Meters & Taxis In Bangkok

mijan24

Is this a case of TIT, I wonder?

a ) cab drivers refuse to turn on the meter

b ) cab drivers "don't like" your destination and refuse going there

Strange country...

Not strange at all. Happens all over the world except where taxis are heavily regulated and the regulations are strongly enforced. I could name a dozen different countries just in Asia where these practices are common.

The case of taxis not turning on the meter to go to the new airport is not uncommon unfortunately, but in some ways I can now understand why.

They are hoping to get enough that they dont need to sit in the queue out there waiting for a fare back to the city.

The reason is that the holding yard out there is in direct sun with no shade available, there are litteraly hundreds of cabs in the queue and they get to wait for hours to get a fare back.

I definitely do not condone them refusing to open the meter, but I now realise why many dont want to.

I am not sure what we can do about it, but it's at least more understandable than the crims who refuse to open a meter after they have been hanging around outside the "Pong" or Cowboy or some such venue.

Those guys are simply lazy ar*eholes who want easy money.

Just walk past them and hail a passing taxi, before getting in, tell him where you want to go and say "Bert meter my?" (means letteraly "Open meter (or) not?" - this is not correct spelling of Anglicised Thai, but hopefully useful for those who dont speak Thai - it is more or less correct pronunciation, although without the tones, if you read it as if they are English words).

It is close enough that most taxi drivers should understand what you mean - if he says no - "My bert" (not open) or responds in english about the meter being broken, just dont get in... there are LOTS more...if he is happy to take you, he will probably wave you in and then open the meter.

Just walk past them and hail a passing taxi, before getting in, tell him where you want to go and say "Bert meter my?" (means letteraly "Open meter (or) not?" - this is not correct spelling of Anglicised Thai, but hopefully useful for those who dont speak Thai - it is more or less correct pronunciation, although without the tones, if you read it as if they are English words).

(For Americans, skip the 'r's as an Englishman or Aussie would do - there are no 'r' sounds anywhere.)

And if you're going to try to speak Thai, I think it would be wise to throw in a 'khap' at the end as it makes the question a lot less abrupt.

Yes Meadish is right of course...I had forgotten that odd way the Americans have of trying to pronounce every letter...haha!

The addition of "khap" is a good idea, or if you are female it's "khaa"... so the result would be "Bert meter my khap?" (if you are male) or "Bert meter my khaa?" (if you are female).

Sorry I forget about it when explaining to others as it is second nature...

Greer :o

Edited by Greer

i've had drivers refuse to turn on the meter on the other side of silom road near convent at chucking out time. easy to find another one though.

sometimes ive nearly exploded when some fool has given me the runaround by going the wrong way but then i realise he is only cheating me out of about 20p. it's a stupid amount and not worth bothering about. it means a lot more to him than it does to me.

last time i went home to the uk i got a taxi from the railway station to my ma's house. there was 2.80 (200 baht) on the meter before it had started and the five minute journey cost me five quid (420 baht). that's a legal rip-off so what the bangkok bunch do isnt really a problem, is it....

No meter no go, I just keep polite and find the next cab, though keeping the door open is one I'll remind and do the next time. :o

But what do you do when you've arrived at your destination, hand over your Bahts and the driver says: "Sorry no change!"?

I've had this more than once even when paying with a 50 Baht note while the meter said 40 Baht. Before I enter a cab I always check my wallet for small notes and if only 1000 Baht notes are available I ask the driver if he has change. Since I'm never alone in the taxi, I or my GF walks to the nearest 7/11 to get the change.

It's me,

Kevin

I would be curious who ends up with more money at the end of the night. The taxi that takes everyone on meter or the guys that wait all night for 1 person at MBK.

We were leaving MBK one night last week (around 9 pm) and let me tell you that about 75% of passengers were leaving on negotiated fares at the rank. Despite that, it didn't take too long to find a metered ride, but it was accepted practice there for negotiation to take place for the majority of taxis, and most succeeded in getting their fares.

But what do you do when you've arrived at your destination, hand over your Bahts and the driver says: "Sorry no change!"?

I've had this more than once even when paying with a 50 Baht note while the meter said 40 Baht.

You must be on a tight budget. I would have thought that most Farangs would happily pay 50 baht on a 40 baht metered fare. Personally, I'd be embarrassed to ask for change.

Several factors at play here:

1) The drop is too low - the first 35 baht takes you a very long way. Increasing it to 50 baht wouldn't hurt anyone.

2) There are too many taxis in BKK for drivers to make a decent baht without working 18 hours a day. Driving a taxi isn't much fun anywhere ...and in BKK? :o

3) Too many taxis keeps fares ridiculously low.

3a) This is something for the authorities to sort out but unlikely given the abundance of people needing jobs and the benefits to visitors.

4) Given there are too many taxis, how difficult is it to get another one if the first doesn't turn on his meter?

5) Its BKK, what's the rush at midnight? Business meeting?

6) Can't find one in the city centre? Have another beer.

7) Don't make an issue with the driver, its not worth it for plenty of reasons.

Hi

I also have a certain sympathy with taxi drivers - the flag fare is sooo low, and they have to sit in traffic all day.

One driver told me that he rents his taxi from the company for 500 baht a day. And then he has to pay for petrol himself. So that's a lot of journeys before he breaks even.

On the other hand, if the driver's nasty or a real con or a perv, I wouldn't have any qualms about notifying the authorities.

We did dial the tourist police once and they DID try to help. They wanted to speak to the driver (who refused to talk to them), they asked for his license number, and it p/o the driver no end. Of course we took another taxi. I doubt that the tourist police followed it up though but at least they tried to help at the time.

BTW, usually the taxi should have the driver's name and photo ID on the dashboard, and the number of the taxi written inside the door. If these are unclear or non-existant the driver is probably not legit and will attempt 'a negotiation'.

I've only encountered this problem at Patpong. The trick there is to wait for a taxi to drop a fair off. They will always turn the meter on!

Walk up to Robinson's and get lots of moving taxis to stop. Or accross the street around BKK-Bank.

But than if haven't been to the area for some 3 years and than only to buy some Rolex, real ones of course.

Stood outside Hua Lampong with a gf. Argued with a taxi driver (outside of his taxi) who stated he would not use the meter, had two police officers standing right beside us, and half the tuk tuk population laughing at the entire situation.

When we finally decided to look for another taxi elsewhere, one of the police officers said something to the guy, and told us to come back and get into the taxi.

We argued only because we felt the police presence would make a difference.