to the cost being substantially lower and Honda dealerships being much more common where I live.

I do believe my next bike will be an R3, assuming I don't move up to something in the 500-600 cc range.

I would highly recommend the Kawasaki Ninja 300. Having rented and ridden the Honda single cylinder 250 in northern Thailand, I thought it was an awful bike, especially as the next day I rented the Ninja 250. Why anybody would want one cylinder is beyond me. I think the Yamaha is a twin, so it should be fun. With the Ninja 300 I could leave the big boys standing at the lights....of course they caught up pretty quickly, but they just couldn't get off the line as fast. Until the 300 was introduced Kawasaki's best selling bike was the 250, and the best selling bike period. There is a reason you can find many new Hondas 250 and 300s for sale as people get disalusioned with them pretty quickly. Ride a twin and you will be converted very quickly.

Edited by Mansell
  • Like 2

I would highly recommend the Kawasaki Ninja 300. Having rented and ridden the Honda single cylinder 250 in northern Thailand, I thought it was an awful bike, especially as the next day I rented the Ninja 250. Why anybody would want one cylinder is beyond me. I think the Yamaha is a twin, so it should be fun. With the Ninja 300 I could leave the big boys standing at the lights....of course they caught up pretty quickly, but they just couldn't get off the line as fast. Until the 300 was introduced Kawasaki's best selling bike was the 250, and the best selling bike period. There is a reason you can find many new Hondas 250 and 300s for sale as people get disalusioned with them pretty quickly. Ride a twin and you will be converted very quickly.

Tell me the differences between single cylinder and 2, that isn't sound.

I rented one in chiangmai for a month last year, rode it to Mukdahan in 1 day, held up pretty good on the mountain ranges and the flats though at times i was maxing it out and wanted more power

Imo better then the ninja300 and alot better then the cbr300

Yamaha = good.

Would you buy a guitar from Honda or Kawasaki?

?

Ok then.

I have no idea what this is supposed to even mean??? Are you on the piss today to make up for the lack of alcohol yesterday?

That's it! papa "on the piss."

?

Yamaha was established in 1887 as a piano and reed organ manufacturer by Torakusu Yamaha as Nippon Gakki Company, Limited. in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka prefecture and was incorporated on October 12, 1897. The company's origins as a musical instrument manufacturer are still reflected today in the group's logo—a trio of interlocking tuning forks.

• Like 2

Yamaha = good.

?

Ok then.

I have no idea what this is supposed to even mean??? Are you on the piss today to make up for the lack of alcohol yesterday?

?

Yamaha was established in 1887 as a piano and reed organ manufacturer by Torakusu Yamaha as Nippon Gakki Company, Limited. in Hamamatsu, Shizuoka prefecture and was incorporated on October 12, 1897. The company's origins as a musical instrument manufacturer are still reflected today in the group's logo—a trio of interlocking tuning forks.

Yes they are good, currently running 22 (not all bikes) including this real one (though its a John Walker from England)thumbsup.gif

post-80695-0-01090600-1463878964_thumb.j

And yes I would buy from them if they made such thingstongue.png Be rude not too!

• Like 1

Sure.

good pipe [not original] = illegal

Nothing legal is fun when it comes to moto riding. Same with virtually any motorsport activity. It's why the aftermarket industry does so well. The manufacturers are gated by build regulations. Modifying has never stopped me and never will.

• Like 1

Sure.

good pipe [not original] = illegal

Nothing legal is fun when it comes to moto riding. Same with virtually any motorsport activity. It's why the aftermarket industry does so well. The manufacturers are gated by build regulations. Modifying has never stopped me and never will.

Indeed.

Nowadays they get hit with a double whammy -- both EU regs and US regs - one has it packed up for emissions, and the other has it packed up for noise levels.

First thing to do with a bike is get that packed-up anchor off, and get a system on that allows the engine and bike to behave as it should.

As for the R3, most high-revving twins will suffer a bit down low.

Thankfully there is a choice now in this market - want a low revving low-mid size twin, get the CBR500(471cc - 47hp), and a high revving one that will be a bit of a blast to ride, get the R3 (321cc - 43hp).

I think that they're a fantastic bike, get a full system, air-filter and fuel-controller and it would be great.

• Like 2

Yamaha = good.

?

Ok then.

?

I'm aware.. I'm a musician.. But what do guitars have to do with motorcycles?

Hey fellow riders, the intent of my post was to offer one riders comments for others considering a moto in the 300 class not to cite a debate between makers. I like the class. It's a good fit for Thailand. Like I mentioned it needs a tad bit more low end and a good pipe system to really have even more fun.

post-32399-0-34742200-1463943263_thumb.jpost-32399-0-98419700-1463943241_thumb.j

Edited by drift

I had 5 bikes in Thailand, from a 125cc up to a 1 litre, and I agree with you completely with regards to the Ninja 250. I enjoyed it more than any other bike I owned. The combination of being relatively light and nimble, as well as easier to navigate in city conditions, meant it was the best all round bike I have ridden. I actually shed a tear when I sold it. If I were to buy a new bike, I would look into the R3, but the reviews I have read about the lighter more modern Ninja 300 (compared to the 250) would mean it would be the first I would consider.

I had 5 bikes in Thailand, from a 125cc up to a 1 litre, and I agree with you completely with regards to the Ninja 250. I enjoyed it more than any other bike I owned. The combination of being relatively light and nimble, as well as easier to navigate in city conditions, meant it was the best all round bike I have ridden. I actually shed a tear when I sold it. If I were to buy a new bike, I would look into the R3, but the reviews I have read about the lighter more modern Ninja 300 (compared to the 250) would mean it would be the first I would consider.

I have a ninja 300 and it's a great bike and perfect for Thai roads. Highly recommended. Did some modifications like full system and high flow air filter. I had a Ninja 250 before that and the n300 is a much better bike ie. slipper clutch, ABS and way more low-end power. I've had both a 300 cbr and the 500 cbr sold both kept the n300 for my son. My next bike will be the R3 as I want to try something new and it's basically the same class as my son's N300. I ordered the full system exhaust and am only waiting for the new colors to be released. No hurry..thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I have a ninja 300 and it's a great bike and perfect for Thai roads. Highly recommended. Did some modifications like full system and high flow air filter. I had a Ninja 250 before that and the n300 is a much better bike ie. slipper clutch, ABS and way more low-end power. I've had both a 300 cbr and the 500 cbr sold both kept the n300 for my son. My next bike will be the R3 as I want to try something new and it's basically the same class as my son's N300. I ordered the full system exhaust and am only waiting for the new colors to be released. No hurry..thumbsup.gif

I look forward to reading your thoughts especially as you have had a N300 as well, I had an R3 and a CBX500 and much preferred the R3 if I was after a bit of fun so the N300 and R3 sound a good match, back in the UK now and I am on a Fazer 800 and though it is a complete step up from the bikes I had in Thailand I still miss the R3....

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 1