I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

Never understood how people spend so much money here...

Just get arrested and you get food and accommodation for free.

Do you though? One bag rice, one bag fish head curry - 800 kcals if you're lucky. It wouldn't get me to elevenses. The thought horrifies me.

Can go another coutryrolleyes.gif

Or obey the law.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never understood how people spend so much money here...

Just get arrested and you get food and accommodation for free.

Do you though? One bag rice, one bag fish head curry - 800 kcals if you're lucky. It wouldn't get me to elevenses. The thought horrifies me.

Can go another coutryrolleyes.gif

Or obey the law.

point" you get food and accommodation for free"

I do not know if the guy is trolling or not, but I can kinda see where he's coming from.

I have been on relatively low income since moving here 3 years ago and during this time have still managed to save $50,000. The longer I stay in Thailand the less I need, for some reason. Yesterday I was so bored I decided to buy PS4 and when I turned it on I wondered why I made such purchase. This stuff does not give me any pleasure anymore and so do million other things. When I stay in a nice hotel I can't eat nice food because of reflux. When I get a room with an executive lounge I never use it anymore. Same story with a buffet spread. I could buy a nice car, but I know I would hate driving it in Bangkok. Another waste of money.

The only expense that gives me some benefit (but not pleasure because I hate working out) is a monthly gym membership.... 1000 baht + vat. What else can I spend my money on here? Nothing. Bore.

$50,000 dollars or 50,000 baht?

The first would require saving 41,666 baht per month for 36 months

The second would require saving 1388 baht per month for 36 months

Saving 50,000 baht over 3 years? You hardly have enough for a plane ticket to get your of town.

You don't have enough savings to save yourself from anything.

Would not count that as an accomplishment

I do not know if the guy is trolling or not, but I can kinda see where he's coming from.

I have been on relatively low income since moving here 3 years ago and during this time have still managed to save $50,000. The longer I stay in Thailand the less I need, for some reason. Yesterday I was so bored I decided to buy PS4 and when I turned it on I wondered why I made such purchase. This stuff does not give me any pleasure anymore and so do million other things. When I stay in a nice hotel I can't eat nice food because of reflux. When I get a room with an executive lounge I never use it anymore. Same story with a buffet spread. I could buy a nice car, but I know I would hate driving it in Bangkok. Another waste of money.

The only expense that gives me some benefit (but not pleasure because I hate working out) is a monthly gym membership.... 1000 baht + vat. What else can I spend my money on here? Nothing. Bore.

Saving 50,000 baht over 3 years? You hardly have enough for a plane ticket to get your of town.

First you ask a question then automatically answer it by assuming baht..... even though I spelled it quite correctly for you by putting the dollar sign in front of the amount, champ.

I realize that $50,000 (dollars) is a chump change for many high rollers here, but it's more than I was saving in Canada while on double the income.

First you ask a question then automatically answer it by assuming baht..... even though I spelled it quite correctly for you by putting the dollar sign in front of the amount, champ.

I realize that $50,000 (dollars) is a chump change for many high rollers here, but it's more than I was saving in Canada while on double the income.

For many, $50,000 is NOT chump change. In fact that $16,666 is likely more than some pensioners get per year. Some TV posters vastly exaggerate how much money they have and what they spend. Apparently they think we believe them and that gives them a big face.

My brother reckons he's saved money by having his credit card stolen.I asked him how did he work that one out?, he said the thief's spending less than his fukin mrs..

Now thats damn funny :-)

Ach, that's an old one. Pierre Trudeau said that about his wife in front of 500 guests when she was sitting there. She really did not take it too well.

As long as the Cheap Charlie syndrome does not impact others, I guess it is fine, if it works for you. I have been out with friends, who have counted every baht on the bill, then began an adamant argument over 10 baht. That kind of behavior is simply ugly, and extremely unpleasant for everyone around. This guy looked like he was going to burst a blood vessel over 10 baht. And we know for a fact he is a property owner on Maui. He has cash! We had all just enjoyed a lovely couple of hours together, then this miserable saboteur ruins it with his antics. I told him straight up, this was the last time he was ever going to be invited to join our group, and that was also the last time I was ever going to have any contact with him. He was not a good friend. Just an acquaintance. And he was certainly not going to become a friend, after pulling an ugly stunt like that. Some call it cheap charlie. I call it poverty consciousness. If you just do not have any money, and need to do this to survive, my heart goes out to you. Otherwise, it is a bit tiresome for those around you.

So, it just depends on how seriously you take it. I know guys who are quite thrifty, but when it comes to sharing a meal, they are quite reasonable. Don't blow an artery over this. Just do your best. Life is short. You have to have some enjoyment, sometimes.

Yes sir....that is the type of cheap Charlie I think of when the word is used or people ask what that phrase means.

Worse than counting the bill and turning all chintzy over 10 Baht are the guys that never pay for the meal rather let someone else pay for the meal while they never even make an effort to at least make like they will pay for the bill.

I think we have all been there when 3 or 4 or 5 people are invited to go eat together and when the bill comes you begin to pull out your money and at least pay for your share but one of the guys ( maybe he is the well off guy ) insists that he pays ( his treat , so to speak ) while you say: "Well, let me pay for some of it or my share"... while the other guys say nothing and make no attempt at all to contribute and let the one guy pay for it all while you at least volunteer to leave a generous tip for the waiters...like that.

Same thing at the bars...they never buy a round or volunteer to pay for the drinks or just whip out 500 baht and say: "I think that covers my drinks".....Never....Only when it is made clear that everyone pays separately and then they scrutinize the bill and if there is any discrepancy or doubt about the cost of their drink and how many they drank then they will make a big fuss about it and even state: "I am not paying for your drink".....which is like 3 or 4 or 5 dollars.... if that is the case.

Just small minded Cheap Charlie thinking if ever there was

Then you notice that some guys never pay or share for anything when someone else does and even say they did not bring their wallet when it is suggested everyone pay their own way.

My one friends father in law was like that and every time they stayed in a hotel the guy would take all the soap and shampoo and ash trays and never shared the costs of meals and basically never pulled out his wallet and never shared the costs of anything or ever volunteered to pay for anything. and even said he did not bring his wallet with him on numerous occasions

My friend does not like the father in law...obviously...while even his wife laughs and tells stories about just how Cheap Charlie the father always was and is and always will be ...at the expense of other people..... is the point.

I have seen it and never sad anything but I noticed 2 people in particular were always pulling the Cheap Charlie at other peoples expense...such as shared taxi cab rides they would never volunteer to pay or contribute and will not pay unless you said to them: Give me 50 baht each for your share and watch their faces turn sour.

One time when sitting at a table with one of them around the bar area, I had one drink and then I had to be on my way and forgot to pay for my drink as I was talking with the other guy about something and finally said ..OK ..have to go.

2 days later when back at the same bar the waitress tells me how I did not pay for my drink while the friend refused to pay for my drink...all of 80 baht..... and argued with the girl on the principle that it was not his drink so why should he pay for it.

That is a cheap Charlie and a JERK if ever their was one while he was bound to see me again and could have told me I forgot to pay for my drink and tell me he paid for it and I would have given him the 80 baht without hesitation.

When I did see him again I brought up this subject and told him : You are a Jerk, really, and a Cheap Charlie on top of it while informing the dick head that the girl would have to pay for the shortage of 80 baht on her own and that is the reason she was so relieved to see me and get back the 80 baht difference.

Of course he did not care...and just laughed thinking it was so humorous while I called him an Axx hole

Anyhow, after that I never went out with them again or when someone invited us to go out for a meal and drinks after and either one of them were included in the invite I would decline and go off on my own.

Cheers

Those kinds of fools are simply invited out of my life. One time is enough. And when I know who they are we agree to split the bill evenly when it arrives or do separate checks. Frankly, I do not have enough time for people that petty.

And the father in law sounds like the biggest butthead of all. A true half man. I hope he somehow managed to do a decent job raising his daughter. Not sure how. Maybe the mother is more substantial?

Okay if my thread about being rich isn't suitable for public consumption, perhaps we should begin to question the motives of this one? Could it be anymore obvious this is nothing more than a troll post?

A thread about being rich?

Where?

Would love to participate :)

Did you know that the cost to change 4 Aventador tyres is nearly the same as the cost of a yearly (non-voting) membership at the RBSC? Interesting, isn't it?

This (opposite type of) thread may only based on a troll post, but it's fun anyway :)

Okay if my thread about being rich isn't suitable for public consumption, perhaps we should begin to question the motives of this one? Could it be anymore obvious this is nothing more than a troll post?

Where?

Would love to participate smile.png

Did you know that the cost to change 4 Aventador tyres is nearly the same as the cost of a yearly (non-voting) membership at the RBSC? Interesting, isn't it?

This (opposite type of) thread may only based on a troll post, but it's fun anyway smile.png

how much do i save per month if i don't buy every day 4 Aventator tyres? huh.png

Where?

This (opposite type of) thread may only based on a troll post, but it's fun anyway smile.png

how much do i save per month if i don't buy every day 4 Aventator tyres? huh.png

4,680,000b (for a month of 30 days).

The price of a nice watch.

The advantage of modern cars though, is that you don't have to change the tyres every day (Great additional savings) :)

Where?

The advantage of modern cars though, is that you don't have to change the tyres every day (Great additional savings) smile.png

i don't buy cheap watches dry.png

Where?

The advantage of modern cars though, is that you don't have to change the tyres every day (Great additional savings) smile.png

i don't buy cheap watches dry.png

If you do NOT buy 4 Aventador tyres every day, for 30 days, AND you also do NOT buy a watch, at approximately the price of 120 Aventador tyres, then you save enough to buy a minuscule condo in some remote Bangkok suburbs... But, why would you do that? Personally I go for the tyres :)

Comparing prices 'back home' with prices here is classic newbie. Consider the bus price from Gatwick to Heathrow; it is relative when one is earning real money.

A one hour bus journey from one city to another town or city is about 10GBP back in Scotland.

Capitalist bast@rds.

try London to Birmingham £238 peak return

ticket that I claimed on expenses last month

ouch!

Even when we're in town and eating in the malls we always head for the Thai food section. Thais aren't very good at imitations, and that includes imitations of farang food.

I must be doing something wrong, because every time I eat in the Thai food section, I get the shakes and I'm hungry and very sleepy (to the point of being crabby) 30 minutes later.

That's not so prevalent in more expensive places, so I chalked it up to MSG in cheap Thai food, but maybe it's something else?

Because I love the flavors- but many Thai foods don't appear to like me.

It's probably the MSG, sugar and salt. Or perhaps the ubiquitous chili.

No-one has to eat Thai food here if they don't want to. All it takes is going to one of the multitude of Thai daily markets, where one can buy fish,meat, vegetables and fruit at very low cost, then take it home and cook it themselves.

I've been eating market food here for over 7 years,and have never been sick on it even once. It's not hard to discern the good food stalls, there are clusters of Thais around them.

Yeah nice one bazza, except youve thrown common sense into the mix. In these nasty threads it's just pure black and white. If you don't spend 5000 baht a week in Lotus or Villa than you must only eat somtam in the gutter or the dodgiest Street food available. Same as if you live here on a budget than by default you must be a lowlife loser in a fan room who soon is going to (hopefully) have a an accident that will devastate whatever savings you have and ruin your life. Some really miserable <deleted> on here. It's no surprise most foreigners dodge other foreigners like the plague in Thailand. Who would want to meet any of these judgemental sods

You nailed that with a nailgun, didnt ya

Makes me wonder if the OP understands that the new visa regulations and enforcements are designed specifically to crow bar people like him out of their holes and ultimately the country?

yes I do. but I m lucky and not far from my 50.

with all the money saved from the elite visa, I can show them 800k for my retirement visa.

I win everywhere! it s just amazingly amazing.

Guys, today I found one more way to save a bit of money:

Do NOT buy a duplex penthouse at Icon Siam.

But doing this you immediately save 216,227,200b. And you, of course, once again, don't have to open your wallet.

Life in Thailand is so cheap when you know what not to buy. Incredible.

(I may give it a second thought though...).

Edited by gerry1011