Sihanoukville is top choice for Russia flight plan

geovalin

Regularly scheduled direct flights between Cambodia and Russia proposed by Prime Minister Hun Sen last week in Moscow might land in the coastal town of Sihanoukville, an official said yesterday.

Cambodia has already signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for direct flights in 2015, and last week’s talks were hoped to speed up implementation, Tourism Minister Thong Khon said.

“In the meeting [last week], the Russian prime minister pushed for a direct flight from Russia to Sihanoukville,” he said, adding that Dmitry Medvedev expressed that a seaside destination would be the most popular option.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national

Why not?

​From nothing a couple of years ago, Sihanoukville airport is now attracting flights from Ho Chi Minh, Kunming and soon probably a host of other cities in the region. I do find it interesting that there is a flight to China but no flights to Thailand, Hanoi, Laos, Singapore or Malaysia, which I would have expected to see first and now a long-haul flight to Russia is on the cards.

Nha Trang, Vietnam has direct flights to Russia. The Russians have abandoned

Thailand and have found greener pastures elsewhere. Cheaper, cleaner, and

the locals are friendly and helpful. Of course Russia has few options for visa

free travel so this should be expected. If the Vietnamese and Cambodian government

offered visa free travel to G20 countries and major international airlines started

service to Saigon, Nha Trang, Da Nang, Hanoi, Phnom Penh, Sihanoukville

I think Thai tourism would take a significant hit. I also think Vietnam is ready to

offer that visa free travel with their new one year visa for Americans. Thailand

watch out. Vietnam and Cambodia are going to eat your lunch. whistling.gif