I go with him every day for a ride and I wonder how he got his

license in Thailand. And before all the Thai apologists start

Thailand is different he can't even change gears sad.png so what

do they teach them in Thailand ? And don't you pick on me

I have my licence since 1967 never had an accident and only

one speeding ticked in 40 years since I came to Australia

So what is wrong with Thai Drivers ?wai2.gif

I wonder how he got his license in Thailand

Did you think of asking him where he got the licence?

he can't even change gears

Automatic gearbox in some cars these days.

Edited by Bantex

Not exactly sure what you are asking here - what is wrong with Thai drivers? I assume a lot of the deaths that make it amongst the world leaders is motorcycles, and young people, drinking... many seem not to be too careful when they drive. Many drive too fast and have poor control of their vehicles. I have always guessed that they first learn to drive motorcycles in villages with little traffic and no particular need for rules of the road... when out and about, I am amazed at people not stopping for stop signs and inability to pay attention to lanes... they just don't seem to think into the future that well.

I love Thai people. It is nice to be able to live in the moment. Sometimes a little planning ahead is helpful.

My wife is driving about 6 months now. She is very careful. I hope she has the same driving record as you...

I am not saying I hate Thai drivers but he has got an international license

never ever driven a car in Thailand and as I sad before, done his

international license in 2 days on a manual car ok?

But can not even change gears correctly and don't tell me the

gears are different in Thailand bah.gif

Edited by White Christmas13

And he has learned on manual in Thailand

You state he learned on manual in Thailand yet your original post states

So my Thai nephew had a Thai license but never driven a car

So make your mind up about whether he has driven a car or not.

Your contradicting yourself !!!

Edited by Bantex

And he has learned on manual in Thailand

You state he learned on manual in Thailand yet your original post states

So my Thai nephew had a Thai license but never driven a car

So make your mind up about wether he has driven a car or not.

Your contradicting yourself !!!

Sorry you don't understand what I meant or I should have said it in different terms

What I mean he got his license in Thailand well that means driving ( I guess) but

he never had a car and did not do any driving at all OK?

So are we clear now ?

How did he get an International Driving Permit? Is it Thai? If his Thai licence expired it must have been replaced first? Or does he have an Australian licence?If it is a Thai National Licence (5 years) I guess you can drive anywhere for a year!

Ok I wake you up read this very carefully

My Nephew obtained a inter national license in Thailand to drive in many countries in the world

got this ? This country includes Australia OK? But he never ever driven a car anywhere but

for the purpose of getting his license

So in simple worlds he got an license which allows him to drive any where in the world without

any driving experience Well here I go again he can't even change gears

What kind of international licence are you talking about? Since you mention he got it in 3 days it does not seem to be an IDP, and if something different it is of no value or legality.

My Nephew obtained a inter national license in Thailand to drive in many countries in the world

got this ? This country includes Australia OK? But he never ever driven a car anywhere but

So in simple worlds he got an license which allows him to drive any where in the world without

Having a license in Thailand means nothing. Its easy for you, don't let him drive, he can't do it and its dangerous.

A lot of Thai's get a license the easy but more expensive way... if you get my drift. It's probably the biggest governmental agency scam after shonky immigration stamps.

The OP's nephew would ideally have needed a proper, domestic Thai DL before being given a Thai international driving permit (IDP). If the kid has some piece of plastic that says 'Thai International Driving License' he either got it down Khaosan or over the internet.

Hide your car keys.

This isnt a Thai thing buddy. Many countries around the world have inexperienced drivers. An IDP is nothing more than a certification that a person has a legal valid license in their home country, nothing more.

And changing gears come on you cant be that dense to see he has never driven a stick before. Help the guy out and quit yer complaining about it here.

Deal with it in an adult like manner and help your family out.

OP Your Nephew obtained a International DL license maybe Thailand calls them this instead of what western countries call them, i.e. International Driving Permit (IDP) and he would of needed a 5 year Thai DL to get it.

In Australia, laws and driving regulations differ from state to state. Some states require you to carry an International Licence with your current foreign licence. Other states request you carry your current foreign driver's licence together with a formal translation of your licence into English.

In most Australian states and territories (the exception is the Northern Territory), you are able to drive on a overseas licence as long as it is current. You can only drive vehicles which your overseas licence authorizes you to drive and you must drive according to any conditions on your overseas licence.

Select the state or territory you will be driving in to find out what the laws are for driving with an overseas licence. smile.png

It takes about 1 or 2 hours to get an IDP in Thailand and you must have a 5 year license.

It sounds very like he has got one of those bits of plastic that are worth less than the value of the plastic.

If he has and has an accident in your car, with you there or not YOU will be in a world of hurt.

To the OP:

have you ever seen/investigated how they obtain a Thai DL? biggrin.png

He could have lent an automatic and done his round on the yard of the DLT (office).

The biggest challenges:

Stopping on a little hill and continue without rolling back. Good fun with an automatic.

Parking in a 7 m long booth not further than 25 cm away from the curb.

Additionally he has to do a computerized theory test.

There is no obligatory driving school, no practical test on the road.

Have you seen his Thai DL? whistling.gif

And his Thailand issued IDP looks like this?

Second of the five fields on the right page stamped? (for car license).

inter.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ