renewing passport and getting reentry permit

Hello

I'm a US citizen. I have ran out of pages in my passport. I have a extension of stay based on Thai Wife, valid till February. I am going to travel to the US for 10 days with my wife and return to Thailand. But I need to renew my passport and get a reentry permit so I can travel.

My question is this... After I renew my passport at the US embassy and get the new one and I believe a letter to show to immigration.

Going to ChangWattana immmigration what forms do I need for transferring info from old passport to new one. And also getting a reentry permit so I can com back to Thailand.

1. What forms for reentry?

What forms for transfer of info?

2. What paper work do I need? copies of what? Do I need affidavit of address from Embassy?

Can I just go to the reentry permit section and get all done there or should I do it step by step and start with a Que number for old passport to new one. Then go to where I need for reentry permit.

I hope these questions make sense thanks for any help you can provide on this subject.

Thanks.

A TM8 form for the re-entry permit with a 4 X 6 cm pho to attached. Download: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm8.pdf

Copy of new passport photo page, visa/passport info stamp done during stamp transfer, entry/permit to stay stamp, extension stamp (transfered from the old one) and TM6 departure card.

To transfer the stamps you can use the following form but they may have a different form you will need to fill out when you get there. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/transferstamp.pdf

Copy of both passport photo pages. Copies of old passport pages that have anything for Thailand on it (visas, entry, extensions and etc). Copy of TM6 departure card.

You will first need a number for the stamp transfer and then another one for the re-entry permit after you make copies of the transferred stamps.

On the subject of my passport being full.

On my US passport the pages marked as "visas" are used up but after those pages there are ones marked "endorsement" can these be used for travel stamps? I have 3 pages marked as endorsement.

Just wondering if I can use then renew passport when I get back to Thailand

Edited by keithet

So if I can't use the endorsement pages I was looking in my passport and found 2 pages randomly in my passport unused page 8 and 10. Then I have 2 half pages with a stamp on the top. Like I said they are randomly in there. Have t look for them. Would this be enough to put a reentry permit, and all the others like leaving Thailand, entering the US and finally entry back to Thailand on the reentry permit.

I know I must have a certain amount of blank pages but don't know if half pages randomly in my passport is good.

Don't want to risk being told not enough room in passport to come back to Thailand

So if I can't use the endorsement pages I was looking in my passport and found 2 pages randomly in my passport unused page 8 and 10. Then I have 2 half pages with a stamp on the top. Like I said they are randomly in there. Have t look for them. Would this be enough to put a reentry permit, and all the others like leaving Thailand, entering the US and finally entry back to Thailand on the reentry permit.

I know I must have a certain amount of blank pages but don't know if half pages randomly in my passport is good.

Don't want to risk being told not enough room in passport to come back to Thailand

There is no written rule you need X number of pages in your passport to travel. But it would be best to get the new one before traveling.

The re-entry permit will only take about half a page.

The only stamps you would get get in your passport from the trip would be for departure and entry to here. The US does not stamp you in or out.

Keith if you can't be bothered waiting at CW for the reentry permit you can obtain one at airport. Same form same fee. Quick process.

On an aside may I ask a member to confirm that Ican exit tThailand and reenter (by air) showing old pp and new. I have new pp waiting for pickup at au embassy bkk but will not have time to get to CW to transfer my 12 month permission of stay and reentry permit.

One last question. After I get my new passport how will I need to do my 90 day address report being I will have a new passport. I normally do it online. I imagine online is not possible.

Is there any extra steps involved like copies of old and new passport?

I ask because I need to do my 90 day before I leave.

Im not sure if I will do new passport before or after 90 day needs to be done.

You could do your 90 day report online using your old passport number as long as you do it before the stamp transfer. You might even be able to do it afterwards since as far as I know they do not update the local 90 day reporting records when you do it.

When you return from your trip the new entry you will get will reset the records for online reporting to your new passport. Then 90 days from entry when your report will be due you could do a online report using your new passport number.

I've been on a "retirement" visa here in Thailand for over 9 years, but may need to go back to the States and then return to Thailand. I was wondering this: Can you obtain a re-entry permit at the airport before departing Thailand, or do you have to go to Immigration? The answser is probably in one forum or another, but I figured asking the question here was the shortest route to an answer. Thanks in advance to whomever.

Reentry permit at airport. Easy process. Remember to bring photo. You can download form and have it all ready to go. At swampy the office is prior to immigration and at don mueang just other side of immigration. Allow some extra time.

Reentry permit at airport. Easy process. Remember to bring photo. You can download form and have it all ready to go. At swampy the office is prior to immigration and at don mueang just other side of immigration. Allow some extra time.

Thanks a bunch!! Wouldn't have known, otherwise. Be well... "Swampy," eh?? LOL.

• 7 months later...

Hello, I started this thread. I have successfully transferred the info from old passport to new one and also got and used my reentry.

I have a question on what copies of my passport I should present (old and new) for a extension of stay non-o

My new passport has new entry stamp corresponding with the re entry. And has transfer of extension stamp with info from old passport.

My old passport has stamp stating info transferred to new passport also the visa sticker non-o.  

Should I make copy of transfer stamps new and old password, and photo page of new and old with copy of visas page from old?

Edited by keithet

5 minutes ago, keithet said:

Hello, I started this thread. I have successfully transferred the info from old passport to new one and also got and used my reentry.

I have a question on what copies of my passport I should present (old and new) for a extension of stay non-o

My new passport has new entry stamp corresponding with the re entry. And has transfer of extension stamp with info from old passport.

My old passport has stamp stating info transferred to new passport also the visa sticker non-o.  

Should I make copy of transfer stamps new and old password, and photo page of new and old with copy of visas page from old?

You will only need copies of your new passport pages. That would be the pages with the stamp that has info about your old passport and the visa you used for entry and probably one extension stamp.

24 minutes ago, keithet said:

I had a reentry permit in my new password. My visa  sticker that I entered on is in my old passport

All the info immigration needs about your original visa is written on the big stamp they did in your new passport. No need for a copy of the visa in your old passport.

I am right back from Cheng Wattana with my new German passport. The only cost for this transaction were transportation fares. The transfer by the administration is free. 

I am retired and I had the attached multiple re-entry permit

But attention, there are some traps.

I called the hotline the day before to make sure that I have up to date information about what and how.

1. Bring copies of your old and new passport (if you call the information hotline, they will not tell you that)
  2. your old passport
  3. your new passport
  4. a confirmation of the issuing consulate (the German consulate takes extra money for that, You need to tell them when applying for the new passport, that you need such a confirmation) 
  5. get a queue-nr. at the desk inside for counters "L" and a second queue-nr for your reentry-permit
  6. go to the information counter to get the required transfer-form (outside between the main-entrance and immigration office) 

During you are waiting for your turn in area "L" check the progress in area "Q" and in case "Q" is proceeding faster than "L" renew your number.

It took me additional 90 minutes, because I did not have a queue-nr for area "Q". But the trap: 

My re-entry permit had been issued at the airport, Cheng Wattana cannot transfer that stamp to your new pssport, I had to take a cab to Don Muang.

The staff in Cheng Wattana was very friendly and helpful, contacted Immigration in Don Muang. Everybody apologized and everybody was friendly.

I am living in Bangkok, arrived in CW at 08:30 and it took me 11 hours to  get all done and return home.

reentry_DMK.jpg