I spend so little money in Thailand that it's hard to open my wallet

I checked out of hospital yesterday and the bill was 150k, my free health insurance covered it.

today i feel 150k richer..

iam a winner too much

Don't forget all that delicious free food you got.

A real winner !

We should all try it wink.png

i wont forget the food. it was some of the worst i have ever eaten.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best topic of the year. I agree with all of you.

Have you analyzed the economics of cost/frequency of haircut vs cost of shampoo & conditioners? I'm sure there are potential savings to be found here.

And of course I am sure you are familiar with the front/back inside/out underware rotation scheme to save on laundry.

That's only for socks for gawd sake

Have you analyzed the economics of cost/frequency of haircut vs cost of shampoo & conditioners? I'm sure there are potential savings to be found here.

And of course I am sure you are familiar with the front/back inside/out underware rotation scheme to save on laundry.

It is ?

Edited by Aussie69

...as I have heard Thais say: "you cannot take your money with you to grave"

"give it to me"

Not strictly true. I borrowed 5000 pounds from a Scottish friend who unfortunately died a week later.

I did pay it back though. I put a cheque in his coffin.

It is ?

Of course only socks, you can exchange with your wife/girlfriend to go twice as long. The other I don't want to think about.

Naam you're a shrewd man to say the least. Did you happen to take the Walen investor course or something? I got scared and decided to play it safe on the top up rather than risk it.

Naam is not my student -), numbers are growing though, so you never know. It is certainly a good course and good investment of money.

...as I have heard Thais say: "you cannot take your money with you to grave"

"give it to me"

Not strictly true. I borrowed 5000 pounds from a Scottish friend who unfortunately died a week later.

I did pay it back though. I put a cheque in his coffin.

trouble is that mine came from real life...

you don't need a lot of money to keep your body alive and healthy. majority of people who spend a lot, are usually unhealthy and sick.

today I spent only 70 baths for my food and clean my clothes.

if you spend more, you are a poor chap!

Edited by returnofthailand

I never thought about it (yet).

But wouldn't it be a good idea to already choose my coffin?

I really don't want to spend more than necessary on that item.

And I would feel very bad if my heirs spend too much of my great (life) savings without my approval.

Saving money even till after my death... I am really good at it I think :)

(From a humorous tone, this thread seems to slowly come back to its original depressing state... And return has returned. Let's come up with new money savings ideas :) ).

Edited by gerry1011

Heres a money saving idea: dont get buried, containers for ashes are cheaper than coffin.

Or you could forgo the container for ashes by putting in your will that you want a big party when you die, and all your family/friends can come and smoke you. Tobacco papers are real cheap

Edited by Aussie69

Heres a money saving idea: dont get buried, containers for ashes are cheaper than coffin.

Or you could forgo the container for ashes by putting in your will that you want a big party when you die, and all your family/friends can come and smoke you. Tobacco papers are real cheap

Uhm... And who would be paying for the party?

No way I am going to use my great (life) savings to pay for such a lavish party after my death.

I think it is wiser to invest in a cheap coffin.

You can find one at £100 on internet.

And with the British Pound diving due to the Brexit, you save even more !!!

Best deal ever I think.

And during your lifetime you can still use your very own cardboard coffin to store old clothes or something. No need to buy a wardrobe anymore. Double savings again.

Now, for real super great savings, you would of course buy a "dot it yourself" coffin kit, made of recycled carton boxes.

Not only life is cheap in Thailand when you know how to save. Even in death you can continue to gain a lot!

post-12654-14685835433214_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerry1011

Good point, maybe not a lavish party.

I must highlight that even a coffin made out of cardboard boxes nicked from the back of Tesco will still incur funeral director, transport, and burial fees.

I am therefore proposing an amendment to my previous suggestion; no party, just an Indian style farewell where your body is wrapped in hessian and burnt atop a pile of wood (for 6 hours). Prior to lighting of the fire a printed bank statement showing your net wealth will be placed into your dead cold hands so that you can take it with you to the afterlife and feel satisfaction with your frugal accomplishments

Let's come up with new money savings ideas smile.png ).

let's find half a dozen cretins who claim they are rich because they live like paupers, put them in a cage and charge spectators an entry fee to watch them.

then use the proceeds to short the €UR and after taking the European Central Bank down transfer all profit opening a savings account with a Thai bank.

I must highlight that even a coffin made out of cardboard boxes nicked from the back of Tesco will still incur funeral director, transport, and burial fees.

I am therefore proposing an amendment to my previous suggestion; no party, just an Indian style farewell where your body is wrapped in hessian and burnt atop a pile of wood (for 6 hours). Prior to lighting of the fire a printed bank statement showing your net wealth will be placed into your dead cold hands so that you can take it with you to the afterlife and feel satisfaction with your frugal accomplishments

Can the wood come from trees cut in my own garden, in order to save a bit more?

Let's come up with new money savings ideas smile.png ).

let's find half a dozen cretins who claim they are rich because they live like paupers, put them in a cage and charge spectators an entry fee to watch them.

then use the proceeds to short the €UR and after taking the European Central Bank down transfer all profit opening a savings account with a Thai bank.

Evil you are ;)

But good idea for sure.

Yes, but in order to get wood from your own trees you wil require and axe/hacksaw. It is cheaper (and healthier) to just go on daily walks and accumulate already fallen wood. This healthy activity will also keep you alive longer yo save more money. Of course you cannot increase your food intake as a result of thus activity Edited by Aussie69

Yes, but in order to get wood from your own trees you wil require and axe/hacksaw. It is cheaper (and healthier) to just go on daily walks and accumulate already fallen wood. This healthy activity will also keep you alive longer yo save more money. Of course you cannot increase your food intake as a result of thus activity
Daily walks... which will keep me alive longer?

But but but... If I live longer and walk so much, I will have to spend a FORTUNE on shoes !

The wood would be free, yes, but what is your suggestion to save on the shoes then?

I can't offset my great savings by spending it all on these bloody shoes. Help!

Edited by gerry1011

If all I wanted was one room, no hot water in the kitchen sink or bathroom

Sink, two fat people on an old motorbike, eat at the local flea market each

Day, sit in front of a fan, to cheap to use the A/C, dress only in a"T" shirt and

Shorts....Wow life in Thailand is really cheap....and everywhere else too if

That's how you want to exhaust.

I'll go along with that.

Regard shoes: Well i was going to suggest going barefoot, however the risk of generating medical costs is high.

For the shoes there are some great ideas too.

With only one carton of Chang beer you can make yourself wonderful and very durable shoes, same as the example I show here.

And not only that !!!

After you made superb new shoes with the box, you ALSO can drink all that free beer that was inside the carton !!! How lovely :)

For those who want to push the exercise even further, and make new shoes for free, forget the beer and just collect Chang carton boxes in front of any bar early morning.

Life can be sooooo cheap in Thailand, but one really needs to think smart!

post-12654-14686651980946_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerry1011

Regard shoes: Well i was going to suggest going barefoot, however the risk of generating medical costs is high.

For the shoes there are some great ideas too.

With only one carton of Chang beer you can make yourself wonderful and very durable shoes, same as the example I show here.

And not only that !!!

After you made superb new shoes with the box, you ALSO can drink all that free beer that was inside the carton !!! How lovely smile.png

For those who want to push the exercise even further, and make new shoes for free, forget the beer and just collect Chang carton boxes in front of any bar early morning.

Life can be sooooo cheap in Thailand, but one really needs to think smart!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect PRO1468665197.579338.jpg

There are no chang cartons in front of any bar in the morning, because they use them to store the empty bottles, which are sold to the collectors.

seriously guys, think about it, all the money we spend for nothing at the end. could have been invested intelligently instead.

a good example is marriage, I m sure many of you would have not been married if they know how bad their relation would be.

all this money spent on marriage, dress, rings, house, cars, then even more on divorce, lawyer, ...

and people still don't get it. they get remarried 2x, 3x, even 4 times and many finished assisted by their nanny state.

what's wrong with farangs?

seriously guys, think about it, all the money we spend for nothing at the end. could have been invested intelligently instead.

a good example is marriage, I m sure many of you would have not been married if they know how bad their relation would be.

all this money spent on marriage, dress, rings, house, cars, then even more on divorce, lawyer, ...

and people still don't get it. they get remarried 2x, 3x, even 4 times and many finished assisted by their nanny state.

what's wrong with farangs?

Why do you want to speak seriously?

Life (and your posts) should be fun :)

Economies of scale, that is where marriage can be a great deal to save even more money :)

I don't even wear sock. I save on washing, socks, ... all I need is a pair of shorts, t shirts and flip flop.

I buy all on second hand market except flip flop.

I spend probably 1000 or 2000 baths a year vs 20k baths in farang land.

food, oil and fuel for my bike, I spend around 5 dollars a day. my rent is 3 $ a day, I spend 8 bucks a day. where in this world can you live decently (high rise building, sea view, nice food and fruits, scooter, beach, movie theater, ...) with 8 bucks a day?

yes, that s right. some month I spend 8k and some month 10k.if i travel around Thailand I m at 14k average. I m just amazing!

Edited by returnofthailand

I don't even wear sock. I save on washing, socks, ... all I need is a pair of shorts, t shirts and flip flop.

I buy all on second hand market except flip flop.

I spend probably 1000 or 2000 baths a year vs 20k baths in farang land.

food, oil and fuel for my bike, I spend around 5 dollars a day. my rent is 3 $ a day, I spend 8 bucks a day. where in this world can you live decently (high rise building, sea view, nice food and fruits, scooter, beach, movie theater, ...) with 8 bucks a day?

yes, that s right. some month I spend 8k and some month 10k.if i travel around Thailand I m at 14k average. I m just amazing!

Good start ;)

But try to be funny, it would be even better :)

We are all sure you can do it ;)

Life is beautiful, with or without super great money savings.

Edited by gerry1011