Meters & Taxis In Bangkok

mijan24

Friend and I popped down to Bangkok for a couple of days. Festivities complete wanted a taxi to bus Station - T-Driver's said don't know where you wish to go to or on a yes hop in refused to turn on the meter cost stated 500 baht. Spoke to tourist police - reply not their concern?????

Great advert for the tourist industry in Thailand.

Has anyone else experienced this of late???? :o

The automatic assumption when you enter a metered taxi anyplace in the world is that the driver will use the meter. If the driver asks for a fixed amount, you have every right to refuse the offer. If you refuse the offer, the driver can either choose to let you off and find another cab, or take you to your destination at which point it will be up to you what amount if any to pay. I don't really see any need for the tourist police to get involved if you agreed to what the driver asked for. If you didn't agree and he still drove you to your destination, simply get out and don't pay him if you don't want to. Or pay him what you think is fair if you want. It is totally up to you at that point because he didn't use the meter, and the driver, nor anyone else has any say-so in what you should pay. If the driver thinks you've stiffed him, then it should be he who needs to call the police and not you. But in reality it's very unlikely he'll do anything except complain loudly because he is the one who's doing something illegal and having police come would be the last thing he wants. Why some people think they should pay a crooked taxi driver anything more than what's fair is beyond me. Maybe they're just intimidated by the driver and/or being in a foreign country.

BTW, there is a number you can call to report these dishonest taxi drivers. There was a thread about it just yesterday I think. Maybe use the search feature if you want to read how to report him.

Edited by Soju

The automatic assumption when you enter a metered taxi anyplace in the world is that the driver will use the meter. If the driver asks for a fixed amount, you have every right to refuse the offer. If you refuse the offer, the driver can either choose to let you off and find another cab, or take you to your destination at which point it will be up to you what amount if any to pay. I don't really see any need for the tourist police to get involved if you agreed to what the driver asked for. If you didn't agree and he still drove you to your destination, simply get out and don't pay him if you don't want to. Or pay him what you think is fair if you want. It is totally up to you at that point because he didn't use the meter, and the driver, nor anyone else has any say-so in what you should pay. If the driver thinks you've stiffed him, then it should be he who needs to call the police and not you. But in reality it's very unlikely he'll do anything except complain loudly because he is the one who's doing something illegal and having police come would be the last thing he wants. Why some people think they should pay a crooked taxi driver anything more than what's fair is beyond me. Maybe they're just intimidated by the driver and/or being in a foreign country.

BTW, there is a number you can call to report these dishonest taxi drivers. There was a thread about it just yesterday I think. Maybe use the search feature if you want to read how to report him.

Its on the bottom of the distance/cost chart in every taxi..

Always ask for the meter to be turned on....if refused..get out.

I was happy with the treatment I recieved from the tourist police(camera stolen) Hope you have better luck next time. Dont let this tarnish your image of Thailand too much, chalk it up as a lesson learned !

Except if you're on Silom Road after 10 o'clock at night, then try finding a cab who will use a meter... they're all in it together...

:o

Easy - just go to the side of Silom road where Soi Convent is, opposite side to Pat Pong. They're all pretty reasonable on that side of the road.

Except if you're on Silom Road after 10 o'clock at night, then try finding a cab who will use a meter... they're all in it together...

Probably what you already do, but for the OP, if near a skytrain entrance and this is an issue, they can take the skytrain in the general direction where they want to go. There are normally cabs near skytrain entrances that are no hassle.

Easy - just go to the side of Silom road where Soi Convent is, opposite side to Pat Pong. They're all pretty reasonable on that side of the road.

Absolutely. There is no problem at all getting a metered taxi even in patpong no matter what the hour! Yes, the queue parked there hugging the exit typically don't want to use them. Why? Because there are plenty of suckers willing to be taken for a ride. But as you say the other side of the street they use the meter; every single one of them in my experience. Anyone who gets in a taxi without the meter on is being overcharged. As many empty taxi's as there are running around everywhere in Bangkok, there is no reason to accept this.

if the driver refuses to turn on the meter.....take a piece (any piece) of paper and a pen.....start to (do so as if u would) note down the complaint phone number/drivers identy card number .... and WAIT what his reaction will be .... he almost sure gonna change his mind and switch on the meter...(at least he will learn a lesson and probalby realise that not every farang is a total fool)

For the record, the numbers are:

or

Also, rather than moaning, a TV member's campaign of complaints against the handgers-on outside Patpong, Pratunam/Indra, Soi Cowboy/Asoke etc. would kick the small minority of corrupt taxi drivers right where it hurts!

Edited by bkkandrew

if the driver refuses to turn on the meter.....take a piece (any piece) of paper and a pen.....start to (do so as if u would) note down the complaint phone number/drivers identy card number .... and WAIT what his reaction will be .... he almost sure gonna change his mind and switch on the meter...(at least he will learn a lesson and probalby realise that not every farang is a total fool)

The trouble is, do you really want to be driven around Bangkok by an angry taxi driver? Especially if you live in the suburbs. Better to get out and leave his back door open.

Anyway, the only place where I've almost had to admit defeat with getting a taxi to go where I want (not reusing to put the meter on, just refusing to even let me in the cab) is on the main road outside RCA after all the RCA bars have shut. Eventually I've always managed to find one, but it has taken me literally dozens of cabs sometimes.

I was on crutches and needed a taxi to get to the nearby hospital (in the direction of traffic too). The first 3 taxis refused to turn on the meter. I believed that once they had a good look of my physical condition, they thought they could take advantage of me. I didn't get in and I didn't bother to argue with them since I already had enough to worry about. Besides, nothing worse than a pissed off driver tearing up the streets with me in the taxi.

The fourth one stopped and used the meter. And I gave him a big tip.

Also, I have a very hard time getting taxis to turn on their meter to go to the new airport. Before, with DM, taxis are thrilled to have a far out that way. They do love speeding on the tollway.

Seriously, why people continue to get into the taxis that refuse to put on their meters is beyond me. If they don't do it, say no thanks, shut the door and ask another. There are plenty of drivers who will put the meter on.

I tell them "no meter no go" :o:D:D:D:D

Seriously, why people continue to get into the taxis that refuse to put on their meters is beyond me. If they don't do it, say no thanks, shut the door and ask another. There are plenty of drivers who will put the meter on.

Exactly. When I get Taxi drivers that are rude or trying to pull some scam I just let go of the door, but I don't shut it. Really makes their day!

I remember one time getting in a cab with a friend near Patpong to go to Cowboy. As we pulled away we told the driver to put the meter on. He turned to us and gave us a bizarre explanation about how the meter was built into the speedometer and it was all automatic. We had a good laugh at that and then he turned the meter on :o

It doesn't happen very often, but if I get in a cab and the driver won't turn the meter on I tell him to pull over and get out. No words, no drama, just get out of the cab and find another one.

1) Never argue with a taxy driver, you will simply be a number in the statistic related to suicide in thailand.

2) smile, be polite, say thanks, and walk out.

3) Do not slam the door, he can complain to the police you broke something in his car, let the door wide open (farang politness).

4) STOP a taxy that is drivng, not one from the queue, because they are all in the same mood (rip of the drunken person coming from the bars)

5) Do not be mistaken, they rip off without any consideration of the race, farang and thai alike.

6) better to live near a BTS or an MRT station, like that you will not use taxy

I would be curious who ends up with more money at the end of the night. The taxi that takes everyone on meter or the guys that wait all night for 1 person at MBK. My bet is the guy that works harder.

You will find that if you are in places where there are large congregations of people especially with a large mix of Farangs many will simply not turn on the meter. A short walk will usually allow you to find someone though. If you end up away from the Sukumvit crowd or Farang heavy places this isn't nearly as big an issue. They are however pretty good at judgeing people and are not above charging locals as they would farangs. It business to them. Not personal.

I agree, it is a very tough way to make a baht.

I don't get angry, he's trying to put food on the table as best he can and anybody is fair game.

That doesn't mean you have to be the sucker of the moment.

Just be polite and find another one, no need to get into something nasty that you most likely won't win.

This is not to take one side or the other in the "what to do if no meter" argument, but however one looks at it, Bkk taxi drivers earn a pittance for the work they do.

Tim

Well Tim, if that, they should think to hire themself as buffalo in some farm.

Well, I met some taxy drivers pretty good, polite, working hard. Those people mostly look pretty good, and I think they earn what they deserve (mean correct money).

I also met taxy driver who were drunk at 11am, or not enable to read thai or even speak thai (according the tourist station the guy was spoken lao/issan only and nver went to school long enought to learn how to read).Or the usual who supposing you do not know the road is going to give you the big tour ....

So no generalisation, I do believe (and I witness it also) Taxy who do honestly their job have correct earning, and those who try to take advantage well, how to say, they got what they deserve.

1) Never argue with a taxy driver, you will simply be a number in the statistic related to suicide in thailand.

Hmm, no matter how an argument goes with a taxi driver, I don't think it would upset me enough to make me commit suicide... :o

2) smile, be polite, say thanks, and walk out.

3) Do not slam the door, he can complain to the police you broke something in his car, let the door wide open (farang politness).

4) STOP a taxy that is drivng, not one from the queue, because they are all in the same mood (rip of the drunken person coming from the bars)

5) Do not be mistaken, they rip off without any consideration of the race, farang and thai alike.

I know what you mean though, sound advice there really, except this last point which is no good after 12:00 when the BTS and MRT are both closed:

6) better to live near a BTS or an MRT station, like that you will not use taxy

I think you should better get off the taxi. If he takes you after this simulation, the ride will not be very pleasant for the driver neither for you (bad mood).

Just get out and look for another one...

Friend and I popped down to Bangkok for a couple of days. Festivities complete wanted a taxi to bus Station - T-Driver's said don't know where you wish to go to or on a yes hop in refused to turn on the meter cost stated 500 baht. Spoke to tourist police - reply not their concern?????

I do not believe that haggling comes under the jurisdiction of the Tourist Police.

Next time you go to Bangkok, perhaps you should ensure you are in the company of an adult... :o

I do not believe that haggling comes under the jurisdiction of the Tourist Police.

Next time you go to Bangkok, perhaps you should ensure you are in the company of an adult... :D

What kind of rubbish is that? Its not about haggling its about the fact he refused the turn on the meter and demanded 500 baht....which is illegal btw.

Still like everyone else when that happens to me I just get out and find another one. Did have a laugh one time when the guy told me the meter was faulty and tried to demonstrate by not pressing the "Start" button on the meter properly. I pressed it for him and low and behold it came on :o Then I got out and found another taxi

I lived in BKK for a year (5 years ago) and only once did I get quoted a price.

When I went for a weekend in May about 50% were at it. Why is there such a change?

You just have to persevere!

The main reason for the change in attitude is probably because meter taxis are too cheap. The prices haven't increased in years despite inflation and increased oil prices. I have some sympathy towards them and believe that a doubling of the price would not be unreasonable.

That said, I won't get into a taxi without a meter either!

Next time you go to Bangkok, perhaps you should ensure you are in the company of an adult... :D

What kind of rubbish is that? Its not about haggling its about the fact he refused the turn on the meter and demanded 500 baht....which is illegal btw.

Oh is it? :D

Quote the statute... :o

I lived in BKK for a year (5 years ago) and only once did I get quoted a price.

When I went for a weekend in May about 50% were at it. Why is there such a change?

You just have to persevere!

The main reason for the change in attitude is probably because meter taxis are too cheap. The prices haven't increased in years despite inflation and increased oil prices. I have some sympathy towards them and believe that a doubling of the price would not be unreasonable.

That said, I won't get into a taxi without a meter either!

Doubling would probably be going a bit far, but a starting price of maybe 50 Baht or so would probably be a good idea and sort some of these problems out.