scaffolding

lovelomsak

I did not know thailand actually had real scaffolding till yesterday. All I see is bamboo.

So anyways.Has any one ever used the Thai metal scaffolding? I talked to the Thai workers using it they told me where to buy it and the price. It really is quite affordable at 1400 baht a section.I never measured the height but appeared to be somewhere between 5 to 6 feet each section. If any one has used or bought this could you please let me know what you think of it as far as safety and integrity strenght.

What I saw appeared safe but who knows.

Edited by lovelomsak

Thanks for that. The ones I saw here have three steps on one side starting half way up the one side. I am glad to hear you feel they are safe. I will be going only 2 high so I think I will give it a try. I ask the crew working where i could rent they did not know only knew where to buy. I will now look for places to rent from.

Edited by lovelomsak

You want to rent scaffolding easy.

Look around were you live when you see some ask.

Most people will rent to you cheaply.

I rented some from a local here 4 sections, used it for 1 week, rent 200 baht.

The Thai metal scaffolding itself is safe. I do not know the actual height limit, but once we build a huge construction with the same height as a coconut tree (it was around 20 meters) To prevent it from collapsing we made a construction from around 8 x 8 units, and 8 units high. It was ment for a film crew to shoot a monkey working in a cocout tree.

The difficult, AND dangerous part is climbing it. As far as I know they do not have stairs. You must really climb the scaffolding like a monkey. We hire them when we need it. Hire price is very low (20 baht/day/unit) only the deposit is around 1.500 Baht/unit.

Arjen

There are proper stairs available for them, they cost about the same as one unit of scaffolding and just hook on, the price is probably why you've never seen them in use. If you want wheels one set is a little cheaper than one unit of scaffolding.

You will see it used on many building sites http://meekings.selfip.com/nui/Groups-of-photos/New_house/Pages/February.html#grid is an example

I had to rent (and was able to, in Phayao...I was sort of amazed....) 4 and one half sections, with wheels and the platform to lay down (your own) work area boards/plywood. I even got the wheels so it would be easy to move around. Rented it all for a week. Was impressed by it all. pg

Metal scaffold is sold in any builders merchant store in Buriram. Proper steel decking to use as a work platform is also available. The stairs which attach are also available, but watch your head when walking on those metal stairs. Some chain stores import metal scaffolding from China, other stores offer made in Thailand scaffolding that must meet Thai standards to be on the construction site of a major building project. I have seen aluminum metal scaffolding offered for sale at the architect Expo that was imported from the USA. Wheels can be locking or non locking. Buriram also has at least one rental business that also rents shuttering to use while concrete is poured. I've seen the blue metal scaffolding for rent near the Buriram Robinson Lifestyle Center.

post-20604-0-28981000-1464137603_thumb.j

post-20604-0-29744700-1464137676_thumb.j

The wheels I have seen. Also a kind of feets when the surface where they are placed is soft. And boards to make standing on them a bit comfortable. But the stairs never. I even asked for a kind of stairs, but they did not have...

Do you have any idea what the maximum height is?

They were in Thai Watsadu lying down but looked as though they would go to the top of the standard unit.

AFIR they were between 1,000 and 2,000

The wheels I have seen. Also a kind of feets when the surface where they are placed is soft. And boards to make standing on them a bit comfortable. But the stairs never. I even asked for a kind of stairs, but they did not have...

Without any tie back free standing is maximum is 20 feet, but you would be better doing a tie back at say 10-15 foot on 20 foot lift, the normal customary limit for tubular scaffold is normally considered to be 60 feet, but this is a function of expecting loading and how its tied back etc

light duty is considered to be 25 ponds per square foot loading and heavy duty is 75 pounds per square footing loading

Please do not use wheels even with a two lift scaffold, ie around 3.5m in height see too many accidents over the years with scaffolds and wheels, not a good combination

use the proper sole plates, if the ground is soft scaffolding boards or similar under the sole plates, ie spread the load properly

Metal scaffold is sold in any builders merchant store in Buriram. Proper steel decking to use as a work platform is also available. The stairs which attach are also available, but watch your head when walking on those metal stairs. Some chain stores import metal scaffolding from China, other stores offer made in Thailand scaffolding that must meet Thai standards to be on the construction site of a major building project. I have seen aluminum metal scaffolding offered for sale at the architect Expo that was imported from the USA. Wheels can be locking or non locking. Buriram also has at least one rental business that also rents shuttering to use while concrete is poured. I've seen the blue metal scaffolding for rent near the Buriram Robinson Lifestyle Center.

those quick erect frames shown in the photo are unsafe at the heights shown at 3 and 4 lifts high, there is not enough rigidity in the diagonal braces and those frames can twist...I would have no problem getting up on 2 lifts of quick erect but 3 and 4 lifts high like those photos...no way

Edited by Koosdedooes

I am in Lomsak so not sure where to rent but will ask around. Thanks to all of you for info. I decided to go to metal after cracking a rib over a week ago while building wood scaffold. I would prefer to rent I feel it will be one time usage so rent would keep the cost down. I will be looking for the ones with out wheels I feel the combination of scaffold and wheels does not mix well.But it is really good to hear others are familiar with this. I only saw bamboo scaffold till the other day. Quess I did not pay attention properly before.Thanks again fr the help.

I am in Lomsak so not sure where to rent but will ask around. Thanks to all of you for info. I decided to go to metal after cracking a rib over a week ago while building wood scaffold. I would prefer to rent I feel it will be one time usage so rent would keep the cost down. I will be looking for the ones with out wheels I feel the combination of scaffold and wheels does not mix well.But it is really good to hear others are familiar with this. I only saw bamboo scaffold till the other day. Quess I did not pay attention properly before.Thanks again fr the help.

Having had experience of using the scaffolding a couple of points.

The wheels are not fixed to the scaffolding, so you can use them or not your choice. In general you will always lock the wheels before using the scaffolding. It can get real old really fast if you need to move the scaffolding often i.e. when painting, and have to keep breaking it down and rebuilding.

The levelling feet seem like a good idea but I've never seen them used.

Two units high often do not need tying in specially if they are several units long (they can connect sideways as well as up) but that will depend on what they are standing on, on concrete there is little or no need.

Three and 4 high, again it depends on what's under it, what it's being used for and if it can fall. I've used it in a situation where it can't fall over, on a concrete floor, and while interesting it wasn't dangerous

The levelling feet seem like a good idea but I've never seen them used. In our build they used steel C section and wood to build a level base and tied the scaffolding to the building. On our build there were up to 20 sets in use at one time but maybe only 2 or 3 sets of wheels, often not in use.

Personally I decided that we will have a need for some in the future so have bought 4 sets, 1 set of wheels and some scaffolding planks, total cost about 10,000 THB.

Thank you sometimewoodworker for mentioning what it will be on. I will be working with a dirt base. So i must level the ground first i suspect.

I will be only 2 units high so feel comfortable without tying it.

I had to rent (and was able to, in Phayao...I was sort of amazed....) 4 and one half sections, with wheels and the platform to lay down (your own) work area boards/plywood. I even got the wheels so it would be easy to move around. Rented it all for a week. Was impressed by it all. pg

What is the stores name in Phayao? I may need to use them. Thanks

Bought some from Thai Watsadu a year ago. They are sturdy enough to the 3 levels I need with bracing on both sides at each level. My only complaint is that they start to show rust marks quite quickly.

Without any tie back free standing is maximum is 20 feet, but you would be better doing a tie back at say 10-15 foot on 20 foot lift, the normal customary limit for tubular scaffold is normally considered to be 60 feet, but this is a function of expecting loading and how its tied back etc

light duty is considered to be 25 ponds per square foot loading and heavy duty is 75 pounds per square footing loading

Please do not use wheels even with a two lift scaffold, ie around 3.5m in height see too many accidents over the years with scaffolds and wheels, not a good combination

use the proper sole plates, if the ground is soft scaffolding boards or similar under the sole plates, ie spread the load properly

Thanks. For the efforts

I have no idea about imperial units.

They are also not thought on schools as they do not belong to SI units. But I really appreciate your efforts.

20' = 6.0 m

60' = 18 m

25 pounds per square foot = 1.2 Kpa

75 pounds per square foot = 3.6 Kpa

I was brought up on SI, but had to learn imperial very quickly many years ago, and for the most part comfortable working with either /or both together biggrin.png