Assault in Udon Thani

blackion

only in thaivisa forum, the apologists push the victim to keep it quiet, so he dont ruin the tourism industry...coffee1.gif

I fail to see where anyone has suggested keeping any incident quiet, if anything actually happened, in case it ruins the tourism industry.

If you actually believe that he is telling a true story, or the fuel version of events if it happened, and that it will have any effect on Thai tourism, you are as delusional as he is.

You and others apologists, just called him a troll.... But you are the one who is trolling this forum on daily basis! This is a free speech forum, let him talk and keep your sh### bully tactics for yourself!

If you dont like this thread, just put him on your ignore list and give us a break!

ps: out of curiosity, how many fake account do you have here?

I have never made a troll post since I joined TV.

I commented that I had a similar experience, and explained that the police, basically, are not interested in such incidents. I don't know what 'expertise' you have on the subject, probably none, as usual.

I suggested he was a troll as opossed to calling him one, there is a big difference, if you care to look it up in the dictionary.

And, for your information, this is the only account I have ever had here.

Can I ask from what part of America you are from ?

okay you gave your unwanted opinion,

and clearly the OP doesnt have any interest in your gibberish!

The OP is seeking sound advice, so crawl back to your rock and give him a break!coffee1.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Bender

Keep posting your irrelevant and unsubstantiated advice, on topics of which you have no knowledge or experience, as usual.

Maybe some people do post on here, to receive such drivelous nonsense as advice ?

Do I, when I write I am talking through experience, do you understand that, or are you not English ?

A similar thing happened to me, the difference was, there were witnesses, and the assailant was known by me.

Got a hospital report, only a few abraisions, and went to the police.

As I said, they really were not interested.

What I will add about my experience is that it was not a random assault, and there was provocation by both parties.

I suggest the same is true of the OP.

What was the outcome of your case? What have you said to the doctor while making a medical report?

Let me give some background. I have been living in Thailand on and off for about 10 years. I'm just an ordinary guy, as any of you, the members here.

I read and watch sometimes news about foreigners attacked in Thailand, and well, I wouldn't believe it could happen to me. First of all, I'm a polite guy. Secondly, I know Thai culture and people quite well. Thirdly, I speak relatively good Thai for common communications.

In 10 years in Thailand, I haven't attacked any Thai, not a punch, not a slap, neither I was ever slapped or attacked.

The reason I want to make it public, is as my case highlights, that this can happen to anyone, anytime. Even after 10 years of peaceful stay. Just like that, out of nowhere. There was no arguing, no pushing, no escalation. If that would be, I could down escalate the situation. The guy came from behind and hit me straight at the back of my head. Would I be Mike Tyson, I would still not be able to protect myself from this development. (Of course would I be one, once I stood up.. :) ) But I decided against this course of action because other guys from his group could join in, they were about 15 people, or I could have become accused, instead of a victim.

The reason I would like to make this case known, is because other foreigners, one of you guys, or family members, your friends, can be attacked just like that. But, by making this case advertised, with hopefully a harsh sentence for the perpetrator, will likely deter some of the Thai's of using (unnecessarily) violence against foreigners.

I have suffered brain injury from the concussion, it affected my memory. Pain in the foot, so after 1 month I still have pain every time I step. A patch on the skin on my leg is like numb, probably a nerve was damaged.

Do I, when I write I am talking through experience, do you understand that, or are you not English ?

A similar thing happened to me, the difference was, there were witnesses, and the assailant was known by me.

Got a hospital report, only a few abraisions, and went to the police.

As I said, they really were not interested.

What I will add about my experience is that it was not a random assault, and there was provocation by both parties.

What was the outcome of your case? What have you said to the doctor while making a medical report?

The medical report noted abrasions and bruising, possibly as the result of an attack. As it was my version of events that were dictated to him, there was not a lot more he could put.

As I stated before, there was no case. When I returned to the police station following my hospital visit, they rather reluctantly wrote out a report, based on my story of the incident, and apart from that, they indicated that they were not prepared to persue it any further. Bearing in mind I knew who assaulted me, it would not be illogical to see that your case will go down the same avenue.

Anyway, as one member has given me nothing but abuse since I replied to your OP, this is my last contribution to the thread.

May I suggest, that if you want any valuable advice on the matter, contact Bender, who has absolutely no experience or knowledge of such cases.

Best of luck.

Sorry you had that experience...though, as others have said, if you don't have video footage of it or can otherwise locate and identify the assailant, you probably aren't going to get very far with pursuing any sort of justice.

Well, I'm trying to ask police to get the footage, I'm amused (to some extent) they didn't do so by themselves. The tourist police came to the scene and I lead them to the group of people from where the guy emerged. They all seem to belong to one group, wearing the same t-shirts. The tourist police didn't ask them much, didn't bring the leader to police station, didn't interview witnesses, etc. They denied everything I was asking, the only thing they did is took a photo of the car number plate (with Udon plates) the group used.

If the police would really like, they surely can find the attacker via following the car owner and making an investigation in their mubaan. But I surely got the impression that they will do so only if that case will be publicized.

Did you see exactly what T-shirts they were wearing? It might make it easier for others to avoid this group if they also encountered them.

Wasting your time.

I would rather welcome constructive suggestions. But, what would you do if an unknown Thai drunk guy would suddenly punch you in the back of the head, coming from behind, with such a force that you would lose consciousness and then run after you and deliver multiple punches? Wouldn't you feel angry? Wouldn't you like the police to catch that guy? What would you do in such a situation?

deleted my post, it would serve no purpose, somthing is missing that led up to the first punch thrown to the back of his head, he speaks Thai, didn't fight back because he was afraid. plain& simple - I wasn't there, don't now what happened, so can't comment

Edited by TunnelRat69

Well a story like this , is useful to others . Gone are the days of carefree walking around , you have to watch your 6 ....and all other directions and anticipate.

What's next ... attacks on property too ?

Well, I assume there are CCTVs, but I understand the police didn't get the feed. I'll try to ask the police to do that, however if the story could get media attention even prior to that I would assume police would be much eager in getting the feed.

Hundreds if not thousands of assaults every day worldwide that never make the news mate. While I am sorry to hear you got bashed why haven't you been kicking up a massive stink yourself or posting it all over the Web? Why wait till this other story came out.

Well, it seems lately that Thai young guys became too trigger happy. Not that it wasn't happening before, but it seems lately it became a new style: lets go drink, enjoy and kick some foreigner smile.png.

I didn't really wait for the story to come out, they got beaten on the same Songkran, just two days prior to me if I recall it right.

Generally I would assume I should approach some Thai media either in English or Thai languages, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that.

I'm sorry you got assaulted. That's something people shouldn't have to suffer.

However, given the number of foreigners here at any one time, expats, tourists, business visitors and illegals, the amount of assaults doesn't really suggest a widespread spate of foreigner bashing.

Foreigners should, in any country, keep away from locals who have been heavily drinking. Unless you are an expert on that countries' culture, behavior and reasonably fluent the chances of a misunderstanding with people who have been drinking large amounts of alcohol are great.

The Welsh family had been drinking and unfortunately one bumped into an aggressive drunk who has just been arguing with a local. That shove caused an unsteady person to fall. His mum started arguing and once she slapped the drunk, and her husband punched another it was never going to end well.

Even in your own country, you have to be careful around places crowded with drunks. They can turn violent and hit anyone for no apparent reason. One of the more unfortunate effects of this readily available drug.

You reacted correctly as retaliation even in self defense could have provoked others to join in. I hope the police follow this up and suggest, as others have, you post to social media and contact the press in your home country.

Whilst I agree with many of your comments, I feel you're being unrealistic in saying foreigners should stay away from locals who've been drinking heavily. I don't think you understand the OP was first attacked from behind, so may have been totally unaware of the danger. In any event what you're suggesting is that foreigners should be staying at home or in their hotels during Songkran, because I have yet to visit any part of Thailand where locals abstain from drinking alcohol during this national holiday!

Let me give some background. ....

I have suffered brain injury from the concussion, it affected my memory. Pain in the foot, so after 1 month I still have pain every time I step. A patch on the skin on my leg is like numb, probably a nerve was damaged.

If you think you have brain or nerve damage, get it professionally assessed. That would mean going home to your country and getting it done for free since private medical diagnosis and treatment here without insurance is as farcical as it is expensive. The same goes for requesting the local police to investigate something and also seeking any professional legal counsel.

Having said that, if you walked into your local police station back home and made medically unsubstantiated claims for brain and nerve damage from a previously unreported, 5 week old incident, do you think arrest warrants would go out?

The attack will go largely un-reported...their will be no one arrested...you will be seen as a nuisance if you persist...may be attacked again...

This is Thailand...you are a tolerated intruder...some Thais act out their inner most "Thainess" after a few drinks...

You are lucky that a mob did not attack and give you a beatdown...

Enjoy your stay here...

Edited by ggt

send your story to as many newspapers as you can especially in the UK, might do something then expect to be accused of ruining (sic) the Thai goodname

What is the way of sending the story to newspapers in UK? Should I message them on fb, or via e-mail? If via e-mail, 1-2 e-mails would be handy, thanks.

Oh come on....

how difficult is it to google contact the sun/mirror/times/guardian etc...

Sad to say the police won't be interested. We are tolerated intruders - as per a previous post - & I personally think there is more than a little "Farang fatigue" of late. I think many Thais feel disempowered / so easy to vent frustration on vulnerable farangs. I expect this to be a continuing trend

Let me give some background. ....

If you think you have brain or nerve damage, get it professionally assessed. That would mean going home to your country and getting it done for free since private medical diagnosis and treatment here without insurance is as farcical as it is expensive. The same goes for requesting the local police to investigate something and also seeking any professional legal counsel.

Having said that, if you walked into your local police station back home and made medically unsubstantiated claims for brain and nerve damage from a previously unreported, 5 week old incident, do you think arrest warrants would go out?

Unfortunately since I have been outside of my home country for 10 years, I don't have my insurance anymore. But if that guy is found, it might be possible to make him pay for all medical expenses.

That is the main point, if via several publications, Thai's will know that when they hurt a foreigner they will have to pay for all medical expenses arising from it - they might actually reconsider doing so.

I don't really know why you jumped to several conclusions, such as I haven't said I reported the incident after 5 weeks or I went to the hospital after 5 weeks.

What happened, is that once that guy stopped attacking him and went away, I called for police, and after two minutes a Thai police without uniform arrived to the scene. He called Tourist police and they came after about 5 minutes. Then they saw me, freshly beaten so to say, blood coming from abrasions. Immediately after that I showed them the group from where the guy emerged. After that they brought me to police station and I filed a report.

Oh come on....

how difficult is it to google contact the sun/mirror/times/guardian etc...

This is exactly the topic of this thread. I'm asking for an advice how to contact the above mentioned newspapers. A Guide for Dummies please.

Sorry you had that experience...though, as others have said, if you don't have video footage of it or can otherwise locate and identify the assailant, you probably aren't going to get very far with pursuing any sort of justice.

Well, I'm trying to ask police to get the footage, I'm amused (to some extent) they didn't do so by themselves. The tourist police came to the scene and I lead them to the group of people from where the guy emerged. They all seem to belong to one group, wearing the same t-shirts. The tourist police didn't ask them much, didn't bring the leader to police station, didn't interview witnesses, etc. They denied everything I was asking, the only thing they did is took a photo of the car number plate (with Udon plates) the group used.

If the police would really like, they surely can find the attacker via following the car owner and making an investigation in their mubaan. But I surely got the impression that they will do so only if that case will be publicized.

As another poster said you must be new to Thailand. The alleged guy that hit you is long gone. Everyone that works in factories or offices in BKK, Rayong, etc go home for songkran so the chances are very good that guy that hit you went back to work and no longer in Udon. Also the police are not going to do anything unless you pay them.

Sad to say the police won't be interested. We are tolerated intruders - as per a previous post - & I personally think there is more than a little "Farang fatigue" of late. I think many Thais feel disempowered / so easy to vent frustration on vulnerable farangs. I expect this to be a continuing trend

You have rightly pointed out the current situation. However, tourism brings a lot to Thai economy and the Thai Government is interested to preserve a safe image of Thailand as a traveling destination. Therefore, it is upon us, the foreigners here, to make sure that every case is reported, if possibly made known, with follow up and sentencing. The current government is actually interested in this as well, and it won't be unreasonable to ask to fast-track cases in which foreigners have been attacked, because their stay in the country is usually limited.

As I say, after a few harsh sentences, and more importantly of a mention that the attacker had to pay all medical expenses for the victim, with the numbers, I'm sure Thai's will be less eager to vent their frustration in a form of violence.

BTW: Someone along the posts mentioned that without solid evidence going to media is futile, I assume it may be the other way around: ie: a post in media can ask if anyone witnessed the attack. So, it just might be that 1-2 conscious Thai people among hundred+ that saw me being attacked can actually agree to be witnesses. I'm also sure that many people who where at that place know who the attacker is, Udon is after all not such a big place, so this might help too.

Finally, I saw some members complain that other member insult them and so they won't be replying anymore. So, dear members, let's keep the discussion civil and remember that the reason I opened the thread is to ask for an advise how to make this story public.

If you really think some overseas newspaper is going to put "Man gets punched in back oh head in Thailand" on the front page - good luck.

People getting punched randomly and dying might make the news....but a "routine" assault...don't think so.

Might be worth considering your visitor status here as well......immigration might decide not to give you any more extensions for reasons only known to themselves.whistling.gif

For the love of god....here....happy?

Man gets punched in head

Udonthani, 24th May, 2016

A foreign man minding his own business was viciously assaulted in Udonthani today.

"I was minding my own business when a man punched me in the back of my head". It hurt", said Blackion from his home in Thailand.

"In all my time in Thailand I have never had any trouble with anyone", he said. The attack left Blackion with possible nerve damage, migraines and abrasions on his head.

Police are currently looking at CCTv from the local 7/11 and hunting the suspected gang and appealing to anyone who saw the attack. They believe they will make arrests soon.

Tourism Minister, Popkorn, said that she did not believe this would harm tourist arrivals in Thailand.

No mate!

Only because you behave on a particular way, that doesn't mean that everyone will engage others on a violent confrontation.

What the OP came across, it's just one aspect of the "thainess" that locals, but even some foreigners, will try to hide as much as they can, no matter how ridiculous or blatantly wrong they will sound like, they will accuse you of spreading TRUTHS that will damage their image, make up fake scenarios to try to put all the blame on the victims, no matter what, while at the same time be supportive of the crime and criminals, that's it.

The truth is that foreigners are being often attacked just for being that, foreigners, however that's not the worse aspect, the main problem its actually the official delegated figures that supposed to do something about this problem (yes it's a problem), but they are acting the opposite way and in fact promoting an increase in such an horrible attitude, doing things as making disappear reports, showing great sympathy for the perpetrators all smiles and friendly while at the same time having an horrible attitude against the victims and try to blame them for things they have just made up in their minds to try to justify the crimes (sounds familiar??).

This ultranationalistic attitude you see around, looks innocuous but is in fact one of the main reasons from where all this hate it's coming out from, and what they do? They increase it even further.....

Thai young guys became too trigger happy.

Unfortunately it's not circumscribed to the youngsters, when you have a whole national attitude promoting violence.

Years ago a guy i have never seen before, possibly in his middle 70's, stopped his motocy to have a loud cheat-chat with the neighbour, one of the first things he suggested, was to go and steal things from the "farang's home".....people around here never ask if they could do any jobs to earn something, all you can see them doing it's plotting on something or being catch red handed......is it really so humiliating to do something honestly????

What I will add about my experience is that it was not a random assault, and there was provocation by both parties.I suggest the same is true of the OP.

No mate!

Only because you behave on a particular way, that doesn't mean that everyone will engage others on a violent confrontation.

What the OP came across, it's just one aspect of the "thainess" that locals, but even some foreigners, will try to hide as much as they can, no matter how ridiculous or blatantly wrong they will sound like, they will accuse you of spreading TRUTHS that will damage their image, make up fake scenarios to try to put all the blame on the victims, no matter what, while at the same time be supportive of the crime and criminals, that's it.

The truth is that foreigners are being often attacked just for being that, foreigners, however that's not the worse aspect, the main problem its actually the official delegated figures that supposed to do something about this problem (yes it's a problem), but they are acting the opposite way and in fact promoting an increase in such an horrible attitude, doing things as making disappear reports, showing great sympathy for the perpetrators all smiles and friendly while at the same time having an horrible attitude against the victims and try to blame them for things they have just made up in their minds to try to justify the crimes (sounds familiar??).

This ultranationalistic attitude you see around, looks innocuous but is in fact one of the main reasons from where all this hate it's coming out from, and what they do? They increase it even further.....

Sorry, I did not realise you were there to witness the said incident.

I bow down to your superior knowledge (NOT).