Caring Thais

mogo51

I was knocked from my motor bike in Pattaya on Monday morning by a young Thai travelling at great speed down the wrong side of the road. He clipped me as I was starting to turn right - that in itself is not surprising.

Over I went and hit the road very hard. Very quickly I was helped to my feet and taken to the side of the road by local Thais, all of whom show great concern. Also 2 council workers appeared to assist and I was rather dazed (thank goodness for my helmet as I hit my head on the road). These 2 council workers then presented a first aid kit and told me they worked for the council as first aid officers. They were just in the right spot at the right time for me.

They cleaned and dressed my wound, the young male then tested my bike and drove it to see it was ok. I asked the cost 'no charge' I offered them some monsey for their kindness but they declined.

However, I insisted they take some money for some lunch which they did. I was so impresssed and grateful. This is a good project for the council and I applaud them for it. To the two council workers, my deepest appreciation.

Nice to hear a positive story about this type of thing. In the two cases I have been involved in (one accident myself, the other a friend I was travelling with), the locals just stood and watched, including policemen. In the case of my friend, the only guy who offered to help did so on the condition we paid him 800 baht for the privilege of him driving my friend and his motorbike to the hospital.

That's a nice story of kindness, from local Thais

Good job thumbsup.gif

And, as expected, it immediately attracted a host of negative posts.

Everybody's reading it then. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Good job thumbsup.gif

Everybody's reading it then. The good, the bad and the ugly.

I qualify one two of those

Good job thumbsup.gif

do have reading difficulties ?

Nothing negative about what i wrote. facepalm.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Lucky you. When i had a motorbike accident everything in my pockets was stolen.

Money even small change, mobile, keys.

Yes i agree most Thais are caring, but not all.

Yes, lucky you. Here in Nakhon Phanom, two girls on a motorcycle came at me in the wrong lane while passing, and I had to lay my motorcycle down to avoid a headon collision. I hit the road hard, and they, along with many others just zoomed by. Edited by Adventurer1

Posted on my B page on May 18th after my accident:

Look, I do not want to dwell on the motorbike accident but do please read about the Thai reaction. As soon as I went down there were Thai people coming to help me, get me and the motorbike off the road. A Thai Policeman came with 4 emergency service personnel appearing with a medical kit, cleaning and bandaging my wounds. They said I had to go to hospital. Sooo, a call to the wife! The ambulance came and took me to Doi Saket Hospital where Na was waiting. At the hospital the Doctor checked me, nurses cleaned the wounds and bandaged again. The ambulance took me home. Here is the kicker, my American friends. No charge for the initial emergency crew, no charge for the ambulance and the hospital cost including 4 prescriptions? $10.00 US. You see part of the reason I am here?

Good to hear it ended so well and that you were lucky people came to your help so quickly.

I only sometimes wish people would help a bit slower as helping people up and removing the motorcycle helmet can be extremely dangerous after an accident.

Ever wondered why ambulance personal normally first put a stiff collar around your neck instead of just pulling you up and taking your helmet off?

My wife has attended courses to learn how to remove a motorcycle helmet safely after an accident (as she rides on ambulances and needs to help victims), and that is after having attended 9 years of medical school including a specialization. Now imagine how well the somtam seller knows how to do it.

Never had an accident but on the one occasion that I got a flat on my motorbike, I was helped by a local Thai family who stopped, put my bike on the back of their pickup and then drove me and the bike to the nearest repair shop. I offered them some money for their time but they wouldn't take anything.

On another occasion I had stopped in the middle of a town one evening as I was having difficulty changing gear in the old car I had at the time. Two Thai guys in a delivery van stopped and approached as I was tinkering under the bonnet. We saw that the transmission fluid had been leaking and was empty. One of the guys drove to the nearest garage and came back with a bottle of fluid. Again they refused to take any money apart from the cost of the transmission fluid which was next to nothing.

I could go on but I've usually found Thais (particularly those in the villages near where I live) to go out of their way to help. The occasions I've encountered kindness from Thais far outweigh the negative encounters (and they do occur). If the only Thais you come into contact with are in red light areas on a bar stool or indeed if your main image of Thais is gleaned from your armchair reading negative stories on the internet your views will probably be a little different from mine.......:)

I don't find this surprising at all, I've seen Thas help countless times after accidents.

Good to see all the same, just don't think it is as rare as some claim.

Agree. I took a spill off my bike braking on some loose gravel in Chiang Rai. Pride mainly hurt. Within seconds I had about half a dozen Thais helping me and the bike to an upright position.clap2.gif

I have been to Thailand many times the last 46 years and now have a home outside Korat that is visit 5 - 6 months of the year. There have been many times that Thai people have given me help when needed. The last time I was driving down this little path of a road to check something. Could not turn around and had to back out. There was a ditch behind me and I could not tell because the weeds had filled it in and I thought it was level ground. I backed into the ditch and could not get out. A Thai came by and saw what happened and in no time he was back with nylon ropes to hook to his truck and pulled me out. I offered money and he refused but he had two kids with him and I gave the money to them. I have been married 44 years to a Thai and she has helped me through a couple of personal problems.

In addition to my post above, the biggest problem I have had is Thais helping who don't know how.

I was having car trouble(i have no idea about cars) one time and was stopped on the side of the road with the bonnet up when a couple of Thais stopped to help me. Initially I was happy and very appreciative, however the longer we stood there the more apparent it became that they also didn't know much about cars.

So the thought and good intentions were there....they just couldn't help so we all kind a stood there awkwardly as they didn't want to leave me after trying to help. Eventually one gave me a ride on the back of his bike to the nearest mechanic.

And what happened to the "opposite" direction rider ? Carried on and didn't stop ?

Yes, did not stop, young rider with another young pillion. As I went down, I saw him wobbling after impact, heading for a pole but he corrected and missed unfortunately. Police arrived shortly after (police box on corner) but not interested as we all know.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Still struggling a bit with the injuries but time will fix.

The negative comments are to be expected but the positive ones are the most important.