Visa for holiday for thai spouse to spain

If you're talking about a Schengen visa then yes, well almost.

The applicant should apply at the Consulate with responsibility for where they they intend to spend most time, ie the main destination. If there is no main destination, ie a 50/50 split, then they should apply at the Consulate with responsibility for the Port of entry into the Schengen Area.

If you're talking about a Schengen visa then yes, well almost.

The applicant should apply at the Consulate with responsibility for where they they intend to spend most time, ie the main destination. If there is no main destination, ie a 50/50 split, then they should apply at the Consulate with responsibility for the Port of entry into the Schengen Area.

Just read a thread on the 'apply VFS apply direct' with all the non required ducuments being required and the Spanish embassy pushing people to not apply directly etc.

Is the situation still the same ?

@overherebc

I don't know if they're now complying with the Schengen Rules, VFS do say this on their website.

Short-term visa applications can be submitted at the Visa Application Centre in Bangkok without prior appointment. Please note that you can also submit the application at the Embassy, but you will need to schedule an appointment at [email protected].

If you wish to apply for a Long term visa, please contact the Embassy ([email protected]).

But I've no idea if they insist on evidence that isn't strictly speaking required, like the certification of a marriage certificate that shouldn't be required and most Consulates won't do anyway. VFS do indicate that the Spanish Consular Staff don't in fact stick to the rules..

Spouses of EU / SCHENGEN / UK Citizens are advised to submit an approval letter of Marriage from their respective Embassies along with the Thai Marriage Certificate. Just a stamp on the Thai Marriage Certificate from the respective Embassy will not be adequate.

Some members have locked horns with the Spanish, maybe one of these guys may respond.

• Like 1

Thanks.

My wife is the kind of person that doesn't kowtow to anyone so it could be interesting.

Well then your holiday might end up being in the rain in phuket. Edited by bubba1

Thanks.

My wife is the kind of person that doesn't kowtow to anyone so it could be interesting.

Well then your holiday might end up being in the rain in phuket.

Doubt that very much.

Been there once and it's now the last place I would think about.

It will be overseas, maybe even Italy as I've heard it's easier to get the visa than most places. Mate has been there twice with his wife in the past couple of years.

Edited by overherebc

.......maybe even Italy as I've heard it's easier to get the visa than most places. Mate has been there twice with his wife in the past couple of years.

We've found by far the easiest to deal is The Netherlands, my girlfriend has got a couple of visas from them, last one being three months shy of the validity of her passport, issued free as my long term partner, I'm British.

Her Italian one was also issued without fuss as was her first French one. She encountered a problem with her second French application as they had calculated that we would be spending a few hours longer on Italian soil than French, though we were entering and departing Schengen via Paris, twice.

I'm just wondering if UK votes to leave the EU how that might change things.

I suspect it would change but not overnight, I would expect negotiations to take a couple of years, at least.

Yep. Once asked a polititian if he could make a fast decision and he said I'll let you know tomorrow.

I have found the Italian and Swiss Embassies to be the best for issuing Visas, have had many issues with the German Embassy.

The Italian was a pleasant experience and since I am an EU Citizen was a very quick and professional process.

I have found the Italian and Swiss Embassies to be the best for issuing Visas, have had many issues with the German Embassy.

The Italian was a pleasant experience and since I am an EU Citizen was a very quick and professional process.

Did you use direct or go through VFS

• I recently looked at the Spanish requirements for a holiday visa. They wanted details of salary, employment contracts, flights, hotels and about 100 other things. See below biggrin.png ................... it would be much easier to just go to Thailand. Travelling for 16 hours would be a lot less than the time it would take to get through this load of tripe below....................oh, and you also might find the nearest Spanish Embassy is nowhere near where you live. The nearest one to me is 50 miles away which would need time off work also.

General required documents for a Spain Visa Application:

• Firstly, download the application form, fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Spain Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
  • 2 photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background
  • Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
  • A copy of your return-ticket reservation. It is not recommended to purchase the ticket before obtaining the visa – if not otherwise required
  • Travel medical insurance confirmation of minimum 30,000€ coverage within Spain and the entire Schengen area
  • A cover letter stating the purpose of visit to Spain and itinerary
  • Hotel and flight ticket reservations (if applicable)
  • Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
If employed:
  • Employment contract
  • Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
  • Leave permission from employer
  • Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary

Edited by Rob180

• I recently looked at the Spanish requirements for a holiday visa. They wanted details of salary, employment contracts, flights, hotels and about 100 other things. See below biggrin.png ................... it would be much easier to just go to Thailand. Travelling for 16 hours would be a lot less than the time it would take to get through this load of tripe below....................oh, and you also might find the nearest Spanish Embassy is nowhere near where you live. The nearest one to me is 50 miles away which would need time off work also.

General required documents for a Spain Visa Application:

Those are the requirements for a regular Schengen visa, for spouses (and those in a durable relationship) and other direct non-EU family members of an EU/EEA/CH national more relaxed rules apply. No visa fee, almost no documentation (basically proof of ID, proof of family relation, some indication of traveling together) and an accelerated procedure.

Those should (and were) mentioned by the Spaniards, though they also illegally insist of "proof of registration of the marriage in the EU citizens home country" (see The Old Git's reply a few posts up). Plus that the Spaniards aren't keen on direct applications, trying to make people bugger of to VFS (less competent, costs a servce fee) dispite the VFS site correctly saying that they are optional (by the rules one has right of direct access to the embassy without VFS or other third party).

Edited by Donutz
  • Like 1

Thanks for clarifying Donutz. To be honest I've gone brain-numb the past week after trying to decipher FLR Guidance Notes. If I see another set of these or similar I might be certified. I think I'll just stick to holidays in the UK or Thailand for the next 2.5 yearsbiggrin.png

Edited by Rob180

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at a month in Spain next April to get away from the Thai hot season.

I am determined to avoid the dog's dinner that I experienced this year with an Italian Schengen application.

I will plan more carefully but if there are any unmarried Brits in a 'durable relationship' who have recent experience of 'Spanish applications' I would appreciate your feedback.

Can't help you with Spain, Jip, but my long term girlfriend applied for a visa from the Dutch Consulate as the unmarried partner of me, a Brit, they didn't need money in the bank or anything, just proof that we're together, a joint lease did it, they issued her with a visa valid for two years.

• Like 2