My early ownership comments on the Yamaha R3

JAFO

19 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

I'm getting more interested in this bike.

Do you happen to know how much 1st class insurance is for it?

Thanks. 

You know, that is funny. I can't answer that. When I bought it, it came with first year free 1st class insurance. Hopefully other can chime in that have. I'd like to know too. LOL!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

r3 it's suck look as sport bike. Who say another. I can bet for  traffics on click or duke 390 any time..or  diavel  in fast road an mounted.. who can ansver my bets?

Edited by ardokano
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say but I really don't think I am missing much so please don't bother elaborating.....

That is a warning post. Says, "Dont post when drunk, even more so when English is not your native language."

but he seem to think his click is faster?

10 hours ago, kaorop said:

That is a warning post. Says, "Dont post when drunk, even more so when English is not your native language."

but he seem to think his click is faster?

Not my click. Any click it's faster in traffic, hard traffic ,traffic jam etc.

10 hours ago, mark131v said:

Sorry but I have no idea what you are trying to say but I really don't think I am missing much so please don't bother elaborating.....

R3 it's ugly (the illegitimate child of Honda and Ducati), anything not capable

wants look lol sport bike. waste of money.

6 hours ago, ardokano said:

Not my click. Any click it's faster in traffic, hard traffic ,traffic jam etc.

R3 it's ugly (the illegitimate child of Honda and Ducati), anything not capable

wants look lol sport bike. waste of money.

Looks are subjective and personally I think you are very very wrong, it is a nice good fun little bike in the 300 segment but I understand you don't agree. Maybe you are fat or just believe that engine displacement is the only thing that matters so we will have to agree to disagree....

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

I use the rear brake a lot - on just about every corner, apply a little rear and it tends to stabilize the bike. Then lean in, hit the apex, off the brake, twist and go. Also helps if halfway thru the corner you see some Twit in your lane.

Interesting. I guess after racing a lot, the rear brake was something that really stop existing for me and others I rode with. It has carried on to my Wave 125 as well. I have never used the back brake on it either. LOL. I was probably spoiled with the larger bikes and the superior front braking performance.  I do not typically ever brake through a corner. I always pull in a bit just before (If tight or short angle) and accelerate around. I do however wholeheartedly agree in the apex that a rear brake would be almost required if put in a position to have to brake as yanking a handfull of front brake will make the bike stand up and we have all done that a few times and it sure makes for a butt clinching moment...especially with oncoming traffic..LOL!!! Fortunately I haven't come on any twits yet but now that I said that I will probably run into 3 or 4 on the next ride.......LOL...

Try it. Just a little drag is all you need - not enuf to slow you down, close as I can describe it is it seems to 'stretch' the bike, almost making it seem longer, which in turn makes it more stable. I realize this makes no sense, but is as close as I can to describing it. And when/if you see the Twit described above, jam that rear on and the bike will tend to oversteer, especially leaned over. You for sure do not want the understeer which will happen if the bike stands up, or you will be eating Mr. Twits grill.

• Like 2

Try it. Just a little drag is all you need - not enuf to slow you down, close as I can describe it is it seems to 'stretch' the bike, almost making it seem longer, which in turn makes it more stable. I realize this makes no sense, but is as close as I can to describing it. And when/if you see the Twit described above, jam that rear on and the bike will tend to oversteer, especially leaned over. You for sure do not want the understeer which will happen if the bike stands up, or you will be eating Mr. Twits grill. Same as if you snap the throttle closed mid-corner - bike stands up. Always best I have found to ride the bike with the throttle.

Just back home for a week at the moment and managed to get out on the R3 I bought for my Brother in law in 2015.

Bikes going well, he has put a Moto2 style end can on it and it can now wake the dead.

He has also removed the number plate/indicator light holder and this has transformed the tail section of the bike.

I think it is a very good looking bike, he is over the moon with it. Which is the main thing. Have seen quite a few on the road in the last week.

cheers 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soihok said:

Just back home for a week at the moment and managed to get out on the R3 I bought for my Brother in law in 2015.

Bikes going well, he has put a Moto2 style end can on it and it can now wake the dead.

He has also removed the number plate/indicator light holder and this has transformed the tail section of the bike.

I think it is a very good looking bike, he is over the moon with it. Which is the main thing. Have seen quite a few on the road in the last week.

cheers 

Good to hear.  I did the fender eliminator kit on mine as well.  Took off that ugly big black hunk of plastic that was hanging out the back.  I brought one from the US and it took some mods to fit the large Thai license plate. An oversight on my part.  

10 hours ago, JAFO said:

Good to hear.  I did the fender eliminator kit on mine as well.  Took off that ugly big black hunk of plastic that was hanging out the back.  I brought one from the US and it took some mods to fit the large Thai license plate. An oversight on my part.  

Cheers 

He has screwed the large Thai plate under the seat unit.

Two screws are original holes but seems the other two are improvised.

not to worry.

Back end of the bike is looking good.

5 hours ago, DLang said:

I saw this one that I thought looked fantastic:

r31.jpg

r32.jpg

Just needs an after market pipe. 

I almost bought the silver optioned moto. It almost looks "murdered" which is nice. I stuck with the Race Blue scheme.

The above bike looks very clean and as you noted with a pipe would look clean. I like the rear fender area a lot. I may need up doing something like that at some point. I just do not want to deal with the police at road stops. 

I definitely want the full Titanium exhaust system. Just haven't pulled out the CC to order one. You know its funny in that the exhaust for an R1 is about the same as for the R3 but the cost ratio between moto purchase price and exhaust system is clearly hard to justify. R3 exhaust is 25% of moto cost where as the R1 it is like 3%. However I guess we don't do these Mods looking at price, we do it for the fun and fun costs money.  

On 4/1/2017 at 11:06 AM, JAFO said:

Back on topic,

Has anybody coughed up the money to buy the Ohlin rear shock?  If so, was it worth it? I have adjusted the stock shock and it has helped but it still seems "Soft" and the rebound is not crisp. I like flipping the bike into turns and some roads up here in the mountains warrant a better shock. I still need to get the exhaust on. Just no time to order it. I heard a nice Yosh system the other day. The sound alone warrants the price LOL!!! I did splurge on a GoPro Hero 5 and am fab'ing up a few mounts. I will post up some Video's after I make a few runs. I am going to modify one front signal and make a flat mount for it. 

Short of that I went on another short ride. Clearly the sweet spot on this moto is 7k rpm. It is very crisp and has quick throttle response from there. Another note; Having rode liter bikes in the US I got used to dual discs up front with incredible braking response and stopping power. Of course I never ever use the rear brake on any moto. I have found the R3 single front disc brake is fine but when going at higher speeds and a quick stopping distance is needed it does tend to fad. When I state "Higher speeds" I am talking 100 to 130kms. I did a few test runs to see functionality. Anything under 80kms it is more than adequate. Over that speed you have to pull a lot of lever and it does not scrub off the speed that well.  On a side note at any speed the ABS works well and under hard braking the moto is very stable.  

Not on that bike, but I have on other bikes and they are much better than stock, although YSS seem to be stepping up their game with this type of upgrade. But of course as you improve the rear the front may need work.

I have to say the "never ever use the rear brake" is strange, the best braking performance on ANY bike is a mix of both. (with conditions taken in to account)

On 1/1/2560 at 10:13 PM, ardokano said:

r3 it's suck look as sport bike. Who say another. I can bet for  traffics on click or duke 390 any time..or  diavel  in fast road an mounted.. who can ansver my bets?

Call the river, then.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kaorop said:

I have to say the "never ever use the rear brake" is strange, the best braking performance on ANY bike is a mix of both. (with conditions taken in to account)

11 hours ago, DLang said:

80% front for stopping power, 20% rear for stabilizing. 

Yeah, I am not sure when I stopped using the rear break entirely. Dirt bike racing I used it all the time. Then I started racing in the 400 sport bike class and it seemed to never be needed. The bigger moto I went the less I needed a rear brake as the liter bikes have superior front brakes and the front shock dampening really just worked well. The other day I had to laugh as I was on the Wave with my wife and I told her I am going to use the rear brake so hold on LOL!!!!

• Like 2

I took moto for another burn today. I did it primarily to set up my GoPro Hero 5 with 2 different style mount configurations but same location. I used thew Go Pro suction cup kit. It held up well. My first ride was with just set up did not turn the camera on. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to fall off. I used a black shoelace to tie it to the turn signal in the event it might. I did a few 125km passes and it held on with no issues. (That was with the extended arm as noted in the picture below)

IMG-20170115-WA0004_zpspxgmvopw.jpeg

After a quick blast around in vid mode all worked just fine. I later came back and played with another bracket configuration as I felt the arm hanging out was a bit to shaky when riding. After playing with the set up I came up with a tighter set up but have not had time to go back out yet to try it(pics below)

20170115_162615_zpss3hqofla.jpg

20170115_162636_zpswpgdj4hl.jpg

I have decided I want to make a few custom mounts that are a bit more robust and are in a better location. I want one up higher on the fairing and I want to make one for the back of the bike. I am going to swing by a shop and pick up some sheet metal and make a few.

The video was OK but wasn't anything really special being this was a maiden voyage. I also was playing with some camera settings and will until I find what seems to be the best. Overall the Hero5 camera is a nice little set up. It can be used for so many things and I waited on the Hero 5 as it is water proof as it sits and no longer requires a larger bulkier case to protect it from the moisture.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of an R3 or CBR500 as a second bike.

Probably 80% around town riding, and 20% highway riding.

The extra torque of the 500 is appealing. As is the lower RPM for cruising.

The lightness of the R3 is appealing. 

I would guess that acceleration is about the same, but the R3 might feel quicker as it is revving higher. But the torque of the 500 must really pull it. 

R3 must be cheaper on gas and insurance. Tires etc.

But I would expect the 500 to have a longer life due to lower revving and less engine stress etc.

It really is a tough decision. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DLang said:

I'd be looking at comfortable cruising at 155-160kph for 1-2 hours, when on the highway. Any comments on how the R3 is at this? comfortable/uncomfortable. 

Thanks. 

Thai roads are not comfortable at any speed really.