Buying Motorbike, Green Book, Insurance Etc?

JCCR6

Hi,

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand motorbike privately. Could anyone tell me what I need to do in terms of transferring the green book to my name/registering the bike in my name.

If the bike is currently insured will that get transferred to my name? Or, if not, then where can I get insurance in Bangkok? How much does this cost roughly?

Is there anything else that I need to be aware of, or needs to be done?

I'm waiting for my work permit to come through, after which point I'll get my thai driving license (I've currently got a full UK lisence and International permit).

TIA.

You will need your work permit before you can register it to your name (I don't know if you can also get it done on retirement of business visas, but not on "Non-Immigrant B" or "Tourist" visas).

You can get it to your name with an international driving license.

If you are buying a small bike, insurance is cheap. For a NSR 150, under 600 Baht a year.

Make sure you also get the tax sticker. Again, it is cheap, under 1.000 baht per year for the small bikes. If the bike currently has it, it is valid until whatever date it shows in there.

Good luck and enjoy your purchase

As for needing a work permit to register a vehicle, that's not always true. I got my NEW bike registered with only a B visa. However, you can't usually get one registered on a tourist visa or arrival stamp. Also, I kept renewing my bike registration for three years without any evidence of a drivers' license.

You will need your work permit before you can register it to your name (I don't know if you can also get it done on retirement of business visas, but not on "Non-Immigrant B" or "Tourist" visas).

You can get it to your name with an international driving license.

If you are buying a small bike, insurance is cheap. For a NSR 150, under 600 Baht a year.

Make sure you also get the tax sticker. Again, it is cheap, under 1.000 baht per year for the small bikes. If the bike currently has it, it is valid until whatever date it shows in there.

Good luck and enjoy your purchase

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the place to get the bike registered and insured in Bangkok? (central)

TIA

If you buy from a dealer, they will do all the paperwork, insurance, tax for you. I suggest you buy from a dealer. Even if you are not required to produce an International licence or a Thai driving licence, you'd best get one because your insurance is probably invalid without it. There is therefore no point getting insuared unless you have the licence. I have an agent who usually sorts things out for me, over the phone.

I purchased a motocycle with a non-immigrant O visa. No work permit required.

If you don't find a shop or agent to transfer the ownership, I would assume the buyer and seller could go to the Land Transport Office with the 'Green Book' registration document and transfer ownership there.

I have over the last 3 years purchased 2 cars,both under my name one a second hand and one new and both times was only on a 30 day tourist visa. On neither was I questioned, and on the second hand one even did the change of ownership ourselves as it was a private sale.

I have over the last 3 years purchased 2 cars,both under my name one a second hand and one new and both times was only on a 30 day tourist visa. On neither was I questioned, and on the second hand one even did the change of ownership ourselves as it was a private sale.

The whole process seems to be haphhazard. Some dealers I've been to are adamant that if you are falang you must have a work permit, others state no problem, we can register in your name!

Its like some kind of pot luck game whether they'll sell you the vehicle/bike in your name or not.