April’s exports shrank 8 percent

webfact

April’s exports shrank 8 percent

99_export-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Exports for the month of April contracted 8 percent to US$15.1 billion after two months of positive expansion, Deputy Commerce Minister Suvit Maesinsee disclosed on Wednesday.

Imports for the same period, meanwhile, shrank 14.92 percent resulting to trade surplus in favour of Thailand amounting to US$ 721 million, he said.

Exports for the first four months of this year amounted to US$6.93 billion baht representing 1.24 percent drop while imports for the same period shrank 12.73 percent to US$6.04 billion.

Thailand’s trade surplus for the first four months amounted to US$8.9 billion.

Mr Suvit attributed to the decrease of exports for the month of April to slow global economic recovery.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164778

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-26

If I'm reading this correctly:

Exports for April = 15.1 billion dollars.

Exports for 4 months = $6.93 billion baht

(What currency is a dollar baht?)

Imports for 4 months = 6.04 billion dollars

Trade surplus for 4 months = 8.9 billion dollars

Is this what is meant by creative accounting?

Exports for the month of April contracted 8 percent

This followed a previous 1.4% decrease in export growth. This means it's unlikely Thailand will see annual growth more than 3% for 2016. The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce recently predicted that the Thai economy will expand only 3% this year based on export growth remaining stagnant. That is beginning to look overly optimistic.

BOT delayed cutting interest rates last month. I expect it will have to "double down" within the next two months with a 0.5%-0.75% rate cut to keep the baht competitive in the global export market - about the time the USA will again raise its interest rates.

And another resounding endorsement of Prayuth, Prawit and the quisling's favourite, Somkid.

And the hits just keep on coming...

Woot, even the cinema isn't as good as this.

Winnie

Grow up if that is possible. Not everything is the junta's fault. Plenty of other countries are having economic problems. Oh of course you think that is Prayuth's fault too. I am no junta lover but I try to be real.

And another resounding endorsement of Prayuth, Prawit and the quisling's favourite, Somkid.

Winnie

Grow up if that is possible. Not everything is the junta's fault. Plenty of other countries are having economic problems. Oh of course you think that is Prayuth's fault too. I am no junta lover but I try to be real.

Well the lovely General and coy are not doing anything to help.

And can we believe these figures as rightly pointed out by another member here?

14% drop in imports maybe due to farrang exiting? Chinese don't buy up. They already have it!

Winnie

Sure you are. And kindly don't be offensive, not that it worries me at all - I deal professionally with semi--educated louts with limited verbal skills every day.

But it's actually not allowed.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

Winnie

My arrival here 2 1/2 years ago was a happy time for me, but I was dismayed by the political chaos.

Prayut has brought political stability (of sorts), but economically, things do seem to be slowly going down the toilet for Thailand since 2014.

Winnie

My arrival here 2 1/2 years ago was a happy time for me, but I was dismayed by the political chaos.

Prayut has brought political stability (of sorts), but economically, things do seem to be slowly going down the toilet for Thailand since 2014.

Who do you think was part of the plot to engineer the chaos? No names, no pack-drill.