Tailbacks and delays frustrate Koh Chang tourists returning after long weekend

webfact

Tailbacks and delays frustrate Koh Chang tourists returning after long weekend

kc.jpg
Image: Manager Online

KOH CHANG: -- Tourists faced long tailbacks and delays as the long Visakhabucha weekend came to an end Sunday.

Both ferry companies - Koh Chang Ferry and Centrepoint Ferry - saw tailbacks of cars up to a kilometer long as people left the island to return to work Monday reported Manager Online.

Koh Chang Ferry had three boats in operation. The largest and smallest doing regular work while the middle sized ferry was used just for collection from the island to try to ease the backlog.

Source: Manager Online

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-23

Taken in context, I think I could guess what a "tailback" is.

Just out of curiosity, is there any more specific meaning than "long fricking line"?

For example, a switchback has a very specific meaning...

Up to 1 km long ??? Make that 6-7 Kms it was banked back past Klong Son up over the top of the mountain then half way down to white sands beach but this is nothing unusual as it happens every long week end holiday . Some Thai friends of mine took 5 and half hrs to just get on the ferry and another 4 hrs just to get to Soi Dao .

Up to 1 km long ??? Make that 6-7 Kms it was banked back past Klong Son up over the top of the mountain then half way down to white sands beach but this is nothing unusual as it happens every long week end holiday . Some Thai friends of mine took 5 and half hrs to just get on the ferry and another 4 hrs just to get to Soi Dao .

So why don't they just take another day off and go back on Monday?

Or leave their car on the mainland and use taxis on the island?

too much planning involved or do they enjoy the traffic jam?

Sanuck Mak!

My first trip to Ko Chang many years ago was foolishly undertaken during the Songkran holiday. Utter nightmare journey there and back. Afterwards (a few years later) I couldn't believe how quick it was during any normal time of the year.

Any long Holiday weekend is rammo'ed with traffic here. Lemming-like exodus' to the usual haunts.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, is there any more specific meaning than "long fricking line"?

Interesting, I know what a tailback is, don't wish to know what you mean by a 'long fricking line', and have no idea what you mean by a switchback. Maybe you need to consider that not everyone speaks American English.

On topic, the traffic out of Koh Chang is always a nightmare on holiday weekends and on one delightful occasion I happened to be there at the same time as some Thai movie crew (holiday weekend of course) were filming and the ferries ground to a complete standstill for about an hour which added to the queues.

Maybe you need to consider that not everyone speaks American English.

Hence the question.

Should have known better than to ask. It's a sad thing about Thai Visa. You're more likely to get dissed than to get any useful information. And 2 weeks after my post. Just couldn't resist the cheap shot, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe you need to consider that not everyone speaks American English.

Hence the question.

Should have known better than to ask. It's a sad thing about Thai Visa. You're more likely to get dissed than to get any useful information. And 2 weeks after my post. Just couldn't resist the cheap shot, I guess.

Sorry for the cheap shot and another 3 weeks delay.

As an English person I get annoyed at it being assumed that I will understand every Americanism while Americans don't seem to understand and find the need to query quite usual English expressions.

Indeed 'long fricking line?' What does that mean? I can use my brain and work it out without the need to show my ignorance on a public forum, even though it is pretty poor use of the language.

I think fricking must mean fishing so a 'long fricking line' is a 'long fishing line' to a British person.

And heres me thinking it was something to do with extracting oil from shale sands!tongue.png

I remember turning up just as this was ending a year or so ago, pure chance, had no clue about queues but getting there was fine. I found it odd that the ferries were just coming and going and coming and going, never ending but no problem, got on

Songthaew to White Sand though I saw the huge lines from the pier all the way to the first turning out of White Sand Beach. Insane

Off topic post about sharks and laser beams has been removed, the topic is being hijacked it is about:

Tailbacks and delays frustrate Koh Chang tourists