Ex-dictator Marcos will be allowed hero’s burial: Duterte

webfact

Ex-dictator Marcos will be allowed hero’s burial: Duterte

92_Duterte-wpcf_728x410.jpg

MANILA: -- President-elect Rodrigo Duterte said on Monday that the late president Ferdinand Marcos would be allowed a hero’s burial in the Philippines, reported the Manila Times on Tuesday.

He also said that former president Gloria Arroyo who is being detained at a military hospital while on trial for corruption and vote fraud would be granted a pardon.

The announcements by Duterte are sure to cause an uproar among critics who warned ahead of his May 9 landslide election win that he was a dictator in the making with no regard for the rule of law.

But Duterte said he was prepared to risk nationwide unrest on the flashpoint issues surrounding two of the nation’s most controversial figures.

The Davao city mayor said he would grant a long-standing wish of the family of Marcos to have the late president buried at a Manila cemetery for some of the nation’s most revered heroes.

“I will allow the burial of Marcos in the Heroes Cemetery not because he was a hero but because of was a Filipino soldier,” he told reporters.

Marcos, while in the office, was accused of plundering US$10 billion from the state coffers. He died in Hawaii after he and his family fled to the US in 1986 after millions took to the street in what was called the “the People Power” revolution.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164700

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-25

Most of my friends from and in the Philippines, including my ex and in-laws, are not fans of Marcos but strongly support Duterte, whether left, right, middle of the road in their views. He's also said that he will bring the CPP into his government. It sounds to me like a policy of reconciliation and I don't think that's a bad thing. He should also bring in the mainstream Muslim groups (he may be actually), and I think he will crush Abu Sayyaf at last... Additionally he has been a strong supporter of the LGBT community in the Philippines. I'm reserving my opinion, but from all I've seen and what my friends and family say, I feel optimistic.

Most of my friends from and in the Philippines, including my ex and in-laws, are not fans of Marcos but strongly support Duterte, whether left, right, middle of the road in their views. He's also said that he will bring the CPP into his government. It sounds to me like a policy of reconciliation and I don't think that's a bad thing. He should also bring in the mainstream Muslim groups (he may be actually), and I think he will crush Abu Sayyaf at last... Additionally he has been a strong supporter of the LGBT community in the Philippines. I'm reserving my opinion, but from all I've seen and what my friends and family say, I feel optimistic.

Yes, I live there and I support him and pray we have chosen well.

Again, difficult to understand why so many people voted him into the presidency.

For the same reasons Trump stands a good chance of being elected--disgruntled voters grabbing at any chance to

change things.

Again, difficult to understand why so many people voted him into the presidency.

Their emotions were high on hope and sadly have come crashing down as is the case with actions of most elected officials. The election party is over now its back to business as usual in politics shafting the electorate. Another pinata president and your stuck with him for years. Did you really expect something different????

same here, saw on my friends feed they were supporting Duterte, they posted videos of corruption during Marcos era. But I wonder how they feel about this new news now....

same here, saw on my friends feed they were supporting Duterte, they posted videos of corruption during Marcos era. But I wonder how they feel about this new news now....

Perhaps many locals are sick of people like the guy just going - very little in terms of clever strategies or real actions to make any real change?

Interesting to hear that Gloria Arroyo is going to get a pardon.

She and Bill Clinton were classmates at Georgetown University, Class of 1968.

Bill and Gloria have been at the center of some the most jaw-dropping political scandals in recent times.

Clinton was the star of arguably the most bizarre sexual fiasco in the history of American politics.

And Gloria Arroyo? Just Google "Hello Garci​", "Jocjoc Bolante", "NBN", "Mike Arroyo".

It would be fascinating to drill down on the kind of political education they shared at Georgetown, for both Arroyo and Clinton built impressive careers, but as human beings they were rotten at the core.

"Marcos, while in the office, was accused of plundering US$10 billion from the state coffers. He died in Hawaii after he and his family fled to the US in 1986 after millions took to the street in what was called the “the People Power” revolution."

Yeah, so when Marcos fled the Philippines, after plundering US$10 billion from the state coffers, he went to Hawaii.

Is it true that Washington did NOT allow him to go to mainland USA ??? :)
Why ? Is it because Washington did not want Marcos in California or in New York, that's because his presence in mainland America would highlight the issue that HE might have been a Washington puppet during his time as leader of the Philippines ?

Marcos was, after all, backed by Washington during his time in power, right ?

post-90851-0-33463400-1464323801_thumb.j

And here is a photo of Ferdinand Marcos. Yes, Marcos was actually a Chinese man who was leader of the Philippines.

post-90851-0-23788000-1464324011_thumb.j

And the above photo is Marcos with his wife, Imelda, this photo was taken at Clark Air Base, back in the late 1970s. Clark Air Base. Yes, Marcos had no problems with the American soldiers there. :)