Belgium's prisons called 'apocalyptic'

webfact

Belgian prisoners released from 'inhumane' jails
By Mick Krever, CNN

Brussels, Belgium (CNN)Still reeling from terrorist attacks, Belgium's prison system has now become "apocalyptic."

So says Alain Onkelinx, vice president of the Wallonian parliament in Belgium's French-speaking region.

Prison guards in that region have been on strike for weeks, protesting what they say has been financial belt-tightening, the government's failure to replace retiring guards, and inflexible working hours that limit their ability to do social work with prisoners.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/05/24/europe/belgium-prisons/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2016-05-25

Well, they can always ask to be transferred to a Thai prison.

I am sure they will appreciate the way they are treated in a Thai prison and enjoy the 5 star food.

It the prison officers that are striking and complaining. Not the convicts.

Belgium, the most dysfunctional of the Western EU countries. Great choice to put the EU HQ.

I am sure they will appreciate the way they are treated in a Thai prison and enjoy the 5 star food.

Belgium, the most dysfunctional of the Western EU countries. Great choice to put the EU HQ.

Well luckily the HQ is not in the UK, might be a problem soon.

I have always felt that prisons should, by design, be a miserable frigging place to live...to discourage a criminal from a repeat performance...

If you want to be treated like a member of a Country Club...get a real job and pay your dues...

I have always felt that prisons should, by design, be a miserable frigging place to live...to discourage a criminal from a repeat performance...

If you want to be treated like a member of a Country Club...get a real job and pay your dues...

In fact EXACTLY the opposite is the case. For profit harsh treatment prisons in the US 80% recidivism rate, complete focus on humane treatment and repatriation back into society in Norway 20% recidivism rate.

So how you 'feel' couldn't be further from reality.

In fact EXACTLY the opposite is the case. For profit harsh treatment prisons in the US 80% recidivism rate, complete focus on humane treatment and repatriation back into society in Norway 20% recidivism rate.

Norway has a grand total of 3,800 prisoners, compared to 2.2 million in the United States. Dividing those numbers by the total population in each country yields similar percentages (approximately 7.5%) of population incarcerated. The difference lies in the amount of money available to the government to reform and rehabilitate its prisoners.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/business/3-reasons-why-norways-prison-system-should-not-be-replicated-in-america.html/?a=viewall

Norway has a grand total of 3,800 prisoners, compared to 2.2 million in the United States. Dividing those numbers by the total population in each country yields similar percentages (approximately 7.5%) of population incarcerated. The difference lies in the amount of money available to the government to reform and rehabilitate its prisoners.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/business/3-reasons-why-norways-prison-system-should-not-be-replicated-in-america.html/?a=viewall

The way you 'feel' is as dysfunctional as your Math. Population of Norway is 5.1M(2014)

Incarceration rate in Norway is 75 per 100,000 (2014) population compared to 707 per 100,000 population in the USA. USA has the highest rate of incarceration in the developed world and is nearly 10 times that of Norway. The two main driving factors are more prisoners mean more profit and punishment and ill treatment rather than rehabilitation back into the community and a low recidivism rate.

So the main difference is prisoners for profit and punishment and ill treatment rather than basic human respect and rehabilitation.

The Prison guards should be admired for standing up for their rights and in turn the rights of prisoners to be treated as humans and a focus on rehabilitation. It is the State and the citizens who are the idiots here.

The way you 'feel' is as dysfunctional as your Math. Population of Norway is 5.1M(2014)

Incarceration rate in Norway is 75 per 100,000 (2014) population compared to 707 per 100,000 population in the USA. USA has the highest rate of incarceration in the developed world and is nearly 10 times that of Norway. The two main driving factors are more prisoners mean more profit and punishment and ill treatment rather than rehabilitation back into the community and a low recidivism rate.

So the main difference is prisoners for profit and punishment and ill treatment rather than basic human respect and rehabilitation.

The Prison guards should be admired for standing up for their rights and in turn the rights of prisoners to be treated as humans and a focus on rehabilitation. It is the State and the citizens who are the idiots here.

Typical lefty solution "Treat prisoners with respect".

I'd have them breaking rocks all day every day.

If they wish to re-offend, up to them, they can go back and break some more rocks.

It's not the duty of the prisons to reform people in my opinion, that should be left to the probation service and the offender's conscience.

I won't argue you point of recidivism however it seems like the figure 75 per 100,000 vs. 707 per 100,000 incarceration rate says something in and of itself. Not knowing what percentage of the 75 or 707 is recidivism, it looks like there are quite a few more individuals getting in trouble in the first place in the USA vs. Norway. So what that says about society in each of these countries might be something to look at. Maybe the USA has just got a bigger problem with criminals in society at large than Norway.

I won't argue you point of recidivism however it seems like the figure 75 per 100,000 vs. 707 per 100,000 incarceration rate says something in and of itself. Not knowing what percentage of the 75 or 707 is recidivism, it looks like there are quite a few more individuals getting in trouble in the first place in the USA vs. Norway. So what that says about society in each of these countries might be something to look at. Maybe the USA has just got a bigger problem with criminals in society at large than Norway.

Where would you like to start. Public Health, Public Education, Gun Control, drug addiction treated as a health issue, social inclusion, demilitarised police force that serves the people, minimal racism, respect for human rights, fair distribution of wealth, a set minimum wage, strong unions representing the worker, pretty much the reverse of the USA. achieving very different outcomes.

Belgium permits a fractured society Muslim slums of high unemployment, little access to social benefits and education, porous borders allowing free movement of weapons and prisons that foster hatred. Treat a section of your community like animals they will bite you. Treat a dog cruelly he will bite you too as sure as the sun comes up in the morning.

I am sure Belgium inhumane prison conditions would be 5 star luxury across Asia, Africa,

South and Central America, and even some jails in the US. coffee1.gif

I am sure Belgium inhumane prison conditions would be 5 star luxury across Asia, Africa,

South and Central America, and even some jails in the US. coffee1.gif

Don't be so sure about this. If they're anything like most of our prisons here in France (and they probably are from what I've been told) it's really 3rd world standards.

Not all Thai prisons are like the Bangkok Hilton too. I recall visiting a friend who's made a stay in a prison upcountry and it wasn't that bad, according to him. Extremely crowded cells for sure, but much less violence and criminality going on than in many French prisons and most of the time spent on the prison yard.

I "feel" that the word "feel" makes you "feel" uncomfortable and clouds your judgement...I sited a reference for my info...not so you...how does that make you "feel"?

I "feel" that the word "feel" makes you "feel" uncomfortable and clouds your judgement...I sited a reference for my info...not so you...how does that make you "feel"?

No but it should make you 'feel' uncomfortable. Your reference is drivel that you haven't fact checked as the percentages you quoted from it are clearly wrong.

4K of 5.1M is 0.08%

2.2M of 381M is 0.69%

These types of comparisons are expressed as number per 100,000 population. % doesn't really reflect the comparison very well.

75 people per 100,000 and 707 people per 100,000 quickly relays incarceration rates are nearly 10X.

7.5% of 381M would be 28.5M people incarcerated

7.5% of 5.1M would be 380K people incarcerated

No need to provide a citation. The maths is clearly incorrect.

Typical lefty solution "Treat prisoners with respect".

I'd have them breaking rocks all day every day.

If they wish to re-offend, up to them, they can go back and break some more rocks.

It's not the duty of the prisons to reform people in my opinion, that should be left to the probation service and the offender's conscience.

i am old enough to remember seeing chain gangs working the roadsides. This was a strong deterrent to crime. Nowadays in europe they spend most of the prison time engaged in console gaming, forced romance, internet trolling and praying - exactly as they would if still at home. No wonder it's apocalyptic, probably most nu-Belgians are desperate for a room in prison and let nanny state take care of them.

My English must be very bad (4th language) or you misunderstood my answer.

The meaning was to transfer the prison guards to a Thai prison and let them work here.

Let's see how long they would be unhappy with their work in Belgium prisons.

It does not discourage them : having bad prisons just make them even bitter, get close to other criminals, get more connexions with them and of course more hate...

Prison should be for reinsertion as well...not only punishment. Not all the convicted are mass murderers there...Believe it or not you even have innocents in prions or people waiting for trial who may be freed once proven innocent...

My English must be very bad (4th language) or you misunderstood my answer.

The meaning was to transfer the prison guards to a Thai prison and let them work here.

Let's see how long they would be unhappy with their work in Belgium prisons.

The story is about belgium prison officers.....get it...got it....good!

Why do you bring thaland into the equation?.......Do you know anything about belgium prison guard's working conditions?

Anyway......i wouldn't follow a thai model on anything as a way of good practice