Thai Police tighten control of football gambling following PM’s concerns

webfact

Police tighten control of football gambling following PM’s concerns

BANGKOK, 26 May 2016 (NNT) – The Royal Thai Police is beefing up measures against all forms of gambling after the Prime Minister expressed his grave concerns over the impact of football betting on Thai youth.

According to Deputy National Police Spokesperson Pol Col Krisana Pattanacharoen, the National Police Chief has issued a mandate that no police officers should get involved in any kind of gambling. An ad hoc center has been set up for the prevention and suppression of football gambling during the 2016 UEFA European Championship, which is scheduled for June and July this year.

The center will be sending out both uniformed and plainclothes officers to places that are likely to serve as gambling venues and will seek to prosecute all culprits. Authorities will also inspect suspicious websites in a bid to keep online gambling at bay.

The tightening of anti-gambling measures is in line with the government’s policy. Previously, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said he was concerned about the problem of children and youth being persuaded into football gambling. The premier has thus instructed the Ministry of Education to draw up concrete measures to deter gambling behavior in students of all levels.

A survey conducted by Chulalongkorn University in 2015 suggested that the youngest gambler found in Thailand was only seven years old.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-05-26 footer_n.gif

The PM wants to put his snout in every trough and finger in every pie. The businesses that fail to provide commissions to the boys in kaki will be in for a shake up. I mean shake down of course.

Edited by Reigntax

Any reason this happens following the completion of the completion of the English soccer season?

Would it not be better to have this crackdown mid season?

Forgotten by the beginning of next season?

Getting prepared for the Euros.

Some (sporting) events they are able to forsee, its just boring stuff like floods, droughts, road accidents, fishing, people traffiking and fires that require too much effort to plan for.

So the BIB will have to start arresting themselves, look how much gambling has ' official ' protection.

My brother in law is BiB, His football gambling with his colleagues and excessive boozing led to bankruptcy.

Reminds me of how some police officers in the UK behaved in the 70's.

Edited by Baerboxer

love this, but utterly useless.

BUT.... i do support the idea of curbing gambling. So, I will send detail of exact locations, and the policeman who protects these dens to rival police teams in the next district. It seems to be working for other things. Criminals in thailand have no idea what a data trail is. or what a server is. which would be great for anyone who wishes to be a bounty hunter here.

Any reason this happens following the completion of the completion of the English soccer season?

Would it not be better to have this crackdown mid season?

Forgotten by the beginning of next season?

I might just out a fiver on your assumption being the full time result